Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else disappointed in Trenderhoof?

Forlong

Trenderhoof is part of the reason I don't like "Simple Ways." 

he certainly didn't help things.  I mean he's not epic like flash sentry (epic fail counts as epic).

Like people don't snarl, curse and spit when they mention trender hoof.  and thats the problem.

He's not bad enough enjoyable in a ironic way.

Did i like him more than suri?

ehhhhhhhhhhh that's like saying if i'd rather be kicked in my left marbel or my right.

I liked him a little more than suri.

Simple ways was better than rarity takes,

that said,

it was still pretty bad.

He was completely a plot device and although one could argue that everything is a plot device I don't think the writers even tried to make his character stand out. I really think we give the writers too much credit and they aren't always as talented as we make them out to be. Not to say they don't have strokes of genius or that they never do an amazing job with an episode, but at times I feel like they throw stuff into a plot just for the heck is it.

His personality was very dull, bland, and oblivious. He was an extremely rude and dense character, not to mention terrible at poetry.

But am I the ONLY ONE who has been thinking about his appearance? I mean, I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but COME ON! LOOK at him! It's pathetic! What happened to your taste in men, Rarity?!

His personality was very dull, bland, and oblivious. He was an extremely rude and dense character, not to mention terrible at poetry.

But am I the ONLY ONE who has been thinking about his appearance? I mean, I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but COME ON! LOOK at him! It's pathetic! What happened to your taste in men, Rarity?!

When did rarity ever have good taste in men?

I mean she's picked two duds in a row.  Am i being un fair?

I think this mistake was more forgivable because i think her awe of trender hoof i more of a fan and decides based on what he's done

she's in lurve.

It's not shallow, what he does represents her interests.

She loses sight of why she likes him as the episode goes on, or i'm totally off point.

What do you think?

I very much agree! 

The episode plot wasn't very good to begin with but still this could have been a very good episdode instead of this. Trenderhoof was uninteresting, unapealing and boring. He had no flavor, no characterization in short words, poorly writen.

There were so many things wrong with this episode and Trenderhoof was one of them

While I agree that he wasn't well written, he wasn't really the focus of the episode anyway.  It was less about Trenderhoof and more about the dynamic between AJ and Rarity- Rarity's tendency to get lost in her emotions and take things too far, and AJ as the voice of reason calling out the idiocy for what it is. 

To, be honest, Trenderhoof didn't actually look that promising. Rarity was already let down by Blueblood, and if she were to get a mate, it might change her character status completely. And it would be a bit odd, I mean, despite our fan community, little girls still watch it, to show the 'coltfriend and marefriend' stage to the younger audiences might grow some parental complaints...

The lines in this episode were a bit ...off, and trenderhoofs personality, even though he's 'the most interesting pony in Equestria' was a bit bland. And that poem he said in front of rarity; can any of yous, even though you made up the perfect poem to end in 'rarity' say that and feel like you didn't get an F in poetry or break a mares heart?

Edited by daringbadassdo

• 4 months later...
(edited)

I would also consider this funny, but the fact that Ghostie and I both love Rarity yet share completely dufferent thoughts on Trenderhoof is most interesting I would say.

I like Trenderhoof, I believe he os an all around decent guy. One of the few more positive stallions in the show, especially as a unicorn as well.

---------------------

To go over a few details, which I rewatched Simple Ways for:

First of, especially because of the' stalker shrine', Rarity is/was a clearly an obsessive fangirl of Trenderhoof. Her actions and behavior clearly reflect this when she meets and interacts with this famous stallion of her dreams. The problem though with such crushing is that it is realistic. Also consider for a moment hoq often someone that they would meet a fangirl with a crush and the fact they are not require to ha e interest, let alone romantic interest, in those they meet. So really Rarity's actions were her own, as a fans action while around their idol and obsession... not the famous person in question. I mean she was completely freaking out at the trainstation before even meeting the object of her obsession. More completely breaking down in her overdramatic manner when she learns Trenderhoof has a crush on Applejack.

Moving on more directly to Trenderhoof. He is no some famous actor or even a famous author. He is a writer that travels Equestria looking for stories to be shown in magazines. He is a columnist and thus having rest social skills are not required for his line of work, instead all he needs to do is taken notes and gather the information needed for his columns/writings for magazines. I will note he speaks surprisingly honestly and openly, giving his thoughts when he wants to.

To note though he is polite and attentive to Rarity as she guides him through Ponyville, perhaps realizing she is a fan but not the extent of her obsession for him. He pays attention and listens to Rarity... until, like she did towards him, gets an instant crush on Applejack.

Of note though is some of the odd things he says, "the soil feels so authentic", "You know, I have such respect for the work ethic of earth ponies", and his line about "the mundane, the simple, and unappreciated". It's seems to suggest h is talking about things he does not surely know or understand and comin off as innocently insensitive. He says or does something with realizing it might upset others. Such as the song he created, one he was sharing with Rarity but coming off as if he was leasing her on. Then there is the whole asking Rarity if she thinks Applejack would-be his date.

I believe these are one of may hints that he is honestly clueless the effects his wores have on others, the effect his words were having on Rarity. More he was coming off as a lovestruck puppy following Applejack around. Eager to learn and ask questions, seeking Applejack's approval (as Rarity was seeking from him), even willingly throwing away his like of fame and travel just to be with the mare he respected, admired, and had a crush on... much like Rarity.

Which I believe was the point the writers were trying to get across, two ponies trying to change themselves to be more appealing to the one they liked, that they shouldn't do this. Though I will say I feel Rarity had been a bit more out of control about the whole thing.

All in all I like Trenderhoof, I can see a bit of myself in him and I don't think he is a bad pony... though really, not falling head of hooves fo a mare as gorgeous as Rarity, really? He had the most beatiful mare in Equestria in his grasp and sets his sights on Applejack... no offense to Applejack. She is nice too, just not as much as Rarity. -Laughs-

Edited by EquestrianScholar

It doesn't seem very "high class" to bite an apple so hard that you spray apple juice all over the pony next to you.

I think it was fairly obvious from his reaction that "high class" things were the last thing on his mind at that moment, I wouldn't be surprised if he was thinking of certain other "juices" if you know what I mean.

He met my expectations, he had a crush on Applejack which is completely understandable (she is sexiest pony after all) and acted like a complete and total doofus by pretending to be somepony he is not to get Applejack's attention. He did the same thing Rarity did in that episode so I don't get why so many people hate this guy, he is not the greatest character ever but did you really expect him to be?

I like him, it's understandable he had a crush on Applejack like said.

But the overall episode was so boring. The problem doesn't come directly from him, but from how the episode was written (it's one of my least favorite episodes of the season 4).

Trenderhoof ruined the episode although he seems to be a good character...

(edited)

I like him, it's understandable he had a crush on Applejack like said.

But the overall episode was so boring. The problem doesn't come directly from him, but from how the episode was written (it's one of my least favorite episodes of the season 4).

Trenderhoof ruined the episode although he seems to be a good character...

I actually greatly enjoyed Simply Ways, I found it completely brillant. Seriously probably the best performances I have seen when it comes to Rarity and Applejack.

I think I can honestly say it was on of the most enjoyable and funny episodes in the show

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Trenderhoof is like Blueblood.

He had pontential,but they just fucked it up.

Trenderhoof is nothing like Blueblood, at all. Please don't make such a comparison between a decent if clueless stallion and a completely terrible stallion that is a disgrace to his title.

I think it was fairly obvious from his reaction that "high class" things were the last thing on his mind at that moment, I wouldn't be surprised if he was thinking of certain other "juices" if you know what I mean.

Well, I don't know what you mean.  Tell me more. :wacko:

He met my expectations, he had a crush on Applejack which is completely understandable (she is sexiest pony after all)

Clearly you have not met my waifu.

2013___princess_luna___hearts_and_hooves

Trenderhoof is like Blueblood.

He had pontential,but they just fucked it up.

There is no need for that kind of talk.

51219465.jpg 

just kidding 

(lol no im not)

On topic: Yes,i was dissapointed with Trenderhoof quite abit as i honestly thought the episode was going to be about how trying to date someone who your worship,yet ultimately do not personally know,is a disaster waiting to happen. I was honestly expecting Trend to fall for Rarity and then they go through the 'omg true love at 1st site' trope,but then later Rarity dumps him  they find out that they actually aren't right for each other because they din't really know each other and the relationship was based off of a false expectation and perhaps maybe Applejack is the voice of 'ya...perhaps you two aren't meant for each other' reason.

Instead we got what we got.

Shame because Trends character isn't all that bad and compared to Blueblood,he was far superior dating material for Rarity if he actually liked her.

Sure he wasn't perfect,yes he did ignore Rarity pretty blatantly,but tbh i din't get the sense he was doing it to be cruel,he honestly had no idea Rarity like him(stupid i know) and i believe if he did he would've been more considerate of his actions. 

Meh,in the end Trenderhoof will be never be liked for obvious reasons that have nothing to due with his actual character.  :P

I agree, they could have done plenty with Trenderhoof.

It seems though, that if ever brought back, there would be plenty of room for character development. ^^

Not really. I figured he would be a one-dimensional character with nothing really interesting going for him.

Trenderhoof was just fine for who he was. I find it interesting that so many people are so focused on Trenderhoof being a one-dimensional character. He served his purpose, what more do you want from him? Cherry Jubilee was pretty one-dimensional. Hayseed Turnip Truck was pretty one-dimensional. Braeburn was actually pretty one-dimensional too. Yet none of these characters have stirred up as much of a ruckus as Trenderhoof has.

I thought he was a pretty funny character who was a bit on the clueless side but overall was a nice guy who just had an crush but went about it the completely wrong way. I'm not sure why people were expecting so much out of this guy, I just thought he'd be a great catalyst for a funny episode, and it turns out that "Simple Ways" was a hilarious episode with plenty of great moments that involved Applejack, Rarity, and yes, even Trenderhoof.