Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Offensive" Coke Commercial

LunaUmbra

So, according to the news, the Coke commercial that aired during the Super Bowl was "unamerican" and a "slap to the face of America." Apparently, it is "shoving multiculturalism down american throats" and conservatives in the States are up in arms over it. And quite frankly... I don't see it.

In summary, the commercial is a series of short clips showing people of different ethnicities, in essence, being happy (with a Coke or two in a couple of shots) to the tune of America the Beautiful sung in varying languages. It's all very patriotic and happy and nice culminating with the Coke logo and the words "America is Beautiful."

All I see is a message of multiculturalism in the States and a nod to it as a beautiful aspect of life in the US. And some people seem to forget... IT'S A SOFT DRINK COMMERCIAL! It's just drawing a connection to Coke being as much a part of the United States as the various ethnicities (and the one gay couple) shown in the commercial. But that's my take on it. Personally I liked it. But maybe you didn't. Share your thoughts!

• Brohoof 11

If anything, I thought it was offensive to other cultures, cause it seemed like it was saying that people all over the world should praise America or something. I don't know, maybe I perceived it in the wrong way. If it was just showing different cultures in America, then that's different, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see a single problem with this commercial. All it's really showing is that different cultures can band together in America with no problems, and of course, enjoy a nice soft drink. There's no problem with the commercial, really, just people overreacting....again...

• Brohoof 3

I didn't find anything wrong with their commercial... The Super Bowl was a bust so instead of trying to make that exciting they decide to make it seem as if Coke did something wrong... Besides I'm a Pepsi fan anyway.... The people who are getting upset at this have a right to be upset, but that doesn't make it right.

• Brohoof 1

So, according to the news, the Coke commercial that aired during the Super Bowl was "unamerican" and a "slap to the face of America." Apparently, it is "shoving multiculturalism down american throats" and conservatives in the States are up in arms over it. And quite frankly... I don't see it.

In summary, the commercial is a series of short clips showing people of different ethnicities, in essence, being happy (with a Coke or two in a couple of shots) to the tune of America the Beautiful sung in varying languages. It's all very patriotic and happy and nice culminating with the Coke logo and the words "America is Beautiful."

All I see is a message of multiculturalism in the States and a nod to it as a beautiful aspect of life in the US. And some people seem to forget... IT'S A SOFT DRINK COMMERCIAL! It's just drawing a connection to Coke being as much a part of the United States as the various ethnicities (and the one gay couple) shown in the commercial. But that's my take on it. Personally I liked it. But maybe you didn't. Share your thoughts!

I'm sorry i don't live in america but i'sent the whole point of the USA was meant to be a multi cultured society. those fox news reporters can be idiots (i'm guessing fox because they suck) but yeah i agree if you man damn some Americans get carried away in the whole patriotism shit. not hate to Americans its just the small percentage of you who annoy me.

I completely understand the people who think that the commerical was offensive.. since English is spoken in the government, and the vast majority of areas.. even the attempted intercity..

but America has many groups within. I prefer English over all, but if you attempt to learn my language, ill attempt to learn yours.. not tough

If anything, I thought it was offensive to other cultures, cause it seemed like it was saying that people all over the world should praise America or something.

I was kind of thinking the same thing when I saw it.

Edited by Shawn Parks

The Coke commercial was offensive because this is goddang America and we speak goddang American here. You come to my country? You learn my goddang language. We don't got room for people who can't speak American here. It is un-American and that commercial is rude.

Just kidding :P I'm Canadian and this is all I've been seeing of America's reaction to the commercial.

This is one reason why people don't see America in a good light: it is more a melting pot than a cultural mosaic D:

• Brohoof 3

Well seems someone else beat me to the punch making a thread about the commercial. I don't see what the big deal is. America is suppose to be a melting pot of different people, cultures, and beliefs. So I don't see what the big deal is? I thought it was great, made me feel pride in being an American. But that pride quickly died, when I saw people's reaction. 

What I did find offensive is how some people thought it was the national anthem of the United States. Seriously! Some thought it was the "Star Spangled Banner". *facehoof* But I shouldn't be surprised, its human stupidity.

• Brohoof 2

I think I missed this commercial. I don't even remember seeing it.

Anyway, I think this thing is being blown out of proportion. There's very few real people complaining about it, but the media is blowing it up because "muh controversy" "muh ratings", since "conservative hate" pretty much guarantees views.

• Brohoof 1

The song does not lose value when it is sung in other languages, full integrity is intact. I would presume the individuals most offended by the commercial most likely do not know the lyrics to "America is Beautiful." As a matter of fact, I wonder if anyone complaining about this on twitter listens to this song in english on their own time. Certainly "America is Beautiful" is nowhere near the top of the billboard charts, how important is this song to people really? It comes down to racism, those poor victims of ignorance. I dig the singing in different languages, they were all beautiful sounding adding an edginess that wasn't jarring. It's what you call art, it makes you feel something even if it's not a feeling you like henceforth people are mad, yo.

Looking at this from a marketting perspective the soda company has nothing to worry about, people are blabbing about it all over twitter so coke got what they wanted. In their advertising companies are now considering the public's reaction via social media. Classic marketting psychology work on Coke's part, I tip my hat to that since they paid big bucks not only for the spot during half time, but also to research and critique the concept of possibly pushing people's buttons up and down middle America. :) :)

I really think people don't get what they were going for. America was FOUNDED AND BUILT UPON by people of all different ethnicity and beliefs, they were simply celebrating that, and how diverse we as a country are. We are all living in the same place despite our differences, and can enjoy something as simple as coke together because of it.

• Brohoof 8

The number one rule of media. Or number 2 or whatever. It's a rule none the less.

Everything is offensive.

And the controversy stirred up when this happens will draw more customers in to both the reporter and the reportee. It's pretty stupid, but slow news days happen.

• Brohoof 5

I don't remember this one... Then again, I was blacked out drunk by the end of the first quarter, since I couldn't stop taking celebratory drinks every time the Broncos messed up. (Which led itself to way too much drinking very quickly!)

I don't remember this one... Then again, I was blacked out drunk by the end of the first quarter, since I couldn't stop taking celebratory drinks every time the Broncos messed up. (Which led itself to way too much drinking very quickly!)

Exact opposite boat for me. Was sober the entire game. It was horrible. Ended up just turning off the game about half way through the fourth quarter. I just didn't care anymore.

If anything, I thought it was offensive to other cultures, cause it seemed like it was saying that people all over the world should praise America or something. I don't know, maybe I perceived it in the wrong way. If it was just showing different cultures in America, then that's different, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Okay, what ad were you watching? Please point me to where it demanded everyone praise America. I could've sworn it was saying America is great because it's a melting pot, which is true, but maybe I missed something. :P

Twitter bigots had a ball with this stuff though. #SpeakAmerican trended for a while. Some used it seriously (bigots), others to mock the bigots. I chose mockery. "SH makes a certain sound. Random other letters also make that same sound but only in certain words because this language is arbitrary and nonsensical! #SpeakAmerican"

Also, to any who actually watched the Superbowl (I DVR'd for the commercials)...Why? The Puppy Bowl exists now. Kitty Bowl too. Or you could've marathoned Philip Seymour Hoffman movies because he's real talent, not just running around in a field. Or marathoned other movies. Or masturbated vigorously over an alpaca rug. Really, anything's better than some football game. You can see football games anytime. Hell, you can PLAY football games, either virtual or live-action. God, the Superbowl is overrated. /tangentialrant

Exact opposite boat for me. Was sober the entire game. It was horrible. Ended up just turning off the game about half way through the fourth quarter. I just didn't care anymore.

And I did watch it at all..Besides all the big "Super Bowl" ads came out like a week prior, so I didn't need to waste my time on Sunday. lol..  :3

Plus since I don't see the ad itself in this thread, here it is:

http://youtu.be/A8iM73E6JP8

Edited by Sir Cal Stonehoof
  • Brohoof 1

Blah. People who think it was offensive should go back to the 50's and let the rest of us enjoy it in modern times. I don't think it was offensive, it was showing like everyone loves coke, and America is beautiful. 

Coast Life Guy @coastlifeguy

That coke commercial made me realize that there are two types of people. 1) true Americans 2) white people who forgot they were Europeans.

That's my favorite line on the twitter thing. lol :P

• Brohoof 3

If people get angry against this commercial... it only proves that some Americans are still living in the past. Pretty disappointed my stars and stripes friends

• Brohoof 1

I once saw a picture I found hilarious... It was made in good humor and not meant to be taken seriously but it was a picture of a Native American with the caption "anti-immigration? When y'all leaving?"

Does it matter what language people choose to speak at home? If an American moved to say France or something they wouldn't start speaking French in their home... And with other people who speak English... They wouldn't speak French just because they were in France... America should be proud so many cultures have been welcomed to their land... Surely multiculturalism is something to be proud of... It means people like your country enough to move there...

If the people from other ethnicities started to complain about the American flag though... Or claiming being patriotic is offensive... That's when I get annoyed...

• Brohoof 1

There was nothing wrong with the commercial it was just hyped up against by racists and homophobes. Racists obviously because another language "threatens" them and apparently believing multiculturalism in its true form is "un-American." I say homophobes too because many also had issues with a gay couple being featured in the commercial and it "soiled" the song, however, interesting fact the author of the song was, in fact, a lesbian and had a life partner of over 25 years. Basically what I am saying is the "offensive" nature of this ad is based on pure racism at heart.

• Brohoof 1

that-is-just-sad. If we're talking 'offensive' commercials in general, how about some of those Nando's ads? Or the Dicksmith Australia Day ad from last year (though it's highly likely that was meant to be offensive)

• Brohoof 1

So some Americans are offended that the commercial portrays America as a land of opportunity where those of all creeds and colors have the chance to live a good life rather than it being a cesspool of bigoted ignorant morons?

Wow. Way to go people...

To those "offended" by the commercial...How is it un-American? That commercial was as American as you can get.

Edited by Rivendare