Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fedoras: Hot or Not?

Philosoft

Fedoras  

179 users have voted

1. 1. How far is your love or hate for fedoras

• I AM OBSESSED WITH THEM! I wear fedoras all the time no matter what!
    • I love them, I wear fedoras a lot!
    • I like them, I sometimes wear fedoras.
    • ( I dont care one way or another ) ( I dont know )
    • I dislike them, I think there a bad fashion choice but whatever
    • I hate them, People that wear it dont know what fashionable or not and it annoys me
    • I DESPISE THEM, any one that wears them just makes me really annoyed or I might even hate that person

I would say that I love fedoras but I know there is a lot of different opinions both being positive and negative. I made a small poll on this subject and like to hear the opinions that surround the idea of fedoras. GO!

post-24771-0-94758000-1393382642_thumb.png

Edited by Brony 4 Dead
  • Brohoof 5

I like fedoras. It seems like they get a lot of bad rap. Some people just absolutely hate em. Now I like fedora but I don't wear them. Mainly cuz I'm not a hat kinda guy but they look cool on others heheh.

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Some people can pull them off, some can't. It also depends on if it's a decent looking one or a cheap piece of shit that looks like it came from a Dollar Tree. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

I'm fairly neutral on them since some people can make them work while others simply can't. If it looks good on a person, great, if it looks bad, oh well. I know fedoras combined with suits of some kind usually look good. 

• Brohoof 1

They rarely look good on people.

Everyone wants to look like Johnny Depp or something when they wear a fedora but they usually end up looking like an idiot. It's hard to pull off the look correctly

• Brohoof 2

Can I just point out that Luna is wearing a trilby and the internet in general seems to say fedora when they mean trilby.

This is a fedora

130316.jpg

And this is a trilby

-size-large-circ.-58cm-size--2457-p.jpg

There are a few differences: a trilby has a shorter brim than a fedora and the back is usually tipped up more and also, the crown is shorter. With cars becoming more common, cheaper and had lowered roofs during the 50's and 60's, the large fedora fell out of favour as it usually needed to be taken off when entering a car. The trilby, however, could remain on a man's head inside a car.  What bronies are renowned for wearing are trilbies, not fedoras. I just wanted to educate you all while asking whether you want our opinions on the trilby, the fedora or both.

Having said that, I much prefer the fedora, I own a grey Christy's Casablanca Fedora exactly like the top image. A suit is not complete without a fedora and they are very practical, keeping oneself dry in the rain and cool in the sun. They are also extremely durable as I had my fedora blow off my head, onto the road and get run over by a Land Rover. After a sponge down and little steaming, it was good as new.

Edit: @ParsoOfEquestria now those are fedoras.

Edited by Taviscratch
  • Brohoof 9

I don't like most hats. However, I have a special hatred reserved for fedoras, and I immediately dislike anyone I see wearing one. I can't help it, its just the worst red flag someone can show in my opinion. I have yet to meet a person I would want to associate with for any extended period of time who wears that atrocious hat or any variant on it. (I don't really give a crap if its a trilby or whatever, they're all under the same bad category) And all of my female friends are in consensus that they would never want to date a guy who they first saw wearing a fedora. I can't say I blame them.

• Brohoof 2

No, not in the least bit attractive, perhaps they were for a time, but they have since devolved in my opinion.

They say it is the hat beret worn by real men.

uoXd1l1.jpg

VDV

I like most any military head wear, , particularly tanker helmets.

7XnJFJ0.jpg

Fedoras=Nyet

Edited by Sergei
  • Brohoof 2

Some people can pull them off, some can't. It also depends on if it's a decent looking one or a cheap piece of shit that looks like it came from a Dollar Tree. 

I would agree to that, got to get them good ones at the right place and you dont want to just wear some plain T with shorts with a fedora. Its gotta match baby!

post-24771-0-68154900-1393383802_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Ehhh... it's not my choice of hat. There are ways to make it look good, but I've very rarely seen someone pull it off. The ones that do are fairly proper and well dressed in general. I'm more partial to the flat cap, myself.

• Brohoof 1

Can I just point out that Luna is wearing a trilby and the internet in general seems to say fedora when they mean trilby.

This is a fedora

130316.jpg

And this is a trilby

-size-large-circ.-58cm-size--2457-p.jpg

There are a few differences: a trilby has a shorter brim than a fedora and the back is usually tipped up more and also, the crown is shorter. With cars becoming more common, cheaper and had lowered roofs during the 50's and 60's, the large fedora fell out of favour as it usually needed to be taken off when entering a car. The trilby, however, could remain on a man's head inside a car.  What bronies are renowned for wearing are trilbies, not fedoras. I just wanted to educate you all while asking whether you want our opinions on the trilby, the fedora or both.

Having said that, I much prefer the fedora, I own a grey Christy's Casablanca Fedora exactly like the top image. A suit is not complete without a fedora and they are very practical, keeping oneself dry in the rain and cool in the sun. They are also extremely durable as I had my fedora blow off my head, onto the road and get run over by a Land Rover. After a sponge down and little steaming, it was good as new.

Edit: @ParsoOfEquestria now those are fedoras.

Ya I know that she was wearing a trilby. But some people just really dont care and just put both hat types in the same category . I also just thought that pic look cute :3 

A fedora (and the trilby) is a hat to be worn with a suit...and nothing else. I see people walking around in T-shirt and shorts with trilbies on, cocked backwards at ridiculous angles and I can't help but sigh. A baseball cap is a boy's hat and while (as Sergei noted) a military beret is apparently a MAN's hat, the fedora is a GENTLEman's hat, bursting with class and style. It cannot be beaten.

• Brohoof 2

I wear a black with pinstripe trilby covered with pins from my various travels. Each pin has a story. I've been told at various points that I'm one who makes the hat look good, but that might be confirmation bias due to how impressive the pin collection is, and how much height the hat adds to my already Atlasian 6'5" stature.

Edited by Blue

I wear a trilby personally with pins on it. I think it helps me out, and my friends say I can pull it of (compared to another guy at my college who looks awful in it.

I personally think I need a hat to make me look less....awful. Also, it's the normal attire of the ska scene in SoCal so it's pretty normal for me to have it on.

Here's a photo of me and some of my friends at Disneyland for It's A Ska World last year (I'm on the bottom right):

1394082_696670483678847_1720068478_n_zps

A fedora (and the trilby) is a hat to be worn with a suit...and nothing else. I see people walking around in T-shirt and shorts with trilbies on, cocked backwards at ridiculous angles and I can't help but sigh. A baseball cap is a boy's hat and while (as Sergei noted) a military beret is apparently a MAN's hat, the fedora is a GENTLEman's hat, bursting with class and style. It cannot be beaten.

Well see I dont believe that is 100% true. There is a right way to dress but in a suit is not the only way to go. I only wear my trilby or fedora when I am wearing my short sleeved black and white button shirt with ether light black or dark blue paints and my under shirt has to be predominantly black. I honestly experimented with many styles to go with my hat but this combo works the best with my hat and does look good.

Well see I dont believe that is 100% true. There is a right way to dress but in a suit is not the only way to go. I only wear my trilby or fedora when I am wearing my short sleeved black and white button shirt with ether light black or dark blue paints and my under shirt has to be predominantly black. I honestly experimented with many styles to go with my hat but this combo works the best with my hat and does look good.

Sorry, yes, not just a suit for a fedora but certainly shirt, trousers and proper shoes. A jacket of some kind is required, be it suit jacket or a sports coat but a waistcoat can stand in. A fedora should never be worn in any other clothing situation. Trilbies are a little different as indie rock artists have made it possible to wear a trilby with more casual dress (but please no T-shirts) much like Italian men making it possible to wear brown shoes with a blue suit. I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to suit and hat etiquette but you'll find most people don't care what hat you wear, how you wear it or what you wear it with.

Edited by Taviscratch
  • Brohoof 1