Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everyone love Rarity so much?

Not_Human_

Echhhh.

To be blunt, I feel no need to respond to this topic. I'll do it anyway,  though,  to answer the question posed.

In any case, Rarity is a relatable character to many once you look at her character in color instead of black and white.  She's extremely passionate about what she does;  she's artistic, creative,  generous, and watching her grow out of her flaws and overcome the odds to do what's right is amazing. She's a wonderful character who us often written off as "girly," but to that all I can really ask is if people really watch the show. Sure, she's girly,  but she breaks every single stereotype that her character type is...well, stereotyped as. She can look out for herself ("A Dog and Pony Show" or every single episode; she runs her own business. ) She's humorous ("THIS IS WHIIIIINNNNING!!!!") but caring (I have a list of everything generous she's ever done,  I'll show it to you after I get home from school and back to my desktop) and warmhearted. 

She does the best she can, and damn, just watching her overcome her flaws to do what's right is inspiring :D She's just a beautiful mare, inside and out :wub:

If you have any questions,  please PM me. I'm willing to help you understand in any way I can :D

Honestly, I feel like this thread can be locked after this. There's really not much more that can be said. This question has been answered a hundred times over.

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly, I feel like this thread can be locked after this. This question has been answered a hundred times over.

Well, that will not avert that new ones will pop up...  :muffins:

Rares seems just too complex for some people. They cannot wrap their head around her character.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, I feel like this thread can be locked after this. This question has been answered a hundred times over.

Exactly. If someone don't even want to give her a chance, then nothing is going to change it, no matter what we'll write here. But if someone genuinely wants to understand her character and like Rarity, then there's really plenty of better topics (Rarity Fan Club, for example) and methods (talking with her fans, reading good fan fics about her or essays written to analyze her character...) to do it. 

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 4

Even though he posed an innocent question ,  I'm angry at school for keeping me away from my computer to provide a more in depth response.

I'm always willing to help in this situation :D He meant no harm,  he just hasn't warmed up to her yet. Some people take a bit to understand her, but when they do, she skyrockets up their favorites list :D

• Brohoof 2

Well, that will not avert that new ones will pop up...  :muffins:

Rares seems just too complex for some people. They cannot wrap their head around her character.

I used to be one of those people! Until I saw the light, I couldn't stand Rarity! Now however, she top of my list, and to be honest, probably the reason why I'm still in the fandom!

• Brohoof 3

Even though he posed an innocent question ,  I'm angry at school for keeping me away from my computer to provide a more in depth response.

I'm always willing to help in this situation :D He meant no harm,  he just hasn't warmed up to her yet. Some people take a bit to understand her, but when they do, she skyrockets up their favorites list :D

Despite being in this fandom since its inception on /co/, I still cannot rate marshmallow very high on my favorites list.

You have to go to school? But it's Easter Monday! Is it not a public holiday in the States?

The best thing of all about Rarity is the fact that she shows us all that mistakes aren't an unusual happening in life. It's about learning from them, and as Raritys element of generosity shows us quite often, sacrifices need to be made every now and then. She is a beautiful character, only way I really know how to put it. Shes talented, she has a great singing voice, and she is all in all a great friend, yeah she may get caught up in her dreams from time to time, but she never forgets that her friends are a big part of them, and when she stood up for them, it warmed my heart, and it she showed me that she truly understands the importance of friendship, and there are a lot of lessons that can be taken away, from even somepony my age in that respect. Your real friends count, and there is nothing in this world worth trading them for, remember the ones who helped you get to where you are and supported you all a long! Rarity knows who they are.

• Brohoof 5

Despite being in this fandom since its inception on /co/, I still cannot rate marshmallow very high on my favorites list.

And why is that? What keeps her bogged down on your favorites list?

You have to go to school? But it's Easter Monday! Is it not a public holiday in the States?

Yeahh -_-

• Brohoof 1

Exactly. If someone don't even want to give her a chance, then nothing is going to change it, no matter what we'll write here. 

Which is a sad thing, seeing that this attitude is completely incompatible with the message of the show.

I used to be one of those people! Until I saw the light, I couldn't stand Rarity! Now however, she top of my list, and to be honest, probably the reason why I'm still in the fandom!

I found your newfound love for Rarity inspiring, to be completely honest. :yay:

• Brohoof 6

Mhmmm. He used to be one of her biggest haters :D He's one of the top posters in the fan club now :yay:

Posting from mobile is hard...I keep making grammatical errors. 

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

True. I like all of Main 6 even Flutters, though she's my least favorite. On the other hand, I have good personal reasons to not be a big fan of her and I tried to give her a chance. Actually, my problem with Shy is completely opposite of the problem in this topic - I understand Fluttershy's character too good. For me she's a reminder of mistakes I made in the past. But still, I don't hate her and I still hope that in the future there'll be an episode able to change my mind and like her more.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 1

Because she is one of the most complex and interesting characters in the show? Because her creative ambitions resonate with many people? Because she is really entertaining?

A character doesn't have to be perfect, in fact "pure" characters tend to be rather boring. A character that has noticeable flaws but works to overcome them is far more interesting.

I swear you have to stop following me everywhere mate. xD Anyway,

I don't think of her as complex and interesting because like I said before, all of her episode are pretty much the same. And every moment I hear of a Rarity episode I can clearly tell you pretty much what it will be about. Rarity gets a chance to do something, does some things wrong with her friends. And then realizes she did wrong just to repeat that process all over again in another episode. 

Rarity is a great character IMO. She has a strong sense of beauty and instead of using it to make dresses to show off, she instead uses her gift to make her friends look beautiful. That's why she is the element of generosity  B)

I swear you have to stop following me everywhere mate. xD Anyway,

I don't think of her as complex and interesting because like I said before, all of her episode are pretty much the same. And every moment I hear of a Rarity episode I can clearly tell you pretty much what it will be about. Rarity gets a chance to do something, does some things wrong with her friends. And then realizes she did wrong just to repeat that process all over again in another episode. 

I'm not gonna be touching on the "not interesting and complex part".

But that formula you say applies to Rarity episodes could also be applied to pretty much every episode and plot arc for every character in the show. If you simplify it to that point then it fits many of them.

Lesson Zero? Twilight gets chance to try deal with having no friendship report, does things wrong by hounding her friends for friendship problems and trying to force it, realizes she was wrong when the want it need it spell goes haywire. 

Fall Weather Friends? Applejack and Rainbow Dash get the chance to strive against each other in the race, they do things wrong by getting too competitive and ruining the race for each other, realizes they were wrong when then cross the finish line and see they both lost because of their shenanigans.

Putting Your Hoof Down? Fluttershy is prompted to be more assertive, does things wrong by taking it too far, realizes she's wrong when she ends up hurting them.

Ect, you get the idea.

I'm fine with you not being fond of Rarity, but that specific reason given seemed pretty flimsy. I know for a fact there are plenty of reasons to dislike Rarity that are much more sensible. If you look deep inside yourself and search your heart I'm sure you can find some of that special little hatred inside of you! 

What I'm getting at is I'd like to what specifically about the character herself you don't like...

• Brohoof 1

I'm not gonna be touching on the "not interesting and complex part".

But that formula you say applies to Rarity episodes could also be applied to pretty much every episode and plot arc for every character in the show. If you simplify it to that point then it fits many of them.

Lesson Zero? Twilight gets chance to try deal with having no friendship report, does things wrong by hounding her friends for friendship problems and trying to force it, realizes she was wrong when the want it need it spell goes haywire. 

Fall Weather Friends? Applejack and Rainbow Dash get the chance to strive against each other in the race, they do things wrong by getting too competitive and ruining the race for each other, realizes they were wrong when then cross the finish line and see they both lost because of their shenanigans.

Putting Your Hoof Down? Fluttershy is prompted to be more assertive, does things wrong by taking it too far, realizes she's wrong when she ends up hurting them.

Ect, you get the idea.

I'm fine with you not being fond of Rarity, but that specific reason given seemed pretty flimsy. I know for a fact there are plenty of reasons to dislike Rarity that are much more sensible. If you look deep inside yourself and search your heart I'm sure you can find some of that special little hatred inside of you! 

What I'm getting at is I'd like to what specifically about the character herself you don't like...

It is true that the formula applies to a lot of episodes. But you don't notice it as much in other episodes, where with Rarity its all about her getting fame or having a crush on someone. 

Okay so here is something deeper from my heart: She is a total sellout that keeps abandoning her friends for fame or something just to later realize she did wrong and then forget everything she did in the next episode and repeat everything just in a different situation. She never learns. And the way she treated Applejack and the whole situation( in the episode with the reporter guy). She is an egoist. 

Okay now I feel like that does not solve much but it is a bit more descriptive right? 

Edited by Lowca21

Okay so here is something deeper from my heart: She is a totally sellout that keeps abandoning her friends for fame or something just to later realize she did wrong and then forget everything she did in the next episode and repeat everything just in a different situation. 

And when did she ever abandon her friends?

• Brohoof 1

Rarity is my 3rd favorite of the main characters. Even though she isn't my 1st, I find her absolutely hilarious. Her tantrums and over dramatic fits always make me laugh.

Not only do I find her funny, I also just like her as a character. I can relate to her in the sense of looking cute all the time. I always wear cute outfits when I go out, even if I'm just shopping :)

And when did she ever abandon her friends?

I guess the word abandons does not fit there now does it. But here is what I ment.

Rarity Takes Manehatan: Uses them as a cheap workforce.

Look Before You Sleep:  Racism towards Applejack. 

Green Isn't your color: Jealous of Fluttershy and is mean. 

Sweet and Elite: Must I explain how she wronged her friends here?

Simple ways: Racism and sterotypism(is that even a word?) towards the working class and blaming Applejack for something she clearly didn't do. 

Sisterhooves Social: Mean to Sweetie Belle, no way I can forgive that. 

There are a few exceptions like Suited for Success and A Dog And Pony Show. 

Edited by Lowca21

How have I not posted in this topic yet? :lol:

Though most of what I could say has likely been said already here's how it is: Rarity is a confident, beautiful go-getter who knows what she wants out of life and goes to great lengths to get those things. People love a confident person and she is probably the most confident of all the main characters except maybe Rainbow Dash.

As it goes, Fluttershy is the exact opposite of that. I don't think there's a specific duality of "people who like Rarity, hate Fluttershy" but it stands to reason that those who like Rarity for such qualities won't think much of Fluttershy because she isn't that. That isn't to say that Fluttershy should have to be like Rarity to be attractive, however, and that's just one possible reason why a Rarity lover might not think much of Fluttershy. This applies to Fluttershy fans as well though. There are a lot of people who think Rarity a stuck-up snob because she can be very pushy and prissy.

• Brohoof 3

I guess the word abandons does not fit there now does it. But here is what I ment.

Rarity Takes Manehatan: Uses them as a cheap workforce.

Look Before You Sleep:  Racism towards Applejack. 

Green Isn't your color: Jealous of Fluttershy and is mean. 

Sweet and Elite: Must I explain how she wronged her friends here?

Simple ways: Racism and sterotypism(is that even a word?) towards the working class and blaming Applejack for something she clearly didn't do. 

If you use the word abandon you should know what it means.

Rarity takes Manehatten: She was like that because she felt betrayed and thought her generosity had no meaning. She did wrong here, but it was a completely understandable reaction. If such behavior makes you hate someone i guess you do not have many friends. Have you never let out your wrath on a friend and felt bad afterwards?

Look before you Sleep: Examples for racism?

Green isn't your Colour: She was jealous, but she did not act that way to Fluttershy, she even helped her. Rarity did not a single mean thing in this episode.

Sweet and Elite: Please do. Im stupid.

Simple ways: Examples for racism? Rarity was not trying to make Applejack look bad. She tried to impress Trenderhoof. At first she just did the things Applejack did, but with her own elegant spin to it. Later she got more and more desperate and that shows in her acting. She wanted to be better than Applejack at being country, not offend her. Only later when Applejewel showed up things got heated.

Edit: Oh god... She was mean to Sweetie Belle and you can never forgive her for that... Well, Sweetie could. And it's not like Sweetie was a little innocent angel in this episode... You also seem to forget what big sacrifice she did to make things right with Sweetie, Sweetie did nothing to set things right, but she still was partially to blame for their conflict.

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 2

It is true that the formula applies to a lot of episodes. But you don't notice it as much in other episodes, where with Rarity its all about her getting fame or having a crush on someone. 

Okay so here is something deeper from my heart: She is a total sellout that keeps abandoning her friends for fame or something just to later realize she did wrong and then forget everything she did in the next episode and repeat everything just in a different situation. She never learns. And the way she treated Applejack and the whole situation( in the episode with the reporter guy). She is an egoist. 

Okay now I feel like that does not solve much but it is a bit more descriptive right? 

Uhm... no?

You can say exactly the same thing about ALL of them,

Fluttershy's episodes? Shyness and trying to be more assertive/brave.

Rainbow? Loyalty, Wonderbolts, flying.

AJ? Family, responsibilities.

Pinkie Pie? Friends, making others happy.

Etc.

But still, people are able to like them, love them and relate to them. Why? Because yes, these things are parts of their lives, important parts, you can't have Fluttershy without her shyness, just like you can't have RD without flying. But there's SO MUCH MORE than that! It's just like trying to define AJ only by her farm and family. These things are important for her and will always be part of her life, but she's much more complicated character. But you can see it only if you want, only if you try. Episodes about these characters might have similar topics, but morals, lessons are different and with every episode they learn something new and unique.

You can't take fashion or dream about being popular away from Rarity, because it won't be Rarity anymore. Besides, there's nothing wrong in love for fashion. And it's natural that an artist wants to be popular. All her dresses are made with love, it probably took years to become so good in it, she should be proud of her job and her dreams. And jealousy? Pride? It's part of being an creator. I deal with things like that, too, but just like Rarity, I always make a good decision, when it comes to important things, like family, friends and even my own happiness. Rarity has some kind of "dark side" (I'm sure you too have something like that), but her heart is good. 

• Brohoof 3

Uhm... no?

You can say exactly the same thing about ALL of them,

Fluttershy's episodes? Shyness and trying to be more assertive/brave.

Rainbow? Loyalty, Wonderbolts, flying.

AJ? Family, responsibilities.

Pinkie Pie? Friends, making others happy.

Etc.

But still, people are able to like them, love them and relate to them. Why? Because yes, these things are parts of their lives, important parts, you can't have Fluttershy without her shyness, just like you can't have RD without flying. But there's SO MUCH MORE than that! It's just like trying to define AJ only by her farm and family. These things are important for her and will always be part of her life, but she's much more complicated character. But you can see it only if you want, only if you try. Episodes about these characters might have similar topics, but morals, lessons are different and with every episode they learn something new and unique.

You can't take fashion or dream about being popular away from Rarity, because it won't be Rarity anymore. Besides, there's nothing wrong in love for fashion. And it's natural that an artist wants to be popular. All her dresses are made with love, it probably took years to become so good in it, she should be proud of her job and her dreams. And jealousy? Pride? It's part of being an creator. I deal with things like that, too, but just like Rarity, I always make a good decision, when it comes to important things, like family, friends and even my own happiness. Rarity has some kind of "dark side" (I'm sure you too have something like that), but her heart is good. 

Okay, fine. You got some really good points and this does change my point of view on Rarity a bit. You win. Same goes to you Obsidian Sky if you are reading this. 

Edited by Lowca21
  • Brohoof 1