Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trolling: yay or nay?

Static Electricity

94 users have voted

1. 1. Trolling: yay or nay

• Yay
    • Nay

I don’t take part in trolling but it can sometimes be entertaining to observe if you go about it the right way.

Having been a bit of a troll in the past, I'm more in favour of trolling than against it, as long as it doesn't go as far as messing with someone's life outside the internet. There's an acceptable boundary when it comes to trolling, and going beyond that is just too far.  

My view on this subject has changed significantly from years ago:

Back in the earlier days of the internet, trolling was almost an art and was used mostly to combat stupid people or people who said or did very ignorant things. A lot of the time it was used to make bigots very angry, so in a way it could be used for good. The rest of the time it was innocent chuckles, nothing major. Trolling evolved to a point where anyone could become a target and at the time I was still "okay" with it, because the primary principle of trolling remained the same: act in a way to make others overreact and they then look foolish and then laugh at how foolish they looked.

Fast-forward to today though: trolling is not what it used to be.

Most of the time trolling now is just used to needlessly harass people and what's worse... It's not even "clever" anymore. Used to be that people would act in a way to make others really mad and make them look stupid. Now often times Trolls make themselves look stupid and then go "haha! you thought I was being serious!" Like it doesn't really make sense. It's like "oh wow, I thought you were actually stupid, but now that I know you were merely pretending, boy do I feel dumb!"

Literally modern-day trolling is mostly just used as a shield to hide bigotry/ignorant views or to avoid getting called out on your stupidity.

This image has never been truer:

What_28845c_421828.png

Sorry if this offends anymore, that's not my intention!

4 hours ago, Aurora Wolf said:

Slightly talking trash is okay, but when it comes to trolls who don't even acknowledge the fact that people are tired of them, that's when it's a problem.

I agree

It all depends on context. If someone is being a jerk and deserves it, I’ll mess with them a little bit because it usually makes them shut up. :laugh: Gives me a good laugh sometimes, as well.

That being said, I don’t believe in trolling just for the sake of trolling. That just makes YOU a jerk. And I don’t like it when trolling is taken too far. Bullying is never okay. 

As long as it’s in good fun and it’s directed at someone who truthfully deserves it, I see no problem in it. :) 

I troll only because its impossible to have a calm, mature dialogue about anything anymore. Yes, I could not contribute to the problem. However, I ask you this: am I contributing to the problem, or am i finally getting on board?

Personally, I'm only really a fan of trolling in video games, as long as it's within the context of the video game. Harassing a teammate ingame is alright, but it starts to get into the "yeah okay stop" territory when it goes into real life.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...