Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Watch Dogs Trademark Canned

FaZe Vinyl

Ubisoft has cancelled the trademark "Watch Dogs."

What is going on with Watch_Dogs?

Ubisoft announced that it had officially delayed the title back in Oct. 2013. That happened on the 15th, to be exact, and the gameicon1.png hasn’t really been heard of or seen since then.

Today, one NeoGAF user  (Rösti) spotted something with Ubisoft’s trademark ownership regarding Watch_Dogs. The company “filed an express abandonment” of the “WATCH DOGS” trademark. Here’s a screenshot of the findings for posterity.

Watch-Dogs-Trademark-Abandonment-630x256

Of course, this could be an instance where Ubisoft is letting “WATCH DOGS” slip as it isn’t the exact way it spells the title. That would be “Watch_Dogs.” Though, holding both trademarks makes sense.

It could also be a situation where Ubisoft is in the process of changing the title of the gameicon1.png. Maybe. Again, this position doesn’t make much sense simply because the Watch_Dogs brand already has a strong presence in the gaming world. Why leave that behind?

Then there’s the inherent fear that Ubisoft abandoned the trademark because it’s in the process of canceling the game. If the company confirms or denies this possibility, we’ll be sure to either update this story or produce a new one given the circumstances.

Even better? Watch_Dogs is being turned into Assassin’s Creed V as Ubisoft possibly thinks a new game in that brand would sell a whole lot more.

What do you think? Is this something to worry about?

I had a heart attack when I first heard this, as this is the title I'm looking forward to the most this year, though it looks like It's still up to go public in (hopefully) Q2. Also, Ubisoft still owns "Watch_Dogs," the official title of the game.

Another interesting point is brought up. Could it be renamed Assassins Creed V? Probably not, but do you think that would be a good direction for the game?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If Ubisoft is abandoning the trademark for the game, I hope they don't think about abandoning the whole game completely due to this.

abandoning a game that has developed a rather strong fanbase even before it's launch, would be pretty dumb.

i don't think they would do that. tough this all looks pretty sketchy too...

Link to an article?

If this does spell bad news for the game, then I'm glad I cancelled my preorder when I did. Though it still sucks since I was really looking forward to the game

Also, turning it into Assassin's Creed V would suck imo

Edited by Megas75

Link to an article?

If this does spell bad news for the game, then I'm glad I cancelled my preorder when I did. Though it still sucks since I was really looking forward to the game

Also, turning it into Assassin's Creed V would suck imo

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/02/03/ubisoft-abandons-watch-dogs-trademark/

It actually copied the article to the OP.

http://kotaku.com/fraud-pretends-to-be-ubisoft-tries-cancelling-watch-1515312347

Looks like this was all a big hoax.

• Brohoof 1