Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fedoras: Hot or Not?

Philosoft

Fedoras  

179 users have voted

1. 1. How far is your love or hate for fedoras

• I AM OBSESSED WITH THEM! I wear fedoras all the time no matter what!
    • I love them, I wear fedoras a lot!
    • I like them, I sometimes wear fedoras.
    • ( I dont care one way or another ) ( I dont know )
    • I dislike them, I think there a bad fashion choice but whatever
    • I hate them, People that wear it dont know what fashionable or not and it annoys me
    • I DESPISE THEM, any one that wears them just makes me really annoyed or I might even hate that person

equally as ugly though xD sig-4254922.tumblr_new9yeebhn1sp12w1o1_5

Several centuries of fashion would say otherwise. ;)  The heyday of brimmed hat fashion lasting from the late 1700's, to about the mid to late 1960's, when brimmed hats were seen as something old people wore, and baseball caps took over. Fedoras specifically were popular from the late 1800's, to the mid to late 1960's. Fedora-like hats (which we usually associate Stetsons with, aka the "cowboy hat" - Stetson actually being a brand, not a style), had been in style LONG before the fedora arrived on the scene, so I count those, too. 

Edited by Dinos4Ever

Several centuries of fashion would say otherwise. ;)  The heyday of brimmed hat fashion lasting from the late 1700's, to about the mid to late 1960's, when brimmed hats were seen as something old people wore, and baseball caps took over. Fedoras specifically were popular from the late 1800's, to the mid to late 1960's. Fedora-like hats (which we usually associate Stetsons with, aka the "cowboy hat" - Stetson actually being a brand, not a style), had been in style LONG before the fedora arrived on the scene, so I count those, too. 

yes but with the hat came a fitting suit. the whole package ya know. not just the hat. with only the hat you can look like a try hard who thinks you are a classy guy (not)

I feel the same about tophats (only wear with a suiting outfit as it is supposed to be). and trenchcoats ...ugh the most ugliest of all

I'm happy this thread turned out to be serious and informative, not like on 4chan. Heh. For my part, I like fedoras, but only if I have to wear fancy clothes, like the mafia guys.

• 3 years later...

I wouldn't say they're hot....I'd take a guy with a baseball cap over a guy with a fedora anyday. :twismile: Fedoras are cool though. 

• Brohoof 1

I wear them all the time, it's just become a habit but stylish. 

(edited)

Fedoras are exquisite! They look really nice on men, and even women at times! In bygone days every man wore them and looked like a million bucks. I wish that trend would return. 

Besides, could you imagine Indiana Jones in a baseball cap? I think not!  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've already reply but while reading over some comments here, I'm not disagreeing with them. Some people do not know how to match their outfit with fedora/trilby.  However coming from my point of view they do come in different style, material and shape. Depends on how it look will depends on the outfit. Me example,  I have a fedora like this. Which I usually wear them on the winter because it goes well with my coat or whenever I feel classy. But I always prefer fedora like the one I have and this over this one. Although it look nice too but I don't have a outfit to match it. As for casual dressing mainly for the spring and summer with shorts, I'd wear a trilby like this. Wool/ cotton won't look good on shorts but straw with a light jacket will do.  So yeah just use common fashion sense and you may be able to knock it off. 

Edited by TBD

(edited)

I was the original OP for this thread a LLOOOONNNGGGG time ago, and like to say its been cool that both spectrums have been here doing there part to understand the hate and appeal of this goofy looking hat. I lost my account a long time ago because I got super busy with life. College, relationships, kids. But I might find a way to find my old account and come back to this stuff. ............... I found my account lol

Edited by Brony 4 Dead

• 2 months later...

I'm more of a baseball cap kind of guy. But I've seen some guys and girls rock the solid Fedora (or Trillby) style. Along with beanies, flat caps, and Stetsons, it can work really well if done right, but don't shove it in peoples' faces.

Way back when i was in Highschool i ran with a bunch of skaters. We wore fedoras cause no else did at the time. At the time, there was nothing bad associated with one. At the time, wearing one just meant you liked old fashion clothing. Then the term hipster came and then the whole “m’lady” memes popped up. 

I ditched the look, but others were just adapting it. 

Before i was a brony, i was a major theatre kid as well as skater. The people who wore fedoras/trillbillies proved to be insufferable. They acted like they were the next Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra while looking down at other people. 

There are people out there that can pull off the fedora look, but most people today can not and im not trying to be mean. People who cant pull it off always come off as goofy or a clone of the “m’lady” guy. 

Ahh the fedora and trilby. Probably one of the most misunderstood and despised hats in recent times.

These hats are a product of their times so it’s really ill fitting to see them be worn along with T-Shirts and Jeans. These hats were designed to go along with formal clothing (like a professional business suit) instead of the informal clothing that is popular nowadays. Shame that the legacy and beauty of these hats are tarnished by some people.

My vote: Well the closest thing I’d vote for is the I don’t know nor care option (for now I guess) even though that’s not entirely true. But, none of the voting options resonate with my stance on fedoras and trilbys. I’m more ambivalent to them in general.