Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Double Rainboom Taken Down

Shift

If you guys have a keen eye, or wanted to see Double Rainboom, well, I hate to break it to you, but it just got taken down on youtube and his website.

Now, I know you are saying 'SHIFT. WHY. WHAT IS HAPPENING. WHY. SHIFT EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.' Well buckle up children, because i'm going to show you an image that will explain EVERYTHING!

541828__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

In short... not to jump to any conclusions, but Zachary Rich is looking kind of jerk-y right now.

I want to punch him.

Seriously, what about all of those people who worked long and hard on this? Do they get no credit? Is it like Rich thinks Double Rainboom was a complete flop and wants everyone to forget about it and start on a clean state? What an asshole.

Ugh. I am disgusted. At least we have a million other reuploads. Discuss. I need to cry in a corner. and talk about how true tail is going to flop

• Brohoof 14

It would have been better to just leave it there for future references.

Taking it down is okay, but he didn't mention all the folks who helped out.

In the end, it was his decision, but for the time being, now, seems like a jerk move to not at least notify first before doing so.

• Brohoof 5

I would be lying if I said that Double Rainboom was a success, but ironically I watched it and I didn't think that he would take it down from Youtube and take it down from his site. He wants to move on, don't know how to respond to that.

But he should not have taken it down, and at least give the people who helped you credit while you're at it notify them beforehand.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 2

If you wanted to move onto a new professional career, I don't think there's no need to take Double Rainboom down Richie.

Not sure how much would react to this, knowing it wasn't much of an impression to most of them...

• Brohoof 3

I never really liked Double Rainboom to begin with, but this is probably one of the biggest dick moves he's done since promising us it would be "100% show quality" (which it isn't even close to being.) He worked with those people for over a year and now he's trying to basically destroy their work.

Final product wasn't great, but still. People who made it put their hearts into it. And now he's taking away their work.

• Brohoof 6

I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that this happened like a week after Double Rainboom only ended up getting 5th place in the top 25 videos of the year.  I think he's probably upset that it didn't turn out to be as successful as he thought it would be.

But the bottom line is that it's a complete jerk movie.  Yes it had flaws, but it still was a huge testament to what this community can achieve.  Whether or not the plot and everything was perfect, it took a ton of effort from a ton of people and was a fantastic accomplishment.  A 30 minute animation with near-show quality animation, an original story, original music, and everything else that went into this is a massive accomplishment that few if any other fandoms have ever accomplished.  

I think it's petty for him to take down that monument to what this fandom can achieve in only the few years it's been up just because it didn't turn out as perfect as it could have.  And sure, he might have had other reasons, but I highly doubt he would take it down if it had been extremely well received by everybody.

Anyway, it wasn't my favorite animation, but I really loved it not because it was perfect, but because it was by far one of the biggest accomplishments of the fandom, and I really am shocked that it was removed.

• Brohoof 8

It's like he's trying to get attention for people to see his new proffessional work. I mean serioulsy, I'm guessing he's pretty slim-minded to think a majority of his viewers will want to watch his work after making the most jerk-iest move by taking down "Double Rainboom". People these days...

• Brohoof 2

It was never one of my favorite animations made by the community, but it wasn't bad at all.  The animation was superb!

I don't really get why he took it down, seems like kind a really bad move I think.  Hopefully he sees the error of his ways and puts it back up so others can see it.

it wasn't necessary to take it down, but I think OP is overeacting. Well, I'm very sure that this was that step that helped him to build that animation studio, I hope that he succeed and wish him the best.

However, I won't miss DRB at all. It was a horrible episode and felt like I wasted 25 minutes of my life in it.

it wasn't necessary to take it down, but I think OP is overeacting. Well, I'm very sure that this was that step that helped him to build that animation studio, I hope that he succeed and wish him the best.

Thing was, it wasn't really his to take down.  Sure he was in charge, but over a hundred people gave up a year they could have been doing real jobs to make real money or working on their own animation projects to contribute to a giant testament to what the fandom could achieve by working together.

As I said on dA, it's like a charity getting hundreds of volunteers to build houses for the homeless, and then burning them down cause they didn't like how they looked.

If the people were paid, I would fully support him and say he has every right to do what he wants with the property he owns, but he has no more rights to it than any of the tons of people that put their time and effort for months to help create it.  Unless every one of those people gave him permission, I will remain extremely upset with him for taking down one of the largest community accomplishments there was in this fandom. 

• Brohoof 4

If the people were paid, I would fully support him and say he has every right to do what he wants with the property he owns, but he has no more rights to it than any of the tons of people that put their time and effort for months to help create it. Unless every one of those people gave him permission, I will remain extremely upset with him for taking down one of the largest community accomplishments there was in this fandom.

At this point it seems rather selfish to take it down, and it makes it look like that he made it just for popularity in the fandom. I guess he's trying to clean up his past works to make his reportoire look better, but it's a slap in the face to the other animators who were part of the project.

• Brohoof 1

At this point it seems rather selfish to take it down, and it makes it look like that he made it just for popularity in the fandom. I guess he's trying to clean up his past works to make his reportoire look better, but it's a slap in the face to the other animators who were part of the project.

A huge slap in the face... and I really don't know why he would get rid of it to clean up his history.  First of all, it's not going to go away... he left up all the videos about the preparation and his demo reel filled with clips of it, and there's hundreds of reviews and videos about it out there.  Any future employer will know about it, but they'll wonder why he was trying to hide it.

Plus it wasn't bad by any means... from the perspective of a fan, it wasn't the show.  That's where most of the criticism was coming from... the voice acting didn't match the show, the animation was slightly below show quality, and the episode didn't feel at all like an episode.  But, from an original animation perspective it was absolutely amazing.  He got a bunch of volunteers and made a professional quality animation lasting 30 minutes... that would have taken a huge budget by any other group, and he did it with no budget.  That's astounding and could easily get him a job.  The thing he has to remember is that future employers won't be bronies in all likelihood.  They won't be judging it from our perspective, so it's kind of ridiculous to take it down to clean up his history.

And again, hiding your past for job applications doesn't work when hundreds of thousands of people have seen it. 

• Brohoof 2

Unless every one of those people gave him permission, I will remain extremely upset with him for taking down one of the largest community accomplishments there was in this fandom. 

Sorry but the hype for this episode was much bigger than the actual product, by far.

And still we don't know if he had an actual meeting with his staff, so I rather know the truth before I call someone else a dick, because I may look like a fool if it wasn't true.

The thing is that we don't know for sure, if they approved of him to take it down or not, and let's face it, that video was the reminder of a failure displayed to a very wide fandom that destroyed it in the comments, if I were him I would be very embarassed to have that video hanging while I am moving onto my next proffessional endeavors. 

Sorry but the hype for this episode was much bigger than the actual product, by far. And still we don't know if he had an actual meeting with his staff, so I rather know the truth before I call someone else a dick, because I may look like a fool if it wasn't true. The thing is that we don't know for sure, if they approved of him to take it down or not, and let's face it, that video was the reminder of a failure displayed to a very wide fandom that destroyed it in the comments, if I were him I would be very embarassed to have that video hanging while I am moving onto my next proffessional endeavors. 

Harsh much?  Sure it got too much hype, but what studio looking to hire someone would know about hype?  This isn't about whether most bronies liked it or not... from his post it seems like he wanted to take it down because he didn't want it to be a part of his professional history, which is just an idiotic view of how life works.  Like I said, from the perspective of him looking for an animation job in the future, that would be a giant boost to his resume because it's something that few people have ever accomplished.  He should be proud of it, even if the fandom didn't receive it well.

And certainly the people who worked on it don't deserve to be told that the year of work they did was so horrible that the director wants to hide it so nobody knows about all the effort they put in.

And the idea that all his staff approved is laughable.  Over 100 people can't unanimously agree on whether to go for pizza or hamburgers, they didn't unanimously agree to take down the finished product of a year of hard work.

Bottom line is he took down a testament to what this community could achieve, hurt over a hundred other fans of the show who gave up massive amounts of time for this project, and insulted the community who, while perhaps disappointed in the quality compared to the series have to admit that this was one of the most astounding collaborations in fandom history.

• Brohoof 4

Well firstly, to be honest I was a bit disappointed at the episode. He promised us (he said that many times) 100% show accurate animation and it was far from show accurate. Besides, the story wasn't even that good. It felt like it was just made as a show-off clip to make bronies happy. It just doesn't work when you create an episode entirely made of memes and references.

About the takedown I think I will think differently here and say that I believe that he didn't do this because he wanted to but because of Hasbro. Hasbro has been the reason for most of our popular fandom created stuff and because of it, people have been raging at them. So, I have this little theory that hasbro contacted him and did not want him to reveal that they did it.

Then again.. That's maybe quite a stupid idea XD

It's more possible that it actually is as he says, and I gotta say that his move here was quite selfish. Even though I am not a very big fan of the film, you can't tell me otherwise when I say that it is one of the best animations our fandom has created (where all other are made by Jan lol or SFS)

• Brohoof 1

He had legal permission from Hasbro to produce and display the animation.  If Hasbro wanted him to take it down because of the negative reception, I think they would have done it months ago.  This came way too soon after the video of the year awards were announced to make me believe anything but the fact that he was feeling butthurt about people not liking it as much as he thought they would, and wanting to take it down and pretend he didn't do it for selfish reasons.

And even if Hasbro asked him to take it down, as the director of one of the biggest collaborative fan efforts in history, I think he owed them a responsibility to fight it based on the fact that they actually had a legal ground to stand on due to the permission that he got from Hasbro and Cartoon Network to use those characters.

• Brohoof 1

Harsh much?  Sure it got too much hype, but what studio looking to hire someone would know about hype?  This isn't about whether most bronies liked it or not... from his post it seems like he wanted to take it down because he didn't want it to be a part of his professional history, which is just an idiotic view of how life works.  Like I said, from the perspective of him looking for an animation job in the future, that would be a giant boost to his resume because it's something that few people have ever accomplished.  He should be proud of it, even if the fandom didn't receive it well.

And certainly the people who worked on it don't deserve to be told that the year of work they did was so horrible that the director wants to hide it so nobody knows about all the effort they put in.

And the idea that all his staff approved is laughable.  Over 100 people can't unanimously agree on whether to go for pizza or hamburgers, they didn't unanimously agree to take down the finished product of a year of hard work.

Bottom line is he took down a testament to what this community could achieve, hurt over a hundred other fans of the show who gave up massive amounts of time for this project, and insulted the community who, while perhaps disappointed in the quality compared to the series have to admit that this was one of the most astounding collaborations in fandom history.

he has no reason to actually BE proud of it. You may consider it awesome and something to be proud of but perhaps he is more of a perfectionist and strives for better. Saying that 'he should be' is a big assuption and he's not obliged to feel that way.

Note that I'm not picking sides, I'm being very objective and thinking about the 2 sides of the coin, on the other hand, I can see that your emotions are speaking for you, which is something wrong to do in this case.

I stand my position about his staff, which is neutral, I have nothing good or bad to say about him, but don't worry, if someone that worked on this project felt betrayed byhim you can expect their voice to be heard.

original music
 Um, yeah, you can hear the "DUH NA NA NAAAA!" sound from The Legend of Zelda, then the Back to the Future theme in Double Rainboom, among other unoriginal music. The episode was also chock-full of fandom shoutouts, kinda made it hard for me to take it seriously.

About the takedown I think I will think differently here and say that I believe that he didn't do this because he wanted to but because of Hasbro. Hasbro has been the reason for most of our popular fandom created stuff and because of it, people have been raging at them. So, I have this little theory that hasbro contacted him and did not want him to reveal that they did it.

I doubt it for a number of reasons. His personality is a bit selfish from what I've experienced.

As a member of Super Smash Ponies, we asked the DR team if they had any tips on animation. Instead, Zach our head animator to "bugger off" since this wasn't about his animation project. I contacted him again and he put me off rudely and told me that no animators on DR will help with our game (This is after DR is finished)

These are my personal thoughts and experience with Zach, and I'm honestly not surprised he'd take down his animation that didn't live up to his claims. But it's still a quality animation that very few fan animations can achieve.

he has no reason to actually BE proud of it. You may consider it awesome and something to be proud of but perhaps he is more of a perfectionist and strives for better. Saying that 'he should be' is a big assuption and he's not obliged to feel that way.

Note that I'm not picking sides, I'm being very objective and thinking about the 2 sides of the coin, on the other hand, I can see that your emotions are speaking for you, which is something wrong to do in this case.

I stand my position about his staff, which is neutral, I have nothing good or bad to say about him, but don't worry, if someone that worked on this project felt betrayed byhim you can expect their voice to be heard.

Um, yeah, you can hear the "DUH NA NA NAAAA!" sound from The Legend of Zelda, then the Back to the Future theme in Double Rainboom, among other unoriginal music. The episode was also chock-full of fandom shoutouts, kinda made it hard for me to take it seriously.

Let me be more clear... I didn't like Double Rainboom.  I've watched it once, and thought it was a shoddy parody of the show and went in a horrible direction.  I think that it was idiotic for him to advertise it as a fanmade episode, because it wasn't that at all.

My feelings about the episode aside, this has nothing to do with that.  This isn't about whether I will watch it again or whether anybody will.  It's about the fact that it was a huge testament to what this fandom can accomplish and how dedicated this fandom is to producing quality fan-content.

There were tons of mistakes in this and areas to improve, but even so everybody making this had something to be proud of because whether or not it felt like the show, it took a massive amount of effort to physically make this.  It was something that those hundred or so volunteers could take and use for future jobs, and now they had that ripped away because a single person wanted to remove it.

Keep in mind that Zach liked this enough to put out there for the community and tie up people's lives for a year to make.  A director doesn't get to just jump ship on his staff and stab them in the back because of bad reviews.

I think that as the director and person responsible to all the volunteers time that was wasted for a production that was removed after less than a year, Zach should be ashamed of himself.  He should never be allowed to lead a project again in his life because he's proven that he has no dedication to his own art or the artistic work of others, he simply wants to worry about his own self image and is willing to dump thousands of hours of a community's time down the toilet to give a slight makeup job to his resume.

• Brohoof 3

I think it's kind of silly to take it down, I watched it, thought it sucked dick, but it was still entertaining.  Unless he's THAT embarrassed by it, which is ridiculous, I don't see any reason to remove it from youtube, it really does no harm in leaving it there for other people to watch who may be curious about it, or potential fans of his that will go on to check out his new work.  This is a weird, and kind of bad move, but whatever, let the guy do what he wants. 

Edited by Deesinn

let the guy do what he wants. 
Again, if it was a video he worked on alone that would make total sense.  But this isn't just his business... 100+ people worked on it and none of them were paid.  I don't think it's right for him to take the work product of all those people down.
  • Brohoof 2

Again, if it was a video he worked on alone that would make total sense.  But this isn't just his business... 100+ people worked on it and none of them were paid.  I don't think it's right for him to take the work product of all those people down.

And if they have a problem with that, I'm sure they'll talk with him about it.