Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many bronies are there?

StarSwirlTheBearded

It's extremely difficult to say. A lot of them are very shy and/or ashamed and won't say anything to the people they know, let alone strangers.

You could count the unique views on websites like Equestria Daily but how many of those are views of actual bronies? How many are people trying to dig up dirt on bronies? How many are people who might become a brony and are researching the series and fandom but ultimately do not become one? How many are just the same bronies on different computers? How many bronies don't ever come onto the internet and contribute to those views?

The number probably isn't nearly as high as one would think. Sure enough it's not a low number either but it can't be that many. The only reason the fandom seems bigger than it actually is can probably be narrowed down to the controversial nature of the fandom and all the bad rep it gets. Bad publicity is still publicity, as they say.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 3

• 4 months later...

Well first of all there's ten million views on discord and almost twenty million on rainbow dash your gonna go far kid and yea I know there not all bronies who like there music but there's closet bronies who don't revel there selfs my estaminet is a little crazy but the investigtoin I think there's around one hundred million to two hundred million

After being a Brony for over 3 years, knowing how this fandom works and the kinds of people in it, seeing it grow from several hundred thousand to the number it is today, I'd say 5-8 million bronies. Could be a bit more.

I really couldn't say. Maybe around 8 million or so.

Anywhere from from 1 to 3.5 billion Bronies.

Give or take anywhere from 1 to 3.5 billion Pegasisters.

Where did I get these Statistics?....I made them up...Yes Quite....

That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I doubt more than 5% of the world are bronies.

Well first of all there's ten million views on discord and almost twenty million on rainbow dash your gonna go far kid and yea I know there not all bronies who like there music but there's closet bronies who don't revel there selfs my estaminet is a little crazy but the investigtoin I think there's around one hundred million to two hundred million

You've also got to take into consideration that those views aren't all from different people.

You can try this method to get an idea how many bronies there are:

1. Go to the comments section of a popular video which isn’t related to MLP.
  2. Sort comments by “Newest first”.
  3. Click “Show more” 10 or so times.
  4. Press Ctrl+F and type reply. It will tell how many comments are visible.
  5. Count pony related avatars such as ponies, cutie marks, etc.
  6. brony_percentage=pony_related_avatars/total_comment_count*100.
  7. Try this on several videos from different YouTubers to get more precision.

I did it back in early 2013 and it turned out that 2% of YouTube users had pony related avatars. In other words each 50th user had a pony related avatar. I repeated the measurements today and it’s 0.6% or each 170th user has a pony related avatar.

Addition research is required to explain the drop of appearance of pony related avatars. It might be worth doing these measurements each month or so to get an idea how it changes over time.

If you’re interested in my analysis of the fandom dynamics, I suggest checking out analysis and charts.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I say there are about 700000 i think anyones crazy to think theres 12 million. a milion is a big number

Edited by Jake DiscoTech

A million isn't that big considering there are 7 Billion people and counting on Earth.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a millions, considering that the term Brony can mean anything from a casual fan that watches to us here on this website that like to discuss the show and maybe even go to conventions.

A million isn't that big considering there are 7 Billion people and counting on Earth.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a millions, considering that the term Brony can mean anything from a casual fan that watches to us here on this website that like to discuss the show and maybe even go to conventions.

This! My daughters have been fans if the show for a few years and one has never made a single comment on a You Tube video (as far as she tells me). Personally, I can't count the number of IP's I enjoy that I don't participate in ... but there is something about the Brony Community that does make you want to be more involved. It's quite possible that there are too many variables to ever come up with an accurate assessment of the fandom numbers.

• Brohoof 2

Well. Let's just say a lot and leave it at that. See none of my friends know I'm a brony. They'll never know. And I don't know if they're bronies/ pegasisters. So probably the ones that are open about it (3.5 billion) + who knows how many are ones in secret (the rest)= who knows?

You can try this method to get an idea how many bronies there are:

1. Go to the comments section of a popular video which isn’t related to MLP.
  2. Sort comments by “Newest first”.
  3. Click “Show more” 10 or so times.
  4. Press Ctrl+F and type reply. It will tell how many comments are visible.
  5. Count pony related avatars such as ponies, cutie marks, etc.
  6. brony_percentage=pony_related_avatars/total_comment_count*100.
  7. Try this on several videos from different YouTubers to get more precision.

That's a pretty neat method.  But there may be a lot of bronies out there that don't post on youtube.  Yours truly, for example.  So this may not be that accurate.  Still a good trick though.  I do notice pony avatars and the like popping up all over the place on non-MLP related stuff.  How ever many of us there are, it's gotta be a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a pretty neat method.  But there may be a lot of bronies out there that don't post on youtube.  Yours truly, for example.  So this may not be that accurate.  Still a good trick though.  I do notice pony avatars and the like popping up all over the place on non-MLP related stuff.  How ever many of us there are, it's gotta be a lot.

It doesn't matter whether or not you post on YouTube because there is a lot non-bronies who don't post YouTube neither. If becoming a brony doesn't change individual's posting habits on non-pony related videos, this doesn't affect the accuracy of my method.

• 9 months later...

I have heard the number 7-12.4 million bronies thrown around.  I think that it's kind of a high estimate, and I think that there are more around 2-3 million bronies, a vast majority of which being located in the United States.  What do you think?

I reckon it's a lot more than that. That was an estimate made in 2012, and they used valid science to get within a 95% certainty range. By now the size of the brony fandom is definitely at least 10 million, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 25 million. The prediction given before was only for the USA, so it would have been more like 10-15 million, even back then. Remember that there's 7 billion people in the world. 25 million isn't that many, in the grand scheme of things - MLP might be more popular in the USA than in other countries, but even 0.1% of the rest of the world is still over 7 million people.

I heard 400 to 700 million

That would be 10% of the human population.

MLP's popular, but it's not THAT popular. I'd be surprised if 700 million people have even HEARD of MLP.

700 million? WEW.

I think it is safe to say that there are at the very least 8 million active bronies out there in the whole world. A large majority of whom are just closet bronies who just watch the show and they have had their dose of pony for the day.