Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hi, new song, please give me your opinion. :)

Hello, after a long time, i finally made a song...well...tried anyway, this is the song here:

link: 

genre: Not really sure...please say in the comments thanks.

Well any opinion is appreciated as always. anyway thank you for checking it out.

Sounds sad :(

but it is a realy nice song :)

maybe you could have been a little more creative with the drums at some points

it's also a bit too simple altogether

and you should have let the end ring out more

but it's a job well done :)

for the genre:

sounds soundtrackish to me...

it's not all orchestral, also without a guitar, it couln't be post-rock either

I think this is mixed pretty well, everything sounds pretty much in the right place and the drums are still there but not overpowering. Also, just the perfect amount of reverb. It does sound you're using a little too much compression though. And the ride cymbal is too loud and overpowering on the intro. And it could use a bit more diversity on the drums, maybe add some fills. Also, it just cuts off on the end, it would sound better if it faded out rather than ending suddenly

Edited by EndtheRaven
  • Brohoof 1

The sound cuting off at the end is fl's fault, it for some weird reason cut it right at the end. I tried fixing it, but fl kept crashing so i just went with it not wanting to lose everything....again

The sound cuting off at the end is fl's fault, it for some weird reason cut it right at the end. I tried fixing it, but fl kept crashing so i just went with it not wanting to lose everything....again

Can I ask what you did for your channel processing and mastering? it almost sounds a bit overcompressed or something, it's hard to tell from youtube quality though. 

Can I ask what you did for your channel processing and mastering? it almost sounds a bit overcompressed or something, it's hard to tell from youtube quality though. 

Well..this is where you got me, and i am hugely embarassed to admit but...i have no idea what you mean...overcompressed?....ah crap...-.-....

please dont laugh at me for my idiocy

Edited by Guest

Well..this is where you got me, and i am hugely embarassed to admit but...i have no idea what you mean...overcompressed?....ah crap...-.-....

Haha, it's alright. I'm guessing you didn't really use any compression then since you don't know what it is. But, just make sure none of your levels are clipping, and rather than trying to make everything sound loud from the start, it's better to get your levels right where you want them at first, And bring the overall volume back up with a limiter in your master channel with the ceiling set at -.3db, but don't use too much, just add a little gain, you want the limiter just to where it's barely biting in, you should only see a tiny bit of peak reduction. 

• Brohoof 1

It's an ok song. 

Number one problem here is there's TOO MUCH REPETITION. It needs more variance (how can I stress this more). Plus, I think that the percussion takes away from that "Banished" feel, the feel of sadness. It adds unnecessary groove. Maybe only leave some light cymbal taps and rolls, which I feel would give it the proper feel it needs. Also, the piano is a bit dry. You could've added some chorus with the depth increased to give it that watery feel to it. Reverb could've also been used to give it some space, which it is lacking. 

The strings are bugging me a bit because they sound a little MIDI-ish, which unfortunately, isn't good. Tweak those strings a bit, increase the high end of them, uncompress them. Also, a very slow flanger or phaser would work here. 

There are many things that this piece could be improved. 

4.5/10

It's an ok song. 

Number one problem here is there's TOO MUCH REPETITION. It needs more variance (how can I stress this more). Plus, I think that the percussion takes away from that "Banished" feel, the feel of sadness. It adds unnecessary groove. Maybe only leave some light cymbal taps and rolls, which I feel would give it the proper feel it needs. Also, the piano is a bit dry. You could've added some chorus with the depth increased to give it that watery feel to it. Reverb could've also been used to give it some space, which it is lacking. 

The strings are bugging me a bit because they sound a little MIDI-ish, which unfortunately, isn't good. Tweak those strings a bit, increase the high end of them, uncompress them. Also, a very slow flanger or phaser would work here. 

There are many things that this piece could be improved. 

4.5/10

Hmmm, i see,....well...better luck next time. Bloody repetition -.-, just shows my lack of imagination.

Edited by Guest

So I'm in no way shape or form a composer. 

I think the groove with the drums actually works, but you need a build up to it.  It's not like this tune is totally orchestral or anything, it can defiantly work.  Then again, I'm a drummer, so I'm obviously totally for groove!  Like you had the start kinda right with the cymbal taps, but that should have gone on for more than 4 bars and been quieter.  You also should have started with at the most cymbal rolls at the end of an 8 bar phrase.   Move into non accented cymbal tap on edge of the ride just on 1 and 3,  every 8 bars build that up by throwing in some extra notes (1 & 2 , 3 & 4) THEN do a small fill into the groove, but start the groove quieter (Rim clicks, light ride work, flutter the bass drum) and slowly build that up until the song climaxes, then after the climax go back to your cymbal shots on 1 and 3.  I don't know, something like that.  Keep it simple, but don't forget that the drums are aslo a very musical instrument and need love and care to! 

I do like this, it makes me feel sad, so it's defiantly doing something right dude!

The song is repetitive, but that can be fixed by shortening the song (It's song does not need to be 4 minutes long), or by working on it more.

Edited by Deesinn
  • Brohoof 1

So I'm in no way shape or form a composer. 

I think the groove with the drums actually works, but you need a build up to it.  It's not like this tune is totally orchestral or anything, it can defiantly work.  Then again, I'm a drummer, so I'm obviously totally for groove!  Like you had the start kinda right with the cymbal taps, but that should have gone on for more than 4 bars and been quieter.  You also should have started with at the most cymbal rolls at the end of an 8 bar phrase.   Move into non accented cymbal tap on edge of the ride just on 1 and 3,  every 8 bars build that up by throwing in some extra notes (1 & 2 , 3 & 4) THEN do a small fill into the groove, but start the groove quieter (Rim clicks, light ride work, flutter the bass drum) and slowly build that up until the song climaxes, then after the climax go back to your cymbal shots on 1 and 3.  I don't know, something like that.  Keep it simple, but don't forget that the drums are aslo a very musical instrument and need love and care to! 

I do like this, it makes me feel sad, so it's defiantly doing something right dude!

The song is repetitive, but that can be fixed by shortening the song (It's song does not need to be 4 minutes long), or by working on it more.

Yeah, repetitivnes is a problem with me <.<, need to fix it. I am by no means a drummer XD, but i am a bassist, guitarist and keyboardist, and i appreciate your advice, will take it into consideration. Thanks :)

Not much to say, other than what has already been said. A change in the chord pogression would have helped your song alot. Also the ending could use a few seconds of dead space where nothing is playing. Right now, the ending feels pretty abrupt.

Not to go against what everyone else has been saying but I loved it. The piano notes were good and drums were slow but it all fit the overall feel of the song which I'm guessing is sad because that is the way it made me feel which was great. I believe it is just the right amount of length. Any shorter and it would have been too short. It was a beautiful song. reminded me of when my friend plays the piano.