Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everyone love Rarity so much?

Not_Human_

Wait, do people hate Fluttershy and absolutley adore Rarity? I thought it was the opposite :o !

I personally like Fluttershy the most and Rarity is my least favourite of the mane six, but i still like Rarity :D

Personally, she's the most relatable of the group. Most of her episodes have problems that most people have had before, or that people can see themselves in. Also, It could be how she reacts to these problems. She used to blow things way out of proportion, but the writers have toned it down and made her a much more calm and likable character.

• 2 months later...

The question that I have been asking myself for a while now is: "Why do so many people like Rarity?"

I truly don't see what is so good about her. She is a total sellout and all of her episodes are pretty much the same thing. Rarity trying to gain fame or something and upsetting or abusing her friends along the way just to make up by the end of the episode. I don't also like much about her character.

If you are a Rarity fan then please tell me why you like her so much, I am really wandering why. 

PS. Twilight is best pony from the Mane Six. 

inb4 ghostie

I'm not a particular fan of Rarity. She was my least favorite, but has recently been crawling up the list because I think she faces a dilemma much higher than most of the mane 6. She unlike the others has to juggle friendship with the toils of a free market society. She is the only one that owns her own business that relies on customers outside of the Ponyville area. You may call her a sellout when she has to make the decision between her business and her friends, but she always has her friends at heart and feels horrible about it and eventually realizes she needs her friends more.

This topic has been brought up before, but I think people admire her for her generosity. xD
inb4ghostie

Edited by Nature Of Fluttershy

Probably for the biggest reason mostly a lot of rarity fans have stated. She's good looking. A lot have a "crush" on her. That's how i'd say it because I can't think of anything bigger. In short, not only is she pretty, but she also has a very great personality. That and basically what everyone said above.

Edited by Star Ruby

I like Rarity because, like each of her friends, they have a trait that defines who they are whether its a trait that is the complete opposite of who they are or a trait that is the sole embodiment of their personality, a person will find something to like about her.

Because she is one of the most complex and interesting characters in the show? Because her creative ambitions resonate with many people? Because she is really entertaining?

A character doesn't have to be perfect, in fact "pure" characters tend to be rather boring. A character that has noticeable flaws but works to overcome them is far more interesting.

• Brohoof 2

Because she's generous, creative, classy, intelligent, and drop-dead gorgeous? Yeah, she can sometimes be a little selfish, or over-dramatic, but that makes her seem more like a real person, and the second is just plain out amusing.

The fact that people somehow manage to ignore her good traits makes me so angry I just wanna punch something:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5LLXGM7cg_M

Edited by BasementPony
  • Brohoof 1

• She is like a real person. She makes mistakes, she has flaws, but it's what makes her REAL and interesting. I don't want to watch the shows about perfect characters. I want characters, who struggle to be good, because this is how life works. Nobody is perfect. Also, perfection is just boring.
  • She's very generous and though she has her weaknesses, in the end she always knows what is important and makes good decisions. It's inspiring.
  • Her relationships with others are interesting (Applejack, Fluttershy, etc).
  • Personally, I can relate to her. I'm a photographer, so I spend a lot of time with models, stylists, etc. I understand her artistic side and her need to be recognizable. As someone, who creates, I also want to be known, because while my art is mostly for myself, I love it when people like it or find motivation in my works.
  • Her voice actor is fantastic.
  • Episodes about her are interesting and entertaining.
  • It's easy to like characters, which are just cute (Fluttershy) or funny (Pinkie). But to like Rarity, you need to understand her, think about her. I love characters, which are more complicated. 
  • Usually, characters like Rarity are portrayed as antagonists. Rarity proves that you can love fashion, sophisticated things and still be good. She breaks stereotypes.

And so on...

PS. Twilight is best pony from the Mane Six. 

Opinions.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 7

I think a better question is, why would you not like Rarity? She is an independent store owner, with world renown designs, that doesn't put herself on a pedastool above her friends. She is a great friend, an excellent designer, she is her own element, the artsy, passionate friend that excels herself in her talent and what she loves, and is still there for her friends while doing so. She is an awesome older sister as her most previous episode shows, my second favorite pony, and pretty much just an excellent role model, for young aspiring girls in that respect. She is still a hard worker, her work is just different, it's art, and she is lovely.

Edited by Starlight Glisten
  • Brohoof 3

The fact that she's not perfect makes her great. She may be a drama queen, stuck-up at times and never wanting to get her hooves dirty, but when push comes to shove, she'll be there for her friends.

Tabitha St. Germain is an incredible voice actor, and Rarity has some of the coolest voice moments on the show.

Rarity is the epitome of breaking stereotypes. She's a fashion designer who is best friends with a country farmer. Technically, they're both breaking fifty million stereotypes right there.

Another thing I love is that Rarity isn't just the girly character who likes clothes. She's the girly character who makes clothes for a living. She has a job. She's doing what she loves. She's doing what she loves WELL. Isn't that a great role model for a young girl?

Yeah, she makes mistakes. Obviously. She yells at her friends because she's stressed and forgets to thank them for all of their help. And then, she feels HORRIBLE. I know I would feel the same way if I realized I just totally used my friends.

Rarity is a character who could have SO EASILY been a Mary Sue. But she's not. If anything, she's one of the ones who makes the most mistakes. That is what makes her a great character.

• Brohoof 4

@

Hey, as it turns out, we already had a similar thread concerning why the fandom likes Rarity, so I merged your thread with the previous one.

I want to remind everyone to please stay on-topic. As tempting as it is to say inb4ghostie, you still need to post something that is relevant to the topic as well. I will be removing off-topic posts. Thanks! :)

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

Just gonna repost what I said in another thread

Oh boy another "Why does everyone like..."

Wait Rarity? Really?

If anything, she's the most underrated the mane 6.

Rarity isn't the kind of character that gets threads like these(then again I prefer them not showing up at all)

I think she's one of the funniest characters in the show

She's classy

And she's arguably the most flawed of the mane 6(rivaling RD), and imo the flaws just make her even more interesting character

Edited by Randy Marsh
  • Brohoof 2

I love her because she's artistic (I in fact design dresses myself and I'm obsessed with looking at dresses even though I hate wearing them (my tomboyish part) and I love her sense of art in general like I paint and draw and play the keyboard etc. so yeah

Another thing is even though she makes a lot of mistakes she learns from them GENUINELY and I say this in the nicest way... to me she's the one from the 6 that is more noticeable to see when she learns her lessons and across the show she has learned a LOT and grown up a lot...

Also I love her neatness and cleaness... yes I'm a tomboy and I look for comfort all the time but doesn't Rarity herself look for comfort? see she's girly and still looks for comfort but yeah going back... I'm a clean freak myself I can't stand to see a piece of paper in the floor in my room or food in the floor (even though I do eat in my room) because I get annoyed I'm also a big germaphobe in public places too and just because I'm a tomboy doesn't mean I can't be neat and have a germaphobia I only say I'm a tomboy because I dress up guyish but I STILL dress up guyish with STYLE (I do care about my appearance when I dress up guyish I have to look cool guyish) so in that sense I get her and sometimes my inner girly girl gets out too especially before sleep I love girly PJs and I love getting my nails done too the only reason I don't wear make up (besides lipstick) is because to me that's not healthy for the skin (also a health freak here)

I totally get her but MOST of all she has a WONDERFUL heart and LOVES her friends to death I know I love my friends to death and also she's very genuinely generous and I don't like to brag about that I'm just comparing here to justify why I like her but I am generous in that sense and also in that episode when spike almost confessed his crush for her did you noticed her eyes watered? she did shut him but her eyes watered and also how she defended her ruby BECAUSE spike gave her that (it seems to me that she's sort of scared to put her feelings out there EVEN THOUGH sometimes she acts dramatic (I do admit I do that too but I'm slowly cutting down on it because I know it annoys my friends) she actually doesn't put her feelings out there easy trying to though it up (something I do A LOT)

Also she's very independent and works hard just as the rest of them but yeah she has her own business, her own home, her own job, (EXACTLY what I'm aiming for now even though thanks to ppl things have been hard :C) and her own lovely pet cat and I love cats myself gosh there's just so much XD but yeah I still love all of the 6 though ^-^ I have some stuff in common with all but I relate a LOT to her plus another thing is her appearance... people judge her because of her "bitchy" appearance and I get those judgements made all the time then when people get to know me (well some people) they slow down

maybe before judging a pony so quickly get to know them better or pay close attention to details (ANOTHER thing her and me have in common we pay VERY close attention to small details to the point that from watching Adventure Time so much I've come up with some theories myself)

Also quick note I forgot I'm sort of a goth and love gothic culture (yes the buildings, music, clothing, and costumes) and the goth community are VERY fashion like yes they like dark fashion because we see the beauty in darkness but we love fashion like usually the dresses I obsess with are goth like

Well this is just my opinion .-.

post-26202-0-64192500-1398109144_thumb.png

Edited by MarcelineA
  • Brohoof 3

Another thing is even though she makes a lot of mistakes she learns from them GENUINELY and I say this in the nicest way... to me she's the one from the 6 that is more noticeable to see when she learns her lessons and across the show she has learned a LOT and grown up a lot...

Oh, right :D I'm glad you mentioned about it! She really learns her lessosn, unlike Fluttershy. Every lesson she learned so far was unique and she never made the same mistake twice. Her relationship with AJ is a good example. At the beginning of the series, they were arguing all the time and had problem with accepting each other, but they both learned how to accept and even like their differences. Of course, sometimes they still argue, but it's natural. It's really easy to see how much their friendship changed and how close they are. 

• Brohoof 2

*sigh* How often do we need that kind of thread?

Rarity is a beautiful, generous and nice lady.

She wants to be beautiful, but she wants everypony else to be beautiful too, that is her generosity. Instead of hoarding her beauty, she shares it.

She makes expensive gifts. Clothes that she made herself, she sacrificed her time and wealth to make them and gives them just away.

Does she make errors? Does she sometimes stray from the path of generosity? Yes! But she always is sorry about it and goes to great lengths to make up for it.

Does she have flaws? She is vain and she can be selfish for example, but these things make her interesting. Who can say from himself that he is flawless?

She is one of the most likely of the mane6 to go out of her comfort zone to make others happy or help them.

She will work herself to the bone for her friends.

She is a great rolemodel. She runs her own business, ALL ALONE! But still ranks her friends before her career.

Speaking of which. She sacrifices advancement in her career for the sake of her friends. She sometimes loses her head in the clouds, but in the end she ALWAYS does the right thing.

She is a true artist, not just another fashion victim. She does not run after trends, she makes them.

She is a great and caring friend and sister.

She forgives very easily.

She is exceptionally brave.

She is a kick ass fighter.

She is not an airhead, she is a smart mare and a cunning businesspony.

She is very polite and nice, a true lady.

She is incredibly funny.

She is a great singer.

She is elegant.

She is beautiful.

She is a true Rarity.

• Brohoof 5

Echhhh.

To be blunt, I feel no need to respond to this topic. I'll do it anyway,  though,  to answer the question posed.

In any case, Rarity is a relatable character to many once you look at her character in color instead of black and white.  She's extremely passionate about what she does;  she's artistic, creative,  generous, and watching her grow out of her flaws and overcome the odds to do what's right is amazing. She's a wonderful character who us often written off as "girly," but to that all I can really ask is if people really watch the show. Sure, she's girly,  but she breaks every single stereotype that her character type is...well, stereotyped as. She can look out for herself ("A Dog and Pony Show" or every single episode; she runs her own business. ) She's humorous ("THIS IS WHIIIIINNNNING!!!!") but caring (I have a list of everything generous she's ever done,  I'll show it to you after I get home from school and back to my desktop) and warmhearted. 

She does the best she can, and damn, just watching her overcome her flaws to do what's right is inspiring :D She's just a beautiful mare, inside and out :wub:

If you have any questions,  please PM me. I'm willing to help you understand in any way I can :D

• Brohoof 7

Oh, right :D I'm glad you mentioned about it! She really learns her lessosn, unlike Fluttershy. Every lesson she learned so far was unique and she never made the same mistake twice. Her relationship with AJ is a good example. At the beginning of the series, they were arguing all the time and had problem with accepting each other, but they both learned how to accept and even like their differences. Of course, sometimes they still argue, but it's natural. It's really easy to see how much their friendship changed and how close they are. 

YES! that's very true and I feel like Applejack does the same as well she's actually my second favorite now from the 6 she's honest and loyal and she's good at thinking XD a lot of them are but Applejack is good with helping out and she's very humble ^-^ I love humility ^-^

post-26202-0-10169200-1398109664.jpg

• Brohoof 3