Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everyone love Rarity so much?

Not_Human_

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

I guess the word abandons does not fit there now does it. But here is what I ment.

Rarity Takes Manehatan: Uses them as a cheap workforce.

Look Before You Sleep:  Racism towards Applejack. 

Green Isn't your color: Jealous of Fluttershy and is mean. 

Sweet and Elite: Must I explain how she wronged her friends here?

Simple ways: Racism and sterotypism(is that even a word?) towards the working class and blaming Applejack for something she clearly didn't do. 

Sisterhooves Social: Mean to Sweetie Belle, no way I can forgive that. 

There are a few exceptions like Suited for Success and A Dog And Pony Show. 

RTM: As stated above by Obsidian Sky, she felt used and fooled. She spent a lot of time, trying to prepare her projects and make her friends happy and then someone destroys all her work and she can do nothing about it. How would YOU feel? I was once accused of plagiarism, even though I never did such a thing. It was just because some other photographer didn't like me. I felt very bad and to this day I don't like to think about this incident, because it's just too painful. Her friends promised Rarity to help her, so she was counting on them. She didn't want to yell at them, it happened only because she was very nervous and didn't have enough time. 

LBYS: Racism? It's definitely too strong word. She lives in a town of earth ponies and two of her closest friends are earth ponies and farmers. Rarity and AJ are different. It's a fact. They like different things. Their priorities are different. Their dreams are different. It's like me trying to talk with someone from Japan. I don't know this language, I don't understand this culture. I even don't want to, because... well, actually, why should I? It's normal that we usually spend time with people, who are similar to us.

GIYC: When was Rarity mean? Jealousy is a normal thing. I won't believe, if you tell me that you never felt jealous. And yet, Rares was still able to put her jealousy aside, because she wanted Fluttershy to be happy. I'd be jealous, if my friend get something what I really wanted. But I'd also be happy for my friend, because it's what friends do.

SW: Rarity respects Applejack and people in love do stupid things. She didn't want to offend AJ, she wanted to get the stallion she wanted. She wasn't aware of how her actions looked from outside. She apologized when she snapped out of it.

SS: Yeah, because Sweetie Belle was without fault. Yeah. Siblings argue. It's completely normal. It's what sisters do. My sister hated me for sometime, but now we're good friends. 

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 2

On the note of Rarity choosing fame over relations: I don't like how people condemn her for this. Rarity is quite obviously a career woman. It goes along with the confident go-getter attitude she has. She also happens to be a hopeless romantic, likely because she's always so wrapped up in her work that she doesn't get the freedom of personal time and romance can get in the way of her work so she dreams of romance while doing what really matters to her. She's shown to be level-headed enough to not let her fantasies ruin her life's work.

Though it's true that putting your career before your friends can put a strain on relationships it's hardly a bad thing for her to be that way. I don't give a rat's ass what the theme of the show is, Rarity not being so gung-ho about friendship as some of the other ponies won't make her a bad character. The fact that she is a little more out of touch with the "friendship is magic" business gives her a little more freedom as a character than others.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

Sorry, I was writing my previous, while you posted this comment:

Okay, fine. You got some really good points and this does change my point of view on Rarity a bit. You win. Same goes to you Obsidian Sky if you are reading this. 

Good to hear :) Seriously, all of these characters are good, you just need to give them a chance. And actually think about them, forgeting for a while about the first impression.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 3

Okay, fine. You got some really good points and this does change my point of view on Rarity a bit. You win. Same goes to you Obsidian Sky if you are reading this. 

You know, i did not like Rainbow Dash very much for the first two seasons. I did not hate her, but i had also no love for her. She was everything i was not, i thought.

With season three that changed, i liked how she was portrayed in Wonderbolt Academy or Sleepless in Ponyville for example. So when i rewatched season one and two i saw her in a different light. It was not how Rainbow was, how i saw her was the problem. I saw suddenly good things on her character that i never noticed before. i looked back and saw her good side, which i never saw before because i was biased.

I was unfair to her before, i know this now. Now she is actually on place three of my favorite list, together with Twi.

Maybe you will learn to see Rares in a different light too. And if not, you at least tried.

Everyone deserves a second chance after all.

• Brohoof 5

Good to hear :) Seriosly, all of these characters are good, you just need to give them a chance. And actually think about them, forgeting for a while about the first impression.

, I hope you see Aniwele's post I quoted, because none of the mane 6 are unlikable characters, people only make them unlikable by focusing on their negatives, as evidenced by this topic.

They all have flaws, and they all have different interests; however, you're not getting the full experience of FiM when you form an opinion based off of the flaws you see in one's character and how you don't really relate to them rather than who they are as a character. While I do relate to Rarity in many ways, a good portion of her fanbase doesn't; they did, however, view her with an open mind and didn't write her off as some "Snotty fashionista" and let that misinterpretation fester inside of them, leading to a hive of negativity towards an undeserving marshmallow hued-horse.

When people do things like write off a character, it prevents them from fully enjoying the show, so to speak; Rarity will have roles, and if you don't give her a chance like you give the rest just because she's more feminine or whatever it may be, tell me, ARE you getting all of the fun that is Friendship is Magic? There's 6 Elements of Harmony: Generosity, Honesty, Kindness, Magic, Laughter, and Loyalty; in my personal interpretation, that's supposed to be the 6 things you can find in a perfect friend. (Well, 5 + Magic, in a literal sense :D )

If you take one of those things out, you're missing a piece of the puzzle, and by only getting knee-deep into Rarity's character and looking at the superficial aspects of the fabulous fashionista, you're missing a piece to a different puzzle; the puzzle that is the show itself. Same goes for all of the mane 6.

I'm glad you're having a change of heart about her :D Once you give her a chance to shine and see how beautiful of a mare she truly is, then she'll soar up your favorites list, as she usually does in most cases once people stop looking at her in black and white and see the full color portrait :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 8

:neck click: Here we go...

Queen Rarity, also known as Lady Ra-ra, and going by the name Rarity Belle, is the PERFECT example of the "old guard" of femine behavior. She is beloved by some for this throw back to what females of our species used to act like, think like, and in general be. She is attractive to many males for this very reason, this pure stereotype of what a female IS. She is gentle, loving, and would give her own mane to warm you. Motherly, yet full of Sas (thanks pinkie...) she is quick witted, wise, and ego driven. Her actions are always for another, even if they often take the path of coming from HER acts. She is self employeed which many modern females respect and envy and the modern male is quick to lean upoun. So while a throw back to the ways of grace, elegance and splender, she can also cross breed with modern times and "whats cool".

So right now, your either throwing your tooth brush in the sink and spitting something like "Rarity isnt just ah girly girl! you noob!"...and your right! She is also a SISTER, who has a current, seen and active family on screen. Many a Brony relate and belove the Mane6 who have this trait (AJ,Rarity even Twilight) because they themselves have familys of there own, or are just coming out of youth and are still bound to there current family. Raritys interaction with SB is heralded as some of the best Sister/sister communcation and actions in ANY animated series.

For the mid rangers, who still are seeking there own family and those that are out of the shadow of there old one, Rarity represents a female thats "got it all". Looks, brains, and social status.

But enough of all that drewling. Lets get to the meat of why we really love her! Now I should preface with the fact that I am a table top Roleplayer and have been a part of this artform for nearly 20 years. When you Roleplay, if you make a "perfect" character, sure they have a great inital run, but die off quickly in the minds of your ring mates. What makes a truely loved and recalled character is its flaws. Rarity is FULL fo flaws, in fact, as many haters have pointed out, she has far more flaws then perks. And THIS-IS-WHY we love her. We see OURSELVES in her.

-Rarity can lie

-Rarity can be rude

-Rarity will break a bond

-Rarity is loud

-Rarity is annoying

-Rarity is ego driven

-Rarity is a "mirror twitcher"

-Rarity can be/is a villianess type (read the comic, before you flame)

-Rarity is "broken" socially, she can obsesse and she can drewl bait over other ponies

So lets look at this list, not much for a heroine is it? If you said "No Jock" then your WRONG, this is exactly the type of character trait list we NEED in a Heroine. You can look at that list and find yourself and if you can't, well, lieing is right at the top!

When you combine her flaws, with her perks, and finally with the sheer femine wilds, graces, and fast dieing female like fashions (see what I did there?) in our modern society, you can see why so many Bronys grab for Rarity, like a life preserver. She is a VERY skillfully written character, with more depth and direction that can lead in many, many directions (unlike a few others of the more narrowly directed mane6).

Raritys character is like a sucker, you can spend an hour eating it, or you can just crack down in the first bite, whatever gives you more pleasure...and who doesnt love a sucker?

• Brohoof 1

Just because people like one pony doesn't mean they hate another. 

Someone who likes Rarity of Rainbow Dash might not like Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy because the first two have different personalities than the second two. This is not always the case, however.

Rarity is FULL fo flaws, in fact, as many haters have pointed out, she has far more flaws then perks. 

I can't really agree with you on this, sure she has some very prominent flaws, but does she have more flaws than virtues? I say no. You make it sound like she is a bitch and her fans would like her because of that. She is a realistic, flawed character, but these flaws are not overwhelming like with Diamond Tiara, for example. In my opinion her good side is way stronger than her bad side.

Just because people like one pony doesn't mean they hate another. 

Someone who likes Rarity of Rainbow Dash might not like Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy because the first two have different personalities than the second two. This is not always the case, however.

Oh, there are more than enough people that REALLY hate Rarity.