Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Double Rainboom Taken Down

Shift

But were you one of the other people working on it? Why does it matter to you? Why should it be of any concern to you?

I think as someone wanting to go into the professional field, he should be more willing to own up to his mistakes and be honest. He may NOT have used DHX assets, and I don't think we should immediately accuse him of doing so. Maybe it wasn't copied from DHX and his team is that talented and/or lucky, but in any respect that's an extraordinary claim and that would require extraordinary evidence.

I just don't feel he should avoid it because he should learn ot be honest with people, I'll hold a great amount of respect for him regardless of how he tackles the answer, as long as I feel he responded honestly.

This is was a blow to the fandom as a whole, here was a guy who seems to have no problems being disrespectful to the community that helped make him what he is today.

Edited by NewsAnon

But were you one of the other people working on it? Why does it matter to you? Why should it be of any concern to you?

I'm not one of the people who worked on it no but the entire thing was removed without even notification of the people who helped work on it and quite a few of them did not want it taken down. Imagine you worked really fucking hard something only to have it removed and never to be seen again. My second issue is that I want him to be honest with his team because once again I know a few people involved with it and the fact that he's lying hard about this and is feeding them bullshit left and right really gets me.

I can't confirm this because it's hard to but from what someone told me the email above was only sent out after I decided it was time to point out the fact that DRB was removed due to DHX assets. When someone in the general public knows more about a project than the people who are actually working on it does there are some damned issues here and that's the main reason I'm going out on him like this. I can't confirm if he truly is an asshole like some people in here have said, but I can confirm that he currently is lying to everyone and he just wants to cover his own ass on something that is easy to explain and easy to miss and that is what pisses me off. He's making an entire corporation look bad because of one little fault he had that is, once again, easy to miss.

Also this is another thing I can't confirm right now because several sources that have sent me things don't always seem the most credible but someone who has worked with Zach in the past has told me that he's doing this not because Hasbro has sent him an email but because he's scared that they will.

I can't confirm this

from what someone told me

I can't confirm if he truly is an asshole like some people in here have said,

Also this is another thing I can't confirm right now because several sources that have sent me things don't always seem the most credible

Do you see my problem with this all, now?

Also if the "email" is real (which there is no evidence to support) wouldn't that mean he did notify his team? I'm seeing two stories of why he's an asshole, but they are conflicting stories. Also they seem to have many roots in 4chan... I am starting to suspect no one has any real evidence and I'll make an assumption when some actual concrete evidence comes forward.

Edited by Guest

Do you see my problem with this all, now?

We don't know that's the reason, it's just a suspicion backed by some evidence. We don't have any actual confirmation that he used DHX parts in Double Rainboom, but is there evidence to support that possibility? Yes, but we shouldn't be immediately accusing him of it until we can get a reasonable answer from him or his team.

We don't know that's the reason, it's just a suspicion backed by some evidence. We don't have any actual confirmation that he used DHX parts in Double Rainboom, but is there evidence to support that possibility? Yes, but we shouldn't be immediately accusing him of it until we can get a reasonable answer from him or his team.

And thus I will continue not to give a damn until actual evidence comes forward. All of these claims thus far are just speculation to stir up controversy and drama before anything has been confirmed and I will not partake in that.

I think as someone wanting to go into the professional field, he should be more willing to own up to his mistakes and be honest. He may NOT have used DHX assets, and I don't think we should immediately accuse him of doing so. Maybe it wasn't copied from DHX and his team is that talented and/or lucky, but in any respect that's an extraordinary claim and that would require extraordinary evidence.

I just don't feel he should avoid it because he should learn ot be honest with people, I'll hold a great amount of respect for him regardless of how he tackles the answer, as long as I feel he responded honestly.

This is was a blow to the fandom as a whole, here was a guy who seems to have no problems being disrespectful to the community that helped make him what he is today.

I agree that sounds really fishy, as far I know a major studio wouldn't risk the kind of bad press they'd get for stabbing someone they gave their blessing to in the back like that. We also have the fact that the dozens of other people doing high-quality fan animations(like Jan) are doing just fine despite doing high-profile stuff like pre-screenings at conventions. 

On topic, it was decent and I'm glad I downloaded a personal copy way back, but I have to agree that despite looking pretty the writing was really sub-par(which I heard came from him having kind of an ago problem and wanting to script it all himself with no help despite having no training or experience writing for big projects) and despite being 30min long it somehow felt like it had LESS content than a normal 21min episode of the show.

I've said this before, but Snowdrop(and pretty much anything Jan as done) were better.

I WILL be looking out for High-Tail though because after reading Dan and Mabbs Furry Adventures, pretty much anything fantasy staring furries catches my eye.

But yeah, this whole thing seems really muddy and dubious as of now. I also agree that just throwing something that dates back to the fandom beginnings and marks one of out first big mile-stones in the garbage and all but dis-owning it was kind of crass. It would be like Kkat wiping FOE of the internet and telling people to quite living in the past.  

And thus I will continue not to give a damn until actual evidence comes forward. All of these claims thus far are just speculation to stir up controversy and drama before anything has been confirmed and I will not partake in that.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed, this is NOT pure speculation. We have evidence pointing towards this, at this point it is very likely that DHX assets were used due to the sheer improbability that they weren't.

The fact is, we can't even trust answers from the man himself, he just lied recently and lied again in the past.

Edited by NewsAnon
  • Brohoof 1

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed, this is NOT pure speculation. We have evidence pointing towards this, at this point it is very likely that DHX assets were used due to the sheer improbability that they weren't.

We have very shady "evidence" from very shady sources is what we have. Which is almost just as bad as no evidence. I'll wait until there is more evidence that seems more legit from credible sources before I assist in stirring up the drama like everyone seems to want to do. I know a lot of people are going to feel like assholes if they find out this "evidence" was faked.

We have very shady "evidence" from very shady sources is what we have. Which is almost just as bad as no evidence. I'll wait until there is more evidence that seems more legit from credible sources before I assist in stirring up the drama like everyone seems to want to do. I know a lot of people are going to feel like assholes if they find out this "evidence" was faked.

It might be difficult to explain....but imagine tracing someone's drawing, now I tell you I have a way to see every single stroke you did and I have a way to see every stroke the original artist with only a few pixels available as a margin of error.

What are the chances that by tracing over the art you'll come to the same conclusion exactly the same way the artist did?

• Brohoof 1

It might be difficult to explain....but imagine tracing someone's drawing, now I tell you I have a way to see every single stroke you did and I have a way to see every stroke the original artist with only a few pixels available as a margin of error.

What are the chances that by tracing over the art you'll come to the same conclusion exactly the same way the artist did?

That's a pretty wishy-washy excuse of proof, don't you think?

@, I can show you some concrete evidence that he did use DHX assets and allow me to come out and say that I'm the one who posted it, so when you say that it had roots in 4chan I just wanna come out and say no it had roots with me.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't like the animation to begin with, it was just fandom shoutout after fandom shoutout. It felt like a bad crossover fic got animated. There wasn't much originality to it, it was just "Here's a thing that happened in one of these shows!" 

But as far as the takedown goes, it depends on a few things. Was it on his part entirely, or did everyone involved agree? Did he just decide to get rid of it because he didn't want to associate his professional animation studio with that? Either way I don't personally care too much.

That's a pretty wishy-washy excuse of proof, don't you think?

Not at all, that's why the first thing you do when checking for traced/copied art is to over-lay them and see how close they are. I've been a member of DeviantArt and Furaffinity(as well as several smaller sites along the line) for over five years so I should know how checking for tracing and copying goes down. 

I don't look at Double Rainboom for what it IS, but for what it's meant to be. The episode represents the great things bronies can do and what we are capable of making happen. This was a project with over a hundred talented people putting in time and effort into making something that may not have been perfect, but represented what the brony fanbase as a whole has become.

Which is why this is an absolute outrage for me. This video is being taken down; an entire year of hard work and blood and sweat and tears amounting to little more than being taken down just for the sake of making new things?

I know he's allowed to, and he has the rights and the privilege to do so.

But for the life of me, I cannot understand why.

• Brohoof 1

I don't look at Double Rainboom for what it IS, but for what it's meant to be. The episode represents the great things bronies can do and what we are capable of making happen. This was a project with over a hundred talented people putting in time and effort into making something that may not have been perfect, but represented what the brony fanbase as a whole has become.

Which is why this is an absolute outrage for me. This video is being taken down; an entire year of hard work and blood and sweat and tears amounting to little more than being taken down just for the sake of making new things?

I know he's allowed to, and he has the rights and the privilege to do so.

But for the life of me, I cannot understand why.

If you read the thread it was apparently Hasbro that asked him to take it down.

If you read the thread it was apparently Hasbro that asked him to take it down.

Then why doesn't it say that in the original picture? Looks to me like the guy who made it was pretty content at leaving it at that and calling it a day.

Besides, he got permission in the first place. Hasbro can't be THAT wishy-washy.

@, I can show you some concrete evidence that he did use DHX assets and allow me to come out and say that I'm the one who posted it, so when you say that it had roots in 4chan I just wanna come out and say no it had roots with me.

Not at all, that's why the first thing you do when checking for traced/copied art is to over-lay them and see how close they are. I've been a member of DeviantArt and Furaffinity(as well as several smaller sites along the line) for over five years so I should know how checking for tracing and copying goes down. 

Eh, that's more or less the argument of "stuff is too similar, therefore it must be traced".

And I would like to see this concrete evidence. I am not arguing against you to support Mr. Rich, I however would like solid proof before accusing someone of something so serious. I am an artist myself, and I know as a fact that many people try to emulate the show style and come pretty damn close to it without tracing. So the argument of "this is too similar" isn't a very good one because it's arguing the method and not the product, and you're going to be hard pressed proving that.

Then why doesn't it say that in the original picture? Looks to me like the guy who made it was pretty content at leaving it at that and calling it a day.

Besides, he got permission in the first place. Hasbro can't be THAT wishy-washy.

That's what everyone wants to know, this is why many fans are angry.

Eh, that's more or less the argument of "stuff is too similar, therefore it must be traced".

And I would like to see this concrete evidence. I am not arguing against you to support Mr. Rich, I however would like solid proof before accusing someone of something so serious. I am an artist myself, and I know as a fact that many people try to emulate the show style and come pretty damn close to it without tracing. So the argument of "this is too similar" isn't a very good one because it's arguing the method and not the product, and you're going to be hard pressed proving that.

There is a difference between matching the show's style and matching how it was built. The reason we're able to have such strong evidence for this is the fact that leaked there are DHX assets for the background ponies in Wonderbolts in the first place...and parts in the stallion puppets match up with parts in the leaked Wonderbolts Academy puppets.

@@SomariFeyWright, He didn't get permission to use hasbro's assets, though.

Even if he did he would have to cite it as a source in the credits, as it was an academic project.

Edited by NewsAnon

He didn't get permission to use hasbro's assets, though.

Then how did it stay on the internet for so long?

It's been over a year since it was put online. Hasbro isn't that out-of-touch with the fanbase that they don't know Double Rainboom existed.

My big issue here is that if Hasbro gave her permission to use the likenesses of the characters, but he wasn't allowed to trace DHX's models, how does that make sense? You're saying that Hasbro gave him permission to use the likenesses and they could look as similar to theirs as he wanted, but he couldn't trace them? You're saying that Hasbro is arguing the method and not the product. How would it be any different if his animators drew them all by themselves and they looked identical (or pretty damn close to where it would be hard to tell) to how they do now?

That's the part I am most skeptical on because it doesn't make a lot of sense that Hasbro and DHX would get so nitpicky over the method even if an original method produced the exact same results. It's kind of a wishy-washy argument, and that seems awfully suspicious.

@@Lord Bababa, Also, no offense, but you're not exactly a "credible" source. You're a random guy on the internet (no offense), how is the fact that you said it more credible than if say... A professional reporter said it? You're kind of saying "I said it, so you know it's true" when we have no real basis to tell anything you say is true. Once again, not trying to offend you, but I am saying that it sounds like you have a lot of venom towards Mr. Rich, so coming from you, unless the evidence is solid, sounds like you are pushing evidence forward that supports your argument even if it isn't that concrete.

None the less, I'd like to see this concrete evidence.

Edited by Guest