Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Spike X Sweetie Belle be a better Shipping than Sparity?

True Rarity

Idk about Spike and Sweetie. He kind of looks down on the CMC as if he's more mature than them a bit and he usually seen to hang out with the mane 6 and not the school age foals. i could see him biding his time with rarity or something

Faust has stated Spike to be about an 8-year-old in terms of maturity, which clearly isn't far off from the CMC's maturity level. Where you're getting your logic, I have no earthly clue.

Is there someplace to look that up? Because S1-2 Spike is definitely more mature than an 8year old.

And yes, in my opinion a teenager being in a relationship with a grown women is nowhere near as the same teenager being with a grade schooler.

• Brohoof 1

Is there someplace to look that up? Because S1-2 Spike is definitely more mature than an 8year old.

And yes, in my opinion a teenager being in a relationship with a grown women is nowhere near as the same teenager being with a grade schooler.

And in my opinion, your opinion that Spike is equatable to a teenager doesn't hold water. We've seen teenage dragons, and compared to them, Spike is still very much a grade-schooler. As for Faust's quote, that can be found here.

Maybe...he hangs out with the Cutie Mark Crusaders a lot, but I have a difficult time seeing them as anything beyond friends.

And even if it did work out, somewhere along the line it could become even more complicated if Sweetie Belle (possibly) came to the conclusion that Spike only became interested in her after his crush became increasingly unrequited by giving up before moving onto her, being Rarity's younger sister or a 'Silver Medal'.

Or in other words; a Rarity that's more or less his own age...and I don't think most people are too happy when they feel like they've been used like that.

It's just my thoughts on the matter and how it could quite easily turn ugly sometime down the road for them if it happened.

We've seen teenage dragons,

Well, corporeal  and mental age clearly don't go hand in hand with dragons (Secret of my Excess), so for all we know, the two could be entirely separated.

As for Faust's quote, that can be found here.

Hmm, that does check out. However, in my opinion S1-2 Spike does definitely not act like a 8 year old.

• Brohoof 2

Well, corporeal  and mental age clearly don't go hand in hand with dragons (Secret of my Excess), so for all we know, the two could be entirely separated.

True, but if Spike is similar in corporeal maturity to Sweetie Belle, then I don't see how it'd be somehow "wrong" or "unfitting" for them to be a pairing simply because Spike's mentally more mature than her. If that were the case, I know quite a few people who should be registered sex offenders for dating others of legal age who just so happen to have the maturity level of a grade-schooler.

All arguments of pedophilia and whatnot aside, Sparity at least has more of a basis. We've seen interactions between their characters and it has been shown that Rarity at least has some degree of care for him, even if its little more than looking down at him lovingly as an adorable child.

Meanwhile... Spike and Sweetie Belle just got a few moments of screen time. If they build up more of a relationship between them, then I won't complain, but as of now, I don't see it happening. There's no reason for it TO happen. The pairing pretty much equates to "They shared the screen. SHIP IT."

I have nothing against or for either pairing, but as of now, Sparity honestly holds more ground, controversial though it may be.

• Brohoof 1

True, but if Spike is similar in corporeal maturity to Sweetie Belle, then I don't see how it'd be somehow "wrong" or "unfitting" for them to be a pairing simply because Spike's mentally more mature than her. If that were the case, I know quite a few people who should be registered sex offenders for dating others of legal age who just so happen to have the maturity level of a grade-schooler.

Well, that's a whole other can of worms right there.

What I will say is that in my opinion Spike is a whole lot closer in maturity to Rarity than to Sweetie, who, let's face is, is a bit dim.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

Well, that's a whole other can of worms right there.

What I will say is that in my opinion Spike is a whole lot closer in maturity to Rarity than to Sweetie, who, let's face is, is a bit dim.

I don't see what's really wrong with that. I like intelligent characters as much as the next person, but there's little wrong with throwing in the occasional airhead, as long as it's done right.

I like intelligent characters as much as the next person, but there's little wrong with throwing in the occasional airhead, as long as it's done right.

Oh, I absolutely agree. And I adore Sweetie to no end  for the very reason that this type of character is so rarely pulled off right.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind the SpikeyBelle shipping, but if in the future the writers give them some interactions it would be really funny if their ''relationship''  were like Eilonwy and Taran's (from The black cauldron, a disney movie that is mostly unknown), like this ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmvOlXbmhug

mostly because those characters are children too,and it's really funny XD

• Brohoof 1

Spike is still a baby dragon, dragons age slowly so it takes them longer to grow out of that stage then ponies do. Its quite possible Sweetie could grow in to a full adult and Spike still not be a teenage dragon.

Spike is a terrible character.  His concept is fine.  His visual design isn't so bad.  His voice acting is pretty good.

...but his writing is utterly nonredeemable shit.

As such, I just can't take him seriously as half of any kind of serious romantic relationship, be it with Rarity, Sweetie or even Boneless 2.

• 1 year later...

Well if you take the Comics into account...

sig-4223126.791900.png

She does have a spike plushie, just like how Spike has a Rarity Plushie

sig-4223126.1393230260562.png

waka waka

Nice pun  :twi:

I don't see it happening either though. Spike and Sweetie might be closer biologically and mentally, but if we take into account the red dragon attempting to hibernate for around a century, Spike's lifespan is way longer. Sweetie might be an adult while Spike would be prepubescent, AT LEAST  

Nice pun  :twi:

I don't see it happening either though. Spike and Sweetie might be closer biologically and mentally, but if we take into account the red dragon attempting to hibernate for around a century, Spike's lifespan is way longer. Sweetie might be an adult while Spike would be prepubescent, AT LEAST  

Couldn't resist  :P

Personally I would rather see him with another dragon, preferably one with a feisty personality or something to counter his dry wit.  The chances of them bringing in another dragon however, while not impossible, its not exactly probable for it to happen. 

IMO the events of Cutie Mark Chronicles happened about 10 years before the pilot.  That means Spike was 10 during the pilot, turned 11 during Secret of My Excess, & is now coming up on 12 years old.

If Ponyville's school goes to 8th grade, (IMO this is likely), then Sweetie is at most a year or 2 older than Spike.   There is still the racial difference, but at least on age match, Spike x Sweetie makes more sense than Sparity.

I like SweetieSpike better than Sparity, but I still don't really support it much. Unless Spike actually developed feelings for her (which IS possible), I'd be worried he'd just be "settling" for the little sister because the big sister wasn't interested.

That's not fair to Sweetie Belle (OR Spike).

I actually kind of ship him with Applebloom.  :squee:

Edited by ShadOBabe

No, Sweetie Belle is way younger than Spike in terms of age and maturity. It would be too close to pedophilia and would be creepy. 

And Spike with Rarity isn't?

I doubt Spike and Rarity shipping would be nearly as popular if Rarity was male and Spike female.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 3

Well, the age gap is a lot smaller. Spike can't be more than a few years older than Sweetie Belle. Spike seems like he might be 11 or 12 years old while Sweeite Belle looks around 9 or 10. 8 at the youngest. The age gap is what you'd expect from siblings, really. Once the two grow up, well... Nothing unusual other than them being different species and whatnot. Given that there are mules walking around, it doesn't seem like ponies are that concerned about interspecies relationships.

Anyway, whether or not a ship is "better" is strictly a matter of opinion. If you want to get controversial, try Twilight x Spike. The whole thing being a gray area is sure to spark debate.