Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Horror Movies: Better in America?

Fire_Fly

With the movie 'Silent House' being released in theaters soon, I feel the need to ask this to everypony that likes horror movies:

Which are better? American horror movies or Imported horror movies?

Most American-made horror movies aren't interesting anymore, and I really like the original Italian 'Silent House' movie, filmed in one extended take. :ph34r:

Imported films are usually crappy rip-offs of films that were already crappy to begin with, and in this case is from a genre filled mostly with crap!

Was that too much crap?

Other way around. A lot of American horror movies are crappy rip offs of foreign films. The ring, the grudge, let me in, the aforementioned silent house, and plenty more.

All we Americans can come up with is "bloody slasher film 8". Not saying we don't have a few good originals, but in general, Americans can't make good horror for shit.

Actually, I will say that the American version of The Ring was a little better than the original Japanese Ringu. And I liked The Ring 2, although I havent seen Ringu 2 so I can't comment on that. I have seen Rasen (the original Ringu sequel) but it sucked so horribly it was retconned out of the continuity and replaced by Ringu 2. It did have a nice sex scene, though.

• Brohoof 1

Japanese horror movies are "better" because they are culturally different.

different =/= better

Other way around. A lot of American horror movies are crappy rip offs of foreign films. The ring, the grudge, let me in, the aforementioned silent house, and plenty more.

That's what I was saying...

Maybe I misread the OP but I thought "imported" was referring to foreign films ripped off by Americans.

different =/= better

True, but they're better because Japanese horror is based on psychological stuff and playing tricks on you, while American horror is "oh shit, some dude in a mask jumped out! Oh god, he has a knife? Why was I walking around the house naked? Oh, look at all my blood! *gurgle* *gasp* *die*"

True, but they're better because Japanese horror is based on psychological stuff and playing tricks on you, while American horror is "oh shit, some dude in a mask jumped out! Oh god, he has a knife? Why was I walking around the house naked? Oh, look at all my blood! *gurgle* *gasp* *die*"

True, but even with the psychological horror aspect, the movies usually end up overall very bad.

American horrors are indeed just as bad if not worse :P

True, but even with the psychological horror aspect, the movies usually end up overall very bad.

American horrors are indeed just as bad if not worse :P

Depends on you're preferences, I guess, I like a lot of them. I've never been scared by a movie, but I still like watching good psychological horror.

I think that both categories have created some very good horror movies, and they have also created some bad ones...I find it is usually down to the personal opinion.

Some people may enjoy the imported films as they offer something a little different to the table...

and some may enjoy the American films as they feel a little more familiar and there are easier access, and perhaps they have grown up with such things..

as for me...I do not like horror movies ♥

When I mean "better" I mean it'll more easily scare you because we frail non-ponies don't like unknown and frankly disturbing stuff. The Japanese are good at tat because Japanese people scare me.

The Blair Witch Project

The Shining

The Silence of the Lambs

Need I say more?

I didn't say we didn't have some good horror, only that the majority is more shock value than actual horror. And shock value really only works once :/

I didn't say we didn't have some good horror, only that the majority is more shock value than actual horror. And shock value really only works once :/

Like Saw, which was a great movie.

So just wondering, what does this movie do to the scale of American made Vs. Foreign since it could technically be seen as horror/thriller :P

I think most imported (assuming they're original) are pretty creative and are full of things to think about. I used 'Silent House' as an example because the original Italian-made version was shot in one long, continuous take with no camera cuts, almost like a home movie. It might not be the best quality, but the imagination isn't totally watered down with over-the-top special effects and loud noises.

I find that american horror movies really lost a lot of what made them special and instead replaced them with mindless scenes of sex,violence,cheap scares and shock value. Take a look at Japanese films or those made by Guillermo Del Toro, those films use the ambience and develop a story overtime to create the horror.

(edited)

The Blair Witch Project

The Shining

The Silence of the Lambs

Need I say more?

These

Movies > Games

Psychological horror > Gore/shock horror

That's all I have to say.

I agree. Edited by Jokuc

So just wondering, what does this movie do to the scale of American made Vs. Foreign since it could technically be seen as horror/thriller :P

Personally, I think that'd be considerably less scary and more amusing. The camera quality, I can live with, and from the looks of it, there was even the faintest traces of a subplot. On the other hand, the overall feel of the trailer made me think of a horror movie spoof, rather than an actual horror movie. It'd make a pretty entertaining film in American theaters, even if only for its comedic value.

Nice Signature, by the way; BIG fan of Edgar Allen Poe.

A lot of American horror movies are garbage, much like a lot of foreign movies are garbage. There are also a bunch of great ones too though. I like Japanese horror movies, like Noroi and Occult, which are actually both by the same guy.

Yup, I must say, what's wrong with you people.

American horror movies either are: Zombies jump out of nowhere at unexpected times (Music reaches it's climax and stop. wait 1 second. Zombie. ALWAYS) or extremely gorey thingys wich only cause disgust.

Japanese on the other hand are the kind of thing that makes you say "Make it stop! Make it stop!". I simply can't watch them.

I'm at a point now where I don't think the origin of a horror film has anything to do with how good of a horror film it is. I suppose the highest amount of good ones I've seen have come out of South Korea. But, really, I've also seen some bad ones from South Korea, and Japan, and Italy, and Germany and other places. Bad horror is kind of universal. Haha. You really just have to do a lot of digging to find good horror. There are lots of good American horror films. Paranormal Activity 1 and 3 were very good in my opinion. I didn't like the second one so much. It didn't feel scary.

But this is also the trouble with discussing where the best horror comes from. It's all subjective. Not everyone finds the same things scary. I find asian ghost films to be generally creepy, but other friends of mine tend to think they're stupid. Or, for me, the films about violent subhumans (The Descent and films like that), while I do think they can be scary and intense, never have long lasting effects on me. I don't know why, but for some reason, that kind of horror just doesn't get under my skin as more supernatural ones do. I guess it all matters what you want out of a horror movie or what personally scares you the most.