Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Things that became popular for no real reason

Gourgeist

I've been thinking a lot about how things that got popular. Then I got Garry's Mod and saw a lot of Hatsune Miku. I had no idea who she was, and people were telling me it's from vocaliod. I thought it was some cool anime but it turns out it literally came from nothing important or special (in my onion(Speeleld wrong on purpose)). 

What have you guys noticed become popular for no real reason whatsoever? 

• Brohoof 1

There is this thing that I have been looking into, it had something to do with democracy and anarchy. I figured it was the work if those damned French Revolutionists, this thing called Twitch Plays Pokemon. I for one will put a stop to these traitors or die trying.

• Brohoof 2

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Justin Bieber, definitely.

From what I've gathered, he's definitely worse now than he was then, but he never deserved the enormous following he has now. He's a decent singer, and a crappy person. That's my take on it.

• Brohoof 2

I'm gonna upset a lot of you. But I have to say FIM. Even though I'm a brony, just jumped on the bandwagon. What I want to know is why did a bunch of twentysomethings suddenly decide to sit down and watch a girls show!

In a nutshell, 4chan wanted to make fun of the show and lament how Lauren Faust is kowtowing to a toy company. Then alot of them actually took a liking to the show and the rest is history.

• Brohoof 3

MLP  - I dunno, it just seemed to come <Jim Ross> OUTTA NOWHAR BAH GAWD </Jim Ross> Like the entire fandom seemed to slowly materialise for no real reason and slowly clumped together, confused that they're sharing love for this thing.

Flappy Birds - Proof that getting rich must be easier than thought because people eat this shit up like hotcakes.

Gangnam Style/What Does The Fox Say?/Insert Stupid Crappy Catchy Bollocks Song Here - Honestly, most song fads these days become popular for no real reason. It seems to range from "I like the song" to "HURR HURR FUNNY DANCE" to "LIEK AWMAHGERD IT LOOKS SO COOL".

The Royal Family [in America] - Okay, no, seriously, what the fuck, America? You spent several years trying to free yourself from Britain's oppressive chains, managed it, but recently, you fawn over them more than WE do. You want them? Take them. TAKE THEM ALL! Why are they so popular? What's with the cooing over a stupid little vomiting baby that will be brought up with fifty quintillion silver spoons in its mouth while its countrymen slowly die from poverty and starvation? Screw you, America. If you love them so much, HAVE THEM! Just pay for the shipping.

Trixie - Screw her.

• Brohoof 3

DOGE!

Seriously, people are inventing a currency now off this stupid picture of a dog with a weird CGI-esque expression. I don't even know what the obsession is; maybe if it was a meme that was actually FUNNY.

I actually do agree with some of the above posters that in a lot of ways, it's hard to put your finger on one particular reason that MLP is as popular as it is. It's funny, and heartfelt, but I think a lot of decent shows are like that. There's probably a very long list of reasons, that just seem to collectively add up.

• Brohoof 1