Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Elder Scrolls Online...Paying per month?

Neon Fire

Has anyone else heard this?  I heard for ESO you have to pay $15 per month, which is stupid.  You're already paying for XBL/PSN...  Why should you pay more?  And THAT much?!  I watched the cinematic trailer and the game looks incredible, however, from what I've heard, the landscapes in game aren't as good in Skyrim (however that could be due to it just being a beta).  I also know that while playing the game, there's people constantly walking around, who can talk to the same person as you, at the same time.  Which, I don't personally like. 

Anyway...  Got a little off track there.  Has it been confirmed to pay per month?  If so, why?

• Brohoof 1

Yes, it will be pay to play.

They realize that people want to play this game. It's a large brand, so they will undoubtedly take advantage of that.

Do you know if it's $15 a month?  If it is, I won't be getting it, since that's too expensive.

Do you know if it's $15 a month?  If it is, I won't be getting it, since that's too expensive.

It's speculated that it will be $15, seeing that is kind of the standard for online gaming subscriptions.

(See: World of Warcraft, Star Wars the old Republic, Lord of the Rings Online)

This is also an article that says it will be subscription based. It could still change though, seeing as it releases in what, April?

Sadly pay to play MMOs are really the "best" way to do it even if it is inconvenient to the consumer. It's the most surefire way to keep the servers up and sadly when you have games that are freemium it ends up being those who spend the most real money get a huge advantage over the other players. It's sadly the best way to ensure the uptime of the game.

It is pay per month. $15 per month is not a lot when you think about it since WoW is the same even after all these years. Elder Scrolls has a huge fan base, so the price isn't surprising. They don't care about your XBL/PSN fees, their main focus is the PC market anyways.

People need to stop excepting everything to be free to play or only something like $5, $15 is right where it should be so long as the game offers the content. I quit WoW years ago because I feel the content isn't worth that anymore, others don't see it that way. I personally feel buy to play is where it's at, since I can't justify the monthly cost when all I do is play maybe a few hours over the course of the month anymore. There needs to be a payment model where you pay for what you use.

I personally will not be buying, even after wanting an online ES game for years. I've played every beta so far and I just don't like it as much as the single player games. Turning it into an MMO, it just feels off. Too much like a typical MMO and not enough like ES. I'll stick with GW2 which has a better experience IMO, I'd even pay the $15 a month for it if I had to.

The last thing i want to do is pay to play a game.

Maybe if they made a Fallout Online i'd probably pay for it..but hell. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic games.

Edited by Detective Sparkles
  • Brohoof 1

It is pay per month. $15 per month is not a lot when you think about it since WoW is the same even after all these years. Elder Scrolls has a huge fan base, so the price isn't surprising. They don't care about your XBL/PSN fees, their main focus is the PC market anyways.

People need to stop excepting everything to be free to play or only something like $5, $15 is right where it should be so long as the game offers the content. I quit WoW years ago because I feel the content isn't worth that anymore, others don't see it that way. I personally feel buy to play is where it's at, since I can't justify the monthly cost when all I do is play maybe a few hours over the course of the month anymore. There needs to be a payment model where you pay for what you use.

I personally will not be buying, even after wanting an online ES game for years. I've played every beta so far and I just don't like it as much as the single player games. Turning it into an MMO, it just feels off. Too much like a typical MMO and not enough like ES. I'll stick with GW2 which has a better experience IMO, I'd even pay the $15 a month for it if I had to.

Also freemium models are generally more money than monthly fees. Most people end up paying a lot more for them or you have to sit there and suffer a huge disadvantage.

Yeah, I hate the whole MMO thing...  I hope for the next ES game, it would be more like Dead Island where you can choose to be online with people.  I prefer that way more than people just walking around.  It just ruins the story. :/

Sadly pay to play MMOs are really the "best" way to do it even if it is inconvenient to the consumer. It's the most surefire way to keep the servers up and sadly when you have games that are freemium it ends up being those who spend the most real money get a huge advantage over the other players. It's sadly the best way to ensure the uptime of the game.

Pay to play MMOs may be the best way for the company, and ultimately the consumer because they get better quality game content rather than stuff to fill the market with, but I disagree with what was said about the freemium advantage. TERA, RIFT, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and GW2 to an extent all do really well without monthly fees and the content in their markets is nothing but cosmetic stuff and your typical consumables which make very little impact other than increased XP for a short time or something. I've seen nothing that would make someone have a huge advantage over others in any of those games and I've been playing them for years (since before a few of them even went FTP).

Now Star Wars is a whole different story, but that's EA for ya. They screw stuff up from the start, and continue doing so long after other companies would have fixed things.

Pay to play MMOs may be the best way for the company, and ultimately the consumer because they get better quality game content rather than stuff to fill the market with, but I disagree with what was said about the freemium advantage. TERA, RIFT, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and GW2 to an extent all do really well without monthly fees and the content in their markets is nothing but cosmetic stuff and your typical consumables which make very little impact other than increased XP for a short time or something. I've seen nothing that would make someone have a huge advantage over others in any of those games and I've been playing them for years (since before a few of them even went FTP).

Now Star Wars is a whole different story, but that's EA for ya. They screw stuff up from the start, and continue doing so long after other companies would have fixed things.

Free to Play is more or less a myth for MMOs. There is no real such thing as "free to play" there is always some kind of paid features and a lot of the time when a game has no monthly fee, they make up for it by making a lot of stuff easier to get via paying real money. Perfect World sells mounts (which take forever to get otherwise and cost a crap ton of in game currency). Essentially they design it so you can ALWAYS get that stuff without paying anything, but paying money gets it eons faster.

A lot of the time even those cosmetic items though give you an advantage; you can sell them for a ton of in game currency most of the time.

Free to Play is more or less a myth for MMOs. There is no real such thing as "free to play" there is always some kind of paid features and a lot of the time when a game has no monthly fee, they make up for it by making a lot of stuff easier to get via paying real money. Perfect World sells mounts (which take forever to get otherwise and cost a crap ton of in game currency). Essentially they design it so you can ALWAYS get that stuff without paying anything, but paying money gets it eons faster.

A lot of the time even those cosmetic items though give you an advantage; you can sell them for a ton of in game currency most of the time.

Meh, I've never paid a dime of real money in any of those games except GW2 which was for costumes that become bound as soon as you buy them. So I beg to differ, free to play does exist and works out just fine. I've never been at a disadvantage on STO or CO, plenty of in-game currency in each, and my character in CO is actually pure OP compared to the majority of others I have ran with.

Having a pile of in-game currency isn't much of an advantage in my experience (except maybe in WoW but it's got a power hungry community so that's no surprise). I get so much just from breaking loot down to mats and selling them in GW2 that I don't know what to do with my gold. I normally turn it into gems to buy costumes from the market. GW2 does the right thing though by making legendaries and whatnot nothing more than skins basically, no rampant item number elitists like in WoW which clearly shows gold is power there.

That's my personal experience though, I just casually play and enjoy myself. I don't care about the best of the best, yet I've always been able to keep up with the ones who do, even back when I played WoW.

Edited by The Mane-iac

I was so hyped for this game until I heard it's pay to play. Between working two jobs, I don't have time to sit down and play games anymore like I could in school. I never really got into WoW for that very reason. Skyrim was the shit, but I'm not paying $15 a month to play a downgrade of it. I have a feeling that once it drops for PC, people won't buy it because of the subscription. Then once the console version drops, it'll be free to play. Here's hoping!

• Brohoof 1

Now that I think about it there has never been an MMO with monthy fee that doesn't go Free-To-Play (Aside from World of Warcraft)

EDIT:

My bad I just noticed EVE Online also has a monthy fee

Edited by Treecut

I personally think that they should not have people paying each month when we already pay for xbox live membership and over $100 to get the special edition game, but I guess since they will need it to help keep the servers running smoothly then we will just have to deal with it. 

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/

It is the fifth one down... for those who want to know some specifics about their payment model/method.... Personally I don't care if I have to pay monthly for a game that's good and normally I can make that judgement based off of a few weeks of playing the game (You get the first month free anyways). If I don't like it then I won't renew a subscription and I'm only out the amount of money I spent on the game itself and let's be honest we can all think of one game that we "Wasted" money on at some point (I can think of many)....

Right now I have been enjoying playing mostly Free to play games anyways.

Subscription type models/micro-transactions will alway be incorporated into the MMO genre it is usually the only feasible way to keep the game updated with content, bug fixes, and balance changes... Otherwise the game just ends up dieing.

I've been told the higher up levels are more fun but from what I've played...UUUUGH. Run for five minutes, kill a few dudes, run for five minutes, kill a few dudes. Considering the money you need to drop on this game and then PAY A MONTHLY FEE...not worth.

Yes, it will be pay to play.

They realize that people want to play this game. It's a large brand, so they will undoubtedly take advantage of that.

This is not the reason.

The only way to make a big and successful MMO that has a big player base and constant updates is to pay by month (see WOW and Eve and RS). People seem to forget that they are quite happy to waste $100's on LOL heroes and skins and $70 a game for Xbone ect.

People moaning about XBL and PSN, buy a PC. better faster stronger cheaper and FREE online everything, You can't blame they for wanting to go pay monthly because of MS / Sony's greed.

With the latest gen it really is no cheaper to buy a console anymore, the only thing keeping people there seem to be the friends.

It's crazy, for a worse experience you have to pay more for games. Titanfall is a full £10 more on console then on PC. Crazy.

• Brohoof 1