Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Favor If You Will. :-)

RainbowGlass

Hello MLP community! I have spectated in some forums for a time and there is a matter at hand that perhaps with the help of each and every one of us, can wrap up. It is not an easy fix but it surly is possible.

The issue is this: we need to respect one another. 

Why should this matter? Why shouldn't it. As many who spend time on the internet know, individuals conflict with one another over many an issue. In comments, forums and blogs. As members of a forum site based from a show where the main idea is friendship, why does one see such conflicts here?

Every individual has the basic fundamental rights of being entitled to his or her opinion. However, if there is an opinion that you may not agree with, no matter how radical or subtle it is, you do not need to confront that opinion. Leave it be, report it if necessary but do not challenge it, even if it goes against every fiber in your being. Such as if you believe (A) and another believes (D) and challenges your belief in (A), respond in kindness, no anger or sarcasm, kindness and move on if you absolutely must reply. Otherwise ignore it. If you have indeed watched the show, you should know how to go about these types of situations.

The main idea here is to be friends, to respect each other and embrace our differences because frankly we are all different from the next. 

As a favor, not for me but for those who come into the Welcoming Plaza, for those who watch the show and understand its values and come seeking this community: continue to set a good example for them. I was so attracted to this community more than any other because of how kind, understanding and accepting its members are, its fans.

Let us keep it that way, so that there is a kind and wonderful community down the road that future Bronies can be a part of.

Thank you all.

:-)

• Brohoof 10

I think it is a good idea to be accepting of other's opinions. I don't agree with 50% of the posts on some of the topics, but I don't reply to everyone saying how much they are "wrong". An opinion can be changed, but it can't be proven wrong. The definition of an opinion is something stated that can't be proven wrong or right. When you use your opinions to fight somebody else's opinion, what good does that do?

Religion and politics are the most slammed things on here. I think everybody should just hush and allow others to be entitled to their own opinions, unless obviously, it is a debate topic, which in that case, BACK UP YOUR OPINIONS WITH FACTUAL EVIDENCE.

It is the power of the brohoof. It shows that somebody likes what you said. It doesn't need to be a thing where anybody gets dissed. When somebody calls my opinion wrong, it personally puts me in a sour mood and makes me a little scared to express my opinions.

• Brohoof 4

I agree with this. For some reason debate was morphed into some type of pissing match where one person seems to think he's right and he's right because he has facts that aren't really facts and doesn't use evidence to back up those intended facts. Reasonable debate comes from clear points with peer reviewed evidence with rebuttals based on other facts that have backing. A clear example of this was the recent debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, I'm not saying one was right and one was wrong (although I do side with Bill Nye on the point of contention) Bill Nye used facts that have been peer reviewed and tested for years, while Ken Ham didn't make sound arguments and continued to use circular arguments without addressing the points of Bill Nye.

• Brohoof 2

Well sometimes peoples opinions or just how they act upsets you or you simply give your opinion and others make a big deal of it sometimes it's hard to walk away and let the other person think they won, if someone posts an opinion you don't like simply ignore it is what we should do.

It's interesting to finally see someone speak out about this issue of ours, people say that a lot of Bronies have forgotten and abandoned the old creed of 'love and tolerance' and whilst I like to think that a lot of us still do hold those virtues in high regard I still believe that not enough of us I.e. the majority, do not respect this enough.

Like RainbowGlass said; we need to be able to respect and embrace each other's differences, we ought to celebrate and cherish the diversity of humankind that makes each one of us different cause at the end of the day how much fun would it be if we all thought the exact same way?

I understand that some people may feel vexed when they see someone else voicing an opinion that directly contradicts their own and it's not even a bad thing to try and challenge our perceptions from time to time. I've noticed that of all the places on the internet this one has shown to be one of the areas that tend to get less heated from the rest, why this is I'm not entirely sure but I think I have a hunch; it's because we communicate better than most people and because there's some form of understanding that exists between each and every one of us.

That's just the way I like to think of things and yeah it may just be wishful thinking but think about it for a moment. What's the one thing we all have in common? the one reason why we are all here? the answer; ponies. MLP was what brought us here in the first place for one reason or another and it's that same benefactor of ours that teaches us to love and tolerate each other, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, faith and of course ways of thinking. I'm not saying that something needs to be done about this or that any kind of action ought to be taken, no, I just think that from time to time we ought to spare a moment to remember that for all that the things that separate us from one another there is just as much common ground that we all share that brings us together.

• Brohoof 3

The OP mentioned setting a good example for people entering the Welcoming Plaza. Are there instances of obnoxious behavior on that board?

Not to MY knowledge no. So far everyone I've seen posting on there is very welcoming and hospitable, so it seems like things are fine there for the time being :)

• Brohoof 1

Not to MY knowledge no. So far everyone I've seen posting on there is very welcoming and hospitable, so it seems like things are fine there for the time being :)

Hmm.  Yeah, I can kind of appreciate his overall concerns, although it's probably just a matter of perspective.  Depending on where (on this forum) people spend the majority of their time, and the types of interactions they gravitate towards, they might have a very different notion of "normal" behavior compared to another member.

• Brohoof 2

I think the main problem in debates turning into "pissing matches" is that people have lost the ability to "agree to disagree". So everypony wants to get the last word in about their beliefs even if they aren't convincing anyone. If I didn't have the "agree to disagree" skill most of my conversations would end in throw-downs. And that's not very CharmingStallion of me :P

• Brohoof 2

Good words, OP. It's definitely very important, especially with all the news headlines lately of toxic behavior on the web.

It's also important to remember that the lesson is not "Man, those people are horrible", but also "Be wary of when you're the one being toxic." I'm sure so many people know lessons like this one on a literal level, but have a hard time calling them to attention when they're emotionally riled up.

• Brohoof 3