Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trolling: yay or nay?

Static Electricity

94 users have voted

1. 1. Trolling: yay or nay

• Yay
    • Nay

Exactly what it says on the tin.

I should clarify though, what I mean by trolling: I am not referring to harassers and cyberbullies, I'm referring to people who waste your time and act like a **** on the internet just because they can.

Personally, I love trolling. It's like the internet's natural selection; it either pushes away the noobs or makes them smarter. Also, it's funny as hell.

It's fun to troll people that deserve it, but when you think about it trolling is a desperate way for comedy and to spite someone. Other than that, it's whatever you think of it.

If the trolling doesn't offend or insult anyone, it has to be well executed.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 10

Well-executed trolling, like the Warlizard Gaming Forum troll - elaborate, doesn't hurt anyone, playful - is brilliant, in my opinion. In the end, it's the same as playing a prank, which has been around for centuries.

It's the lazily devised trolls that I hate. The type of people that think saying "ur a dick lol" is equivalent to "trolling". I'm gonna sound like a 4channer here, but trolling is artful.

Edited by Cheese Sandwich
  • Brohoof 12

With the nature of the internet, I say go for it if you want. 

I don't see the problem, because since its online, most sites have "ignore"  or "block" features which can prevent trolling if you get annoyed by it. Or you can simply not read the troll. It can also provide some hilarious entertainment as you said. I don't really troll much at all but It's fine when done in moderation and without causing actual abuse to anyone.

• Brohoof 2

I only ever troll in Video games.

Hardcore on Black Ops 2...EMP grenades can be really fun if you have a teammate that uses bouncing betties...it's even funnier when they keep using them afterwards.....and then they get kicked for team killing. An EMP grenade will destroy the betty, but at the same time it will kill me and anyone near it... other teammates included..and it shows upon the kill feed as the guy placing the betty team killing. 

or in GTA Online. I'll go to the High Priority car Simeon wants and hide a sticky bomb on it. and if/when some one picks it up...ka-booom.

Or I'll park a large vehicle outside of Ammunation or a clothing store and lock the person inside it. You know they give up when they leave the game.

Sometimes I get angry messages...in reply to them I just say "lol u mad?" and I never hear from them again.

• Brohoof 1

Only either if it's harmless and clever, or the target is an asshole and deserves it.

I admit I have strung a couple insufferable assholes(at least one was a racist bigot and would call you everything but a white boy if he perceived you as being liberal in any way) just to show everyone what they are. 

• Brohoof 5

Trolling is ok as in playing funny tricks on people. But sometimes it is plain bad.

For example being afk in a teamwork requiring game isn't really trolling but just being a huge jerk.
Like griefing in a minecraft server. I mean, even if you are going to grief, do it with a bit of style. Burning everything up while no one is online is just plain annoying. 

So the thing is it has to be done cleverly, in an amusing way. Using hacks and killing everyone with one grenade in an fps game is not yay.

• Brohoof 1

There are good trolls, and there are bad trolls. For example, over on the My Little Brony section of Cheezeburger, there is a troll, who, despite trolling an awful lot, knows when to stop. He knows when not to troll. There was a post quite a while back, I don't recall the content, but it included bad news about some one with cancer that Faust knew (I think) and he was incredibly respectful in his post there. After that, he gained massive respect from many other users of the site.

But unfortunately, many trolls do not know when to stop.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much agree with everyone. Trolling is fun, but know your limits. Trolling SHOULDN'T be cyberbullying. It should be clever, and creative... and funny.

Don't be a dick and call it "trolling".

The harmless kind of trolling which is essentially equivalent to pulling off harmless and humorous pranks is a-okay in my opinion. It can even be brilliantly devised and, to me, it is perfectly justifiable when using it to against those idiotic and insolent jerks who rightfully deserve it.

Trolling to belittle and verbally abuse someone is not justifiable however. Harassment is not a joke and when people considering that as just "harmless trolling," that is when it becomes irksome to me.

• Brohoof 2

I am a member of a site with a lot of trolls (Fark.com), so I am generally not in favor of any form of trolling. As far as humor goes, I can be pretty humorous without trolling, and so can many of the funniest people I've known on other sites. If trolling is what someone has to do to be funny, maybe they should just stop trying to be funny. 

• Brohoof 1

Trolling is okay, but only, and ONLY when the person deserves it or you know they will be a good sport about it, examples being when somebody is being super mean and when you're trolling a friend or something.

It is NOT okay when it's a kid or your just doing it desperately for whatever it may be, popularity, YT views, anything. Example being this. That is disgusting.

Otherwise though, I do love a good troll ;)

• Brohoof 2

I believe that if you troll just to make the one directed at and other happy or laugh, than it's okay...as long as it's the good kind of trolling. If your main purpose is to be horribly crude, or just to be mean and harass, than that is a HUGE  no!

I troll sometimes for fun...I really have never did it for awful purposes.

Like griefing in a minecraft server. I mean, even if you are going to grief, do it with a bit of style. Burning everything up while no one is online is just plain annoying.

How about hiding mines beneath the ground throughout a town (tnt + pressure plate)? Or secretly rigging a roller coaster with a trap to destroy the track while people are riding over it?

There was also this one time, this guy had a house with double doors activated by pressure plates. He had a doghouse built just outside, with a tamed wolf seated inside while he was away . While he was off on a mining trip, I wired the pressure plates to TNT under the doghouse. He came back from his trip, moved to head inside...BOOM. Old Yeller, overkill edition.

Then another time, I took all this bakery's cakes and dug a pit in a nearby mine. Laid the cakes out then filled the top of the pit with lava. They eventually found them though...

I should clarify though, what I mean by trolling: I am not referring to harassers and cyberbullies, I'm referring to people who waste your time and act like a **** on the internet just because they can.

I have always seen it as a tool to use against people that have no respect or are just plain jerks.    I know I have been guilty of it a few times, usually against some one that is just spouting out nonsensical hatred or saying going on how everyone that does not agree with them is wrong.  

If you are using it just to be a jerk on line, then no.

Meh, I believe trolling is fine as long as you don't manage to overdo it and it's all in good fun. However, if you go out of your way to make someone feel like shit, you're an asshole. Simple as that, really. 

Yeah its fine as long as you know when you know when you've hit someones limit. I know that most people don't have my outrageously thick skin so I can that I can make racist jokes about my own race and don't find them offensive at all when other people do. So yeah just remember everyone deferent about what they can take.

Trolling can be hilarious, honestly. It's funny to see people get all worked up and feel stupid after they realize you were kidding. Then it all becomes an inside joke of sorts... The only time it's not funny (or extra funny in some cases) is when the person getting trolled gets seriously offended and hates you afterward.

As long as everyone keeps their spirits high, trolling should be nothing but silly laughs after the fact.

• Brohoof 2