Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

BABSCon Guests

WeAreBorg

How will autographs be set up regarding the IDW staff? At BronyCon last year, Andy, Katie, and Heather (Breckel) had a table in the vendor hall and were selling merchandise and commissions in addition to signing items. The autographs were free, though I believe they did ask people who wanted more than a certain number to buy something.

How will autographs be set up regarding the IDW staff? At BronyCon last year, Andy, Katie, and Heather (Breckel) had a table in the vendor hall and were selling merchandise and commissions in addition to signing items. The autographs were free, though I believe they did ask people who wanted more than a certain number to buy something.

Yeah I have the same question... because the schedule only has autograph times listed for the show writers and VA's, but they also don't have booths listed for them in the vending area, so I'm curious how they will be doing their autographs.

I'm sure this isn't a new idea but I have been sort of struggling with what it is that I will want to have signed.  For Disney I have a 9" all white vinylmation figure of Mickey and I have autographs on that.  But the only all white or blank pony I can find is the old style and that doesn't appeal to me.

So I ordered The Elements of Harmony / My Little Pony Official Guidbook on Amazon and there are pages of the characters, words to the songs (except the theme song- I wish that was there)  and blurbs by the writers, director, etc.  The size of the book isn't bad either- it will fit in a messenger bag.

So I'm bringing that for signatures.  Just thought I would share that in case anyone else isn't sure what they want signed.  I think it will wind up being a great Pony and Pony Con keepsake and something that you can take from con to con if you can't get all the signatures you want at this one.

• Brohoof 1

$20 signing is pretty cheap. It's rare to find a popular program where people sign for under $20. A number of Star Treck actors charge $50.

Also keep in mind, that at a lot of cons, the con gets some of that. I don't know if that is the case for Babs, I wouldn't be surprised either way. As for Tara doing it differently I'm not surprised. She has a reputation as being a bit more difficult, hence why being near her home makes it a lot easier for Babs. She also got screwed at a past con and want's assurance that she will get her money. Which makes sense.

But that's how guests make the money. Generally their travel, lodging, and expenses at con are covered and the money they makle is from signings with a certain amount guaranteed. This can involve family and/or friends as well depending on the contract.

As to the 1500-2000 number of attendance it could go either way. I know the con that shal not be named said they expected thousands, but got way fewer (http://mlp.derpynews.com/editorial-las-pegasus-unicon-bad-moon-rising/) and they promoted themselves in much the same way. At least The Bay should be a bit more cost effective, especially as Tara dosen't have to travel and be lodged. There are also more bronies that can affordably get there, which will help a lot.

When it comes down to it, it's hard to judge. A lot of locals may have signed up, and having the mane 6 is a big draw. But a lot of regular con goers have most of the signatures so that aspect of the draw might mean less. A lot of locals may have signed up already, leaving fewer for later.

I just hope it goes well. Any con having difficulty hurts the fandom. But when cons go well it helps everyone.

Edited by PiquoPie

I'm sure this isn't a new idea but I have been sort of struggling with what it is that I will want to have signed.  For Disney I have a 9" all white vinylmation figure of Mickey and I have autographs on that.  But the only all white or blank pony I can find is the old style and that doesn't appeal to me.

So I ordered The Elements of Harmony / My Little Pony Official Guidbook on Amazon and there are pages of the characters, words to the songs (except the theme song- I wish that was there)  and blurbs by the writers, director, etc.  The size of the book isn't bad either- it will fit in a messenger bag.

So I'm bringing that for signatures.  Just thought I would share that in case anyone else isn't sure what they want signed.  I think it will wind up being a great Pony and Pony Con keepsake and something that you can take from con to con if you can't get all the signatures you want at this one.

To quote the Isley Brothers:

"It's your thing, do what you want to do

I can't tell you who to sock it to"

I've come away with signatures on DVDs, comic books, my BronyCon 2012 badge, a pocket sketchbook I've used for having commissions done, a Princess Celestia print, two Michelle Creber CDs, and a couple of my journals. (I had particular fun with this last at BronyCon 2012, having glued a Powerpuff Girls Christmas ornament inside the front cover. If I remember correctly, Tara Strong's jaw almost hit the floor when she saw it, and Lauren Faust was very much surprised by it as well.) After the fact, I acquired a couple of signed publicity photos and a card from Amy Keating Rogers

The way I see it, if it makes sense to you, if you don't mind carrying it around, if it'll hold the ink, and if it's not something that'll creep out the person with the pen, it's fair game. 

Edited by Doc Slide

$20 signing is pretty cheap. It's rare to find a popular program where people sign for under $20. A number of Star Treck actors charge $50.

Also keep in mind, that at a lot of cons, the con gets some of that. I don't know if that is the case for Babs, I wouldn't be surprised either way. As for Tara doing it differently I'm not surprised. She has a reputation as being a bit more difficult, hence why being near her home makes it a lot easier for Babs. She also got screwed at a past con and want's assurance that she will get her money. Which makes sense.

But that's how guests make the money. Generally their travel, lodging, and expenses at con are covered and the money they makle is from signings with a certain amount guaranteed. This can involve family and/or friends as well depending on the contract.

As to the 1500-2000 number of attendance it could go either way. I know the con that shal not be named said they expected thousands, but got way fewer (http://mlp.derpynews.com/editorial-las-pegasus-unicon-bad-moon-rising/) and they promoted themselves in much the same way. At least The Bay should be a bit more cost effective, especially as Tara dosen't have to travel and be lodged. There are also more bronies that can affordably get there, which will help a lot.

When it comes down to it, it's hard to judge. A lot of locals may have signed up, and having the mane 6 is a big draw. But a lot of regular con goers have most of the signatures so that aspect of the draw might mean less. A lot of locals may have signed up already, leaving fewer for later.

I just hope it goes well. Any con having difficulty hurts the fandom. But when cons go well it helps everyone.

I actually read this yesterday but came today to read about the Con disastor in Las Vegas via your link. 

OK I humbly totally and irrevocably apologize for questioning the $20 signing fee!!!!!!  Or asking for cash!!!!!  What a fiasco they went through. 

I have been in contact with Sonya who is heading up Babscon and I really believe she has a good head on her shoulders and will give us a great con.

I think this is one first time Con that we will be very glad we attended.  And if ANY of you ponies are on the fence, please come out and be a part of this process.  Just think, in 5 years it may be so huge that you won't be able to breathe or get into the panel discussons that you want to.  "We" have the best guests, an amazing amount of scheduled activities, what appears to be a very sizable participation in the vendor room and you will be in a hotel room in an Embassy Suites by the Bay!  I can't see where this can go wrong.

I can't see where this can go wrong.

1st)  full disclosure, I am the head of the writing track for Everfree Northwest and won’t be attending Babscon. But having worked dozens of conventions as both a paid worker and a volunteer I can say the following with confidence.

2nd) Cons always have problems. You may not see it. It might not matter to you, but if a con went completely smoothly it means they weren’t paying enough attention.

But I am glad I was able to help, I wish Babscon the best, and I hope you have a good time.

2nd) Cons always have problems. You may not see it. It might not matter to you, but if a con went completely smoothly it means they weren’t paying enough attention.

Or they where able to handle the problems quickly and efficiently so  none of the con participants even knew something had gone wrong. 

• Brohoof 1

1st)  full disclosure, I am the head of the writing track for Everfree Northwest and won’t be attending Babscon. But having worked dozens of conventions as both a paid worker and a volunteer I can say the following with confidence.

But I am glad I was able to help, I wish Babscon the best, and I hope you have a good time.

Thank you for your input.  I know that there are always behind the scenes issues.  So when I said I can't see where this could go wrong I meant in a broad sense I assure you!  No event gets pulled off without some degree of drama and having been a part of conventions (other than MLP) I also know that you can never please everyone.  But in general I expect this to be good just from what I have seen, read and communications I have had.

I hope your con is a great success too.  I have too much traveling booked already this year but I hope to attend more MLP cons next year.