S04:E14 - Filli Vanilli  

359 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

For the issue about Pinkie Pie in this episode, the series has never gotten around to dealing with that insensitive forceful side of her. A Friend in Deed didn't resolve it, Pinkie just kept pushing and pushing until she made up with Cranky in the end.

This was a really great and enjoyable episode with a great message.

I loved how Fluttershy still needed baby steps to get over her phobia in the end. Things like that is what make this show so great, life is a constant process of growth and change. A lifelong phobia doesn't evaporate even if your close friends coax you to a place of reason.

I think if the Pony-Tones(Spelling?) Had more than one song this would have been absolutely perfect.

• Brohoof 1

What I find utterly fascinating about all of this is how people seem to be ignoring Rarity's role as 'encouraging and supportive big sister type'.

I know Fluttershy going kawaii desu moeblob is apparently enough to justify the stale premise but I find it more than a little funny how a community so judgmental of Rarity fails to notice her good behavior and then has the gall to claim she is "not generous enough."

• Brohoof 1

What I find utterly fascinating about all of this is how people seem to be ignoring Rarity's role as 'encouraging and supportive big sister type'.

I know Fluttershy going kawaii desu moeblob is apparently enough to justify the stale premise but I find it more than a little funny how a community so judgmental of Rarity fails to notice her good behavior and then has the gall to claim she is "not generous enough."

Shoot, I'M not ignoring it!!

I LOVED Rarity in this episode. Her winking at Fluttershy and whispering that "it was perfect" was the sweetest thing EVER!!

I felt a confidence boost from that!! XDD

Overall, this episode was okay. I'm not a particular fan of episodes with a lot of singing in them, and the main concept of Fluttershy being afraid to perform has been done before, but the episode still managed to stay engaging enough, for the most part.

I suppose the parallels between this episode and what happened with Milli Vanilli (i.e. having a "marketable" person on-stage lip-syncing to someone else's actual singing, and this arrangement being revealed by a glitch at a performance) are a bit of an in-joke with older viewers who would know about that. I'm not old enough to remember when they were popular, but "Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" by Milli Vanilli was actually #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 the week that I was born (which is usually accompanied by an "Ugh" and an eye-roll when I mention that artist and song to other people).

Pinkie is even more of an inconsiderate jerk than usual in this episode, which (to me) is saying something, since this is far from the first time that Pinkie has been tactless and bafflingly ignorant of how she would come across to others. Of course, the worst offenses are the two occasions where Pinkie continues her relentless rants even as Fluttershy is crying and cowering, but throughout the episode, Pinkie makes tactless comments, and, to make things even worse, doesn't even seem to be aware that she's doing anything wrong until the rest of the Mane Six show their displeasure. What good purpose did Pinkie think she was serving in spinning an unrealistic worst-case scenario to Fluttershy while Rarity is trying to convince Fluttershy to perform? What good purpose did Pinkie have in reinforcing Fluttershy's fears while (uselessly) recounting how she was revealed at the recent performance? In short, I didn't find Pinkie's inconsiderate rants and comments particularly funny or entertaining, and when Pinkie started her rants, I was just wishing for her to stop, or for another character to stop her.

I didn't really understand the rest of the Mane Six's seeming overreactions and hyperbolic compliments to Fluttershy's singing. I would think they've all heard her singing before, and we, the audience, certainly have. Additionally, while Fluttershy's singing is good, I didn't personally think that it was jaw-droppingly awesome or "like a little slice of heaven" (ugh, such a cheesy phrase) or anything. Similarly, some of the reactions to the Ponytones' performance(s) seemed a little overly enthusiastic to me. Surely this isn't the first time the Ponytones (or a vocal group) have performed at a public event in Ponyville, so I would expect at least some of the wide-eyed wonder to be damped down. And again, while they were good, I didn't really think that the Ponytones were "truly amazing" or "super-duper crazy good" or anything. This especially is seen in the string of ponies who, after seeing the latest Ponytones performance, feel the need to get them for their event the next day. Did none of these ponies have an inkling of booking the Ponytones further in advance? Did they totally forget about the Ponytones until they saw the latest performance, at which point they were so dazzled that they needed to get the Ponytones for their events?

And speaking of that, I'm a little surprised that the Ponytones were willing and able to go along with so many last-minute performances day after day. Did none of the Ponytones have any other obligations on that string of days? We know Rarity and Big Mac, at least, have jobs to do other than singing in the group. Besides, weren't any of them getting too burned out to continue? Since performing in the group presumably isn't a full-time job for them, did none of them want to take a break, not have to worry about another performance, give their singing voices a rest, etc.? I also have to wonder if the Ponytones are getting paid (and paid well) for all of these sudden, last-minute performances.

Of course, the arrrangement whereby Fluttershy sings and Big Mac lip-syncs her is seen to start breaking down when Fluttershy gets too much "into" the music and ad-libs and moves around with increasing frequency and intensity. Why doesn't Big Mac mention this to Fluttershy (and the rest of the group) so that she knows to tone it down a bit? I guess we're to assume that Fluttershy is just too much "in the zone" to even consider that Big Mac might have difficulty lip-syncing to her, or that she might reveal herself with all her moving around. Rarity said that they knew that Fluttershy really wanted to perform, which was a (if not the) reason why they agreed to go to so many events, but I would think that they could tell Fluttershy about this issue and get her to contain herself a little. (Also, on this point, is the song they were singing really so good that Fluttershy just had to ad-lib and move all over the place? I didn't really think so.)

At all of the Ponytones' performances, there's some kind of backing track (with the percussion, etc.) playing, even though I never saw any speakers or sound amplification system (or even a record player) through which such a track would be playing. And of course, at the performance when Fluttershy knocks the curtain down and the rest of the Ponytones stop singing, the backing track inexplicably stops a few seconds later, so that Fluttershy is even more embarrassed by continuing to sing enthusiastically all by herself.

I was thinking about whether the moral of the episode could apply to activities which don't involve public performance, and I suppose it could, in a different way. Lots of people who enjoy MLP have to overcome fears of family and friends finding out and chastising them for their interest in a cartoon for little girls or whatnot. When people ask me what I do for fun, and I reply that I compile Billboard music singles charts from the last 50+ years, I've had to deal with strange looks and people telling me that that's stupid and a waste of time or that I'm too much of a perfectionist about it. (Although, to those points, I don't see how looking up singles charts is any more a waste of time than other common activities like following sports teams, playing video games, watching TV, etc., other than perhaps that singles charts aren't as good a topic of conversation.) Whether it's fears of other people making fun of your chosen hobbies or fears of public performance, the moral that those fears shouldn't stop you from doing what you like could apply.

Now for a few final miscellany:

What exactly is the Ponyville Pet Center for which Fluttershy is organizing a fundraiser? Is that just a more official term for Fluttershy taking care of animals at her house, or is it a separate entity? If the latter, what do they do, and does Fluttershy work for them?

When Fluttershy, Rarity, and Big Mac go to Zecora's place, what is Zecora accomplishing by looking into the dark depths of Big Mac's mouth? She isn't even using a light, and even if she were, could she see Big Mac's vocal cords or anything significant? How is any of this supposed to help her with figuring out the remedy for Big Mac losing his voice?

Although poison joke's specific effect is different for different ponies, I suppose we now know that that effect is seemingly constant for each individual pony.

Cool episode, FLUTTERGUY HAS RETURNED!!! (I kinda knew it too, beacuse when I heard Big Macs voice in the ponytones it made me immeddiatly think about the poison joke stuff and so when I was right I kinda FREAKED OUT) (\^3^/) :derp:

SO MANY SONGS IN SEASON 4 IM GONNA EXPLODE!!! (Literally, I heard songs were explosive :huh: )

Anyway i thought Fluttershy/guy was awesome and i didnt know she was so into music! (She was getting really into the music) soo thats basically my thoughts from the episode... I dont have very many thoughts B):blink::lol::angry::blush::yay::wub:

Words alone simply cannot do this episode justice so instead I'll let Fluttershy and Big MacIntosh speak sing for themselves.

Some of that Big MacIntosh bass singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPrUp35ly6s

Fluttershy AND BIg MacIntosh singing. Two of the most taciturn and soft spoken characters being expressive in a big and beautiful way. What more could you ask for?

Edited by Cwanky

I didn't really understand the rest of the Mane Six's seeming overreactions and hyperbolic compliments to Fluttershy's singing. I would think they've all heard her singing before, and we, the audience, certainly have.

I can address that.  It's often believed (sometimes correctly, but not always) that going over the top with encouragement and praise is the best way to encourage someone who's really shy and has a lot of stage fright.  Fluttershy's friends want to make sure she really knows how good they think she is, and they know she won't respond well to ordinary levels of praise.  However, with her phobia of recognition (which I'm pretty sure carries with it a fear of obligation to keep performing), the extra praise only exacerbates her problem, which her friends don't seem to understand.

• Brohoof 2

This episode was amazing! ^ u ^ I'm a huge fan of Fluttershy, I seriously got up early and waited for Youtube to upload the episode which they did >w< 

I am a bit confused on her saying she "Stage fright" When in that new MLP movie she performing with all her friends O H O;; Unless that Fluttershy got over it and felt comfortable 
performing with her closest friends...I dunno @ . @; 

Her singing is so pretty and funny when she becomes Flutterguy  :yay:  
I can't wait for the next episode of her that will be after the one this Saturday ^ o ^ Honestly I wish Braeburn was in this episode singing with Fluttershy X3 I know that will NEVER

EVER Happen but I could dream can't I? >u<; 

• Brohoof 1

Another GREAT episode!  :D 

The introduction sort of put me off, being thrown into a song like that just isn't my taste. Despite this everything was AMAZING! 

Got to say this episode got me by surprise... so much things I could relate too. Hating the spot light. Like they read my mind!? :o 

The song was really catchy and had an amazing tune!. Did I mention that it had a catchy tune!?

So much entertainment from the return of 'Flutterguy'. I'd like to know who voices Flutterguy? Same voice actress but voice changer I assume?

Over 9000/10 for me! :yay: 

So much entertainment from the return of 'Flutterguy'. I'd like to know who voices Flutterguy? Same voice actress but voice changer I assume?

Nope, that was definitely a guy doing that voice. I was told at a party last night that Flutterguy's original voice actor had passed away, so the deep male voice this time around was notably different.

It was really nice to know when something is confirmed in the show.

One of my favorite ponies (Flutters) is now both known to look good physically (as a model) as well as having a talented singing voice.

The same goes for Rarity as we see her and Big Mac singing too in a popular acapella group.

One thing that's still on my mind: with Flutters substituting Mac's voice and seeing Cheerilee faint for him can this mean that Flutterguy could potentially make Big Mac score with Cheerilee? Talk about a great wing-pony.

Just a thought.

I can address that.  It's often believed (sometimes correctly, but not always) that going over the top with encouragement and praise is the best way to encourage someone who's really shy and has a lot of stage fright.  Fluttershy's friends want to make sure she really knows how good they think she is, and they know she won't respond well to ordinary levels of praise.  However, with her phobia of recognition (which I'm pretty sure carries with it a fear of obligation to keep performing), the extra praise only exacerbates her problem, which her friends don't seem to understand.

That's a pretty good theory, and it might help explain my reaction to the Mane Six's hyperbolic compliments, since I wouldn't even think of trying such a strategy, for a couple of reasons.

One reason is that it probably wouldn't work on me, since I think I'm pretty skeptical of exaggerated praise myself. I don't really believe I'm spectacular at doing much of anything, so if I were given hyperbolic compliments, my reaction in my mind would be something like "Really? I don't think I'm that good". I would suspect the compliments were not entirely true and not take them at face value, and, depending on how over-the-top they were, I might even start wondering what the complimenter's ulterior motives (whether good or bad) might be. So, on me, that strategy would most likely just be a waste, since I probably wouldn't just accept exaggerated praise (although it might work better on a less cynical person).

The other reason is that I don't think I would be able to pull off such a strategy on someone else, since I'm pretty bad at faking enthusiasm and saying things I don't really mean, not to mention that I don't give out compliments very often myself.

Nope, that was definitely a guy doing that voice. I was told at a party last night that Flutterguy's original voice actor had passed away, so the deep male voice this time around was notably different.

Okay, slight correction: Blu Mankuma is still alive and well, but he only did Flutterguy in Bridle Gossip. Alvin Sanders did the voice in this episode, and a gospel singer took care of the singing.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, slight correction: Blu Mankuma is still alive and well, but he only did Flutterguy in Bridle Gossip. Alvin Sanders did the voice in this episode, and a gospel singer took care of the singing.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Was a bit confused. :o  

I am in between liking and loving this episode.

To the people complaining that the mane 6 have already hear Fluttershy sing and the beginning was no different, I disagree a little. Fluttershy hit some nice high soprano notes that I know I haven't heard before. When she was done I was like, "Wow good job Andrea, no idea you could sing like that!" And then the mane 5 gush her. I thought it was appropriate.

Rarity was AMAZING in this episode. Seriously all of season 4 Rarity has been such a gem. This episode really made her shine too. Rarity and Fluttershy are my two favorites and their friendship is something I love seeing explored, so this was a highlight for me.

I enjoyed the callback to season 1 and Flutterguy. Did not see that coming. It was a great twist.

Pinkie Pie was... well, OK. I hear you all out for saying that this isn't the first time that she has been insensitive in these sorts of situations. It's just that throughout this entire season her character has been taken to so many extremes for the sake of getting a laugh, and it really only works half the time at best. I think she was off the mark in her interactions with Fluttershy this episode. I think that if they were going to advance the plot in this particular way then it would have been just as effective and less cringe-worthy to tone Pinkie down a bit. Come on AKR. I love you; you are probably my favorite writer of the show. You JUST wrote an awesome Pinkie episode. You can do better. It actually makes me wonder if those Pinkie bits were edited after she finished writing the episode...

• Brohoof 4

Wait, so deer aren't sapient after all?

I know right? I had the same reaction... *pats back*

Don't worry though!! Just throw your hands up in the air, say "I don't care!!", and make all the sapient deer OCs you want!! X3

(Seriously though, I have no IDEA why deer were depicted as just animals. So far all other hoofed animals (except for pigs) have been depicted as sapient races. Sheep, cows, buffalo, donkeys... Even the goats were, they just spoke in a different language. Why not deer?)

• Brohoof 2

So my Filli Vanilli video review will be delayed but that should only make it even better 

Anyway my thoughts on this episode 

Surprisingly brilliant 

an interesting thing I found of late is Fluttershy popular as she is generally falls down the pecking order of most people favourite mane 6 ponies. Alot of people say it's because all her episodes are the same and she never learns anything from them and whilst I do agree she along with Pinkie and Applejack are characters guilty of being hard to write right I feel she's actually a very dynamic character.

• lot's of people claim she's still a doormat but in this and her other recent episodes she's made her opinions clear when she doesn't want to do something as opposed to PYHD where she just accepted everything she was given and told. She still Kind though and only choose to do this because there were no other options
  • The last time we had an episode about her shyness issues was Hurricane Fluttershy and that was way back in season 2 and her fears and lesson's are different all the time. I mean Rainbow falls was basically a repeat of Wonderbolt's academy and friendship is magic part 2 and It's about time is basically a more subtle Lesson Zero for with twilight learning the lesson (which doesn't follow through as she still as neurotic as ever

I'm going to make a list of bullet points about things in this episode

Fluttershy singing - isn't a problem because we can assume that songs they were singing didn't actually happen and in hearths warming eve everyone is singing and it's alot easier to sing in a crowd 

Pinkie Pie - I not sure what to think of her

Big mac singing  :mellow:

Pinkies evil face :blink:

Spike back to attention whoring rarity (why do they always retcon his character they did the same thing in bats)

Poison Joke

Rarity and Fluttershy best MLP pairing

Fluttershy becomes increasingly more involved in the music

Zipper Wizz

Applejack exposition scene

Baby steps - brilliant way to sum up how Fluttershy character is developing slowly 

Great moral 

9/10 second only to pinkie pride this season

• Brohoof 3

Pinkie Pie really frustrated me in this episode. She is one of my top 2 favorite ponies of the mane six, but she's starting to go a little over the top. 

I liked that they found a way to tie back a previous episode, and that they had a centered fluttershy episode. I wish they'd finally have an episode where they brought back the "keys" plot

I liked that they found a way to tie back a previous episode, and that they had a centered fluttershy episode. I wish they'd finally have an episode where they brought back the "keys" plot

You know we've had three keys shown to us so far.

Edited by ShadOBabe