Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trolling: yay or nay?

Static Electricity

94 users have voted

1. 1. Trolling: yay or nay

• Yay
    • Nay

People seem to forget something. Trolling is how all the "Bronies are all gay" nonsense actually started. People would troll non-pony sites, say about Japaneses animation, and post the now infamous "Mods asleep: Post Ponies" resulting in the boards being spammed with MLP:FIM pictures. This "Cheesed" off all the other posters, who then started getting really harsh in their responses. That snowballed into the current mindset of:

"Bronies are weird/gay/pedophile/whatever."

• Brohoof 1

At first I find it to be okay, I mean it can be okay up until it's taken too far.

I'm a troll myself at times, but I know when to stop, and not to make someone so upset it harms them.

So, I voted towards No.

I'm cool with light trolling. The ones where you make people think you're an absolute idiot by saying dumb things. But I'm not cool with trolling where the person straight out makes people angry by hurling insults whether directly at them or their interest, giving hurtful statements and making people feel like complete shit and being degraded. Kind of like what some of this fandom receive. And a certain fanboy group who does this.

Edited by Warm Regards

• 5 months later...

Trolling I picture more as a tool than a way to make people mad.

Sure it's meant to make people angry, but some people actually deserve to be trolled.

You know the racist little kids who shout the "n" word as an insult and other racist terms?

I think those types of people deserve to be messed with.

Plus you don't actually have to be mean or even swear to troll someone.

You just have to make them rage by doing something highly annoying.

This is an example of someone trolling a racist little kid:

So what are your thoughts on trolling?

post-25645-0-20384500-1408035482_thumb.jpg

Eh

I guess your right about that

I don't really know my opinion on trolling since it never happened to me

However

I have Trolled a few anti bronies and such, for the obvious reason

I guess if they are assholes they would deserve it

• Brohoof 1

Well it depends on what type of trolling it is. I tend to troll when it seems like it'll be harmless, like when console fanboys are going at it and you throw in a "Titanfall sucks" or something, and the fervent reactions are usually pretty entertaining. I try to make it semi-obvious, and always make it clear I'm trolling by the end, to wrap it up in a way that makes the troll-ee feel silly but not super pissed-off or shitty. Of course if it was a little racist punk like in the video I might make an exception on the "super pissed" part, haha...

The kind of trolling I DON'T utilize or appreciate, however, is when it's about something important. Politics, foreign wars, death (some of the stuff that popped up after Robin Williams' death was horrendous) or any trolling where the purpose is to maliciously break someone down. Even if there was a whiny player in Call of Duty who I thought deserved it, I'd never troll them to the point where they cried or anything like that.

Edited by TenorSounds

Umm it depends if it is more of a joke or not 

as I recall the more joke-type is more or less harmless and even funny if you get the joke

however if it is used to anger or upset people no just no....

• Brohoof 1

For me it depends on the method and intent. It can harmless fun or deplorable bullying. I think a good example of the former is when MA Larson fucks with the fans.

The Forum Games are also an example of good natured staff sanctioned trolling. :)

• Brohoof 3

Trolling is a weapon which I only use in good fun, but to those who deserve it. I don't be a douche about it an troll to hate. I hate those who troll just to hate, but I ignore it. Haters gonna hate~  B)

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer
  • Brohoof 2

@, We have a similar topic on Trolling already so I'm going to combine the two.  In the future please be sure to run a search to make sure there isn't already a topic covering the same subject as yours before you post.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what your definition of trolling is, if you mean acting stupid to piss people off or voice an unpopular opinion solely for the controversy, sure.

When people join forums and imageboards just to dedicate their entire profile to pissing people off, offending them, or generally being a complete asshole, I can't stand it.

Yay. It's funny to see people get angry when I pretend to have an outrageous opinion. Some shit people fall for....

Look up Dillon the Hacker, you have to be really gullible or even stupid to think he's being serious.

Edited by NotoriousSMALL

I only do what I call counter-trolling; Saying something back or retaliating when someone who I feel has been wronged is... Well wronged. For example;

Me and a group of friends were playing League last night. The enemy player was giving my team a hard time, calling them names & what-not. At one point he said "Shut your Jew mouth." & I had had enough of him picking on my team. So I said in all chat; " 'Shut your Jew mouth' says the guy who went 1/12 against me in lane." My entire team flipped out, laughing like mad & telling him off. They didn't know I was a brony till then, but after that they had no qualms about me being a brony, & the enemy team shut up quite fast. The best part was that I carried that game, going 1v3 and living & such, so all I did was say, at the very end of the game; "GGWP, & before you start insulting someone try & be able to beat the guy who likes MLP, ok?"

PS No I am not saying that bronies suck at video games... Just that whenever people hear that kind of stuff they tend to get very mad in League lol

Basically what most have said thus far--fine as long as it's not overdone or bullying.  A little harmless joking is fine.  I don't really troll, but it doesn't bother me if people do a bit.  I mean, it's the internet--one needs to learn how to handle it.  If you can't take a joke and ignore the troublemakers, then you shouldn't really be in public games or message boards, etc, you know?  The only time I do kinda troll occassionally is in games, but it's usually more of a countertroll--you know, teamkilling someone who's being annoying or something.  Nothin' wrong with that once in awhile.  It's all in good fun.

• Brohoof 1

Here's a little bit of a confession - me and a friend used to troll on a certain video game's server FOR YEARS. We had a dynamic IP so we could just log in after we've been banned. We even made a bit of a name for ourselves, not that it matters anymore. Sometimes we would have each other trolled in front of others just so we could make a claim to be the victims and throw off suspicion from ourselves.

We did it because it was funny. To us, anyway. Toying with people's emotions and suspicions. In truth, the only reason it was so hilarious is because we've always coaxed a reaction from the community. It stopped being funny because the community didn't really change, they always gave in. 

That's just the point though, isn't it? Trolls come in with a very clear intent - having their fill of fun. You can either troll them back if you have the means, or outright ignore them, but don't go complaining or raging or what not - you'll just walk right into their trap. Oh, and they won't have second thoughts about milking you for lols if you don't learn from your mistakes.