S04:E15 - Twilight Time  

254 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Great after we've seen how Sweetie Belle can use magic in this episode, fanboys are gonna squawk even more about how Sweetie Belle has actually learned to use magic and bemoan the fact that Scootaloo can't fly, as if it were the sole defining trait of her character.

Ah well Scootachicken is fun while it still lasts

1332535622_9662%20-%20apple_bloom%20chic

Also Twilight was very nice and understanding in this episode to the CMCs. She wasn't just a role model, but the way she helped them grow and learn privately and personally made her feel like a big sister akin to Applejack, Rainbow and Rarity.  Now if only Twilight would be a better role model and big sister to Spike. 

Edited by Cwanky
  • Brohoof 3

Anyway, this episode was alright. I mean, it could always be worse. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this one, in all honesty. I gave it a 7/10 but if you know me, 70% is a C and a C isn't good. I liked it enough. But I didn't love it.

I'm not sure that the 1-10 rating scale and the A-F letter grading scale should correspond in the way you stated here. I would think that, on the 1-10 rating scale, 1 might be "terrible", 5 "average", and 10 "awesome". I would also think that, to the extent that one would try to use the A-F grading scale for episodes, that F might be "terrible", C "average", and A "awesome".

With this in mind, I might consider a 7/10 "above average", yet you say it corresponds to a C, which I might consider "average", and then you say it "isn't good". It seems to me that if your correspondence between the 1-10 rating scale and the A-F grading scale is true, then fully half of the 1-10 rating scale would correspond to F's, and so would be unlikely to be fully utilized, thus making the 1-10 rating scale a lot less meaningful.

Of course, I don't really know what your standards are for your different ratings. Thinking about your post here led me to think about the standards and meaningfulness of poster's ratings of episodes in general, so I made a topic on that here if you (or anyone else reading this) are interested.

Title: Twilight Time

Air Date: February 22nd, 2014

Synopsis: The Cutie Mark Crusaders are thrilled when Twilight offers to help them with their studies. However, problems arise when the girls realize they can use their relationship with Twilight to increase their popularity.

I have mixed feels for this episode: on the one hoof, this will star the best pony and the Cutie Mark Crusaders; on the other hoof, Dave Polsky.

Crap i forgot that was dave polsky.

So what if it was dave?  Like what in the episode made you groan?  My first reaction was "wait a min.. this is suppose to be a twilight episode... THIS IS A CMC episode! GRRRRRr....oh wait I love the cmc."

Hell pinkie pie was funny in this episode.   Everyone who got used, including spike was enjoyable.

I mean sure this episode didn't grab my feels as well as pinkie apple pie, or prinkie pride,

but like everything worked.

If i had to pick at something

sweetie bell and scoots ended up over shadowing Apple bloom.

but that's the nittiest pick that ever nitted a  pick.

Great after we've seen how Sweetie Belle can use magic in this episode, fanboys are gonna squawk even more about how Sweetie Belle has actually learned to use magic and bemoan the fact that Scootaloo can't fly, as if it were the sole defining trait of her character.

Ah well Scootachicken is fun while it still lasts

img-2335894-1-1332535622_9662%20-%20appl

Also Twilight was very nice and understanding in this episode to the CMCs. She wasn't just a role model, but the way she helped them grow and learn privately and personally made her feel like a big sister akin to Applejack, Rainbow and Rarity.  Now if only Twilight would be a better role model and big sister to Spike. 

I'm happy sweetie bell could use magic.Crippling scoots and sweetie bell just to please the fans would straight up piss me off.

I wasn't sure how twilight was gonna handle the cmc sitution but

we got teacher twilight ^^.  Like......Finally!  I'm a little bummed she's so awesome at it now, (tiny nit pick),

i was hopping she'd stumble at first,

but hay i'm just happy to see her in the role.  I hope they don't red con it later, now that it's established she's good at it.

Wow, opened right up addressing Sweetie's magic, yet another long-term discussed fandom topic.

Despite not having Best Pony as the focus as Flight to the Finish did, I actually enjoyed this episode as a CMC episode more than Flight to the Finish. Has nothing to do with how the lack of Dash/Scoots bonding in FthF, despite the numerous opportunities they had to have it, brought its' impact down for me. This felt more like a genuinely interesting CMC episode with more new content and scenarios than Flight to the Finish. To be honest, the Equestria Games thing tends to make episodes duller and more predictable, due to the ongoing storyline continuity, so I've found its' episodes to not have as many opportunities to do new and creative things with storylines.

We got to see old characters again, new concepts for the CMC, new interactions with Twilight that we've only ever really seen when she went Psycho on them back in season 2, Diamond Tiara being a FUCKING BITCH ARGGHHH GO AWAY AND STOP ABUSING YOUR BUTLER in new ways than before, which for me is good because she gets so tediously obnoxious beyond just her attitude when she never does anything on screen other than the same CMC targeting. To that end, yes please, Sweetie, master levitation so you can teach Bitchara some manners.

post-4006-0-44352300-1393100992_thumb.png

I also like this episode because fast food is now canon and it's glorious you get to see a non-sister of one of the CMC interacting a lot with not just the CMC, but some of the other younger ponies as well. Naturally it was nice to FINALLY see Tiara put in this kind of scenario as well, where she's seduced into the fangirl mode over the CMC.

Eh, that's about it for now. Not finished the episode, but I wanted to post this now.

• Brohoof 5

Oh hey, time to post a few things.

Oh god, this is the zombie episode? Also, Twilight is essentially every college student ever.

BhGrlqeCcAA81zN.png

Spike makes enough nachos to feed the brony fandom.

BhGuk4gCYAAQaSq.png

Also, one of the fillies had a very similar appearance to Fry from Futurama: BhGmYxjCYAASIlD.png

I though this episode was aight, but nothing too out of the ordinary. It did reaffirm that Sweetie Belle is de facto leader of the CMC, and that she no longer squeaks like she used to in Season 2. Dat Puberty tho.

• Brohoof 1

I liked the episode for the most part!

Not thr all time most exciting episode, but the many moments for the epsiode like the CMC learning and improving more, more returning characters like Pipsqueak, and twilight becoming like a role model to the CMC similar to celestia makes this episode worth while!

I liked this episode. Not only did Dave explore and address Sweetie Belle's magic, but having Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon actually try to suck up to the Cutie Mark Crusaders was really surprising to me. Twilight eating in that out of nowhere fast food place was funny and adorable, seeing the Cutie Mark Crusaders in this episode was entertaining, and their classmates wanting to hang out with Twilight while giving the CMC a lot of attention was... funny in a way.

Anyway, my final judgement on this episode is a solid 10/10. If you haven't seen it yet, go check it out!

Also: The faces in this episode, priceless. :P

6.gif

Not sure how I feel about this episode. Twilight is my least fave of the mane 6 after all(tied with Pinkie Pie actually).

What I first noticed was how  Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon reacted to the CMCs saying how they spend time with Twilight. Yet, they must've known that Twilight lived in the huge Treebrary in town. Not to mention just seeing her walk around with her friends in previous episodes. The way they reacted, was as if they had never seen Twilight before. They genuinely seemed interested in meeting Princess Twilight.  But meanwhile, they could've knocked on her door at pretty much anytime and I"msure Twilight would've let them in. I see that as a bit of a plot hole...IMO.

I'm not a huge CMC fan...so it wasn't really my fave episode.It also seems DT and SS may have grown up a bit and stopped with the name calling and such...even though they're still a little mean/unfair.

But it also looks like Sweetie Belle is actually learning magic now. I also seen some character development between the other CMCs. Maybe this is putting them on track for their cutie marks? I don't know.

Overall....I give the episode a 7/10

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I've no doubt said before that Cutie Mark Crusader episodes are notorious for being "meh" at best and this is no exception to that rule. However, there are a few things that this episode did do right that I will give them credit for.

For starters, someone finally acknowledges Twilight's transformation and her new status as a princess, which considering we're over halfway through the season it took long enough. Also, while she does play kind of secondary role here, the scenes with Twilight are the best part of the episode like the adorkable scene where she pigs out at the burger joint and the scene near the end where she tells off Diamond Tiara and all the other kids for only being there because of Twilight's status. I will also admit to laughing when DT and SS squeed like a bunch of fangirls at Twilight. I truly thought they were going to straight up glomp her. 

Besides those moments however, it hits many of the same problems that a majority of CMC episodes suffer from. The intended aesop is pretty much spoiled in the first five minutes when they remark that DT is getting all this credit for things she didn't do. The plot gets a tad predicable at times and when Pipsqueak pretty much spilled the beans on the entire conflict, I reacted with "Seriously?" Not only that, but nearly everyone single filly and colt in this episode is at fault here. Sweetie Belle's started this conflict by initially trying to use their relationship with Twilight to show up DT and SS, and then she just kept digging herself deeper and deeper. DT and SS as antagonists has long overstayed it's welcome, not to mention that they're at fault here cause they blabbed about "Twilight Time" in order to boost their own popularity at the CMC's expense, and everyone pretty much went with the mob mentality and didn't once consider the consequences of their actions. They're kids I know, but when they started chanting for Twilight Time and drooling like a pack of zombies, my suspense of disbelief was stretched to its breaking point.

I will hand it to Applebloom and Scootaloo for being the voices of reason this episode. They knew pretty much from the get-go that this was a very bad idea and it was only because of Sweetie's reassurance that they went along with it as long as they did. Despite what I said previously, I do infact like the intended moral and how it was achieved. In the end the CMC realized their mistakes and were willing to suffer the consequences, and it was their sincerity that made Twilight choose to forgive them in spite of it all.       

• Brohoof 2

is it just me, or did Sweetie Belle sound a little different? Overall it was a great episode.

I think her voice has gotten a little deeper. It stands to reason since Claire Corlett is only 14 years old, making her about 12 when Season 1 was first produced.

• Brohoof 3

I'm mixed on this one. I felt it was good, but had flaws. Twilight was treated as a Mary Sue, Plot was not that great, and Diamond Tiara.

Would you be willing to elaborate on Twilight? I didn't at all have the impression she was being treated as a Mary Sue. Any attention adorned upon her either left her bemused or went unnoticed. Nothing in the episode smacked of Twilight depicted as utterly perfect and/or universally beloved; in fact, I think the latter was subverted by Twilight's adorkable tendencies, e.g., eating a bunch of food like a college kid even though she's technically a princess. She possesses none of the pomp and circumstance one would expect of royalty.