Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many last names do you have?

TheMarkz0ne

I was adopted by my step father at age 7 when he married my mother. 

Full name is Mark Allen Surette...These are the names I went through

I was at birth Mark Allen Layhee

Then when my mom divorced by biological father when I was 2, I became Mark Allen Whitaker 

I have been Surette for almost 18 years

My paternal great grandfather's last name is Schibvoni, which is polish...

Care to share your names?

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

I also had a few stepfathers, but I have always kept my father's last name and always will. Anyway, my last name is amazing and very difficult for most people to pronounce, so I wouldn't want to change it anyway.

Edited by Gordon Freeman

One. I was born as...

(Kevin) Ohlhausen. Such long. Much name.

My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Turner. I believe Scottish?

My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Richter. Obviously German.

Edited by Twilight Sniper

One. I was born as...

(Kevin) Ohlhausen. Such long. Much name.

My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Turner. I believe Scottish?

My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Richter. Obviously German.

Not like the guy at my school born with a long first and middle name and a short I think Czech last name.

2 for me, the one of my birth certificate is Mumford if I remember correctly but I was adopted at 6 months old (my biological parents were around 17 or 18 and decided they weren't ready to raise a child) and the last name I have had since then is the one I stuck with and will probably have the rest of my life. It is a rather unique name which people seem to have trouble pronouncing but is a fairly common last name in Italy which is where my Dad immigrated from with his parents.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on how far back in family history you go.

I currently have two last names 'Reid' and 'Kemp', as my middle name is actually the last name of by great-grandmother, and has been used as a 'middle' name for my grandfather and father, and all their siblings, so you might consider my family name being not just 'Kemp', but 'Reid Kemp' now.

Great-grandfather was adopted, and his original last name was Watson. However, in Scotland adoption is considered to be a strong bond, so that doesn't usually count.

For that matter, my family's name 'Kemp' was originally 'Kamphe'. Long, long ago my ancestors were MacGregors, which were as a clan declared outlaws by the English during the Jacobite rebellions. My particular ancestors changed their name to Kamphe to avoid persecution, as variants of that surname were relatively common in Scotland thanks to the various Dutch immigrants to the region. Over the previous couple of hundreds of years there were several attempts to 'outsettle' the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish by the English Kings, granting large land tracts to various citizens from the Holy Roman Empire. The English nobility being very strongly tied to Germanic nobility thanks to constant intermarriage, so they believed the Germanic peoples as being more suitable as subjects than the fractious Scots, Welsh, and Irish.

What? I like history.