S04:E14 - Filli Vanilli  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Pinkie Pie beat Big Mac in a turkey call competition. That's amazing. 

Also, is there nobody else in town who could fill Big Mac's part? 

Anyway, I've been really harsh on this one, and I think that was mostly borne out of frustration for where Fluttershy was at this point. It's yet another episode about Fluttershy being afraid of something. But while I still wish the show hadn't mined this same territory this often, this time around I had a much easier time seeing that this is actually a particularly good version of the "Fluttershy is afraid" plotline. The stage fright conceit does a really nice job of balancing Fluttershy's anxiety with other emotions: she genuinely loves singing, and might like to sing in front of a crowd some day, but she's just not ready for the actual limelight - she's afraid to take the responsibility of putting herself out there to be recognized. The way this episode ends, with Fluttershy making progress towards that goal and even suggesting she'll get there one day, is a particularly nuanced and mature take on the usual Fluttershy themes, even if it's very similar to lessons Fluttershy has learned in past episodes. I've always found this one immensely charming, so I'm really happy I was able to see through the kinda rote premise this time around.

Score:
Entertainment: 9/10
Characters: 7/10
Themes: 8/10
Story: 7/10
Overall: 78/100

Badges

This feels like a poor man's "Hurricane Fluttershy" in a lot of ways. They both even have a freak out bit where Fluttershy imagines a bunch of eyes staring at her. The Fluttershy story was still handled well, but what makes me enjoy this episode isn't Fluttershy, it's mostly Rarity. I think this is Rarity's best portrayal in all of season 4. Her part in cheering up Fluttershy at the end is her crowning moment of the season for me. Obviously the only thing that holds this episode back is Pinkie. I like the turkey call competition, but everything else that came out of her mouth was really annoying. She went past comic relief to ruining any dramatic tension the scene once had. Still, that's not enough to ruin the episode for me.

Score: 7/10

I enjoyed this episode. It was part cute and part funny.

Highlights...

- Pinky while Big Mac was being announced as the previous turkey call winner for the last several years.

- Zecora

- Big Mac’s expression when he first started lip syncing.

- The Pegasus critic guy (I think?) and his daughter.

- The different ways Flutter hid, and she looked so happy.

- Applejack figuring it all out.

- Rarity was great in the end, and I like how everyone pointed out how much she was loved.

- I like that Fluttershy learned from the whole expression, but it didn’t magically completely cure her of her stage fright.

Liked the title as it reflects the band that did lipsync even thought they had good vocies. 

People use that new app to alter their voice so it sounds better. Me I can hear it. It sounds like a high pitch vibrato type of voice to me. I can pick it out all the time. There are a lot of people using it these days. :/ Kinda makes anyone sound better to most. However I can detect it.

I liked the end song and the look of Fluttershy when she flew up towards the camera.  She looks so happy. fluttershysmiles.thumb.jpg.bdcfc16b4c309881e710cb0a03fa10df.jpg

I liked the music in this episode. But Pinky was being a bit mean to Fluttershy, and I didn't really find her jokes funny. I don't think Pinky is the kind of pony that says cruel jokes to somepony else when they're having a hard time. This episode's Pinky just felt a bit out of her actual character, and I found that to be a bit dissapointing. Aside from that, the story itself wasn't too bad.