• Loyalty
    • Trust
    • Kindness
    • Laughter
    • Generosity
    • Understanding
    • Support

Hey everypony c:

So a huge theme in MLP is, obviously, friendship!

I was wondering what you all personally value in a friend and what you think is most important. I included the Elements of Harmony (minus magic) but I believe there are many more qualities too look for in a companion. Personally, I think the most important quality, although its hard to choose, is understanding.

The world would be a much more free and open place with a little more understanding! Many a pony feel like they need to hide and bottle certain things up because they believe no one can make the effort the understand something they don't necessarily face with themselves.

I've spoken to many troubled and distressed souls just about to explode from all the problems they've been holding back! It's sad. This thread is all about friendship so if anypony needs a new friend PM me ^-^

If y'all got any more friendship qualities you want me to add to the poll let me know  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Generosity and honesty.

A true friend who is willing to do anything for you for the best or to make you happy, and a friend who will be honest with you and wil be reliable with secrets and comfort makes those my top qualities I'm looking for in friends.

Best part, I consider myself those two traits. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Honesty and Generosity.

It's one thing where you're completely honest with each other, but willing to do anything to help benefit each other and to make each other smile is something that warms my heart. :)

• Brohoof 1

I think it's hard to decide what I value the most, because I think that I value all of them the same, but if I had to choose I would say loyalty. I chose this because I think there is no thing that's more painful than a friend betraying you.

• Brohoof 2

Generosity and honesty.

A true friend who is willing to do anything for you for the best or to make you happy, and a friend who will be honest with you and wil be reliable with secrets and comfort makes those my top qualities I'm looking for in friends.

Best part, I consider myself those two traits. ;)

Those are great traits to have! c: A friend that will do anything for you is rare, and very special

I'm going to have to go with loyalty.

A loyal friend will always be there, good choice

Honesty and Generosity.

It's one thing where you're completely honest with each other, but willing to do anything to help benefit each other and to make each other smile is something that warms my heart. :)

That is heart-warming :) Generous people are hard to find nowadays, unfortunately

Honesty and Loyalty

Friends/significant others should always be honest with each other and always have your back.

Agreed

Loyalty without any discussion. And it's not because i like Rainbow Dash, it's because friendship can't exist without loyalty. Betrayal is the main thing what can ruin friendship

Eeyup! A betrayal can be unforgivable 

• Brohoof 2

Understanding. It is necessary for a friendship to start at all.

If a friend don't understand, he/she will fuck up..... >_>

I think there is one element you forgot:

Magic

magic is not necessary for friendship. Do your closest friends throw spells? x3

Edited by A CrayZ Cat
  • Brohoof 3

This is a good question, as far as I know, I can't think of any virtue above another, these values are simply too great to place greater ambivalence. The elements all have their needs, loyalty, honesty, kindness, laughter, generosity and maybe magic, now as a civilian it was hard to relate to anyone, most people I knew were hormonal fools showing off who was the bigger idiot, then I joined the navy, suddenly I was not shy, I wanted to be speak and be around people, who in turn wanted to be around me, for we all went through the same hardships in training, there are very few people I would trust with my life, and for the sailors and marines I knew it was an honour.

There is no single friendship value I cherish more than the rest, they are all too important to me, that is why I came to the herd, it is so satisfying to be around people who think about what it means to be a friend, and would do their hardest to make it happen, for awhile people including my own family just used me, and have lost most of my trust, this fandom is like extended family, is my new dawn on this mortal plain, so I can say all values of what makes a friendship great is clear and present, in our rhetoric and story, seek them out.  

Edited by Emperor Peter
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's hard to decide what I value the most, because I think that I value all of them the same, but if I had to choose I would say loyalty. I chose this because I think there is no thing that's more painful than a friend betraying you.

I've had it happen, its painful and makes you feel worthless. Loyalty is certainly important.

I think there is one element you forgot:

Magic

Yes, I mentioned that I didn't include it.... And pretty much 100% because of what A CrayZ Cat said xD Can you do magic? TEACH ME YOUR WAYS WISE ONE 

Understanding. It is necessary for a friendship to start at all.

If a friend don't understand, he will fuck up..... >_>

magic is not necessary for friendship. Do your closest friends throw spells? x3

Yes! When people don't understand I'm like "baiii"

• Brohoof 2

I say trust. It basically encompasses all other aspects.

• Trust is being honest with people. Whether you're telling them they have spinach in their teeth or working out a rough patch in your friendship.
  • Loyalty is trusting someone to be there for you and having your back when you need them most. It's also the same thing as support. You trust your friends to support you as they trust you.
  • Kind people are trustworthy. You can trust in them not to judge you or ridicule your ideas. It goes hand in hand with understanding.
  • Laughter! You can always count on a good friend to laugh at your stupid jokes or at least humor you. In return, you can trust your friends to make you laugh as well! Either just for fun or when you need it most.
  • Good friends are generous and you can always trust a good friend to be generous. Low on cash? They'll loan you. Maybe they ask you out to dinner and pay! Maybe they'll buy you a couple of drinks when you go out dancing or whatever. Basically, a good friend can be trusted to get you out of a financial jam as best as they can.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is... without trust, you don't have a friendship. Trust makes the playing field equal. There is no, "You're a loyal friend but you're not as generous".

tl;dr A good friend is trustworthy. A trustworthy friend is no more and no less equal parts honest, loyal, kind, funny, and generous. <3 Therefore, trust is the most important.

• Brohoof 3

• Honesty-A good friend won't go and tell others everything you say. They know to keep secrets. They also are honest with you, and aren't constantly lying.

Loyalty- Good friends don't ditch, or ignore other friends. They're there for them when they need them.

Laugher- Good friends know how to have a good time, and they usually have a good sense of humor. They make you feel better, and they're nice to be around.

Kindness- Nobody wants to be friends with an aggressive jerk, now do they?

• Brohoof 1

For me, it's understanding. Growing up with autism, I would always have people look at me weirdly whenever I acted up and not understand my condition. Because of this, my siblings always felt like my closest friends since they were around my age and have understanding of my condition and have learned to adapt to it.

• Brohoof 1

Trust, 

Has to be, if you can't trust your friend to be there for you when you need them, if you can't trust your friend not to stab you in the back, if you can't trust your friend to be your friend... well then I guess you have no friendship... 

• Brohoof 1

Honesty, since it's the closest to what I believe is the key to friendship; integrity.

I need friends who not only speak truth and what they mean, but acts according to their word as well and isn't afraid to stand up for what they believe in. Integrity is a mark of strength, honesty, and loyalty all in one.

• Brohoof 1

I chose trust, but I think understanding is important too. My best friend is from the middle east and everybody always calls him a terrorist based on his background and his religion. I am his friend because he understands what it feels like to not fit in, and he understands my general personality. I trust that he won't do anything crazy, and I know that he trusts me. If he ever asked if I was a brony, I'd probably tell him the truth. So I guess there is a little honesty there too.

Edited by Judgement
  • Brohoof 1

Do your closest friends throw spells? x3

Oh my god...that will be Soooo Awesooome!!! :wub: :wub:

• Brohoof 1

I can't think of any virtue above another, these values are simply too great to place greater ambivalence. 

Thank you for your in depth reply C: We definitely see eye to eye; its hard to choose them when they're all so important. Though it is interesting to hear from the people who favor certain aspects

So I guess what I'm trying to say is... without trust, you don't have a friendship. Trust makes the playing field equal. There is no, "You're a loyal friend but you're not as generous".

tl;dr A good friend is trustworthy. A trustworthy friend is no more and no less equal parts honest, loyal, kind, funny, and generous. <3 Therefore, trust is the most important.

Interesting reply :D Do you think its not possible to have a friend that you don't trust? I find I have a good amount of friends, but there is only one I really trust. Maybe I just have trust problems xD I see what you mean though

• Laugher- Good friends know how to have a good time, and they usually have a good sense of humor. They make you feel better, and they're nice to be around.
  • Kindness- Nobody wants to be friends with an aggressive jerk, now do they?

Maybe I should stop being an aggressive jerk xD I like that you included laughter, not many think its so important

Edited by ~Glimmer Bloom~

For me, it's understanding. Growing up with autism, I would always have people look at me weirdly whenever I acted up and not understand my condition. Because of this, my siblings always felt like my closest friends since they were around my age and have understanding of my condition and have learned to adapt to it.

I too chose understanding. Many people lack this skill but its so important! Nowadays its like we need to be taught these things that should just be wired into us all.

I chose trust, but I think understanding is important too. My best friend is from the middle east and everybody always calls him a terrorist based on his background and his religion. I am his friend because he understands what it feels like to not fit in, and he understands my general personality. I trust that he won't do anything crazy, and I know that he trusts me. If he ever asked if I was a brony, I'd probably tell him the truth. So I guess there is a little honesty there too.

That's awful :( I've seen similar treatment to students from my school. Kudos to you for having super duper awesome friendship skills ^-^ and you should tell him, if he asks. Honesty and trust! Right? 

Chillness

Basically, someone who doesn't hold strong opinions, and doesn't flip shit at the littlest things.

xD !! The cool way of saying understanding? Well I guess it's a little different. I could add it if you want

• Brohoof 2

Honesty and Loyalty

Friends/significant others should always be honest with each other and always have your back.

Pretty much this. Getting lied to and backstabbed are probably the worst things to ever happen.

• Brohoof 2