Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2014 Sochi Olympics

Freeze-Frame

I know not really many here are interested in sports, but who doesn't love the Olympics.  I've been a fan since the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics.

So anyway, the Sochi Winter Olympics start today, and I want to know what's everypony's favorite event, or what are y'all waiting for the most?

Personally, I'll watch any event, but I'm not really interested figure skating or any stylistic-based event. What I'm really excited for is Hockey, but what p*sses me off is that Jimmy Howard is our goalie.  He hasn't been doing great this season and led The Red Wings to a lot of losses, usually in overtime.  What I'm really excited for is Freestyle Skiing, which is actually a new event.  It just looks like it takes a lot of skill and looks awesome.  Also, the Toboggan and Skeleton are also pretty cool.  

So what are y'all excited for?

post-23514-0-53165400-1391734848_thumb.png

• Brohoof 5

I got hooked on the Olympics because of figure skating. My favorites are figure skating and ice dancing, though I suppose the skiing is okay.

I enjoy figure skating myself and hope to perhaps skate in the Olympics someday, if it doesn't get in the way of my dream career.

• Brohoof 6

I normally don't watch the Olympics, as I was never really into sports. I may watch the Winter Olympics this year though, just because I can.

Anyways I hope everything goes good during the games. I hope those crazy Radical Islamists don't try to screw the Olympics up. I'm sure they will, but I'm also sure that Russia is doing everything in its power to prevent something bad from happening.

I look forward to it, I have to doubt it will be a great competition. 

I also have faith in the security.

40,000 Federal Secuirty Service (FSB), Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) , and Regular Army troops for security force.

Couldn't help myself

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't miss it for anything a! I've been a huge fan of the Olympics since 2004! And the Winter Olympics since 2010... I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm actually really into curling xD maybe it's just because I found it amusing watching my team and hearing what they said xD

I also like any of the ice skating events, figure skating or speed skating that is... And skiing events and any of the ice chute type events like bobsleigh or skeleton or luge... I also like those triathlon things :) yeah....

• Brohoof 1

I dont really care for the Olympics much to be honest with you. 

I mean I'll root for an athlete if they appeal to me but, for the most part I think its kind of boring...

I don't watch it that much, I mean I'm not THAT enthusiastic. But it's still interesting to watch. In my opinion I think the summer Olympics are better, if think that only probably because I like more sports in that. But anyways my favourite sport is probably downhill skiing. Probably because I do it myself.

I like to watch a good mix of events. Sometimes I'm in the mood for figure skating, other times I'm in the mood for (women's) hockey.

Not so sure how I feel about it being held in Sochi though. It probably wouldv'e been better to hold the Olympics in a slightly... less dangerous city.

I love hockey, figure skating, and snowboarding.

They really made Sochi look beautiful for the Olympics. If this goes off without a hitch, Putin should get a lot of credit. He may be a jerk, but he's given Russia a reason to feel proud.

Hockey and snowboarding are going to be the main two i'll be watching. Rooting for USA in all events.

btw im pretty sure Howard is not our goalie. He's definitely third behind Miller and Quick so no worries

I decided not to watch the 2014 Winter Olympics, not because I hate it, but because Puerto Rico's Olympic Committee's refusal entry to that one athlete to compete made me detest them greatly.  I'll just wait until the next Winter Olympic games and right up until the IOC sees this and gives them a harsh warning for their constant refusal entries...

I'll bet it was pretty embarrasing for the person in charge of lighting up the olympic rings, since the fifth ring didn't open up; leaving only 4 out of 5 rings. Oops!

The four rings still looked really pretty though, and I'm enjoying the opening ceremony so far. I'm really starting to look forward to the events!

• Brohoof 1

Fucking useless waste of money to our taxpayers. They built a Paradise in the mountains where there is no place for those who have an average income level. Hate them, hate all of them!

Same was in Moscow in 1980. They was forcibly deported all children from the city, so they are not begging for foreigners food. It could harm the country's image. Maybe it was a great celebration of sport and peace, but not for thousands hungry children's, who didn't even saw this games.

Watching the olympics for slopestyle, ski jumping, biathalon, speed skating.

Honestly I'm quite surprised to hear the advocate of slopestyle, Shawn White, isn't even going to participate in it (much to everyone's surprise)

Ski Jumping is awesome when you see it. Those guys touch death everytime.

Biathalon is really fun to watch guys who shoot a rifle after doing some skiing.

And Speed skating is a race.

• Brohoof 1

I really hate the idea of putting a damper on a celebration of athletics, but I have to admit all my thoughts about these events twist in a political way - it's not just Sochi, but a number of the participating countries end up playing games of bribes and corruption with the International Olympic Committee - the committee itself not being a great organization. Plus, sadly as a "cable-cutter" I doubt I have any way of watching this one. *Sigh*...maybe I just read too many articles.

• Brohoof 1

I'm more in the Olympics if there is an American in the event. I don't if he or she is white, black, gay, stright, or whatever.. if they are on Team America, ill cheer for them!

• Brohoof 1