Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are online friends just as important as offline friends?

Crazy Misty

even though all we ever did was chat and play Osu. :P

We should totally play that game again! Back in the days when Zoop failed miserably. ^^

On topic, i would say it's just as important as irl friends, in some cases i prefer friends i've met online because i've a easier time to express and get my true words out of my mouth. xD I feel more uncomfortable outside talking to a person i've never met before, might be a reason to why i don't get the ideal friends from the outside world. (irl)

<3 to all my so called "online friends".

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Online friends is more for me, because we usually have the same interest. My RL friends are too different from me sometimes.

And the annoy the hell out of me too.

Edited by Crystal Sparkle
  • Brohoof 1

I take shit all the time from my parents about how i can't have online friends it really pisses me off I care about all of my friends online or not and if i want to be there for them i will be they are just as important.

wow, nice run-on sentence there ;)

Friends are friends no matter what. And in the case of me, socializing IRL is pretty difficult with all but a few people, and most people tend to make me paranoid. On the Internet, however, I can find people who are more similar to me from the getgo with forums a big reason for that. Forums are great in that they're gathering spots for people who, though varied in many ways, have a common thread which sews them together.

I have actually just started making my online friends real life friends! I text a few online friends, now that I have know them for a few years, one I have kept up with 4 or 5 years now! A few "online" friends started at school, but then moved. Thankfully, their on the forums im on as well!

I got quite a few good friends from online!

Well I don't think so, you can have a lot of fun and stuff like that with a online friend, but a "real life" friend its much better cause is easily trust him and he would be with you in the though and happy moments, and he will give you a hug when you need it and would be always there for you, :) friends are the family that you choose♥ I have the greatest friends :wub:

(edited)

The entire internet can be your friend. :lol:

I find it alot easier to interact digital. Since it's indirect communications (which I prefer a lot). I like to think and this gives me time to think, without bothering the other person(s) too much, not relying too much on your short term activity.

I dislike direct communication like phones. Unlike forums where i can play around with words, emoticons and other things

Like choosing a nickname, avatar, images etc. Building up that image of yourself to others at your own pace.

It's too easy to be judged for the wrong reasons in the real world (stereotypes), giving someone the wrong idea about you before you even get a chance.

Even so, if someone doesn't Want to judge another for something, it can still have an effect on their behaviour. Which seems a lot more controllable in an online environment.

But anyway... ok... as for having friends. I admit I don't have any "real friends"... call me introvert, since I probably am. I just need a quality friend, not quantity.

Never had anything close to a "best" friend, in either world. digital or physical. It's not really needed anyway. Friendly communication/interaction is enough already.

PS:... I actually shortened this like 80% :blink: I like thinking (then typing that), too much

Edit: Of course I would always like to find that real friend, let alone finding the perfect partner. I just want to spend my time right from the start.

Edited by AIMonkey
  • Brohoof 1

Yes they are, the only difference is that they are behind a computer screen, I only have like one actual friend in real life, I value having friends online, especially on here.

I mean why should it change? I realize you can't see them, but they are human beings behind that screen just like us, and it is just as good if not better!

I find online friends to be just as important as friends offline.

Sometimes I prefer them really. Since you can sometimes type and take time to say what you really want to say w/o sounding mean with them.

(edited)

Sometimes I feel I have no friends. I mean, I have some IRL, but I don't know them too well, I guess.

This topic, and the mods and admins responses have given me hope. So, I'm going to follow what everyone else is saying and say yes.

Edited by Nightfall Solara Greylight

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to place them on even par with my real life friends because they both play a different role in my life.

Friendship has always been and remains hard for me and I find it very difficult to make new friends so I only ever had a few friends at one time.

Today there's only two real life friends that I consider to be my best friends.They helped me get through my schooling years and without them I would have been very lonely and depressed. These days we get together on the weekends and either go out somewhere or just hang around at my place.

As for online so far I have met a number of people but there's only a few that I would consider to be a close friend. Most of my online friends used to consist of people that I play games with which is how we met. Recently I have become disconnected from a lot of them because I stopped playing the games that they do because I lost interest in playing them.

So far since joining the forums I have made friends with two new people one of which that I play games with. They give me something to do and someone to talk to during the week.

My father though thinks that the people I play games with aren't really people and that they have no life and some other crap that I can't remember. Whenever I try to defend them he comes up with more crap as a counter so whenever it comes up I just drop it because there's no convincing him.

I'm told that he used to talk with people on his CB radio when he was young so maybe I should mention that to him as a defense...

They both play very a important part of my life because altogether I have four friends and that keeps me content for now but if I was to lose just one then it would severely impact my sociability and would have detrimental effect on me.

So thanks to the internet it is a bit easier for me to make friends as there are people everywhere and your bound to come across someone that shares a similar interest.

There's always numerous factors to consider with stuff like this.

For me however for Online Friends I think the best way to work with that is to make them into "real" freinds.

Which is easier and easier now with the used of facebook, skype, and numerous other advancements in technology.

If you ask me, there's a time and a place for both.

Online friends are awesome, but chances are, you'll rarely (if ever) see them in person. Sure, you can webcam with them, you can play video games with them and such, but they're still not actually there. It's an insufficient substitute for live human contact imo. I love all my online friends but I still wish they lived next door instead of states/countries away.

That said, unless you live with them (which is often not the best decision) you won't be able to access your best RL friends with the click of a mouse. Online friends have the convenience advantage. Still there a slew of things you can do with RL friends that you simply can't do with internet friends, and playing video games with them in the same room is a big one for me. That, and well, paintballing, hiking, camping, going to amusement parks, etc.

TL; DR: Speaking from experience, having a few best friends from both the internet and real life can really complete you.

(edited)

are they just as "important"? I don't know, that's a pretty ambiguous word to describe them with.

As to whether or not they can replace real life friends... The answer to that is no. It's often difficult to gauge the true intentions of someone whose sitting right next to you, through the internet and even while chatting with a webcam it's effectively impossible. Beyond this the rest has been said before, there's no real interaction, body language, etc.

People can make themselves out to be any way they want just by talking, but when you actually get to know someone in real life and gain an understanding of them through their actions and not just through their words that creates a bond that can be taken more seriously. That's what I believe.

To put it bluntly, the internet is all talk and talk is cheap.

Edited by Hollowshield

I think the answer depends on personal circumstance. In my case, online friends are just as important. Sure, there might be something a little impersonal about typing on a keyboard to commmunicate, but it's a small price to pay for the support and unity you find in places like this. I probably say this a lot, but I'm glad for you all and these forums because there's a sense of community, brotherhood, and open-mindedness that's really not too common in the outside world.

YES!

I am always making friends in games i love and communities like this. I know some people better then i know friends in RL just from how much i talk to them.

There are also more like me because people are not afraid to be more themselves and genuine.