Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fedoras: Hot or Not?

Philosoft

Fedoras  

179 users have voted

1. 1. How far is your love or hate for fedoras

• I AM OBSESSED WITH THEM! I wear fedoras all the time no matter what!
    • I love them, I wear fedoras a lot!
    • I like them, I sometimes wear fedoras.
    • ( I dont care one way or another ) ( I dont know )
    • I dislike them, I think there a bad fashion choice but whatever
    • I hate them, People that wear it dont know what fashionable or not and it annoys me
    • I DESPISE THEM, any one that wears them just makes me really annoyed or I might even hate that person

I suppose what confuses me is "How did the fedora become such a popular hat?" and "How the heck did it manage to gain such a stereotype?"

I mean, I see the article on KYM and I think "I only really have the picture and maybe a bit of text to go off of, but holy cow these examples seem REALLY stereotypical of the 'shaming' fedoras are getting."  I honestly struggle to understand the phenomenon.

• Brohoof 1

I think the real irony in fedora bashing is that it's a very 'fedora' esque thing to do, stereotyping people solely off a questionable fashion choice. I mean, a lot of the people who are bashers of the style are the same people who complain about stereotyping in other social justice settings like gender/sexuality issues and the like. Is the fedora typically a bad call? Yes, usually. But just because people have bad taste in this specific instance you're going to assume they're passive aggressive misogynistic whatever?

But then, stereotyping makes things easier. And funnier. So while it's hypocritical, I understand why the stereotype exists.

• Brohoof 2

Yay to fedoras let's bring back there reputation. I wear in a trilby as part of my persona. Most people are tards and can't tell the difference between a trilby and fedora. It gets..annoying.

I would say that I love fedoras but I know there is a lot of different opinions both being positive and negative. I made a small poll on this subject and like to hear the opinions that surround the idea of fedoras. GO!

Brohoof for luna in fedora. This image needs to become synonymous with the fandom. So when some one tries to look up bronies for the first time this is what they will find, and they will be like wtf! And we will maintain a cloud of mystery the fandom really needs right now.

• Brohoof 1

This image needs to become synonymous with the fandom....And we will maintain a cloud of mystery the fandom really needs right now.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree with either of those counts.

Ah if I only I where a hugely famous brony I would make it so.

It would be glorious.

Although I have no desire to mock you, I can see someone mentally replacing "glorious" with the term "euphoric."

(edited)

Although I have no desire to mock you, I can see someone mentally replacing "glorious" with the term "euphoric."

The you have obviously never meant the kind of atheist the meme refers to. I have dealt with the little bottom feeders and Twi is no where CLOSE to being like them. You'll know when you find the little pricks because it will make you want to convert to absolutely any religion within reach to just not be an atheist. I'm a Christian and I've caught myself tacking the "but I'm not an atheist" statements on anything I say critical of religion to counter it.  

Edited by Shoboni

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

No, fedoras look really fucking stupid if you can't pull off wearing one, imo.

The late, great, Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes knew how to wear a Fedora. This is from "The Naval Treaty" which I just watched (again) last night. I went back and made a quick screen capture. I wasn't thinking of this thread last night, but I did think that Holmes looked quite dashing and debonair in it. Note, it goes quite nicely with his summer weight linen suit.

post-375-0-09693700-1444965676_thumb.jpg

They have a bad reputation now because people aren't wearing them correctly at the right times. You should be wearing a fedora if you're in a tuxedo at a sophisticated party of some sort. Some people are viewing it as something you can wear as an everyday item and to some people it just looks bad (It's similar to an old man having piercings or tattoos).

That's why everyone hates them and people who wear it. Now I guess they might be good people, but I haven't really found a conversation with someone wearing a fedora.

But since I'm quite young, I'm not going to be wearing a fedora anytime soon. I feel like the only people who wear fedoras now are people who aren't familiar with the internet.

I would go for not. If... That's alright with you....

And 99% of people can't pull it off

Then the 1% is Michael Jackson

Edited by FlootahBaby

I'd love to meet the seven people that feel hatred towards someone for wearing a hat.

Please, take as much time as you need to absorb the absurdity of that statement.

Anyways, I used to wear a trilby (I'm really tired of fedora threads that are really talking about trilbys. Either they're just commenting on it to jump on the Internet bandwagon, or they really are clueless about fashion). The thing is, I had the frame to pull it off, and damn did I look good in it. Wore it with suits and all. It was a steal, too, given the quality for the price. Black weave, pale, somewhat olive green argyle band, upturned brim all the way...I have never been able to find another quite like it. Sadly I lost it many years ago, and I haven't bothered to purchase another. I just don't look as good in any of them as I did in that trilby.

All depends on the person who's wearing it! I don't mind the hat alone, but I personally wouldn't wear it - doesn't suit me. However, if someone can pull it off, kudos to you - you rock that hat!

It really depends.

Can you pull it off?  If the answer is yes, then good for you.  If not, I have some bad news for you.

I don't own one, but I've only ever put one on when I felt like being silly.

It's all a matter of personal taste. Traditional Fedoras can look good in certain situations when paired with compatible fashion. Trilbies just look silly all the time.

I much prefer the Australian Outback style hat. I guess it still technically falls into the fedora family but is less a fashion statement and more a practical piece of outdoor gear.

p2260112.jpg

Edited by Gearbox10mm

Sadly, there's no option on the poll that fits me.

I really love fedoras, a trilby can be cool as well. To me, fedoras and trilbies equals style. I really love 30-early 50's fashion, it looks so great. Tweed suits and all... yum! Anyway, as much as I love them I never really wear one. I do own two, but I personally think it looks rather odd without the proper clothing for it (like a suit) and even though I do think the type of clothing looks nice, I don't think it's that comfortable to wear... And I'm all about wearing what's comfortable. I don't really care if others have suits or not though but whenever I see someone else wearing one I go like "oh oh oh ..cool" haha.

So, I wish there was an option for "I LOVE them but I don't wear one" :(

And lastly,

I really hate when people judge others just because they're using a trilby or a fedora. It's a fucking hat, jeez it's like saying you don't want to make friends with someone because they wear ugly shoes. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? It's like taken straight out of Hollywood Exes Season 3 or Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I don't want anything to do with you judgmental people. If you see yourself in what I just said, please delete me from your friend list ASAP.

Personally, I like the type of fedora that Indiana Jones wears. Because, Indiana Jones dude!
But I don't own one and I don't really care for the more stereotyped fedoras that have become so notorious in the world today.