Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Double Rainboom Taken Down

Shift

Sadly he... had right to do it. This video was his property, not fandom's property after all. If he did it behind back of every person who worked on it - then yes, he is a dick. Big dick. Very big dick. But if everyone agreed with him and allowed to do it then he can hardly be blamed, sorry for saying this, but it's just my opinion. I understand why are You all upset.

• Brohoof 2

As many of you found out today, Zachary Rich took down his Double Rainboom video and is disassociating themselves from the brony community. On their website for Double Rainboom he stated his reasoning was because he is starting his own original series in his own animation studio that he went to school to create. He doesn't want to associate with Double Rainboom anymore because it's bad for business to associate with fanmade content and the backlash was... Well... Terrible. Bronies are attacking him on his deviantArt and calling him a "traitor".

What are your thoughts on Zachary Rich and this incident?

Well I understand why he had to and I don't really care too much about it since it will be back up some way or the other. But I understand why he wants to do this so there is nothing I feel like saying about this. Other then I don't really understand what good it does to call him a traitor. His team made the first full fan made episode, what more can we ask of him?  So yeah, my thoughts are that I understand.

the first full fan made episode

I'm sorry, but this was a really bad claim on Zachary Rich's part, in my opinion. There were a few fan episodes already, although not very good. When it comes to the Internet, there's never a first anything. It's absolutely impossible to find we who did what first in the vastness of the Internet.

In reply to this topic, I honestly can't believe he took it down. I mean, I know it was bad, but really. All the work his crew members put into it? I can guarantee a lot of them were not happy with their hard work being gone. Of course, it will be re-uploaded by someone else, but that doesn't mean he should just act like it never existed.

Honestly, it's available in so many places at this point, that what difference will it make?

I'm sorry, but this was a really bad claim on Zachary Rich's part, in my opinion. There were a few fan episodes already, although not very good. When it comes to the Internet, there's never a first anything. It's absolutely impossible to find we who did what first in the vastness of the Internet.

Might be but it probably was the first fan made episode that was full length the same length as an official episode. Though there may have been other videos they probably weren't full length or at least not fully animated or not similar quality.

Good: He wants to move on to another project.

Bad: He didn't inform the team he worked with beforehand that he took down the website and the Double Rainboom video as well. He forgot to give his team credit, if I recall.

Bad: He didn't inform the team he worked with beforehand that he took down the website and the Double Rainboom video as well. He forgot to give his team credit, if I recall.

I don't think that was ever said or confirmed.

Okay, maybe not. He could have at least told the people he was working with, that he took it down.

I am not sure if he didn't though. I don't think it's been confirmed if he did or did not.

I am not sure if he didn't though. I don't think it's been confirmed if he did or did not.

I guess we'll have to wait until he does. Anyway, Double Rainboom's animation was okay but I'd have to say that it wasn't the best fan-made thing.

I wish bronies would acquire some more information and evidence to support these claims like "he didn't notify his team" and "it was a dick move" before resorting to this kind of behavior. No one knows anything for certain yet and there hasn't been any concrete evidence yet. I wish people would wait before they overreacted.

The only "dick" thing going on here is people jumping to conclusions.

Double Rainboom's animation was okay

I'm going to butt in here because there are many, many animators out there (including me) that don't really like the animation at all. Most others can't really tell the difference between DRB's animation and the show's. There are entire scenes of Double Rainboom that are nothing but tweens. Tweens are tools that basically take two positions of a character, object, etc, and calculates the in-between motions. 

You might be thinking, "Why is that bad?". Well, tweening takes the life out of the animation. Movements in real life aren't perfectly smooth. In other words, the talking pastel colored ponies aren't realistic enough when you tween.

I'm just using this thread to criticize Double Rainboom. Oh well, you learned something, didn't you? :P

I'm going to butt in here because there are many, many animators out there (including me) that don't really like the animation at all. Most others can't really tell the difference between DRB's animation and the show's. There are entire scenes of Double Rainboom that are nothing but tweens. Tweens are tools that basically take two positions of a character, object, etc, and calculates the in-between motions. 

You might be thinking, "Why is that bad?". Well, tweening takes the life out of the animation. Movements in real life aren't perfectly smooth. In other words, the talking pastel colored ponies aren't realistic enough when you tween.

I'm just using this thread to criticize Double Rainboom. Oh well, you learned something, didn't you? :P

I don't like the animation either, it was only a little decent. The story wasn't a saving grace for Double Rainboom, not even the animation could save it.

I for one am disappointed to see it go.  It was one of those things I was going to get around to watching a second time.  But the whole "I'm moving on to the next project now" attitude is quite common in the animation business.  Craig McCracken is best known for creating the Powerpuff Girls.  But today he acts like the PPGs don't even exist. 

Wow. I feel like he's trolling us. His note didn't even explain why he had decided to take the video down; no mention of problems with Hasbro; no erm..well that's just about it, there was no reason to take it down! He could have just left it there for people to see. If you're going to put a lot of work into a piece of art like a beautiful painting for example, are you going to have it removed once you have let enough people see it? NEIN! The Mona Lisa still remains at Le Louvre for all to see, even though Da Vinci had already passed away.

@,

you see, he isn't going public with it but I'll post up the TRUE reason why it was taken down because they keep lying and making things up. Now I posted this on 4chan a day or two ago and it has kind of blown up and yeah I know 4chan oooo can't be credible but I'm the one who posted it and people in there have posted screencaps comparing the rigs and some other stuff which basically confirms this whole thing.

So... recently Zachary Rich, you know that weird guy who wears a fedora and Hawaiian shirt combo, has taken down Double Rainboom because he wants to "move on." I am posting on here to say that is fucking bullshit.

The reason why he's taking Double Rainboom down is because Hasbro is sending cease and desist orders to ANY pony project that is using the leaked DHX rigs. You're probably thinking: "but Double Rainboom had 100% original assets!" It did for the mares, but for the stallions it used some DHX parts in it.

The next thing you're probably wondering is: "How the hell did HE get access to those parts!?" Well, before the atrocity of his work was released many people from the show were really looking forward to it and some decided to show him some assets from the show just because "hey this guy's making a fan episode! that's awesome!" Kind of like a lot of things that were used without permission in DRB, the stallion puppet contains many, many, MANY DHX parts that were just recolored by pushing CTRL and F in flash.

So basically, he is trying his best to not get into the legal troubles that he is inevitably going to get into regardless. Now normally I wouldn't post this because hey we all make mistakes, but when you get rid of something that you didn't make entirely yourself and when you do it without telling the other people who worked their asses off trying to get this crappy school project of his done... I have some issues. I also have issues when he flat out lies like this.

He needs to be called out for this. Both for stealing assets (the Spike rig that he claimed was his was actually made by someone else for an entirely different project and was used WITHOUT PERMISSION) and also for getting rid of the hard work of the animators without an honest reason.

I was never on the team but I know a few people involved with DRB and they are all heart broken and angry with his decision. Please call Zach out on this. He needs to grow up.

While I will agree that it is a small piece it shouldn't be that big of a deal, it is still punishable by law and the fact that he released the puppets claiming that they were his and every part was custom makes me reaallly question what else about this project he is hiding. But once again that's not my main issue: my main issue is that he's lying to his whole team. I can understand lying to the public because this is showbiz we are talking about you know that's just part of the game like it or not but when you lie to your team over something like this which is easy to expalin I'm just all like "what the hell?"

Now they claim that they didn't use any parts but the overall assembly of the head when compared to the DHX parts is too similar for there to be a simple cooincidence and not only that but I've seen the main puppet riggers stuff outside of this project when he wasn't stressed for time and it looks far, far, FAR from show quality so while it technically is possible that they made a 100% show accurate stallion head in a very short period of time I highly doubt it and I think anyone with a sane mind will doubt it as well.

Edited by Lord Bababa
  • Brohoof 2

I don't see why people are looking so far into it, as it is HIS business. Everyone has the episode, and it's available all over, so what's the big deal?

542366__safe_text_double+rainboom_double

This was an email he sent out to his team. This made me suspicious of Flamingo, but I didn't want to make any further judgment until I had more information about the email. Apparently from some members of the team, the contents of this email are highly confidential, and that explaining its contents in detail could cause the team a lot of trouble.

This doesn't sound like a polite email to me. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I think we as a fandom should practice what the show preaches...and frankly this clear act of dishonesty shouldn't be accepted.

Edited by NewsAnon
  • Brohoof 1

@, oh it's because it wasn't him that worked on it exclusively and part two of it is what I just posted he's lying about his reason

But were you one of the other people working on it? Why does it matter to you? Why should it be of any concern to you?

Also where is your evidence to support any of that is true?

Edited by Guest