Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fedoras: Hot or Not?

Philosoft

Fedoras  

179 users have voted

1. 1. How far is your love or hate for fedoras

• I AM OBSESSED WITH THEM! I wear fedoras all the time no matter what!
    • I love them, I wear fedoras a lot!
    • I like them, I sometimes wear fedoras.
    • ( I dont care one way or another ) ( I dont know )
    • I dislike them, I think there a bad fashion choice but whatever
    • I hate them, People that wear it dont know what fashionable or not and it annoys me
    • I DESPISE THEM, any one that wears them just makes me really annoyed or I might even hate that person

(edited)

Yeah, I look like I should be driving a semi or helping transport moonshine half the time. 

Not really. I'm not interested in business like that and I rather form relationships based on personality. I'm the kind that rather have one or two real friends than a dozen fake ones that like me based on something I pretend to be. I'm also more than capable of dressing nice when I need to make a good impression(dark suit pants, polished up boots, white dress shirt, same cross, my leather jacket, hair pulled back, beard groomed up well and the places on my face I don't want hair shaved well) 

Hey, to each their own. I just think it does more harm than good. Also, aren't boots and a leather jacket not considered formal wear? I always considered formal wear (at minimum) khakis, button up shirt, tie, nice preppy sweater, and dress shoes. 

I would be a fool to claim that Indiana Jones doesn't look fantastic in a fedora. However you'll notice all the examples I gave were real people. If Indiana Jones was real and walked around in a fedora before he did any of that badass Indiana Jones stuff he probably wouldn't have been taken very seriously. 

I don't see what the point is in arguing "that's a Trilby not a Fedora". Neither one looks good when it isn't worn correctly. 

Zak-zak-bagans-25092509-500-449.jpg

When guys say they use hair gel I imagine Zak Bagans

Lol not that kind of gel Maggie! XD I use a lifeguard recipe! Water, lemon juice, and salt all in a spray bottle. Works like a charm and doesn't feel like there's any gel in your hair. Unlike Zak, who goes through a Johnny Bravo sized tub of gel a week! 

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 1

Hey, to each their own. I just think it does more harm than good. Also, aren't boots and a leather jacket not considered formal wear? I always considered formal wear (at minimum) khakis, button up shirt, tie, nice preppy sweater, and dress shoes. 

Lol not that kind of gel Maggie! XD I use a lifeguard recipe! Water, lemon juice, and salt all in a spray bottle. Works like a charm and doesn't feel like there's any gel in your hair. Unlike Zak, who goes through a Johnny Bravo sized tub of gel a week! 

I know what your hair looks like so I know it's not that bad, but that's just what I imagine. You can also now take pride in knowing that you use more hair product than I do. ;) Congratulations. 

• Brohoof 1

Lol not that kind of gel Maggie! XD I use a lifeguard recipe! Water, lemon juice, salt in a spray bottle. Works like a charm and doesn't feel like there's any gel in your hair. Unlike Zak, who goes through a Johnny Bravo sized tub of gel a week! 

To me what you say that I picture some obnoxious stereotypical upper-middle class Yale graduate that could get his hands dirty or do any real work if his life depended on it. That's my perception though, just as you have yours. I tend to dress more formal-casual when I have to dress up. 

I also look like hell clean shaven because it makes me look dorky. 

I know what your hair looks like so I know it's not that bad, but that's just what I imagine. You can also now take pride in knowing that you use more hair product than I do. ;) Congratulations. 

....dammit Maggie......  :P

Oh well, maybe that's more indicative of your hair just being that easy to take care of! In my defense, once I've been lifeguarding in saltwater for around a week, I can stop putting any product in my hair, since the salt naturally holds it up. So for a quarter of every year I have nothing in my hair, if that counts for anything at all.

...Lol it probably doesn't, considering I just had to explain my entire hair care routine..  :lol:

To me what you say that I picture some obnoxious stereotypical upper-middle class Yale graduate that could get his hands dirty or do any real work if his life depended on it. That's my perception though, just as you have yours. I tend to dress more formal-casual when I have to dress up. 

I also look like hell clean shaven because it makes me look dorky. 

Well, to be fair, that kind of is me. :lol:  (Not the Yale part, although I did apply there. I just haven't heard back from all my colleges, so I don't know where I'm going yet) My dad was a businessman and I want to be a businessman, so I guess its just my perception. 

Although I do take a bit of offense that you think people who dress like that can't get their hands dirty or do real work. See, you're assuming just like I was!  :P

• Brohoof 2

My family is close to upper middle class and my step dad came from a family that was very upper middle class if not lower upper class. He was a Vanderbilt graduate and only ever went to private schools. He worked in Americorps for a while which is about as dirty as your hands can get and never dresses like that. 

He's also never worn a Fedora. (Staying on topic here)

People can dress to make a good impression without dressing that way all the time. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

My family is close to upper middle class and my step dad came from a family that was very upper middle class if not lower upper class. He was a Vanderbilt graduate and only ever went to private schools. He worked in Americorps for a while which is about as dirty as your hands can get and never dresses like that. 

He's also never worn a Fedora. (Staying on topic here)

People can dress to make a good impression without dressing that way all the time. 

....dammit Maggie......  :P

Oh well, maybe that's more indicative of your hair just being that easy to take care of! In my defense, once I've been lifeguarding in saltwater for around a week, I can stop putting any product in my hair, since the salt naturally holds it up. So for a quarter of every year I have nothing in my hair, if that counts for anything at all.

...Lol it probably doesn't, considering I just had to explain my entire hair care routine..  :lol:

Well, to be fair, that kind of is me. :lol:  (Not the Yale part, although I did apply there. I just haven't heard back from all my colleges, so I don't know where I'm going yet) My dad was a businessman and I want to be a businessman, so I guess its just my perception. 

Although I do take a bit of offense that you think people who dress like that can't get their hands dirty or do real work. See, you're assuming just like I was!  :P

Now do you both see my point about judging based on appearance? I offended both of you my using my own prior-knowledge to make a quick and harsh judgement. The way you two have been talking comes off the same way to me or anyone else that doesn't like the style of dress you view as proper. Just as you view extremely casual dress as dorky, or awkard, I tend to view extremely preppy dress as the same way(with the added stereotype of being a smug blue-blood type).

I grew up in a very blue-collar family with a mom who worked cleaning crew various places most of her life and a father that was ex-military and worked herding lifestock, as well as a step-dad that was a retired farmer later on. I've also done plenty of dirty odd-jobs in yard work of hauling trash to make extra pocket money. That colors my perception to view anyone that dresses for looks rather that comfort or practicality harshly. The closest I'd ever get to a suit would be a dress shirt, suit pants, and a well polished set of work boots(or maybe my black and white Converses I picked up cheap if it's to hot for the boots or I want to go nicer)   

Edited by Shoboni

(edited)

The only time I think fedoras or trilbys will be good on someone is if they wear a matching suit and tie for the appropriate occasion. Anything else, not hot.

If one does not wear one right in my opinion, I won't automatically hate them, they will just leave a bad first impression. And for me, first impressions are not everything.

Edited by ~Zero~
  • Brohoof 1

Now do you both see my point about judging based on appearance? I offended both of you my using my own prior-knowledge to make a quick and harsh judgement. The way you two have been talking comes off the same way to me or anyone else that doesn't like the style of dress you view as proper. Just as you view extremely casual dress as dorky, or awkard, I tend to view extremely preppy dress as the same way(with the added stereotype of being a smug blue-blood type).

I grew up in a very blue-collar family with a mom who worked cleaning crew various places most of her life and a father that was ex-military and worked herding lifestock, as well as a step-dad that was a retired farmer later on. I've also done plenty of dirty odd-jobs in yard work of hauling trash to make extra pocket money. That colors my perception to view anyone that dresses for looks rather that comfort or practicality harshly. The closest I'd ever get to a suit would be a dress shirt, suit pants, and a well polished set of work boots(or maybe my black and white Converses I picked up cheap if it's to hot for the boots or I want to go nicer)   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Hey, to each their own. People work hard in different ways. My father also worked extremely hard, traveling day and night around the globe to negotiate deals for his company. He could easily have to visit 3 different countries in an afternoon and attend 3 different meetings. He would get no sleep because he'd have to prepare for the next meeting on the flight. It was very hard and draining work. There's different kinds of hard work. Hard work isn't always involving dirt or livestock. Although I have worked as a dishwasher before, (with only a dish sanitizer that removed no food from the plates, meaning I had to handwash thousands of plates, bowls, cups, and pieces of silverware a day) so I do understand what you're talking about to a certain degree. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hey, to each their own. People work hard in different ways. My father also worked extremely hard, traveling day and night around the globe to negotiate deals for his company. He could easily have to visit 3 different countries in an afternoon and attend 3 different meetings. He would get no sleep because he'd have to prepare for the next meeting on the flight. It was very hard and draining work. There's different kinds of hard work. Hard work isn't always involving dirt or livestock. Although I have worked as a dishwasher before, (with only a dish sanitizer that removed no food from the plates, meaning I had to handwash thousands of plates, bowls, cups, and pieces of silverware a day) so I do understand what you're talking about to a certain degree. 

Which is the point I've been trying make this whole time. Everyone has their own opinions and like or dislikes and shouldn't judged based on that fact. I like looking good as much as the next person but see no reason to dress up outside of situations where cleaning up my appearance is necessary such as funerals, interviews, or special occasions of some kind. My idea of looking nice may also be different from yours because I like something more akin to causal suit than the preppy look because I know that's not me and I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not. 

Edited by Shoboni

Which is the point I've been trying make this whole time. Everyone has their own opinions and like or dislikes and shouldn't judged based on that fact. I like looking good as much as the next person but see no reason to dress up outside of situations where cleaning up my appearance is necessary such as funerals, interviews, or special occasions of some kind. My idea of looking nice may also be different from yours because I like something more akin to causal suit than the preppy look. 

I think we've been pretty much saying the same thing. All I was trying to argue is that although I personally think fedoras are a tasteless fashion choice, I don't mind them. I was more concerned that wearing them torpedoes the wearer's public image and such, and this can limit their options and opportunities to expand their social circles, further their career, and so on. I thought it seemed silly to stubbornly refuse to stop wearing a hat that is a stereotypical mark of a social pariah. But hey, 

Yeah, well, that's just like, my opinion man. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think we've been pretty much saying the same thing. All I was trying to argue is that although I personally think fedoras are a tasteless fashion choice, I don't mind them. I was more concerned that wearing them torpedoes the wearer's public image and such, and this can limit their options and opportunities to expand their social circles, further their career, and so on. I thought it seemed silly to stubbornly refuse to stop wearing a hat that is a stereotypical mark of a social pariah. But hey, 

Yeah, well, that's just like, my opinion man. 

...and I can understand that to in a way. I think it just comes down to what kind of social circles someone wants to be in how much it matters. I personally think current social standards are screwed in every imaginable direction in some ways so if I made that personal fashion choice(which I don't, I'd be much more inclined towards a cowboy hat if I went with something oddball, but I generally throw on a knit-cap or a camo ballcap) I don't know how much I'd consider that a factor.

Again though, I live in a really blue collar area with really blue collar people around me so I don't have to worry about social norms much because of the pretty thick "do what works" mentality.  

I admit I hate those "new atheist" nimrods though. Not only do I hate them as a theist, but as someone who likes weird artsy stuff and has to scream "I'm not some bitchy MRA hipster" constantly. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I actually have a fedora, though i hardly wear it. It's just one of those cheap stage props that I kind of bought on a whim. To be honest, I think the only time a fedora (or trillby, for that matter) should be worn is on formal occasions. It just looks weird on everyday situations and it brings back feelings about the stereotypical "nice guy", which always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Domino
  • Brohoof 1

Ah, the fedora. I am willing to remain indifferent on anyone who actually does wear a fedora on a regular basis. I mean, it's just a hat - doesn't need to dictate your personality as most of its negative associations suggest. That being said, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one. :P Not putting down fedoras as a whole, only it's not my kind of hat. Snapback maybe.

• Brohoof 1

Fedoras are freaking awesome. I'm a big fan of hats and own many in many different styles, including fedoras. I think I just like hats a lot more than specifically fedoras. Although fedoras are, indeed, very stylish and cool.

• Brohoof 2

I think I should have rephrased that xD, I mean fedora's are horrible on normal people, I think Indiana Jones is literally the only person who can actually wear a fedora, but like some random guy wearing a blue tshirt would look horrible in it

That's because you need the right attire to compliment the fedora...or rather the right hat to compliment your suit. That hat is the fedora. I agree that no normal person WEARING A BLUE T-SHIRT looks good in a fedora because they have just dishonoured the fedora family by bring the hat and T-shirt into contact. However, what about an average person in a dark grey three piece suit with matching fedora?

Like many have said, wear it with style. Hats are a great accessory, but like any accessory, you have to make them match the rest of your look. Fashion is about having a good sense of aesthetics when it comes down to it. 

I own quite a few hats, but they don't go well with every outfit and I can't pretend that they do. I own a beret, and it goes nicely with this denim jacket, black shirt, and jeans combo I have, but it'd be atrocious with my dark brown tank top and capris. Just be sensible.

• Brohoof 1

Indiana Jones wore one, that's why I always wanted one. But now because of all the bad reputation, I've gone off them. Though it is a cool looking hat.

• Brohoof 1