Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Had Surgery?

Venomous

I had appendicitis, quite a scary experience, I had two close-to-death encounters during that...

What did that feel like?

My dad's friends' daughter got appendicitis on ThanksGiving and she threw up blood on the way to the hospital 0_o

Was it like a stabbing pain?

I had very minor surgery to remove a skin tag. I was under general anesthesia for about 10 or 15 minutes. Thankfully a subsequent biopsy revealed it was not a cancerous growth.

That's good to hear. I'm glad :)

I have a lump on my leg and I am getting it checked out on Wednesday. It is getting bigger and it hurts 0_o

• Brohoof 1

That's good to hear. I'm glad :)

I have a lump on my leg and I am getting it checked out on Wednesday. It is getting bigger and it hurts 0_o

Oh my. I really hope it's something benign. Please keep us informed as much as you feel comfortable sharing.

• Brohoof 1

Blah, I've had my wisdom teeth removed, a permanent tooth cut out, a urology surgery and stitches when I cut myself when I was doing the dishes.

Ah the wisdom teeth.. Of course.

I don't even have mine yet. I hope I'm a part of the 25% that don't get them.

And ouch.. A cut from the dishes? A knife or a broke dish I'm guessing?

What is a Urology? (Please excuse my low-leveled knowledge on surgeries) hahaha

the biggest surgery I had was the removal of an hydrocele when I was 7 years old. Before that (5 years), they thought I was mentally disabled, but turned out I was deaf, so they made me a surgery on that

too

What is a Hydrocele??

I've never heard of that

Hello!

No, I've never had surgery, even though I did have quite a few serious injuries, I managed to avoid any surgeries :P.

Though, it remains one of my phobias. It would be a torture house for me if I knew that I'd have to have an operation soon. I wouldn't be so surprised if I would have a heart attack, but then again, I wouldn't feel anything after a heart attack :P.

I know what you mean.. I am afraid of doctors, surgery, etc.

I have panic disorder, so if I went in for surgery, I'd probably have a panic attack of the likes no one has ever seen lol

• Brohoof 1

I've never had surgery, I actually have a rather strong fear of going under the knife. It's mostly because of the idea itself and the pain that I associate with it. As for dealing with my wisdom teeth growing in, I'm just going to leave the little suckers alone; my dentist said I may have enough room for them to not be a source of irritation.

• Brohoof 1

when i was young i needed to have a back surgery due to back scoliosis at birth and i'm due for another one in the future.

Ah my aunt has Scoliosis..

And oh god, what exactly do the doctors do to your back to help fox the problem?

Ah the wisdom teeth.. Of course.

I don't even have mine yet. I hope I'm a part of the 25% that don't get them.

And ouch.. A cut from the dishes? A knife or a broke dish I'm guessing?

What is a Urology? (Please excuse my low-leveled knowledge on surgeries) hahaha

What is a Hydrocele??

I've never heard of that

I know what you mean.. I am afraid of doctors, surgery, etc.

I have panic disorder, so if I went in for surgery, I'd probably have a panic attack of the likes no one has ever seen lol

It's an accumulation of fluids close to the testicles, heard that if untreated, people experience such pain that they frequently pass out 

• Brohoof 1

Had two major surgeries on my abdomen, had a cyst rupture and was bleeding internally. Took me three days to go to the hospital because stubborn. Was sick for another year after that, and had to have a second surgery due to an abnormal growth. Ended up receiving a total of nine units of blood. Monster scar on my stomach, and it's still tender, and it took me a total of three years to recover, but overall, I'm fairly healthy now...Aside from being double jointed all over my body. 

Had two major surgeries on my abdomen, had a cyst rupture and was bleeding internally. Took me three days to go to the hospital because stubborn. Was sick for another year after that, and had to have a second surgery due to an abnormal growth. Ended up receiving a total of nine units of blood. Monster scar on my stomach, and it's still tender, and it took me a total of three years to recover, but overall, I'm fairly healthy now...Aside from being double jointed all over my body. 

holy crap just wow ouch well at least your healthy now

• Brohoof 1

Holy hell that's insane.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yes that counts as surgery, I would say.

A friend of mine had screws put in his wrist and he was miserable when he came back to school. He felt awful.

I'm just glad I don't set off metal detectors. The doctor said there was a 50-50 chance that the plate would set off every single metal detector I went through. The best part is that I have a pair of cool scars, and you can still feel the screws. I like to freak out my friends that way.

Edited by Golden Shield

When I was 4, I had to get 5 stitches right between my nostrils because I ripped that bit of skin between them.

Oh my god that is... Unfortunate.

Wow that is insane. Like crazy..

A cyst ruptured inside ya? I could only imagine! Seriously. I've seen cysts be popped externally but I've never heard of one being inside someone.

post-14906-0-00853200-1391491342_thumb.jpg

I've had a Spinal Fusion back in 2012 because i had Scoliosis. 

It sucked ass. I now have 2 rods on each side of my spine as well as 19 screws.

Pictures below!

Before surgery.

img-2267869-1-1656089_612216375513075_18

After surgery. 

img-2267869-2-1545891_612216368846409_28

Didn't feel like editing out my info. But who cares.

But yeah, it was a major surgery..

Flying must be a hassle

Anyway, I kind of had a major stitch job. When I was 6, I tripped on the little cleats that you dock a boat to. I tripped, ripped my wet foot wide open, and had to get 27 stitches in my right foot to save 3 toes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Flying must be a hassle

Anyway, I kind of had a major stitch job. When I was 6, I tripped on the little cleats that you dock a boat to. I tripped, ripped my wet foot wide open, and had to get 27 stitches in my right foot to save 3 toes.

Wow those X-Rays look unreal.

That is really scary, yet interesting...

How did you feel after the surgery? Did you have to position yourself a specific way for your back to heal?

Edited by Samurott77

What did that feel like?

My dad's friends' daughter got appendicitis on ThanksGiving and she threw up blood on the way to the hospital 0_o

Was it like a stabbing pain?

Sort of, it basically felt like my gut was gonna explode (later found out cause it WAS gonna explode), but I wasn't throwing up blood.

It was enough pain to make me unable to walk, or barely crawl.

In the end my apendix literally exploded inside me, giving me a REALLY bad infection.

But in hospital I got jelly and custard! Yum..  :derp:

I've had two surgeries

When I was 16, I had an ingrown toenail that had become pretty bad and they had to remove the whole nail bed. Couldn't walk right for a few weeks.

The major one happened when I was 11. My left shoulder was dislocated and it had to be operated on. Story in the spoiler if you care to read:

I was walking to school when I was hit by a minivan going about 25 miles an hour. It sent me flying through the air. I read the police report recently and I think it said I was thrown something like 30 feet. Can't remember the exact number. Anyway, it was so sudden that even a good couple minutes after it happened, I still had no idea what was happening. I tried to get up and keep walking as if nothing happened. All I knew was for some reason I was hurting and I was lying in the middle of a street, which was a weird place for me to be. After all, it's not every day you find yourself on your back on a busy road at 8 in the morning. 

Now the way I was facing when the van hit me, my left shoulder was what got hit. Funny to think that if I had been only two feet further than I was, I could be in a wheelchair right now. I'm pretty fortunate that I'm not. 

I remember that my x-ray showed that nothing at all had broken. The ball of my arm was forced out of the socket and all the tendons and ligaments in there were pretty much destroyed. But the doctors had all commented that my bones were extremely strong. I guess drinking all that milk paid off. 

Anyway, I spent three days in the hospital. On the second day, they operated on me. They had to get the bone back to where it was supposed to be and hold it down there so they drilled a hole in my arm and stuck a pin in it. I was down for about a week. A week after that, I had physical therapy. When I could go back to school, my arm was still in a sling. Mind you, I'm left handed so it royally sucked for me to have to get used to writing like that. But I adapted. I'm pretty fortunate that I was able to make a full recovery with no complications

I've had two surgeries

When I was 16, I had an ingrown toenail that had become pretty bad and they had to remove the whole nail bed. Couldn't walk right for a few weeks.

The major one happened when I was 11. My left shoulder was dislocated and it had to be operated on. Story in the spoiler if you care to read:

I was walking to school when I was hit by a minivan going about 25 miles an hour. It sent me flying through the air. I read the police report recently and I think it said I was thrown something like 30 feet. Can't remember the exact number. Anyway, it was so sudden that even a good couple minutes after it happened, I still had no idea what was happening. I tried to get up and keep walking as if nothing happened. All I knew was for some reason I was hurting and I was lying in the middle of a street, which was a weird place for me to be. After all, it's not every day you find yourself on your back on a busy road at 8 in the morning. 

Now the way I was facing when the van hit me, my left shoulder was what got hit. Funny to think that if I had been only two feet further than I was, I could be in a wheelchair right now. I'm pretty fortunate that I'm not. 

I remember that my x-ray showed that nothing at all had broken. The ball of my arm was forced out of the socket and all the tendons and ligaments in there were pretty much destroyed. But the doctors had all commented that my bones were extremely strong. I guess drinking all that milk paid off. 

Anyway, I spent three days in the hospital. On the second day, they operated on me. They had to get the bone back to where it was supposed to be and hold it down there so they drilled a hole in my arm and stuck a pin in it. I was down for about a week. A week after that, I had physical therapy. When I could go back to school, my arm was still in a sling. Mind you, I'm left handed so it royally sucked for me to have to get used to writing like that. But I adapted. I'm pretty fortunate that I was able to make a full recovery with no complications

I heard ingrown nails hurt very bad. My friend had one and he said it was horrible. Then again I guess it depends on how deep the ingrown nail is.

I've seen videos on YouTube of people getting ingrown toenails removed.

And I read the other story about your arm/shoulder. That's horrible..

I've never been hit by a car, but I have been in an accident where the truck flipped 3 times. I imagine it feels a bit similar? I don't know haha.

Sort of, it basically felt like my gut was gonna explode (later found out cause it WAS gonna explode), but I wasn't throwing up blood.

It was enough pain to make me unable to walk, or barely crawl.

In the end my apendix literally exploded inside me, giving me a REALLY bad infection.

But in hospital I got jelly and custard! Yum..  :derp:

Every time I have any kind of pain where my appendix is located, I assume I have appendicitis. My parents think I'm too paranoid. They tell me "If you had appendicitis, you'd know it,"

all my 4 wisdom theeth.. GOODBYE! in a single operation

then i had a rally incident with my racing car, flipped down a cliff rolled 3 times.. i broke three ribs and almost had a pneumotorax, but anyway

broke my leg while racing cycling, a fucking moron charged me on the trunk of his car

i got a benign skin tumor removed

so that's it... anyway.. i had more on other people XD being a paramedic XD nah just kidding, the mostinvasive think i have done was intubing

They tell me "If you had appendicitis, you'd know it,"

ah mate.. and this is true.. really... i never had that luckily *touches iron* but yeah they are like a stab

Nope. No surgeries or nothing. Not even Wisdom teeth, for both of my parents never had theirs. 

But I never almost needed one or nothing. I never even been sedated with anything either. I only broke one bone and that was my finger. 

Man...I really take care of myself xD

I had an operation on my eye once... I was too young to remember it though... And when I was about six I had an ear operation... Though all I remember of that is waking up to my teddy having a bandage on his ear, being told before I was anaesthetised to try and count to ten... I got to eleven! xD being taken to the ward and given some disney coloring sheets to do... And being told I'm a brave girl because I wasn't sick when I woke up!

No memory of pain whatsoever!

• Brohoof 2

I've had a broken arm so of course I had surgery for that. I fell off a rocking horse and funny thing is my mom and sister fell off of two real horses. XD! I've been in the ER twice for my teeth, so that's a surgery. And also I've had three heart surgeries. One when I was 7 days old, one when I was 3 months old, and one when I was 10 years old. I'm not afraid of surgery though. If I die that way that's just my time to die and I'm not afraid of it or ashamed. 

I've got a congential heart defect - my defect/syndrome is known as 22.Q Deletion Syndrome and that causes most of my problems. I have valvular heart problems and all of my valves are leaky so the doctors worked on it and made it as good as its gonna get, pretty much what they said. 

They did a research thing called The Melody Valve (Google it) and because of the info they gathered from my tests at Miami Childrens Hospital they were able to help other hospitals out around the US and around the world. Pretty neat huh? When I was ten I remember just going in, getting a mask put around me, counting to ten - I don't remember what number I go to - but probably 9 or something. Then waking up and having bandages on my chest. Feeling a little tightness because of the bandages but thats about it. 

I was crying because my parents werent there, I wanted them to come, but it was like 1-3 AM in the morning so they were asleep at the hotel room. The nurses and doctors took very good care of me all three times. They saved my life and I thank them very much for what they did. Redmond Burke was my doctor one time and I was 5 kilograms (Google again, convert metric) and the smallest baby he's ever operated on. My mom treats him like a god and rightfully so. 

Surgery isn't scary everypony. Especially when you've got a lot of others to support you and such! (\ 

• Brohoof 1

What is a Tubal Ligation? (if you don't mind explaining). And yuck, being filled with fluids.. That sentence made me feel kinda gross xD

Oh I hate needles, too. I don't cry when I get shots, but I still need to squeeze someone's hand. I also bring sour candy with me so I can eat it while they give the injection.

And I have 3 tattoos. It's kind of ironic that someone who is terrified of needles still gets tattoos.

Oddly enough, I've come to actually like that pain of getting tattoos

A tubal Ligation is the technical term for “getting your tubes tied.”It is a form of permanent birth control for women, the female version of a vasectomy.  However, it’s extremely hard for young adults to get this procedure done because of legal liabilities. That’s why most women get this done once they hit menopause and have had multiple children (their  40’s or 50’s).  This procedure cannot be reversed (for the most part). It’s a legal nightmare because women who have gotten it done while young often come to regret it in the future and demand it be reversed. However, depending on the procedure, it cannot be reversed and thus they end up suing doctors.  I was able to have it done due to having a heavily scarred uterus, which is dangerous if I were to get pregnant.  I have a high chance of an Ectopic pregnancy, which means a fetus will grow in my fallopian tubes and that would kill me.

I have 5 tattoos, two of which are on my wrist. I only go to one tattoo place for anything that may need to be done on them.  I am very good friends with the owner and thus I trust his judgment a lot more than a stranger, plus he does AMAZING work (though my tats are very very simple).  At first I’d hold hands with my husband, but now , since two are on my wrists and thus I have to be ‘relaxed’, I just blare my music, chew some gum, and/or try to carry on a conversation that will distract me.  The pain isn’t a problem, it’s just the needles…seeing then near and on my skin….just thinking about it makes me shudder….