Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fedoras: Hot or Not?

Philosoft

Fedoras  

179 users have voted

1. 1. How far is your love or hate for fedoras

• I AM OBSESSED WITH THEM! I wear fedoras all the time no matter what!
    • I love them, I wear fedoras a lot!
    • I like them, I sometimes wear fedoras.
    • ( I dont care one way or another ) ( I dont know )
    • I dislike them, I think there a bad fashion choice but whatever
    • I hate them, People that wear it dont know what fashionable or not and it annoys me
    • I DESPISE THEM, any one that wears them just makes me really annoyed or I might even hate that person

img-2358810-1-freddy-krueger.jpgimg-2358810-2-grant.pngimg-2358810-3-Indiana-Jones-Last-Crusade

Fedoras take a certain look to pull off well. You can't go around walking in one while wearing a T-shirt. It needs that right "look". And please don't wear trilby's. They look stupid. Like a hat that isn't sure if it wants to be a cap or a fedora. 

Also, I'll demonstrate the "look" thing. I prefer to wear my olive green canvas fedora with my olive green canvas jacket. Without the jacket, my fedora just looks gaudy and stupid. 

Without jacket: 

img-2358810-4-mNMfuw7.png

With jacket:

img-2358810-5-hgR3dno.png

See I don't mind this kind of 'fedora' or 'trillby' or whatever. The larger brim, the coloring and the fabric gives it more of a 'one with nature' or 'adventurer' look rather than the typical 'I sit in my parents basement and play with dolls' look.

If you're gonna wear a hat then take advice from this guy, he knows how to pull it off.

For comparison:

UcTiC7.jpg

This is what you should NOT be aiming for.

• Brohoof 2

See I don't mind this kind of 'fedora' or 'trillby' or whatever. The larger brim, the coloring and the fabric gives it more of a 'one with nature' or 'adventurer' look rather than the typical 'I sit in my parents basement and play with dolls' look.

If you're gonna wear a hat then take advice from this guy, he knows how to pull it off.

For comparison:

img-2359157-6-UcTiC7.jpg

Of course, because he's wearing a cheap POS that looks he bought it for $5 in a Dollar Store. About anyone is going to look bad in one of those God-forsaken things. I actually saw one at a Goodwill and mistook it for a cheap party hat of some kind at first. 

• Brohoof 1

For comparison:

img-2359157-6-UcTiC7.jpg

Thank you. The "one with nature" look was exactly what I was trying to pull off. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Oh man, no one should get me started on this. 

First, I did not answer the poll because personally I have nothing against Fedoras and I don't think they're a bad fashion choice. However, I've yet to see someone that wears it in the proper context. I have something against the people who wear them. 

I see SO MANY guys wearing fedoras that think they make them look cool, when they in fact do not. Fedoras are great hats and can be pretty sexy when worn in the proper situation. To even consider wearing a fedora you first have to be wearing a suit.

Here's a handy guide to wearing a fedora: 

You are...

wearing casual clothes.

-No fedora.

wearing it because it looks "badass"

-No it doesn't. Take the fedora off.

wearing a suit

-Shave and then wear it only if you must.

a gangster from the 1920s

-Wear that fedora

Frank Sinatra

-Fedora!

If you're still not convinced here is how the world perceives you when you wear a Fedora:

post-9921-0-83969000-1393628735.jpg

Notice the suit in the second picture

Side note: I used to know someone who looked exactly like the guy in the last picture, he was creepy, fedora and all. 

In case you needed another incentive not to wear a fedora (or a similar hat) just remember that every time a girl sees a guy in a fedora her internal douche-o-meter goes off, and that can be killer if you're actually a nice guy. I have never once looked at a guy and thought "Wow, that is a nice fedora, I want to get his number. I hope he comes over and talks to me". 

• Brohoof 6

Oh man, no one should get me started on this. 

First, I did not answer the poll because personally I have nothing against Fedoras and I don't think they're a bad fashion choice. However, I've yet to see someone that wears it in the proper context. I have something against the people who wear them. 

I see SO MANY guys wearing fedoras that think they make them look cool, when they in fact do not. Fedoras are great hats and can be pretty sexy when worn in the proper situation. To even consider wearing a fedora you first have to be wearing a suit.

Here's a handy guide to wearing a fedora: 

You are...

wearing casual clothes.

-No fedora.

wearing it because it looks "badass"

-No it doesn't. Take the fedora off.

wearing a suit

-Shave and then wear it only if you must.

a gangster from the 1920s

-Wear that fedora

Frank Sinatra

-Fedora!

If you're still not convinced here is how the world perceives you when you wear a Fedora:

attachicon.giffedora.jpg

Notice the suit in the second picture

Side note: I used to know someone who looked exactly like the guy in the last picture, he was creepy, fedora and all. 

In case you needed another incentive not to wear a fedora (or a similar hat) just remember that every time a girl sees a guy in a fedora her internal douche-o-meter goes off, and that can be killer if you're actually a nice guy. I have never once looked at a guy and thought "Wow, that is a nice fedora, I want to get his number. I hope he comes over and talks to me". 

I'm going to brohoof this about 20 times Maggie!  :lol:

Also, you pretty much summed it up. Any given person wearing a fedora to try and make a fashion statement is probably a poser. 

hmmmmm, I have something to conflict with that

Indiana+Jones+5.jpg

Well, since Indy kind of discovered a Jewish artifact lost for thousands of years, the Cup of Eternal Life, some magic rocks, and hid in a fridge to survive a nuclear freaking blast, he gets a pass. Once you've done all those things, you get a certificate that lets you wear a fedora with informal clothes too.

Also, that isn't one of those stupid little narrow brim fedoras, Indy's hat is leather and not fabric, and more similar to a cowboy hat in shape. Its not quite the same as this. 

1385757943224.jpg

Now that? That is an ugly hat.

• Brohoof 4

that. that is a trilby, not a fedora

Sorry, I don't make that distinction. If I google image search "fedora" almost every image is a hat of that style. They're the same thing, if not in appearance than in effect. The effect being that most people are gonna pass negative judgement on you for wearing either one in public!  :lol:

(edited)

But people think trilbys are fedoras and that's the problem. A trilby is in the fedora family, but is not itself a fedora. 

Honestly, that's what I'm starting to see to now that it's pointed out to me. 90% of the time when someone engages in fedora-shaming said asshole is actually wearing a Trilby and not a proper Fedora(or a Fedora that's so cheap and tacky it would look bad on anyone) 

Edited by Shoboni

(edited)

Honestly, that's what I'm starting to see to now that it's point point to me. 90% of the time when someone engages in fedora-shaming said asshole is actually wearing a Trilby and not a proper Fedora(or a Fedora that's so cheap and tacky it would look bad on anyone) 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fedora

Like it or not dude, the Internet, and most people in real life, just don't like fedoras/trilbys/whatever the heck the tacky hats are called these days. They are a dead fashion, and have come to be associated with jerky militant atheists with a superiority complex and no social skills. They have the same connotations as the "Neckbeard" and "Nice Guy" stereotypes, and those aren't flattering.

3fe.gif

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/in-this-moment-i-am-euphoric

Even Reddit dislikes fedoras now. Fedora shaming is now an established thing dude. I'm sorry. I mean, if you want to keep wearing them, that's totally your call, but it is unnecessarily shooting yourself in the foot socially.

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fedora

Like it or not dude, the Internet, and most people in real life, just don't like fedoras/trilbys/whatever the heck the tacky hats are called these days. They are a dead fashion, and have come to be associated with jerky militant atheists with a superiority complex and no social skills. 

img-2359752-1-3fe.gif

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/in-this-moment-i-am-euphoric

Even Reddit dislikes fedoras now. 

That doesn't make judging someone based on clothing choice or appearance right. People should dress however they feel comfortable within reason and we should judge them based on if they actually our an asshole, not if we think they look like one.

Trust me, I've meant really nice people that scream every douchebag stereotype from popped collars to tacky designer clothes because they just happen to like it. 

Edited by Shoboni

(edited)

That doesn't make judging someone based on clothing choice or appearance right. People should dress however they feel comfortable within reason and we should judge them based on if they actually our an asshole, not if we think they look like one.

Trust me, I've mean really nice people that scream every douchebag stereotype from popped collars to tacky designer clothes because they just happen to like it. 

Brave words, but that's just not how the world works sadly. And in my mind, its much better to be judged a "douchebag" than a fedora wearing "nice guy". Society is far kinder to the popped collar frat boys of the world than the guys who think a fedora is the key to looking "cool". Lol and that's why I wear Hollister and Sperrys and make sure to keep my hair gelled! XD

In a world where appearances and first impressions mean everything, why needlessly harm your public image?

Edited by Windy Runner

(edited)

Brave words, but that's just not how the world works sadly. And in my mind, its much better to be judged a "douchebag" than a fedora wearing "nice guy". Society is far kinder to the popped collar frat boys of the world than the guys who think a fedora is the key to looking "cool". Lol and that's why I wear Hollister and Sperrys and make sure to keep my hair gelled! XD

In a world where appearances and first impressions mean everything, why needlessly harm your public image?

I personally dress like the bastard child of a hippie and a redneck(with maybe some 80s punk thrown in). Cargo Shorts(sometimes camo) or suit pants, T-Shirts(usually from Wal-Mart), and either a leather fishing hat(kind of like a army ranger brimmed hat) or a camo ballcap. If I need a coat a leather jacket(you could call it a "detective" style one like Max Panye wears, and leather driving gloves. I also sometimes wear flannel over-shirts or a camo stuffed hunting vest. I also have a wallet chain and a medium sized silver crucifix. I also have semi-well groomed facial hair(think Big Boss if he had a bit of a 'stash) and long hair.  

My point being I dress and act for comfort because the kind that judge based on looks tend to not be the company I want to keep. I'm comfortable that I'm a bit of a northern style redneck so that's how I dress. 

Keep in mind most of the people that Fedora bash SEE IT as a frat-boy douchebag thing just as much as anything else. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

I personally dress like the bastard child of a hippie and a redneck(with maybe some 80s punk thrown in). Cargo Shorts(sometimes camo) or suit pants, T-Shirts(usually from Wal-Mart), and either a leather fishing hat(kind of like a army ranger brimmed hat) or a camo ballcap. If I need a coat a leather jacket(you could call it a "detective" style one like Max Panye wears, and leather driving gloves. I also sometimes wear flannel over-shirts or a camo stuffed hunting vest. I also have a wallet chain and a medium sized silver crucifix. I also have semi-well groomed facial hair(think Big Boss if he had a bit of a 'stash) and long hair.  

My point being I dress and act for comfort because the kind that judge based on looks tend to not be the company I want to keep. I'm comfortable that I'm a bit of a northern style redneck so that's how I dress. 

Lol I can't even begin to picture that getup! XD

But so many potential networking opportunities are lost that way. You never know who you'll come across just going about your everyday life. What if its a guy from a company you want to work for, and he could give you tips about getting in and advancing up the corporate ladder faster? Or a potential girlfriend? First impressions mean everything in today's society.

Also, I'm just asking is why would anyone willing be associated with such a negative stereotype as the fedora? It doesn't make sense. Why voluntarily draw the ire of most of society?

Ok, I'm going to give you MY opinion - an honest females opinion.

Hot or not.

Not hot.

If I saw a guy in a fedora I would NOT be like, "oh damn he looks good in that, I should talk to him." That being said, that's only going by first impressions. I literally do noooot like them. At all.

But people will do as they please. That's just how I feel lolol.

But so many potential networking opportunities are lost that way. You never know who you'll come across just going about your everyday life. What if its a guy from a company you want to work for, and he could give you tips about getting in and advancing up the corporate ladder faster? Or a potential girlfriend? First impressions mean everything in today's society.

Also, I'm just asking is why would anyone willing be associated with such a negative stereotype as the fedora? It doesn't make sense. Why voluntarily draw the ire of most of society?

Yeah, I look like I should be driving a semi or helping transport moonshine half the time. 

Not really. I'm not interested in business like that and I rather form relationships based on personality. I'm the kind that rather have one or two real friends than a dozen fake ones that like me based on something I pretend to be. I'm also more than capable of dressing nice when I need to make a good impression(dark suit pants, polished up boots, white dress shirt, same cross, my leather jacket, hair pulled back, beard groomed up well and the places on my face I don't want hair shaved well) 

hmmmmm, I have something to conflict with that

img-2359620-1-Indiana%20Jones%205.jpg

I would be a fool to claim that Indiana Jones doesn't look fantastic in a fedora. However you'll notice all the examples I gave were real people. If Indiana Jones was real and walked around in a fedora before he did any of that badass Indiana Jones stuff he probably wouldn't have been taken very seriously. 

Honestly, that's what I'm starting to see to now that it's pointed out to me. 90% of the time when someone engages in fedora-shaming said asshole is actually wearing a Trilby and not a proper Fedora(or a Fedora that's so cheap and tacky it would look bad on anyone) 

I don't see what the point is in arguing "that's a Trilby not a Fedora". Neither one looks good when it isn't worn correctly. 

and make sure to keep my hair gelled! XD

Zak-zak-bagans-25092509-500-449.jpg

When guys say they use hair gel I imagine Zak Bagans

• Brohoof 2

so, you look at a biker and think they are the blight of humanity? never judge a book by its cover without reading it first. http://elitedaily.com/news/world/biker-gang-comes-rescue-abused-children/

• Brohoof 2

I would be a fool to claim that Indiana Jones doesn't look fantastic in a fedora. However you'll notice all the examples I gave were real people. If Indiana Jones was real and walked around in a fedora before he did any of that badass Indiana Jones stuff he probably wouldn't have been taken very seriously. 

I don't see what the point is in arguing "that's a Trilby not a Fedora". Neither one looks good when it isn't worn correctly. 

Zak-zak-bagans-25092509-500-449.jpg

When guys say they use hair gel I imagine Zak Bagans

I just imagine one of the dudes from Jersey Shore..

Oh wait, I just looked him up and that's exactly what I picture. XD. Dear lord that guy looks likes every douchebag frat stereotype I've ever seem(minus the popped collar) rolled into one.