Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Offensive" Coke Commercial

LunaUmbra

Wasn't there a Cheerios commercial that was supposedly "offensive" as well for featuring a biracial couple? (As if that never existed in advertising.) Seriously, I can't believe people who would take issue with the fact that everyone doesn't look like them still exist today. Grow the fuck up.

• Brohoof 2

I wasn't offended by it, I know. It's just a soda commercial, I don't even drink soda. People should stop acting like something so insignificant holds great weight. Either way, it's a matter of intent vs. interpretation. It's obvious their intent was to say something positive, people are just purposely interpreting it in a way that gives them a reason to be upset. In other words, just another story of people looking for a reason to be upset, because playing the victim is beneficial to getting what you want.

I stopped drinking soda a long time ago, so this doesn't affect me, but I am sure if Coke loses a few bigots as customers they won't be crying over it.

I believe you misunderstood what I was trying to say... What I meant was not that people shouldn't learn the language of the country they move to... I would be the last person to suggest such a thing... What I meant to say was that people have a right to speak their native language in their own home ! I wasn't suggesting they don't learn the language of the country I was implying that if your first language is not the native tongue spoken in the country in which you live, then of course you're going to speak your first language in your own home or with friends in the country who speak the same language... They aren't just going to forsake their first language in their own home...

Ohhhhhhh O: I see, now! Yeah, I get it. I mean, I know a lot of bi-lingual people and what I gathered from them, they speak their first language in-home but also throw in English, too, as to not get rusty X3 But that's personal preference, of course.

I think that being allowed to speak your native tongue in your home is perfect because it's your own damn house :P you do what you want! However, to ONLY be allowed to speak your native language in your home is bad D: because it takes away your right to speak it in public.

How is it "Shoving multiculturalism down our throats". That's the BIGGEST load I've ever hear. People from different places live in America, get over it.

Immigrants earn their citizenship, and some probably deserve it more than the people criticizing the advertisement. 

• Brohoof 1

Ohhhhhhh O: I see, now! Yeah, I get it. I mean, I know a lot of bi-lingual people and what I gathered from them, they speak their first language in-home but also throw in English, too, as to not get rusty X3 But that's personal preference, of course.

I think that being allowed to speak your native tongue in your home is perfect because it's your own damn house :P you do what you want! However, to ONLY be allowed to speak your native language in your home is bad D: because it takes away your right to speak it in public.

America has no official language. So I don't know where this idea that we are forcing people to abandon their culture comes from. Probably from the same idiots who are getting pissed about this commercial. Have you been to NY? There are tons of people here who form entire areas focused around their culture. If I walk downtown in a nearby city there are tons of people living like they would in Israel, following their traditional customs. There are hundreds of places like that here in NY in general.

The only people who are pushing this idea of "we must Americanize everything" are the bigots. A majority of America doesn't give a damn what you do, so long as you're not hurting anyone. Unfortunately, bigots scream loud and they are more interesting stories to report, so a lot of the world assumes that the entire country is like this. I have lived in America my entire life, and I find the people who criticize it the most have either never lived here, or have not lived here for very long. No one seems interested in learning the statistics of this all.

America has no official language. So I don't know where this idea that we are forcing people to abandon their culture comes from. Probably from the same idiots who are getting pissed about this commercial. Have you been to NY? There are tons of people here who form entire areas focused around their culture. If I walk downtown in a nearby city there are tons of people living like they would in Israel, following their traditional customs. There are hundreds of places like that here in NY in general.

The only people who are pushing this idea of "we must Americanize everything" are the bigots. A majority of America doesn't give a damn what you do, so long as you're not hurting anyone. Unfortunately, bigots scream loud and they are more interesting stories to report, so a lot of the world assumes that the entire country is like this. I have lived in America my entire life, and I find the people who criticize it the most have either never lived here, or have not lived here for very long. No one seems interested in learning the statistics of this all.

I heard that some states actually say their official language is English. O: However, I get my ideas about Americans from the American persons that I know and have met. The American friends I have? Cool people, we share the same interests and even when we talk politics, they're typically on the anti-American government side.

The Americans I have met? 8 times out of 10 jerks =___= Living in a border city sucks when you work in fast-food. "What do you mean you only accept 90 cents for every American dollar? This is an outrage! Our dollar is worth more than yours, puny Canadian, so in actuality you should be paying me for this pizza!"

True story.

Though I'd like to say officially that I obviously don't think ALL Americans are like this :P just a lot of jerks from Michigan XD

I heard that some states actually say their official language is English. O: However, I get my ideas about Americans from the American persons that I know and have met. The American friends I have? Cool people, we share the same interests and even when we talk politics, they're typically on the anti-American government side.

The Americans I have met? 8 times out of 10 jerks =___= Living in a border city sucks when you work in fast-food. "What do you mean you only accept 90 cents for every American dollar? This is an outrage! Our dollar is worth more than yours, puny Canadian, so in actuality you should be paying me for this pizza!"

True story.

Though I'd like to say officially that I obviously don't think ALL Americans are like this :P just a lot of jerks from Michigan XD

Hey! I'm not a jerk just because I come from Michigan.  :lol:  But you're almost spot on about Americans in general, there is an overinflated sense of self. 

I heard that some states actually say their official language is English.

Ah anyone telling you that is lying though.

I thought that the commercial was kind if cool, and not offensive. The national anthem sounded Just as good in other languages. A lot if different languages are spoken In America, so I thought it was kind of cool that the song was sung in various languages. It was a neat little patriotic commercial about a soft drink. Anyways its just a Coke commercial so I'm not going to put too much thought into whether it was offensive or not.

I saw the commerical, and i thought it was beautiful. Not every American speaks English fully. I have quite a few friends who speak Polish and yet attend my American school. But they also speak fluent English. I'm just saying, not every single person fully speaks English

Hey! I'm not a jerk just because I come from Michigan.  :lol:  But you're almost spot on about Americans in general, there is an overinflated sense of self. 

Yeah, but you honestly can't blame the people, you know? It's like... if you raise a child to believe they're better than anyone then they will go their whole lives thinking like that :P It's all the government propaganda that has been fed to the American people under the guise of patriotism that makes some of them think that way ever since America was colonized XD At least that's how I see it

• Brohoof 1

Now I could be wrong when I say this, but in a way, I can see where everyone else who says it is gets the idea.

But to be fair, it's just a commercial, and that's it, nothing more, a soda commercial of all sorts.

I never did find any big deal with this, so his proves that most still over think it on stuff that was never offensive in the first place.

Is the media overreacting again? Figures.

I honestly don't see a problem with the commercial. I think it shows that any culture can live together in peace and harmony. America was built by stuff like cultural equality, and I thought the commercial sent the message quite well.

Well I can see how some would take this the wrong way and yes I'm an American.

It is kinda a shove down on peoples throats if its percieved that way. But when i first gave it a watch, which was now, to me it reminded me of what it means to be an american, and to love my neighbors, whether they are american or not.

What I mean is, I don't mean all countries should follow our role or theme or beliefs, but that we should at least work together as friends and neighbors, not fight and declare war on each other which sadly is the case today. On a multi culture level, the USA is created by all forms of different cultured people. My ancestors come from Germany, Scotland, Ireland, France, AND Native American, the USA is a multied culture, hence why I don't take offense to this video. But I can see why others would, they could have done it a little bit better, but for the most part I still found it touching.

I never saw the commercial, I'll look it up on youtube.

I've seen it and don't see anything to be offended about. It's just about America being multicultural.

• Brohoof 1

The national anthem is The Star Spangled Banner, not America is Beautiful...

Did I say national anthem? How could have I made that mistake? I just don't know what went wrong.  :muffins:

Sorry I wrote that message on my new phone in study hall, and I wasn't really paying attention to what I was typing. I was more or less figuring out how to use the damn touchscreen keyboard. 

• Brohoof 1

TBH not sure on it. While it shows that the country is multicultural it also sadly shows its very divided in that same aspect. As we're placing far to much emphasis on historical heritage vs actual national pride.

The song was VERY well executed though, and beautifully sung.

Ah anyone telling you that is lying though.

Not really, it is technically (or at least was, may have changed in recent years) illegal to speak a foreign language (I.E. not English) in a U.S. government  building or while in a military uniform on duty. While I was in the Navy they actually warned of this in boot camp and at command orientation.

One of the many unenforced laws and UCMJ articles mostly due to the obvious controversy it carries and the government/Military both hiring non-english speaking personnel to begin with...

Though with immigration being a hot topic over the past few years, and some companies trying to actively band non-english languages from their workplaces (in order to prevent misunderstandings between workers, and harassment via use of a language that isn't understood by all employee's) this may be completely crushed by now.

Edited by GrimCW