Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Brony on Dr. Drew's Hooked: My Crazy Obsession

Grumpy Enchantress

Sorry, I haven't watched the clip from finding the lampooning of Bronies that disgusting!

Like many of you said, shows like these aren't there to give people with niche interests a fair chance to voice what they truly like about what they like. It's a chance for the producers to publically humiliate and ostracize anyone like this who even so much as dares.

One of the many reasons I almost entirely gave up on watching TV!

• Brohoof 1

Hello everyone. If you haven't guessed by my name...I am the Brony in the video. I'd like to address a couple of things in your comments.

1.) I am a real brony. The photos are of me, my Halloween costume and my stash of collectibles. I look forward to seeing some of you at BronyCon this  year.

2.) My outfit: The producers actually wanted me to wear my Rainbow Dash costume for the interview but I chose not to. I knew that if I wasn't wearing something a little "extreme" they would cancel the story, so my Spike hoodie was a compromise. Maybe it was a strong choice. Maybe it wasn't..but it was the choice that I made and I think it was smarter than wearing the costume.

3.) Homophobic microagressions like "masculine" and "normal" are exactly the kind of bullying tactics that lead an 11 year old Brony in North Carolina to attempt suicide. It saddens my heart to see that kind of dialogue within our own community.

And lastly, it's very easy for all of you to decree judgements about how I handled myself from the comfort of your laptops. I don't know that any of you would have done any different being thrown to the wolves on live national television. I was absolutely set up to fail and I think I came out of the situation with grace and civility representing us as positvely as I could given the circumstances.

Thank you all for your time and as always...Keep Calm and Brony On!!!

I just want to address 2 by saying I'm not at all surprised they tried to ham it up like that. Kudos to you for saying no. The Spike hoodie may have been overkill if it were any other situation but between your cosplay or a hoodie, I think the hoodie was safest.

I'm pretty sure most people here are on your side. And reading this post now I'm pissed that they didn't let you talk because you have good points. If only you got to talk about point 3 on your post on that show.

• Brohoof 2

Out of curiosity, did you actually read the conversation before commenting?  Nobody said anything about your clothes except one person saying they liked your hoodie.  And I have no clue who your third comment was targeted at...

For the most part, everybody was saying that you did a good job, but that the hosts of the show should have given you more of a chance to answer questions and explain bronies.  If you are actually the person in the video, you might want to join in the actual discussion going on instead of addressing criticisms of yourself that weren't made.

Sorry I'm still getting used to this format and sent you a personal message first. Honestly, I did compose a general response that covered multiple topics across several blogs and tumblr posts that I found in regards to this interview. I didn't mean to not engage with all of you particularly those who showed support...but I'm also pretty square when it comes to social media outside of facebook and I'm suddenly finding myself the center of discussion across multiple formats I often read but don't ever post in.  So the criticisms were made...just not all of them here. My attempt at efficiency in the face of being overwhelmed might not have worked in my favor and for that I apologize. I do sincerely appreciate the support most of you have shown me. In my defense, I've also gone from proudly talking about MLP on facebooke to getting ripped to shreds on national television to finding myself being talked about both good and bad all across the internet in the span of less than 24 hours. I'm just trying to keep up @ this point. Thank you for reminding me about the positive things being said though. It's always so much easier to focus on the negative.

• Brohoof 4

And lastly, it's very easy for all of you to decree judgements about how I handled myself from the comfort of your laptops. I don't know that any of you would have done any different being thrown to the wolves on live national television. I was absolutely set up to fail and I think I came out of the situation with grace and civility representing us as positvely as I could given the circumstances.

I have to ask: Why would you willingly put yourself through this? Did you not know this was just going to be a big hatchet job in advance? And if you did, what did you hope to accomplish? There was pretty much zero chance they were going to give you a fair chance to tell your side.

Are you a masochist?

• Brohoof 1

... If I recall correctly, isn't this the same show that did a portion on Lolitas telling them it was going to innocently talk about their subculture while giving them literally no indication they were going to show up on a show involving people needlessly obsessed and insane?

I'm just disappointed people are still watching this.

Don't forget, if this is the same Dr. Drew:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303933404577505032006855076

I wish they would put a normal person up as an example of a brony. No offense meant to those awesome people who live on the fringe, but the brony documentary had my hands on my face.

Yeah, I also noticed that upon watching the brony doc. Kinda made us all seem like the typical obese anime convention goers, only with the heavy implication that a majority of us are autistic. (Not saying it would be a bad thing if we were, but misrepresenting the whole fandom in such a way gives fuel to the type of assholes who use 'autistic' as an insult.)

If Ashleigh Ball's Brony comes to fruition, I hope they do a better job of accurately representing the fanbase this time around.

• 5 years later...

This may have been five years ago, but dear goodness, those interviewers are just vile and bigoted. Honestly, in my country they could have gotten sued for their insulting remarks. This here has nothing to do with proper journalism, it's just outright slander.

What's even worse than that guy being insulted, they are also encouraging the bullying towards us. Ever so often I find myself wondering just what the heck is wrong with some people...

It's an old video, but I had to pause it several times to fully process what was being said to the interviewee. They really didn't give him a fair chance.

Edited by Cash In

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...