S04:E12 - Pinkie Pride  

472 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I love how you use That emoticon, it makes all that you said feels like sarcasm xD

It's not sarcasm,just a accurate portrayal of my facial expression. :maud:

Anyway, I'm back here because I finally got what's the actual problem: in the first 2 seasons, Pinkie Pie was funny, but funny like an actual person, and recently he has been funny in a more... unnatural way, is that so? Or is it just me trying too hard to understand something that is actually really simple?

You are trying too hard to understand that which is ultimately beyond human logic. So let go of your human logic and understand,then laugh. :maud:

post-27460-0-81825000-1409438797.gif

• Brohoof 4

Pinkie makes an Apple reference. So much chuckles in that one @Pinkamena-Pills

I would love to say that this is the premier episode for me in highlighting Pinkie Pie, but I can't. Not because the quality of the episode (I love this one), but because it would do a disservice to her entire body of work in all the other ones. Like some of the other Mane Six, Pinkie is a bit elusive. It's nigh impossible to point to one moment or one episode and say that, "There! That sums the character up nicely." You just can't.

In Pinkie Pride, you see her longing and distressed side again ... but not in the hopeless mode that she had exhibited twice before. That tells me that she is growing as a character when she doubts herself, but still is able to avoid going all Pinkamena. There is a beautiful structure to Pinkie Pride as well. It has a 'point/counter point' aspect to it. When you get to Pinkie's Lament - and she turns herself around mentally determined to show everyone (including Cheese) her value and her worth ... we applaud. I mean, who here didn't smile and say, 'That's my Pinkie Pie,' when she sung the line about the Real Pinkie? We were all in her corner. Here is the great thing though ... Pinkie ... and the audience ... were wrong. Pinkie didn't realize this until after the Goof Off. This is expert storytelling. Point ... counterpoint.

There is merit to learning that you have value, but that others like you have value as well. That the world is full of promising talent. That is one of the great lessons of this show. Not to be forgotten, but this episode hit a personal nerve in me. Not as deeply as the Shooting stars as AJ looks out the window in Apple Family Reunion, but it was a nerve central to my personal view of life and how we impact our own world. I believe that we are weaving a large complex tapestry, and that each act or decision adds a thread to that tapestry. A main point of Pinkie Pride was that Pinkie influenced Cheese Sandwich. One moment of Pinkie being Pinkie had such a positive life altering affect on him, yet she was completely unaware. Amazing.

How many Cheese Sandwiches have you created? How many moments have you played a role in positively impacted another human being?

I ... love ... this ... episode. :)

• Brohoof 5

• 1 month later...

Ah, Pinkie Pride, my second favorite episode of all time (only beaten by The Angels.. erm, Rarity Takes Manehattan),

And actually, NOT because of Weird Al.

It just had great songs, a good plot, a good moral and I feel it just came together well.

And the humor? I hadn't laughed so hard at an MLP episode before. It pretty much proves this show can make good humor without butchering a character. (*cough* Sleepless in Ponyville..)

When this one came out, it pretty much TOPPED A Friend in Deed, which was originally my favorite Pinkie Pie episode.

For this one.. I'll give a 10/10

Edited by Skarloey
  • Brohoof 2

This episode was awesome! Weird Al was ideal for the role of Pinkie Pie! He really was good with Pinkie's Voice (Andrea Libman) and the episode was sad and happy at the same time! I give this episode a 10/10.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is personally my favourite episode, I love Cheese Sandwich, he's so random and crazy you can't help but love him. I also like episodes with a lot of songs, and this had 10 minutes worth of song! :D

And about Weird Al, I'd never actually heard of him till I watched this episode, and therefore only liked Cheese Sandwich for his character rather then voice actor. Cheese Sandwich is my favourite pony and I really do hope we saw a lot more of him in series 5 :lol:

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, when I saw Derpy eating out the chocolate fountain I was like: "DEEEEEEERPY", but who wasn't?

yeah loved to have joined her with that , it was great to see quite a bit of derpy in this episode

• 1 month later...

This is probably in my top 5 episodes of the show, definately the funniest in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Cheese was lying about having been inspired by Pinkie.

Think about it, he's obviously older than the mane six. He even calls them "little fillies", there's no way he was a kid the same time Pinkie was.

But even more than that, he knew Pinkie was jealous of him, he's a nice guy, he wants her to be happy. So the best way to accomplish that is to make a little fib, he lied about lying in order to make Pinkie believe that she's responsible for his talents. The best way to make someone not jealous for you being better than them is to make them think you owe your success to them.

And this has precedence too, Rarity lied for Fluttershy's benefit, Fancy Pants lied for Rarity's benefit, and now Cheese lied to cheer up Pinkie. Pretty clever.

Good episode.  Good, not great.  Please don't shoot me.  I mean, Weird Al, yeah, how can you not love that?  But, idk, it wasn't my favorite.  Testing Pinkie's element was a tall order, I think.  Kinda tough to do it justice.  It was done okay, but could have been better, I think.  I thought it was really crappy of the others to just blow off Pinkie so quickly like that.  And it seemed kind of odd to me that they wouldn't question this perfect stranger who just travels around throwing parties for absolutely NO compensation.  Like, wut? 

The thing that really bothered me was Rainbow's comment: "I mean, Pinkie's parties are sweet and fun and all, but this one's gonna be EPIC!  No offense, Pinkie."  That sucked.  They all apologized in the end, but Rainbow's true feelings are out there now, and that can never be taken back.  It really reminded me of this clip.  (Poor quality, sorry.)

Peter being Rainbow, of course.

But it was ok.  I can live with it.  I've been watching through season 4, and this is the latest one I've seen, and my biggest disappointment with this season so far is there hasn't been a runaway hit song so far.  All of them have been meh for me.  Nothing I want to add to my soundtrack collection, you know?  I was hoping Weird Al would have a hit, but again, meh.  Too bad he didn't just sing Everything You Know is Wrong at Rainbow's party.

But you know who would truly be the BEST party thrower in the known world, if they'd give him a shot?  Discord.  You know I'm right.  Hey, how 'bout some chocolate rain at your birthday party, with whipped cream this time, too!

Edited by Justin_Case001

I found pinkie pride to be a good and bad episode if you have not seen it by this point i recommend watching its it's a fun and enjoyable episode for the rest still reading this spoiler warning 
the first problem well for me for this episode is well cheese sandwich played by weird al fells to much like pinkie pie But this also works in his favor because weird al is allot like pinkie in a sense   i love how the episode went and all i still found it enjoyable
the music was awesome an d pinkie and weird al both did amazing jobs 
im in the processs of actualy making a review and i rather not have people reading this for a while so yea :P

• 2 weeks later...

This one is pretty good for me. I was never in love with the idea of Weird Al guest-starring, but he was one of the strongest parts of this episode. He had a good voice for the show and his character was interesting without overwhelming the episode. Pinkie is a good counterpart for him but calling her whole identity into question doesn't really work at this point in the show. It was never about being the best at throwing parties, just making other ponies happy, and I think that could have been spelled out more clearly at the end. The songs were great and I liked the part about Cheese's cutie mark being inspired by the very first party Pinkie threw on the rock farm.

What hurts it is that the source of the whole conflict is unconvincing. As soon as Cheese Sandwich came into town, somepony should have said "thanks, but Pinkie Pie is already planning Rainbow Dash's birth-a-versary and she throws the most fun parties in Ponyville." Nopony says that; they just turn everything over to him as though Pinkie hadn't worked her tail off all day getting ready for this.

there hasn't been a runaway hit song so far.  All of them have been meh for me.  Nothing I want to add to my soundtrack collection, you know?

I personally think Apples To The Core and Stop The Bats are great songs. One is super-feelgood and the other is like something out of a Disney movie with the cool dramatic dark parts. 

Eh, I loved absolutely every song in seasons 1 and 2, but since season 3 started not a single song has been all that great in my opinion. Even Raise This Barn, which I enjoyed, I still recognize as a pretty bad song.

To me, most of the songs from the show in general are thoroughly enjoyable, and I believe they keep stepping up the production level. 
Adding to the things I said about Apples and Bats, I thought "you'll play your part" was beautiful in the finale.
Daniel Ingram is still amazing IMO, and I can't wait for what he gives us in season 5.

Rainbow Rocks was awesome too, I have most of the soundtrack on my devices.