Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you feel if a future season was as dark as....

SaburoDaimando

some of the classic Disney movies(Ex: Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Snow White)?

There are times where I want to see MLP take a darker turn(Though that kind of path would also be different from Lauren Faust's vision) in the future just to add a little twist to the series.  Maybe doing a bit of a throwback to G1's Rescue at Midnight Castle(Tirek anyone?).  But not too dark to the point where cupcakes go flying around.

What do you all think?  Should MLP have a slightly big of a darker tone in the future?

• Brohoof 1

Possibly, but then it wouldn't really be as appropriate for the target audience. Thus butt hurt parents will start arriving again, like when derpy spoke (obviously that's not dark though).

Why does everything have to have a dark edge? Can't we just enjoy MLP for the light thing that it is? It doesn't need darkness to make it better... I'm not gonna say that kids can't handle it because of course Disney movies are watched by kids... And I'm not criticizing disney movies, especially not the first original classics (little mermaid, beauty and the beast... Are RENAISSANCE CLASSICS! I mean Snow White, dumbo, Pinocchio, Cinderella etc.) because I love them! I just don't get how dark = better...

There's my bit

• Brohoof 3

ome of the classic Disney movies(Ex: Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Snow White)?

given by comparison the disney versions, even these older movies, were VERY clean vs their original counterparts... It wouldn't be to bad IMO. But it would ruin the vision that the show had set for it.

I think a lot of us forget that the writers are still trying to appeal to the target audience rather than us, and I'm fine with that. I think it's cool that they give us shoutouts from time to time.

• Brohoof 3

A darker twist to an occasional episode would be good (especially with a G1 villain), but the show wouldn't have the same happy feeling and it's nice to have something on t.v that's not all dark and edgy once in a while.

I think a lot of us forget that the writers are still trying to appeal to the target audience rather than us

This.

I feel that adding a darker characteristic would have more or a negative effect on the vision the show has, for so long, instilled upon the viewers rather than add benefit. Not just for sake of us bronies but the target audience also. I'm aware that Disney has displayed these aspects in a subtle manner. But this show is the masterpiece of Lauren Faust's vision which comprised of a harmonious atmosphere in which magical colorful ponies can live freely and a setting in which any entailment of darkness and evil is extremely rare if not nonexistent. 

• Brohoof 3

I can understand that alot of you feel that darkness would make the series less desirable.  But I don't want too much darkness as it would make it too much like every other dark show.  Just the right amount(A sprinkle at least).  The dark moments should, in my view, only help complement the light ones, not overpower it.

As a matter of fact, there was a dark moment early in season involving the flashback with Luna becoming Nightmare Moon(And they actually took it up a notch by making it look like Celestia died.  Had she actually died, the events of the whole show would have been negated).  That would have been a good example.

• Brohoof 1

If you mean as dark as the 2 parter with Chrysalis, Discord, and Sombra then yes that would be fine. Both were a bit more mature and darker themed but still for the target audience. DARKER then that is not needed however.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 3

As a matter of fact, there was a dark moment early in season involving the flashback with Luna becoming Nightmare Moon(And they actually took it up a notch by making it look like Celestia died. Had she actually died, the events of the whole show would have been negated). That would have been a good example.

I think the "painful" past is a better way to put it. I think "dark" topics are better left to the fandom, but painful memoirs like Luna's fall or the death of AJ's parents or even Fluttershy's past could be interesting. But over all the show is hopeful. The fandom is often too dark for my tastes. There has to be some hope.

If you mean as dark as the 2 parter with Chrysalis and with Discord then yes that would be fine. Both were a bit more mature and darker themed but still for the target audience. DARKER then that is not needed however.

Somewhere around that.  But then again, I've seen Large Ham Villains from Disney that had their moments.

Guys, stop taking the words out of my mouth XD

Would turning MLP into Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask be dark enough? For those of you who don't know, I think most Zelda fans would agree that Majora's Mask is the darkest, creepiest and freakiest of the Zelda franchise.

How morbid would it be for Twilight or any of the other ponies to wear a mask that is, maybe, Gilda's face in order to transform into a gryphon? Oh and as for what such a thing might look like;

large.jpeg

So yeah...

To avoid parroting everyone else, let me say this;

Did most of us have come to like the show for its darker elements? I think not.

Oh and do make a distinction between "dark" and mature. 

Edited by SunBurn

You mean that an ancient tyrant's soul oppressing his citizens in chains, robbing them of both their heritage and memories before isolating them for a thousand years, chasing and tormenting our main characters with their darkest and worst fears while threatening of taking over the kingdom again and gaining access to a very powerful gemstone ISN'T dark?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's not just the element of darkness, but what kind of darkness is used.  The kind of Darkness I'm looking for would be similar to a Disney Villain, such as Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty.

Maleficent_zpse737426c.jpg

Of course, many villains in My Little Pony possess a similar dark trait that one would see in a Disney villain(Nightmare Moon, Discord, Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra(Like what Minty pointed out)

).  All I wanna say is, maintain the same darkness that carries from these Disney cartoons.

Edited by SaburoDaimando

MintyStarshine, on 02 Feb 2014 - 1:51 PM, said:

You mean that an ancient tyrant's soul oppressing his citizens in chains, robbing them of both their heritage and memories before isolating them for a thousand years, chasing and tormenting our main characters with their darkest and worst fears while threatening of taking over the kingdom again and gaining access to a very powerful gemstone ISN'T dark?

I know, right? The whole Sombra arc was pretty dark.

Anyways, I'm not sure just how dark people want the show to become. Cupcakes dark? Well that's not going to happen any time soon. We may see another dark villain like Sombra in the future though.

Why does everything have to have a dark edge? Can't we just enjoy MLP for the light thing that it is? It doesn't need darkness to make it better... I'm not gonna say that kids can't handle it because of course Disney movies are watched by kids... And I'm not criticizing disney movies, especially not the first original classics (little mermaid, beauty and the beast... Are RENAISSANCE CLASSICS! I mean Snow White, dumbo, Pinocchio, Cinderella etc.) because I love them! I just don't get how dark = better...

There's my bit

can't brohoof this enough!

Twilight Sparkle lose her magic. She would have a hard time adjusting and could go into depression.

Applejack fails in a crisis to save her farm.

The Wonderbolts are no longer interested in recuriting Rainbow Dash and have someone else that surpasses her.

Edited by Singe

King Sombra in the Crystal Empire 2 parter was already dark enough, and we've seen other examples of dark imagery in the show it's not necessary for the entire show to a darker tone in the future if we've already seen it before.

Am I the only one tired of Bronies trying to change the show? It's been generally great through 77 episodes now, I don't see any need to change anything.

Really, if you want a darker show watch something else.

• Brohoof 3

King Sombra in the Crystal Empire 2 parter was already dark enough, and we've seen other examples of dark imagery in the show it's not necessary for the entire show to a darker tone in the future if we've already seen it before.

When King Sombra was shown, my little brother (5 at the time) got so scared he started crying and hide his face in my arm. As much as I would love something darker and edgier, do remember the target audience is for the little ones, not us.

When King Sombra was shown, my little brother (5 at the time) got so scared he started crying and hide his face in my arm. As much as I would love something darker and edgier, do remember the target audience is for the little ones, not us.

I know that completely. That's why I don't want the show to take a darker tone in the future, not needed.