• I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I'll forgive Polsky for this one, since he wrote Rarity Takes Manehattan :D

rarity_2_by_xpesifeindx-d5q73vh.png

:lol:

Alright, for real.

I dunno how popular this one is going to be, but I'm guessing just a bit above Rainbow Falls.

Regardless, I dunno, given I haven't read through this topic yet.

I'll just give my take on it and mosy on along :D

Twilight Time: 7/10

One thing I thoroughly liked about this episode was how I saw a bit of Rarity in Sweetie Belle's actions :D

One thing I didn't like is how they seemed to be a bit overplayed at parts, though; I like the fact I think they all seem to be growing to act like their sisters/Rainbow Dash a little more each time I see them, but they weren't consistent this time around, which makes ghostie a sad little tree.

Lemme see...

This episode was...pretty generic, actually. No Rarity, no Applejack; no Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash, and the short time Pinkie was there was just for filler, it seems, and was completely random. I don't question how she got there though, it's Pinkie :lol:

I dunno...Sweetie Belle seemed to be the Saving Grace of this episode. I REALLY liked what I saw from her, naturally; and I don't give out over-critical reviews and I'm willing to let a lot of story problems slide, since I like the show itself for the ponies in it (which I love to pieces, the story is usually a 7 or 8/10 itself, just average, but the characters make it perfect for me) but one thing I have trouble overlooking is when an episode just bores me, as this one did, for the most part.

I just didn't think it was that interesting past Sweetie Belle. 

Sweetie Belle did an excellent job, though :D 

Actually, her performance here is probably the only reason I like this episode.

rarity_and_sweetie_belle_being_cute_by_s

Good job, Mini-Marshmallow! :D

Oh, and this might just be me, but did anyone think the CMCs voices sounded...different? :huh:

• Brohoof 2

I enjoyed this episode, I loved seeing the Cutie Mark Crusaders and I even enjoyed seeing DT and SS even though I can't stand them. I loved seeing the school ponies go full on "zombie" over Twilight. Seeing a burger place in Ponyville, that was so cool, it was like Ponyville's own Burger King or McDonald's. I loved seeing Twilight eating like that, I honestly found it funny she was eating like a pig as opposed to using manners while eating. Pipsqueak was adorable with his accent too. I loved seeing the CMC use skills, this episode had a good moral and good skills to learn. Also loved that Spike made nachos, that part was funny. All in all a good episode. 9/10!

That was a pretty good episode actually. It was really fun to watch and things went a little slightly less wrong than I expected(seriously, I almost thought all those foals would trash Twilight's house or something, but they didn't).

It was good for bringing up some things that really needed to be brought up, like somepony actually acknowledging that Twilight is a princess now and Sweetie Belle using magic- I mean, the CMC's other lessons were fun and all(and the potion-making was a nice bit of continuity in Apple Bloom's case) but seeing Sweetie Belle use magic was the definite highlight of that aspect of the episode.

Twilight was rather chill throughout the whole episode with the whole fame thing, as expected- she's come a long way from being annoyed by a party in her house if she allows a bunch of kids inside. I didn't find the kid characters to be anything special though, sure Pipsqueak was back which is cool I guess but all he did was just fawn over another princess again. Overall just a background pony hivemind really, which is really all they needed to be in this case I guess. Diamond Tiara and silver Spoon were being their usual bitchy selves though, sure we got to see one of their houses I guess but I can't say I really care all that much, using the CMC is something you would expect them to do and they did it.

Overall, a good episode with some nice bits of awesomeness here and there, I quite liked it. Not one of the best, but I'd say it's at least the best Cutie Mark Crusaders episode of the season so far.

9/10

• Brohoof 2

You're entering a dimension, a dimension not of sight or sound but of mind, next stop "Twilight Time", it's interesting that the cutie mark crusaders have such a close relationship with Twilight Sparkle, but then again they have gone to twilight for help before, so it does fit in the narrative. Diamond Tiara strikes again, every time I see I see her, I just want to fire my three pound cannon, and once again she manipulates the CMC to do her bidding, so they could be around Princess Twilight Sparkle, and improve their reputation, although the cutie mark crusaders were reluctant at first. It was good to see Pip again, still the precocious filly we last saw in season two, and as he and the other fillies became swallowed up by the presence of Equestrian royalty, which is quite a human trait, to be around someone famous, even a local celebrity is often seized by people who trying to show off, I know my family exploited my military status like the dickens, showing off my accolades with boastful enthusiasm, so I have been in the crusader's position before. Moreover, this was a good episode, the cutie mark crusaders got their first entry in the journal, and they did benefit from Twilight time, or private tutoring with one of Equestria's finest minds, one again cementing why I love Princess Twilight Sparkle, she may be disappointed but she would forgive and teach the crusaders all they want to know, so this is great development of Twilight and the CMC, who seemed to have retained their popularity despite their pupils' escapades, next week Fluttershy is back in "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" submitted for your approval.        

• Brohoof 2

I'll forgive Polsky for this one, since he wrote Rarity Takes Manehattan :D

rarity_2_by_xpesifeindx-d5q73vh.png

:lol:

Alright, for real.

I dunno how popular this one is going to be, but I'm guessing just a bit above Rainbow Falls.

Regardless, I dunno, given I haven't read through this topic yet.

I'll just give my take on it and mosy on along :D

Twilight Time: 7/10

One thing I thoroughly liked about this episode was how I saw a bit of Rarity in Sweetie Belle's actions :D

One thing I didn't like is how they seemed to be a bit overplayed at parts, though; I like the fact I think they all seem to be growing to act like their sisters/Rainbow Dash a little more each time I see them, but they weren't consistent this time around, which makes ghostie a sad little tree.

Lemme see...

This episode was...pretty generic, actually. No Rarity, no Applejack; no Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash, and the short time Pinkie was there was just for filler, it seems, and was completely random. I don't question how she got there though, it's Pinkie :lol:

I dunno...Sweetie Belle seemed to be the Saving Grace of this episode. I REALLY liked what I saw from her, naturally; and I don't give out over-critical reviews and I'm willing to let a lot of story problems slide, since I like the show itself for the ponies in it (which I love to pieces, the story is usually a 7 or 8/10 itself, just average, but the characters make it perfect for me) but one thing I have trouble overlooking is when an episode just bores me, as this one did, for the most part.

I just didn't think it was that interesting past Sweetie Belle. 

Sweetie Belle did an excellent job, though :D 

Actually, her performance here is probably the only reason I like this episode.

rarity_and_sweetie_belle_being_cute_by_s

Good job, Mini-Marshmallow! :D

Oh, and this might just be me, but did anyone think the CMCs voices sounded...different? :huh:

Maybe they're hitting puberty. Or there voice actresses seem to be growing.

• Brohoof 1

Diamond Tiara is always trying to make sure there is a problem for the cutie mark crusaders. :)

They did kind of get Diamond Tiara excited first though. B)

The episode wasn't the best but it was still good.

I can't wait to see what next week's episode will be about.

This was the first one I watched on TV. :lol: 

:okiedokielokie: Just have to figure out what I am going to do all this week until the next one.

Ah, the perils of having someone famous as a friend. Ask anyone who personally knows the show staff and most would vouch for the CMC in this case. Seriously people, quit swarming someone just because they're friends with a comic artist, storyboarder, singer or any staffer of MLP. It's disrespectful. Oh, and don't be that guy who basically opens up said staffer to the public without their consent. That's their workplace/agency's job, not yours. They're your friend, so they expect you to treat them as such.

As far as the episode's concerned, eeeeeeeee Sweetie Belle used magic! I'm sorry, but after One Bad Apple I was waiting to see some further progress and I got it. Not to mention friggin' PIPSQUEAK. <3 Also interesting to see Apple Bloom turn to potion making. Y'know, considering the last time she tried it. *cough* cutie pox *cough*. Oh sorry, must've laid it on to thick like that flower. Seriously, best part of the episode right off the bat. Thanks for not spoiling that joke, EW. :)

Huh, guess being cooped up in the library researching a mysterious box for so long makes you lose your manners after not eating a wholesome meal in a while. And by wholesome, I mean greasy. Haven't been to a McD's in a long time thanks to Supersize Me, definitely never will after this episode. XP

All in all, this was cute but it's out of my top five for the season. Not that it's bad, I just have different tastes is all. And not just in burgers.

I liked the episode, it was a bit slow to get to the conflict though. I love how Sweetie Belle was the primary cause of the conflict though, she was getting a little greedy kind of like her sister. I also think this episode provided some good development for the CMC, as they are now actively pursuing skills that WILL help them in the long run. I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I think DT and SS got a little bit of development, too. Twilight was showcasing her growth throughout the series in this episode by handling all of the situations maturely while still having little doses of skepticism throughout. All in all, it was a decent episode that didn't really accomplish a whole lot, but that's fine.

My prediction for Twilight's key was wrong though, it wasn't even a Twilight episode.  :(

I enjoyed this episode, but not as much as I did last week. Although short lived, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon actually appreciated the CMC just because Twilight was a princess, which I found ridiculous. My favorite CMC Sweetie Belle and she was really milking it there. After that whole apple explosion, they were that sad that they didn't realize that they were able to perform the things they were practicing.

How I would rate the episode: 8/10

Also Twilight's a pig which I found rather funny.

1. It addresses Twilight's royal title and shows that she's the same pony we know and love at the same time.
  2. The CMC aren't beating us over the head with the cutie mark thing, but at the same time still searching.
  3. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon actually have believable and complex motivations.
  4. Sweetie Belle uses magic.

This episode wins.  Just letting you know that.

• Brohoof 7

I thought it was a great episode! :P

Twilight was adorable as ever when she was eating. (This gif isn't from this episode, but come on! It's Twilight time, isn't it?)

178061%20-%20animated%20chewing%20twilig

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were awesome as ever as well. Seeing all of the other school ponies obsess over Twilight was awesome. They all have finally come to realize that she is best pony! ^_^

Anyways, this definitely has to be one of my favorite episodes of season 4 so far. I wasn't expecting much when I read the plot synopsis on the internet a few days back, but I have to say this episode was a pleasant surprise. I hope to see more of this quality in the future.

• Brohoof 1

Enjoyed the episode as always!  :)

Seeing the CMC pursue those particular talents is exciting. Apple Bloom's potion making stood out the most to me (especially the flower at the end), but they're all going strong.

Twilight's responses were just as I'd imagined. She's a caring guide for other ponies- at moments reminding me of Celestia- and as casual as ever. Her role as a princess/leader hasn't been focused on in a while, so it was wonderful to watch. And going all out at the fast-food eatery reminded me of her dancing in "Sweet and Elite". Being herself without worries. Love it  ^_^

Spike's famous nachos have finally appeared! They're Twilight's favorite food, after all (mentioned in her Hot Minute). Excellent touch adding that in  :squee:

I phrased the moral differently in my mind, but loved Sweetie Belle's take on it all the same. Noting that Twilight's special for who she is, not what she is; helping her find the magic she really wants to master. They touched on this theme in "Flight to the Finish" and felt great to see it internalized further.

Edited by Starlight Sky
  • Brohoof 2

Ok. Twilight Time. The beginning was REALLY boring for me. So boring I almost just gave up on the episode. But I decided to give the CMC a chance and it was Alright. The moral was not very relatable (who hangs out with a celebrity once a week?) but it was written pretty well and the resolution was OK. Spike was a little late with dem nachos tho! And I just couldn't get over the fact about how the CMC were being so nice to Diamond Tiara! She's your main enemy, goddamnit! That really just bothered me. I liked and disliked the fact that they acknowledged Twilight being royalty. Hell, in Rarity Takes Manehatten, they pushed her aside in the taxi/rickshaw line like any other citizen. And now all of a sudden they acknowledge her as this celebrity now? On the other hand, at least they did it now. Better late than never? It still does contradict with earlier episodes. All in all, Bad intro, decent episode, and a few problems. I'd give this one a 6.5/10. One on the lower half of my ranking list.

Edited by Cheesythumbs

so, they finally realized that the princess lives in a public library, in their town, despite having saved said town numerous times, and despite living their for almost 3 years, and despite having organized their winter wrap up. well uh.....about time? Also, with they way the call it "my special twilight time" I felt like someone needed to call an adult.

Pros

Pip is back

Twilight gains so much needed and long coming fame

Diamond tiara played to her archetype pretty well

The CMC did something other than destroy the town

Cons

It took them this long to finally have someone realize that twilight is royalty

Nothing really happens. Like at all. Episode was pretty bordering, not much amazing, but not much bad either.

7/10

• Brohoof 1

I thought it was a great episode! :P

Twilight was adorable as ever when she was eating. (This gif isn't from this episode, but come on! It's Twilight time, isn't it?)

img-2335568-1-178061%20-%20animated%20ch

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were awesome as ever as well. Seeing all of the other school ponies obsess over Twilight was awesome. They all have finally come to realize that she is best pony! ^_^

Anyways, this definitely has to be one of my favorite episodes of season 4 so far. I wasn't expecting much when I read the plot synopsis on the internet a few days back, but I have to say this episode was a pleasant surprise. I hope to see more of this quality in the future.

Oh gee, Twilight's eating... that was one hungry mare. :o

Makes you wonder just how much or little she eats in her own time...

• Brohoof 1

Solid episode, but not terribly memorable. Nothing wrong with it per se, just nothing to write home about.

Some nice details:

Twilight's plan of the mystery box

Spike's "Come On!"

Twilight's table manners

Overall I'd say 6,5/10

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

It was a good episode, but it seemed like it would have worked better earlier in the season. After everyone ignoring Twilight's princess status all season long, it just seems weird like everypony just suddenly remembered/realized the fact that she is royalty. I would still like an episode about Twilight getting treated differently by her friends (or, even better, having them be jealous), but, that too now seems like it would be awkward.

Aw well. Liked seeing the CMC actually be good at something! I always thought Apple Bloom would gravitate toward potion making, but Sweetie Belle's magic was a surprise. She's actually really good at it!

Hey look! Twilight is a princess this episode!

/jerk mode

Honestly, I think that this episode was great and I loved it. I don't see anything patently stupid with it after my first watch of it and I had fun with it. I think it would have been grating if it involved the adult ponies, but with the foals acting like that, I have no problem. And I think that Twilight handled the situation pretty well.

I can't really find the things I usually complain about episodes in this one.

I'll watch it again after my ISP decides I can have internet again and I can leave the 3G zone, but I don't think my mind will change.

Alrighty, "Twilight Time", boy oh boy this was a fun episode!  I'll start by saying that I think it's safe to say that the ridiculous streak of awesome episodes that started with "Rarity Takes Manehattan" has officially come to an end, but really that's not a bad thing.  Season 2 had streaks of its own, and that's arguably the best season of MLP so far.  Every great show, in my honest opinion, achieves a balance in quality; sure you'll have great episodes, maybe even a run of great episodes, but those still need to be balanced out by good or average episodes as well from time to time.  For one, people are human and can only produce so many phenomenal episodes, and two, episodes of good or average quality give the viewer a way to more clearly separate the good from the great, and further highlight what makes the truly exceptional episodes so very, very good.  But enough about that, let's jump into the review itself; thankfully this might actually end up being one of my shortest reviews in awhile, so ya'll shouldn't have to read a book by me today like usual, yay!!!  :yay:

First, let's start by covering the Cutie Mark Crusaders (and just the CMC, no need to separately cover them all for this one).  Honestly I gotta say that this was probably the most well-balanced CMC episode in awhile in terms of screen time and contributions to the story and the group's actions/decisions.  I guess Sweetie Belle did probably get the most screen time out of the three (which you won't hear me complaining about seeing as in a lot of recent CMC episodes in Season 3 and earlier in Season 4 she's been really playing second fiddle to Scootaloo and Apple Bloom), but they were all pretty well balanced all the same in terms of screen time.  I have started noticing a pattern in terms of roles filled by each member in a CMC episode (and these do vary by episode): Sweetie Belle was her usual adorable self, but here she also was the primary mover in the group and primarily responsible for all the trouble they got in: Scootaloo was also adorable and got some good jokes in there (her reaction to the school-ponies-paparazzi photos was hilarious  ^_^), but also was kind of the secondary mover, going along for the most part with Sweetie Belle's ideas without questioning them too much or contributing any of her own: and finally Apple Bloom was the passive conscience of the group who kept chiming in that what they were doing probably wasn't a good idea, but kept getting ignored for the most part by SB and Scoots and going along with them all the same.  All of them did just fine, were adorable at times and funny at others, and exactly what we hope for and expect out of the CMC at this point.

As with a lot of CMC episodes, the lesson, while good for all ages, was especially good for younger viewers closer to the CMC in age.  It's especially easy for kids (though adults can easily make this same mistake too) to latch onto popular or famous figures and use their association with them to gain favor, respect, or influence among their peers.  Not only does this undermine good character and a sound work ethic, but it's also inconsiderate to the figure one's latching onto, especially if he/she actually considers you to be a friend, because in that regard then you're doing nothing but abusing your friendship with them.  All in all, the episode pretty much got across that celebrity worship, whether distant or personal, isn't healthy for anyone and to engage in it speaks poorly of one's character.  Good lesson for all, including the CMC in the show, even if it wasn't delivered all too seriously. 

I've heard some people saying that the CMC sounded different (and I will admit that AB definitely sounded a little more deep-voiced from the start of the season, but hey, that's what happens when VAs go through puberty), but here I honestly didn't hear it.  Sure Sweetie didn't get in quite as many Sweetie-squeaks as usual, but for the most part they all sounded the same to me.  IDK, maybe I'll hear it more upon a rewatch.  Whatever the case is, it didn't take away from the episode itself.  Also, I really, really liked seeing the CMC getting lessons on practical, day-to-day activities that may have to do with their cutie marks and future talents from Twilight.  The drastic progress they exhibited at the end (I'm talking more the progress they showed right after they goofed up in front of their classmates, not the stuff at the very end) was a little unbelievable, but seeing as this was a pretty silly episode it was easy to overlook.  Overall, the CMC had a fun episode with some minor but lovely character growth; very much in the same vein of "Ponyville Confidential" in my opinion, though considerably less serious than that episode in terms of its lesson.

Next, let's cover Princess Twilight Sparkle.  For the first third of the episode I was worried she wasn't going to get nearly enough screen time (which would've been just plain silly given the title of the episode is "Twilight Time"  ^_^), but she ended up having quite a lovely episode as, basically, the episode's deuteragonist.  I loved seeing her openly welcoming the CMC and other fillies into her home and offering to teach them what she could, such a stark contrast to the introverted loner that she was when the show began.  I feel like this illustrates two things: (1) how much she's come to call Ponyville home now that she's been there so long and grown so close to so many of its residents, and (2) how she's taken it upon herself to try giving herself more and more responsibilities (which it seems Princess Celestia has largely left up to her own discretion for the time being, which makes sense seeing as she is new to this princess-thing, not to mention there are two perfectly capable +1,000 year old princesses to take care of most state affairs while Twilight gets used to her new role) as a result of her royal title, in this case, trying to spread in a small way some of what she knows to her new subjects.  On top of that, her humility and down-to-earth attitude was a very nice highlight of her maturity in filling this new role, though I think it also partly bespeaks how Twilight's still not entirely used to the role in general nor thinking of herself as a princess.  All in all, Twilight was mature, sensible, at times adorable and witty (that's how I'd best describe the humor she displayed here, I think), and had a pretty darn wonderful turn in one of her best deuteragonist roles yet.

Only disappointment was that she didn't end up getting her key/element embodiment here, but oh well, that's fine.

Lastly let's cover the supporting characters, which in this case I'd say were namely the school colts and fillies of Ponyville Elementary, headlined by Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.  Well no surprise, those two were unpleasant as usual (though oddly enough they did make that strangely nice offer to the CMC at the beginning (something that Sweetie Belle herself admitted) to hang out with them if they got to go to Manehattan, even if they were jerks about them not getting to go).  I did like getting to see more of them here than we do in most episodes, just because it's fun trying to get a sense of the subtle differences between DT and Silver Spoon (and trust me, they're there), but overall they were just their usual, jerky selves, which is fine seeing as that's the role they've always filled.  The other classmates were pretty hilarious just because, when you've got a roving drove of ponies following someone all over the place, you get to see all kinds of physical humor (along with some adorable reactions, particularly when Twilight stumbled upon all of them outside the fast food joint).  Some of the reactions, especially from Pipsqueak (and let me just add that it was AWESOME getting to see Princess Luna's #1 fan return, in a speaking role no less  :D), were hilarious, and the gawking that all the colts and fillies were exhibiting throughout was pretty darn funny.  The Philip J. Fry pony was pretty darn hilarious as well, and it was cool getting to see ponies return like Pipsqueak and Featherweight.  Besides those guys, Pinkie and Spike both had pretty funny cameos.  Oh, and Spike shall henceforth be known as Spike, the Nacho King (or Spike, El Nacho King if you prefer B)).

I don't really have anything to say about this one beyond what I already have.  It was just a fun episode with some lighthearted comedy, CMC shenanigans, CMC and Twilight adorableness, and a whole lot of laughs along with a pretty good message, even if the whole thing wasn't taken too seriously.  Very nice "good" episode for Season 4, very nice indeed, and like I said earlier, nothing wrong with having a more average episode like this one every once in awhile.  Well done DHX and Dave Polsky, well done indeed.  

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1