Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how i became a brony and how it changed my life (2014)

faceless dash

17 users have voted

1. 1. has becoming a Brony change your life?

• YES, it made me a happier person
    • NO, not at all

im an 19 year old male

Becoming a brony has changed my life for the better, I don't get depressed anymore, my social anxiety or socially awkwardness is literally disappearing away each day. i cant give you a clear answer on how this show did this but what i can say is that this show just makes me feel happy, i just cant explain how this show makes me feel. its just awesome and including the fandom too. I truly regret ignoring or denying this show for 4 years straight i admit it i was wrong and you guys were right i kept being told to give the show a try but i just automatically assumed that i was never going to like it....ever. i could of made a lot more friends back then if i would of pulled my head out my ass and actually gave the show a try. 

ok now for the story you want to hear ok, 4 years ago i was suffering with depression and social anxiety but back then i was also a closed minded dumb-ass ( I'm all open minded today)but if you would of met me back in 2010-11 and u told me that i would be a huge fan of My little pony i would of laughed my ass off, i would of said "my little pony?? are you serious".(sign) I'm so embarrassed of my younger self I was soo stupid back then but hey I had to learn. But anyway back to the story in 2010 back in high school I had friends who were into the show and they suggested for me to watch the show but I was like "nah man I don't watch that stuff" i wasn't a very bright person back then, i was saying very hurtful stuff about this back then like "that's a gay show" or "who the fuck wants to buy my little pony toys, thats retarded i would never buy those toys"......and till this day or at this very moment im still embarrassed for acting like that, and saying those very hurtful things about the fan base (im sorry i said those things back then i was just a kid) . And so as years past in 2012 I have totally forgot that MLP 4th gen had even existed, it was never on my mind because I assumed that I was not going to like that show at all, i used to compare the show to bratz or barbie (and again guys im sorry i was an idiot back then). But in 2012 I was starting to be more open minded because I didn't want to hurt anybody feelings it didn't feel right i felt so horrible when i realized that i was soo judgmental of others, so that was when I started to change and GROW UP.

And now lets fast forward to 2014 mid - January i was on facebook and one of my freinds posted a meme of rainbow dash with a bugatti car in the back ground, i was like "i know ive seen that cartoon character from somewhere" and i started to remember the show. i look through the comments on the post and i was very confused, people were taking about My little pony and the characters and i was like "who the hell is derpy" lol and this is where it all started. I got curious, so i went on youtube to do a little research on MLP and i came across a video called "Teens react to my little pony". i saw the video and i couldn't believe how mean some of the teens were to the fans but what im more interested in was when i heard the word "brony", and of course they explained what that means in the video. and i was saying "so a brony is a teenage boy or a grown male who loves MLP? hmmm" so i got even more interested, so i started researching the term "brony" and i came across another interesting video called "Bronies react to Teens react to MLP" lol i was like "What? they did a reaction too?" and so after watching the video i learned that you can not judge the show by the intro and you should not judge someone by there personal interest. i said "alright it wont hurt to watch just one episode."

(note: i started the show on 2/1/14) 

and so i went on Netflix on my xbox 360 and started watching the first episode of the show and..................im just mind blown i was like there is no way this entire time this show was this good, the ponies are cute and adorable, its funny, and had an interesting story plot. The songs that pinkie pie was singing was not annoying at all there was absolutely nothing i disliked about this episode when i first watched it, but what really got me addicted was the ending. by the ending of the first episode i was really liking the show and then that cliff hanger happened and the episode went to the credits lol.(moments later)My first reaction:" ......no way...theres is no freakin way....that this show was this good this whole time, but i need to see what happens next, this show aint bad". after episode 2 i officially became a BRONY =). remember when i told you back in 2010-11 i said that i would never want to buy My little pony toys.........well i do now lol XD i want to collect those plushies of the main 6 im so obsessed with the show now (lol oh the irony) its been about a month since i started watching the show im working on season 2 now and im just loving every sec of it, this show is just amazing NOT ONE SINGLE EPISODE was boring, every episode was great and always gives me a great laugh and it just made me a happier & better person which resulted in me not having depression anymore, and i soon started being more out going. im not scared to talk to people anymore, my social anxiety is just fading away!!! =)

who knew that out of all the things in the world that could of helped me overcome my anxiety that My little pony: Friendship is magic did it lol i just want to give lauren faust the biggest longgest hug she deserves an applause from me,because honestly i think her show has probably saved my life. Thanks to this show i can enjoy life without fear of my anxiety because its gone, its never coming back. 

i hope you guys enjoyed my story if you have any questions let me know. my question to everypony out there how did YOU become a brony??? 

BROHOOF!!! to everypony =D

Edited by faceless dash
  • Brohoof 7

Welcome to the forums! Nice to meet you. I love to make new friends!

I'm glad to hear that MLP changed your life for the better - it did the same for me.

Have fun, and if you ever wish to talk, send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as Pinkily possible.

• Brohoof 1

Welcome to the forums, friend.  I see you are also an xbox owner.  Nice.  What kind of games you play, if i may ask?

hey man =) i play games like call of duty, grand theft auto, and some racing games like forza 5 (i don't own any forza games yet)

Well it's always nice to meet another brony and I had quite fun reading through your origin story. As for your Xbox, if you ever wanna share gamer tags I'm here.

sure man i dont mind my gamertag is mjakakilla all lower case im planning on changing it at some point, im glad you liked my story 

Edited by faceless dash

Hey, welcome to the forum! :yay:

I'm really glad you opened your mind to the show, and embraced it! :)
And your story is really hearth-warming, it gives hope. I'm sure if everypony watched MLP with their hearts open, they would not only like it, they would become a better person. Just like you! :)

But it's a shame that some people just WON'T open their hearts to the show. They don't understand that they will be filled with inner bliss and joy, the feeling only bronies know ;)
Anyways, I'm sure you'll have a great time here, 'cause everypony is super-friendly here! :)

If you ever wish to talk about ANYTHING, feel free to send me a message, and I'll be glad to respond! :yay:
Enjoy your awesome stay! ^_^

:brohoof:

• Brohoof 2

Guys, I have a problem! Is it weird to not know how you became a brony? I am still trying to figure out how! I wanna say it was from Teens React to My Little Pony, but I don't think that was it. If you guys could help me at least give me ideas on how I would've became a brony that would be great! I wanted to point out something, it wasn't because of any life issue such as bullying, depression, etc. I was simply for research, I think. 

Thanks,

Grayson

Edited by GraysonBochat
  • Brohoof 2

Guys, I have a problem! Is it weird to not know how you became a brony? I am still trying to figure out how! I wanna say it was from Teens React to My Little Pony, but I don't think that was it. If you guys could help me at least give me ideas on how I would've became a brony that would be great! I wanted to point out something, it wasn't because of any life issue such as bullying, depression, etc. I was simply for research, I think. 

Thanks,

Grayson

yeah i had a hard time too but i was able to remember because this story started when i was in high school in 2010 so it was somewhat easy to remember. but anyway you said you had a hard time remembering......ok you have to try to remember what environment you were in or where you were during the time you first heard of the show or even seen My little pony, for an example: what were you doing when you first heard about the show MLP?. i had to trace back when the show first came out because that was when i was in high-school.

yeah i had a hard time too but i was able to remember because this story started when i was in high school in 2010 so it was somewhat easy to remember. but anyway you said you had a hard time remembering......ok you have to try to remember what environment you were in or where you were during the time you first heard of the show or even seen My little pony, for an example: what were you doing when you first heard about the show MLP?. i had to trace back when the show first came out because that was when i was in high-school.

I wanna say it was Bronies React to Equestria Girls? But I honestly don't remember! I is confused!  :muffins:

Hey, welcome to the forum! :yay:

I'm really glad you opened your mind to the show, and embraced it! :)

And your story is really hearth-warming, it gives hope. I'm sure if everypony watched MLP with their hearts open, they would not only like it, they would become a better person. Just like you! :)

But it's a shame that some people just WON'T open their hearts to the show. They don't understand that they will be filled with inner bliss and joy, the feeling only bronies know ;)

Anyways, I'm sure you'll have a great time here, 'cause everypony is super-friendly here! :)

If you ever wish to talk about ANYTHING, feel free to send me a message, and I'll be glad to respond! :yay:

Enjoy your awesome stay! ^_^

:brohoof:

im glad you said my story was heart- warming, thank you. if i didn't have stage fright, i would do a speech on stage at bronycon telling hundreds of bronies this story it would be more in detail of course (i didnt do it here because it would just be too long), i want to tell Lauren faust this in person and the other cast members this story too, i would pay to see there reaction.

and brohoof =)

I wanna say it was Bronies React to Equestria Girls? But I honestly don't remember! I is confused!  :muffins:

yeah i remember seeing that too before i was a brony, i remember the weird look i gave to the computer screen when i saw dustykatt talking to the plushy, that was all new to me at that time. 

when your a non-brony all you see is a grown man talking to a toy, but now i think its cute. 

well if your confused then im sorry man i dont know if i have any other advice then what i gave you before. did you ever comment on a video about MLP before you watched the show for the first time? if you did you can make that the start of your timeline of your brony story. 

Edited by faceless dash
  • Brohoof 2

Cool story. That's awesome how becoming a Brony affected your life in a positive way. You will have a lot of awesome stuff to run through. I hope you enjoy your time on the site. Cheers! :D

• Brohoof 1

As much as I wish, I sadly don't have the time to read through the entire thing right now. I'll be sure to do it later.

Anyways, welcome to the forums! I'm glad you decided to join us, I've been here for more than two years and I love this place :3

It's sad that you did not discover the show earlier, but hey better late than never :D

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

I am a brony and this is my story:

I was a socially awkward kid, I had one friend. I was in my grandparents house because my parents were working and I was watching Pop! (A channel in Ireland) and then an episode of mlp came on. I thought " what is all the fuss 'bout this show" and decided to watch it. The episode that came on was Luna eclipsed and I actually enjoyed it, Luna in a way was like me, Misjudged and she likes the night, Heck she RULES the night litterly. I decided to research the show a bit and found that I became something, I became a brony.

Mlp has done wonders for me, when I'm sad I watch it and it helps me, opens up a feeling of joy and happiness and to Lauren Faust I can only say one thing...

Thank you

• 3 months later...

Now that I come to think of it, this is the very first time I speak about how I met your mother MLP.

By 2014, I had already heard something about the show/toys/whatever it was, I didn't care, but I had the vague impression that some adults had some sympathy for it, enough to make fun of it. I had seen Fluttershy's yay face and stuff like that, occasionaly showing up in random posts on the internet. "Losers everywhere", I thought.

Suddenly, one day, clicking on related videos on YouTube, BOOM I crashed with this

which is nothing but one minute of a smiling "lol dunno" Pinkie Pie smoothly getting closer to the camera while Careless Whisper's sax sounds in the background. After a first wut da fac impression, I realized this was not made by a child and probably neither by a girl. So this was the first time I made myself this question: 
(lol even it fits well because of the small pinkie). However, I still thought that it was disgusting that grown men gave popularity to a show that I believed it was like... a cartoon version of I-Carly or this kind of series where feminine personalities are just insufferable, fake, materialists, showy, laugh, cry or shout for everithing, etc. So I forgot about the whole thing and contnued with my life.

Last year, 2014, I had a break up that hurt me a lot at the moment. Several months had passed by and I had not been able to find some other interest that helped me to keep going. One night, when I was alone, I took advantage of that and searched on Google one thing that had been on my mind for weeks, but I had never searched because I didn't want anyone else to see me watching anything related with the subject. I took my first voluntary step to get closer with that pony thing, at least at a scientifical level. I typed:

my little pony phenomenon

Inmediately, lots of posts and blogs about that appeared. I learned that there were many grown men called bronies who liked the show for its supposedly good plot (this word had only one meaning to me back then), humor, character develoment, blah blah blah, I wouldn't understand until I judged by myself. So I changed to Google images. They say one image result page says more than 1000 word sites, and that your brain is programmed to fell in love at first sight with people or things you are "compatible" with. So, when I watched the memes, the excerpts of fan comics, the snapshots from episodes... I said man, this thing looks funny. Girly, but funny. It was not the "girls let's put make up and go shopping" I was expecting.

So I watched a video of a dude explaining why MLP was such a great show. I'd say I owe him my conversion. He did very well contrasting G4 vs previous generations and typical girl cartoons of the last century, how MLP included smart references to popular culture elements which a small girl would not get, how the characters are so psychologically human-like that in fact many men were infatuated in love with them, how the situations were interesting and creative, even the not adverturous ones. He also explained what MLP had that other contemporary shows did not. In brief, he convinced me that it was rather a pleasant cartoon to watch.

So, it was done, now I was interested in learning more from the show, though I was still ashamed of even considering watching an episode. I was specially interested on that tomboyish blue pegasus with the messy colorful hair. Of course, he put the scene when she saves Rarity from falling, so during some days I watched tons of images and memes of Rainbow Dash, that cool equine with an aerodynamic figure and an awesome voice and attitude.

Eventually, I told my younger siblings that I was very intrigated of why do adult men watched MLP, so I could watch videos about the series without damaging my public image xD. The moment I realized I needed to admit to everybody that I found all that stuff kind of funny was when I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABT_89XhMM. It was not even too hilarious, it was just likeable, pleasant to look at. I showed the video to them, and they agreed with me. I kept on watching funny moments compilations until I decided I had enough and I needed to watch an entire episode.

The first episode I watched was Testing Testing, 1, 2, 3. When I was done I felt I needed more. It was like a drug. When I had watched about 3 or 4 random episodes I said to myself, "hey, why don't you watch the series from the beginning?" "No wait, do you actually like it? Not only interested but you enjoy the show and want to follow the story in order?"

And I answered to myself:

EEYUP!

And that's how Equestria was made.