Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pinkie Pie in Filly Vanilli

Mywas

This thread is to discuss Pinkie's potrayel in the new episode.

A lot of people disliked it and thought she was too much of a jerk.

I personally thought it added some depth to her character. I mean if every single main character out there was nice then we wouldn't have shows like Invader Zim or Ed Edd N Eddy where the main characters are jerks.

• Brohoof 4

A Friend in Deed never resolved Pinkie's insensitive side and she pretty much got to walk away from it. It just sticks out like a sore thumb in Filly Vanilli, while the others call her out on it.

• Brohoof 6

Sure it added depth to her character, but it was uncalled for Pinkie to act this way and it started to get really annoying after the first time she did it. Fluttershy just wanted to have some fun with her favorite group, just saying.

• Brohoof 3

This thread is to discuss Pinkie's potrayel in the new episode.

A lot of people disliked it and thought she was too much of a jerk.

I personally thought it added some depth to her character. I mean if every single main character out there was nice then we wouldn't have shows like Invader Zim or Ed Edd N Eddy where the main characters are jerks.

But the characters in the those shows have always been mean in a consistent fashion.

Pinkie has no desire to be mean and has, in the past, been able to restrain herself with very little pushing from others. But she just seemed to lose ALL of her restraint in this episode for no real reason than for the writers to get Fluttershy more worked up over her fears.

Not even the visible quaking and tears from Fluttershy RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER got her to snap out of it. I think it would have worked better if she had started to go a little wacky, then noticed how Fluttershy was taking it, and then clumsily and awkwardly try to reword things to make up for her lapse in judgement.

• Brohoof 10

But the characters in the those shows have always been mean in a consistent fashion.

Pinkie has no desire to be mean and has, in the past, been able to restrain herself with very little pushing from others. But she just seemed to lose ALL of her restraint in this episode for no real reason than for the writers to get Fluttershy more worked up over her fears.

Not even the visible quaking and tears from Fluttershy RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER got her to snap out of it. I think it would have worked better if she had started to go a little wacky, then noticed how Fluttershy was taking it, and then clumsily and awkwardly try to reword things to make up for her lapse in judgement.

Yeah I think a few things in this episode where a bit over the top!

Like maybe tone her down just a little? when they do it like this it gets harder and harder to portray it as character and being innocence rather then just being blunt and mean!

(and I love pinkie <3)

• Brohoof 1

This really did add depth into Pinkie's character but while I applaud the writers for going far into characteristics, the way she was acting in the episode was honestly, for me, completely uncalled for and she was so inconsiderate to poor Fluttershy because all she does is getting her more and more worked up over her fears or performing on stage in front of huge crowds and being such an idiot creating more trouble for Fluttershy than she solves.

• Brohoof 1

A Friend in Deed never resolved Pinkie's insensitive side and she pretty much got to walk away from it. It just sticks out like a sore thumb in Filly Vanilli, while the others call her out on it.

I was trying to find the episode were I've seen Pinkie Pie being tactless despite her having the best of intentions.

That was why I didn't think that Pinkie was being an asshole. Pinkie Pie overreacts way to much and goes ahead about things that might happen before they even happen, she was just exagerating a chain of possible events, and this is not new on her.

Now try to see the comedy behind it. Pinkie Pie continues to chain event after event adding more and more pressure to Fluttershy about her stage fright to the point of breaking. With a character like Rarity, it wouldn't work out so well, also, notice that Fluttershy is way to fragile, why don't you blame her for being so soft?

Pinkie wasn't rude on purpose, she was just not realizing what she was trully doing  >_>  IMO, she was on character the whole time.

• Brohoof 5

It didn't surprise me that Pinkie acted this way. She does this kind of stuff. I don't think she's intentionally trying to make Fluttershy feel worse, I think she's just kind of being whacky self.

There's nothing wrong with Pinkie being wacky. But Pinkie has always tried her best to not be wacky at the cost of her friend's happiness. This has been shown multiple times. But here she is, not hesitating or pausing, ranting at a visible upset Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 3

ShadOBabe, on 16 Feb 2014 - 3:45 PM, said:

There's nothing wrong with Pinkie being wacky. But Pinkie has always tried her best to not be wacky at the cost of her friend's happiness. This has been shown multiple times. But here she is, not hesitating or pausing, ranting at a visible upset Fluttershy.

It still doesn't surprise me. She's done things like this before, yes? At least I think she has. If she hasn't then I don't know why she was acting this way.

It still doesn't surprise me. She's done things like this before, yes? At least I think she has. If she hasn't then I don't know why she was acting this way.

Not really. Most of the other times she's done something insensitive, it was a spur of the moment outburst where she didn't have any time to think about the repercussions, she just reacted. But then she suddenly realizes what she just did. But this isn't spur of the moment. This is prolonged rambling at someone who is obviously getting more and more upset with every word.

• Brohoof 2

She said one line that was kinda harsh. According to some this means complete derailment and the episode being ruined.

To me Pinkie is not a solid character, she can do stuff that not even unicorn magic can do for the expense of a joke, it's not a stretch to imagine that Pinkie's personality can change for the sake of a joke too. She wasn't even being a dick tbh just was just being blunt.

• Brohoof 1

I was trying to find the episode were I've seen Pinkie Pie being tactless despite her having the best of intentions.

That was why I didn't think that Pinkie was being an asshole. Pinkie Pie overreacts way to much and goes ahead about things that might happen before they even happen, she was just exagerating a chain of possible events, and this is not new on her.

Now try to see the comedy behind it. Pinkie Pie continues to chain event after event adding more and more pressure to Fluttershy about her stage fright to the point of breaking. With a character like Rarity, it wouldn't work out so well, also, notice that Fluttershy is way to fragile, why don't you blame her for being so soft?

Pinkie wasn't rude on purpose, she was just not realizing what she was trully doing  >_>  IMO, she was on character the whole time.

The others were trying to comfort and calm Fluttershy while Pinkie was doing the opposite. Pinkie Pie was just throwing gas on the fire.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

Speaking as someone who's act like a total jerk to people like pinkie did cause i thought it was funny,

it did not make her deeper.

Pinkie's character is to make people happy.

She did it what 3 times?

I've accused pinkie of being a fear mongering jerk

in episodes like luna eclipsed,

bridal gossip,

and now this,

I  had a theory they make pinkie terrible 5 out of 6 episodes on purpose,

mark my words

we'll get another pinkie apple pie, or pinkie pride episode in the next 4 episodes if i'm right.

And by that i mean another episode where pinkie is pure epic than goes back to sucking.

The others were trying to comfort and calm Fluttershy while Pinkie was doing the opposite. Pinkie Pie was just throwing gas on the fire.

Yes, by ACCIDENT. 

Pinkie says: "I don't think anyone was jealous, and there certainly wasn't an angry mob or anything!" This is Pinkie's way of comforting Fluttershy and yes it's not helpful, but to say Pinkie wasn't trying to comfort Fluttershy is ridiculous.

• Brohoof 4

Sure she was, but what bothers me is that no pony can do anything negative in the show because it's seen as a writing problem or an out of character problem.

Sure, Pinkie was pouring salt on the injury but she was being naive about what she was doing. What I mean, is that she wasn't being directly rude to Fluttershy. She was being too direct and tactless, which Fluttershy didn't take well

• Brohoof 4

Sure she was, but what bothers me is that no pony can do anything negative in the show because it's seen as a writing problem or an out of character problem.

Sure, Pinkie was pouring salt on the injury but she was being naive about what she was doing. What I mean, is that she wasn't being directly rude to Fluttershy. She was being too direct and tactless, which Fluttershy didn't take well

Pinkie Pie has generally been that way. Others just wrote this behavior off as acceptable normal Pinkie Pie stuff and tolerated it.

It was different now that the others didn't find it acceptable this time around and wouldn't tolerate it. This just wasn't the appropriate time for Pinkie's overwhelming approach for such a sensitive problem.

Edited by Singe

Pinkie Pie has generally been that way. Others just wrote this behavior off as acceptable normal Pinkie Pie stuff and tolerated it.

It was different now that the others didn't find it acceptable this time around and wouldn't tolerate it. This just wasn't the appropriate time for Pinkie's overwhelming approach for such a sensitive problem.

I don't disagree that it wasn't acceptable, but at least I don't moan about it. Pinkie was being Pinkie, as long as she's not being purposely rude, I was fine with it.

That reminds me of people complaining about how Rarity treated Sweetie in Sleepless in Ponyville, and I was like, yeah, she was just being used for comedy, but also Sweetie manipulated Rarity to get her to do something she wasn't ok with. So it was fair for me.

I don't disagree that it wasn't acceptable, but at least I don't moan about it. Pinkie was being Pinkie, as long as she's not being purposely rude, I was fine with it.

That reminds me of people complaining about how Rarity treated Sweetie in Sleepless in Ponyville, and I was like, yeah, she was just being used for comedy, but also Sweetie manipulated Rarity to get her to do something she wasn't ok with. So it was fair for me.

If someone has a problem with Pinkie's behavior in this episode or A Friend in Need, they need to go back and look at the whole horse.

This isn't the first time Pinkie Pie roadblocked a Fluttershy and Rarity problem. It was Pinkie Pie stalking Twilight that kept her from telling Fluttershy and Rarity the truth that would have resolved the Green Isn't Your Color issue.

Edited by Singe

If someone has a problem with Pinkie's behavior in this episode or A Friend in Need, they need to go back and look at the whole horse.

This isn't the first time Pinkie Pie roadblocked a Fluttershy and Rarity problem. It was Pinkie Pie stalking Twilight that kept her from telling Fluttershy and Rarity the truth that would have resolved the Green Isn't Your Color issue.

then, of what are you arguing about? you seem to be defending Pinkie as much as I do

then, of what are you arguing about? you seem to be defending Pinkie as much as I do

I wasn't arguing. or debating. Just stating my opinion on the matter. I always seen PP as a character who crosses the line often in the series, that's just how she is and rarely gets called out on it.

I wasn't arguing. or debating. Just stating my opinion on the matter. I always seen PP as a character who crosses the line often in the series, that's just how she is and rarely gets called out on it.

maybe I missunderstood something because I was perfectly sure you meant the oposite at the beginning.

Whichever is the case, I agree, that's why Pinkie was ok-ish in this episode, doesn't mean she picked the best method tho, but that's how Pinkie is, besides she was very funny.

Even though she didn't mean to, it was still a dick move. She was right in Fluttershy's face and should've seen the distress she was causing her up close. If she'd been babbling while not LOOKING HER IN THE EYE, it would've been fine. But her doing it up close like that makes her look like a (way) bigger jerk than needed.

What really bothers me is the turkey calling contest. One minute she's got that suspicious smile, the next she's got a medal. If I didn't know better, I'd think she did something to Mac in order to win...

The really bizarre part about it is that it was written by the same scribe who wrote "Pinkie Pride" :blink:

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 2