general media Things that became popular for no real reason

Gourgeist

Here's just a list:

Gangnam style or whatever

What does the fox say?

Angry birds

Flappy bird

etc.

Agree with all except Angry Birds... I know it seems pointless and the game is quite over rated but... It's a lot better than flappy bird, graphics wise, and also the story variety behind each level... so yeah I can see why :P

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Justin Bieber, definitely.

From what I've gathered, he's definitely worse now than he was then, but he never deserved the enormous following he has now. He's a decent singer, and a crappy person. That's my take on it.

I think I will always question his existence :P

I'm gonna upset a lot of you. But I have to say FIM. Even though I'm a brony, just jumped on the bandwagon. What I want to know is why did a bunch of twentysomethings suddenly decide to sit down and watch a girls show!

4chan...

This thing.

img-2352930-1-SuperS.jpg

Like, where did it even start, and why have kids worldwide idly doodle this onto homework assignments, notes, and their own skin?

OH YES! This! I mean... Where?

Just my opinion but I'll say it

Beanie Babies and Angry Bird, sadly I got sucked in on the Babies one... But I don't get why now lol.

Beanie Babies were so cute! That's why! And I guess because they all had stories behind them :P

And my own contribution... Temple Run... I mean... What the heck?!

Most memes in general are a case of things becoming popular for no reason. MLP has plenty of them (Twilicane and Gak being two of the most infamous) but a good case in point would be the recent "Lovers in the snow" images that have been popping up everywhere showcasing two random characters talking to a reporter, the one talking carrying an umbrella while the other is covering their face with whatever appendages they may have in embarrassment.

Why is it popular? Your guess is as good as mine. 

The brony fandom.

seriously... I have no idea why it even became popular. Back then I thought it was weird, and hell I still think its weird! And look at me! I am in the fandom myself... Some things just have no explanations as to why they are popular. 

• Brohoof 1

Here's a reason why everything nowadays become popular, high schoolers that smoke "weed". In my opinion they smoke dirt.

Flappy Bird

What does the fox say?

Twerking

Royal British family

MLP(JK we made it popular as F and for good reason)

And a very overused joke that's really annoying,"HAAAAAAAAAAAAA, GAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Oohhh, kill em!

SHARKEISHA!!

MLP  - I dunno, it just seemed to come <Jim Ross> OUTTA NOWHAR BAH GAWD </Jim Ross> Like the entire fandom seemed to slowly materialise for no real reason and slowly clumped together, confused that they're sharing love for this thing.

Flappy Birds - Proof that getting rich must be easier than thought because people eat this shit up like hotcakes.

Gangnam Style/What Does The Fox Say?/Insert Stupid Crappy Catchy Bollocks Song Here - Honestly, most song fads these days become popular for no real reason. It seems to range from "I like the song" to "HURR HURR FUNNY DANCE" to "LIEK AWMAHGERD IT LOOKS SO COOL".

The Royal Family [in America] - Okay, no, seriously, what the fuck, America? You spent several years trying to free yourself from Britain's oppressive chains, managed it, but recently, you fawn over them more than WE do. You want them? Take them. TAKE THEM ALL! Why are they so popular? What's with the cooing over a stupid little vomiting baby that will be brought up with fifty quintillion silver spoons in its mouth while its countrymen slowly die from poverty and starvation? Screw you, America. If you love them so much, HAVE THEM! Just pay for the shipping.

Trixie - Screw her.

My goodness Big Fellah.  Don't be so shy about expressing your feelings.  :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna go somewhat far back here and say Uggs and crocs

like why

why did EVERYONE have to have a pair of these things?

Men even started wearing them ;a;

and they were the ugliest things on the planet

I mean, I know they're supposed to be comfy, but wth, sneakers are comfy too and a lot less ugly!

In a nutshell, 4chan wanted to make fun of the show and lament how Lauren Faust is kowtowing to a toy company. Then alot of them actually took a liking to the show and the rest is history.

biggest plot twist in the history of plot twists

Arizona iced tea.

How did a 1 dollar tea company become a multi billion dollar franchise?

*sips arizona tea*

I don't know.

Edited by TheChosenPony
  • Brohoof 1

In a nutshell, 4chan wanted to make fun of the show and lament how Lauren Faust is kowtowing to a toy company. Then alot of them actually took a liking to the show and the rest is history.

biggest plot twist in the history of plot twists

Arizona iced tea.

How did a 1 dollar tea company become a multi billion dollar franchise?

*sips arizona tea*

I don't know.

Never tried it myself so I can't say other than it's cheap, it tastes good, the size of the drink, and the bottle itself have to be factors into it's popularity.

• Brohoof 1

K-Pop. I cannot understand why people always pay attention to Japan rather than any other countries.

uh, k pop is from korea, j pop is japanese

as for the thread,   i ndont understand why exotics and tuners became so popular? seriously american muscle all the way,

MLP  - I dunno, it just seemed to come <Jim Ross> OUTTA NOWHAR BAH GAWD </Jim Ross> Like the entire fandom seemed to slowly materialise for no real reason and slowly clumped together, confused that they're sharing love for this thing.

Flappy Birds - Proof that getting rich must be easier than thought because people eat this shit up like hotcakes.

Gangnam Style/What Does The Fox Say?/Insert Stupid Crappy Catchy Bollocks Song Here - Honestly, most song fads these days become popular for no real reason. It seems to range from "I like the song" to "HURR HURR FUNNY DANCE" to "LIEK AWMAHGERD IT LOOKS SO COOL".

The Royal Family [in America] - Okay, no, seriously, what the fuck, America? You spent several years trying to free yourself from Britain's oppressive chains, managed it, but recently, you fawn over them more than WE do. You want them? Take them. TAKE THEM ALL! Why are they so popular? What's with the cooing over a stupid little vomiting baby that will be brought up with fifty quintillion silver spoons in its mouth while its countrymen slowly die from poverty and starvation? Screw you, America. If you love them so much, HAVE THEM! Just pay for the shipping.

Trixie - Screw her

i agree with all but trixie lol

Humans deal in the business of pointless fame, tis' our prerogative to create some of the stupidest entertainment imaginable. As social animals, we always need something to pay attention to, whether it's because we genuinely believe it is good or like mocking it. I imagine most things that are popular are that way for no real reason. I've never seen something become famous because of how practical it is.

I've never seen somebody devote a fan club to the wheel.

Some examples of pointless fame:

-Blu Ray (We didn't need another disk-based medium while it's already well on it's way out.)

-Call of Duty (Extends to any "generic" modern real-life based shooter.)

-Princess Luna (I'm preparing my riot shield as I type this, but she has no real character development. The only really good thing about her I can think of is her design. She's pretty much just the pony version of AFI at this point in her character development.)

-Touch Screen Computers (Sure, they're cool, and can be useful on a professional level. But when it comes to home entertainment, the only real reason for their popularity is that they're different, not that they're more useful than a conventional keyboard and mouse. The exception to this is Tablets, where touch screens are very useful.)

-Pop Music (Self-explanatory)

-Mass-Produced Mobile Games (I still have no idea why people play such generic garbage, but really, whatever floats your boat.)

-Dubstep (I'm not arguing about the quality of Dubstep, but I will say that there was no "building up" period for it. Unlike, say, the progression that led to Rock becoming a genre. I can't really say I know of any genre that is the direct predecessor of modern Dubstep as we know it. Feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate.)

Edited by Singularity
  • Brohoof 1

I have no idea what flappy bird is ..

Put me down for Twitch Plays Pokemon though. I don't care for pokemon personally, but I can understand (I guess) why other people like it. What I can't understand is how it's improved via the equivalent of having ten thousand little brothers mashing on your controller while you try to play. How is that fun?

• 8 years later...