Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2014 Sochi Olympics

Freeze-Frame

Skiing - that's what I like. Both - watching and skiing myself.

Hockey, of cause, will cheer for our team :)

And maybe figure skating (since it's impotant for my country) / biatlon (just want sometimes :) )

Generally, it's a bad sign when a country has to spend billions to put on a show. It's the same reason the Soviets paraded missiles and thousands of goose stepping soldiers through Red Square during the cold war. The bad guys always have to put on elaborate performances. Also, it's just like Russia to rush the process and screw things up left and right.

All that being said though, I absolutely loved the opening ceremony. It's definitely the best I've ever seen. In all, I'm looking forward to the events. More than anything, I want to see the US kick some ass in their ridiculous Christmas sweaters heheh. I watched Miracle again to get myself pumped up too.

The opening ceremony has been breathtaking so far. Ballet, Tolstoy, history, and flying girls so far all in the same event. It's pretty amazing so far.

What did you enjoy more? The abstract "Dream" show or the historical ballet? It's too bad though about that 5th ring that didn't open. Leave it to the internet to overlook all the amazing choreography and focus on that one mistake.

My god, those Russians. Did you guys see Yulia Lipnitskaya's skate in the team skate event?It was completely flawless. If they keep this up, they'll win the event for sure.

• Brohoof 1

Did anybody else hear the snippet of the Trololo Song near the end of the Opening Ceremony act? In the close before Putin made the opening announcement? And speaking of Putin, I can't believe he's having the dogs euthanized so they're not a nuisance. That makes me so angry and sad because I find the strays kinda cute! The games thusfar may have been very impressive, the PR however has been less so.

Anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGc5EmOXxc

WHOOO! GO PHILIPPINES! I absolutely LOVE figure skating! I'm trying my best to get up there! :D

I'm actually rooting for USA, but I care more about great competition. I hope all countries show off their skills in all events.

• Brohoof 3

I'm actually rooting for USA, but I care more about great competition. I hope all countries show off their skills in all events.

I agree, I even cheer for those that only have 1 or 2 people representing their nation. You're out there sometimes not to win a medal, but to have that Olympic Experience.

• Brohoof 3

I honestly didn't know it was happening till the day before the Opening Ceremonies. It was a pleasant surprise. ^_^

I don't have a favorite sport in the Winter Olympics, persay, but so far, I've seen one skiing event, and it looked epic. So I'm looking forward to seeing more of everything.

My favorite thing about the Olympics is the fact that all of these countries come together to compete in sports, and we all have fun together. :D

So I just watched the 5000 meter ice skating track. I'm dutch, and the dutch hattrick was very exciting for me. But my excitement was quickly destroyed when I realised this didn't mean Holland was exceptionally good at Ice skating, it meant that no other country takes Ice skating very seriously as a sport... This was even more clear to me when the entire audience except the dutch people had left the stadium when the 3 dutch men got their medals. It is really ridiculous! What do you guys think, why the hell would holland win all the medals! Is there really no competition or are we just really good (I keep saying 'we', while its actually the sportsmen, so just ignore that. It's something dutch people tend to do a lot.)

Sven Kramer (the dutch gold winner) broke the olympian record, that he held himself. What the crap... I am really just sad now that we seem to be the only ones that take this sport seriously as a country.

Edited by Scribblegroove

Even though I'm American, when they played Mark McMorris' (Canadian) backstory for the Slopestyle event, it made me want to root for him. I'm glad his second performance in the qualifying rounds was better than his first (he fell, it was sad).

So I just watched the 5000 meter ice skating track. I'm dutch, and the dutch hattrick was very exciting for me. But my excitement was quickly destroyed when I realised this didn't mean Holland was exceptionally good at Ice skating, it meant that no other country takes Ice skating very seriously as a sport... This was even more clear to me when the entire audience except the dutch people had left the stadium when the 3 dutch men got their medals. It is really ridiculous! What do you guys think, why the hell would holland win all the medals! Is there really no competition or are we just really good (I keep saying 'we', while its actually the sportsmen, so just ignore that. It's something dutch people tend to do a lot.)

Sven Kramer (the dutch gold winner) broke the olympian record, that he held himself. What the crap... I am really just sad now that we seem to be the only ones that take this sport seriously as a country.

Well, you guys put up a hell of a fight. I was shocked at the Dutch too when they won all those metals. They definitely deserve it.

Generally, it's a bad sign when a country has to spend billions to put on a show. It's the same reason the Soviets paraded missiles and thousands of goose stepping soldiers through Red Square during the cold war. The bad guys always have to put on elaborate performances. Also, it's just like Russia to rush the process and screw things up left and right.

All that being said though, I absolutely loved the opening ceremony. It's definitely the best I've ever seen. In all, I'm looking forward to the events. More than anything, I want to see the US kick some ass in their ridiculous Christmas sweaters heheh. I watched Miracle again to get myself pumped up too.

What did you enjoy more? The abstract "Dream" show or the historical ballet? It's too bad though about that 5th ring that didn't open. Leave it to the internet to overlook all the amazing choreography and focus on that one mistake.

The Dream show was the most beautiful and Russian feeling of the opening ceremony. But, the ballet was choreographed and designed so wonderfully. I can't decide. I loved that the fifth ring didn't open until later. It felt like the Olympics were almost there but hadn't completely started yet.

The Dream show was the most beautiful and Russian feeling of the opening ceremony. But, the ballet was choreographed and designed so wonderfully. I can't decide. I loved that the fifth ring didn't open until later. It felt like the Olympics were almost there but hadn't completely started yet.

Remember the Soviet/industrialization part of the history show? That part along with the end of the dream show really blew me away. It's too bad about that 5th ring glitch though.

Remember the Soviet/industrialization part of the history show? That part along with the end of the dream show really blew me away. It's too bad about that 5th ring glitch though.

The whole thing blew me away. Did you hear that the little girl who was flying broke her arm and they offered to let her go but she refused and even wants to compete in the Olympics someday?

The whole thing blew me away. Did you hear that the little girl who was flying broke her arm and they offered to let her go but she refused and even wants to compete in the Olympics someday?

I didn't know that. When did she break her arm? Before the ceremony?

I watch the opening ceremony and a few events, but I'm not a huge Olympics fan. That being said, I'll never watch NBC's coverage of the Olympics, as it tends to be dreadful and filled with fluff, not to mention that they cut out important parts of the opening ceremonies (the 7/7/2005 tribute during the London 2012 opening ceremony, and the non-discrimination statement from the IOC during the Sochi opening ceremony,) and add in billions of interviews and irrelevant commentary. I could complain about their online streaming system and their heavy editing of events, but that would take a few more pages. I BBC'd the opening ceremony this time around; it was pleasant and amazing to watch!

Bottom line, it's already difficult for me to enjoy the Olympics, what with the events' scheduling, but add on the fact that we have one of the worst Olympic broadcasters in the developed world, and it lessens my enjoyment of the games.

I am looking forward to the Equestrian Games though!  :)

Edited by skbl17

50 billion dollars to make this happen lol.  :wacko:  I remember that.

I will be watching them probably...I watched them last year, but this year I'm more meh. I'll probably go online and see medals and all that if I don't.

You know what, I will be watching it.

Lets go every country I like.

Edited by TwilightSparkle<3