Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else disappointed in Trenderhoof?

Forlong

Well, lemme explain to you the problem here.

He was entirely neglectful of Rarity's obvious feelings for him. He didn't even give her the benefit of the doubt, like she ever so often does with Spike. That's wrong. Was nothing but apathetic.

Furthermore, it's easy to credit him as being the one who drove her into acting that way; while Rarity does overreact, she will never go that far at her own will. With this celebrity she was ever so star-struck over completely ignoring her and going on and on about Applejack, one of her closest friends and maybe even her polar opposite, jealousy was afoot.

Regardless, even outside of Rarity he was still awful. He flat out stalked AJ, pushing her to hide inside of a henhouse and even trying to move in with her at one point.

I think he deserved to get some bad mojo in the end, but he didn't; that disappointed me.

This. I of course loved episode to make it clear. But damn, that stallion was so annoying (even if I just laughed at him ;) ). He acted extremely selfish and did not think for a second about how does Rarity feel. Applejack was also sick of him (not suprising, he kept stalking her all the time ><).

(... and I am suprised Spike did not use his chance when Rarity cried tbh XD)

• Brohoof 1

Guys, Trenderhoof was not supposed to be a high class pony.

Hes pretty much a euphoric person, that's interested in nostalgic ideals.

In other words, hes a hipster. The kind of guys that wear big glasses, polo shirts under knit-wool sweaters, and hang out at the local Starbucks. Hes interested in the farm life because of his tendency to be "Different' and "unique." Hes one of those modern day bloggers that are obsessed with vintage things. 

• Brohoof 3

A little too hipster for my liking. For an accomplished travel writer and trend-setter I was hoping for something a bit more world-weary, and a little less 'college yuppie'. Basically a slightly older pony who has seen it all and latches onto the idea of a solid, settled life.

Now that I think about it, what I was looking for was a Fancy Pants variant. Which is a bit unfair of me, I suppose.

• Brohoof 2

I was expecting a little bit from him, which I got, but not too much. This episode is all about first impressions. Rarity's infatuation with him is based on his writing, photos, and what others have said about his work. Trend's own fondness for Applejack was similarly superficial. You don't really get to know a person just from that. Same thing with Rainbow Dash fangirling endlessly over Daring Do.

As an aside, I was hoping Trend would be an earth pony or a pegasus. Instead, they're perpetuating the stereotype that fashion, high society, and wealth in Equestria are all dominated by unicorns.

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 3

He seems like he is pretty one-dimensional, if you ask me. The whole "fanboying/crushing on AJ" was pretty annoying and it was just plain unappealing. I hope that if he ever returns that he gets more character development. Even though he's rather dull, he still has potential to be an interesting character, as do all characters anyways. 

Edited by IHasTwi

I personally hope that he doesn't make any reappearances in future episodes. He seems like a one-sided, hipster-esque character, and from when he first met Rarity, I was not expecting him to take a sudden interest in Applejack and her rustic way of life. It was rather disappointing to me. The way he practically stalked her and tried to move in with her in the end was pathetic. I was expecting him to behave at least in a more urbane-like stratum. So much for that. -_-

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 2

Didn't like him. While he's not a jerk, just like Rarity, he was a gigantic idiot with little to no competence beyond his crush. Combined with the fact that he's a unicorn, his one-dimensional personality perpetuates the stereotype that unicorns are often the ones with the wealth and high class in society.

• Brohoof 2

My expectations of Trenderhoof were quite low, not in that I didn't expect him to be a good guy, but I could tell pretty early on he wouldn't be the focal point of the episode.

I don't have anything to add on him that hasn't been said already, with Wingnut most closely echoing my thoughts. I wouldn't mind seeing a cameo appearance someday now that he's apparently learned his lesson, as Rarity has, and might be able to do something interesting with a future endeavor of hers.

So I don't dislike the guy, but there was nothing about him to draw much more attention from me than a background pony. Please withhold the background Applejack jokes. >_>

• Brohoof 2

To be honest, I find a lot to be ridiculous with portrayals, characters, and dialogue of this season, but as for Trenderhoof, I didn't really think much either. I wasn't really expecting the worst since I didn't exactly attach myself to what he could possible make the characters feel, but I would have to say overall he was substantial at least to bringing a very real problem in friendships and bringing out bad actions in Rarity and Applejack. I think it turned out well with all the replies of dislike for him. He was an antagonist, after all. But nothing much all together.  

Me and a friend had

a good talk on this

last night via chat and such

good things you do

at 2 am in the morning!

Tenderhoof is I called a void

canon just meaning to be for

ep with no real thought

put into him minus a veiw a traits

which in the fanfic world is labled

a "Gary Sue".   I would him in

the math form of a 0 to act

as nothing more than a place or

space holder that is not a positve

or negative!

Meh, I wasn't expecting much out of him, so I can't say I was disappointed

Ya, he was an asspull of a character who's sole purpose was to be a love interest/be romantically interested with another character, so ya, it didn't exactly surprise me that he turned out to be lacking in the luster department.

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 1

Trenderhoof served one purpose well and that was to drive up the Applejack fanservice.

His first impression of Applejack with the bedroom eyes and her face covered in the juice after biting into the apple. This can be seen in a suggestive manner.

Trend biting into the apple covering AJ with the juice, which can be seen as a suggestive manner.

AJ dressing up and showing off as a model.

I very much agree! 

The episode plot wasn't very good to begin with but still this could have been a very good episdode instead of this. Trenderhoof was uninteresting, unapealing and boring. He had no flavor, no characterization in short words, poorly writen.

There were so many things wrong with this episode and Trenderhoof was one of them

I can't really say that I was 'disappointed' in him as I didn't really expect this to pan out too differently from her crush on Blueblood in 'The Best Night Ever'.

With that said, as a character he certainly could have been given more depth other than his crush on Applejack and his reputation/occupation.

The reason I felt so 'meh' about him was although he could be kind of annoying, I didn't feel a large amount of disdain for his character, but I wasn't crazy about the idea of him staying in Ponyville, either.