Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any tricks you can do with your mind?

Courageous Thunder Dash

Okay, so this just came into my mind. You know how some people can do cool tricks with their mind? Well, I happen to be one of those people. 

So get this...I have a "jukebox" inside my head. This means, I'm conscious of what song plays in my head and I could change it wherever, whenever. "Smile Song" is now playing in my head but...I just changed it to "This Day Aria". Cool huh?

Any mind tricks you can do?

• Brohoof 3

That's pretty clever... I could say I have a dodgy jukebox xD sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't xD

My mind is pretty good at picturing things as I read or hear them... Which is handymen it comes to reading... But what I used to do as a kid when I was going to sleep is I would pretend I put a video into a cassette player and that would be my dream... Like a movie... So if I woke up from a bad dream I would imagine taking out the scary video cassette and replacing it with a nice one... You can tell it was a long time ago because DVDs weren't common at all!

@@JellyBean,

Oh now that's cool. Another trick of mine is that, when I'm about to compose a song, I can hear the finished product in my mind! Also, when I see certain things, I can create a melody in my head unconsciously, which can and will lead to a new composition.  

I dream up story ideas... I have like whole plots come to me at night xD the. I wake up and it's like a race against the clock to scribble the ideas down before it disappears xD when I'm writing I visualise the characters like I'm watching a movie :P

Plus sometimes I can say word for word at the same time exactly what someone is saying to me (in my head) as they speak... It's creepy and it doesn't happen too often but yeah...

I am constantly creating complex plans in my head for any eventuality, most of which are so unlikely as to approach statistically impossible. I find myself in the grocery store, meticulously planning every detail of what I will do if someone starts shooting. I have a plan that, if typed, would be pages and pages long, specifically for when I wake up in the middle of the night to find my bedroom filled with venomous snakes. I know exactly what I will do if I am held at gunpoint on my porch by organized crime figures who have mistaken me for someone else. I have a detailed agenda for when a pack of coyotes accidentally get let into my basement. I could go on and on. 

• Brohoof 2

@@lighting flash,

Oh now that is awesome! When did you learn to do that? 

I honestly don't know. I love any type of music and I love making films and taking photos. (Want to make a living out of it) And it started happening when I was 12. Sometimes it's annoying for the songs I don't like. But I love it though. I hope I can make some of the a real music video of them someday! :)

I can recreate entire scenarios.

When I mean this I mean it. I could replay the entire movie, watch battles, map out an invasion.

I do this in my head all the time. People ask why I don't sleep, and this is why. My brain doesn't stop D:

• Brohoof 2

These aren't really mind tricks. they're just detailed thoughts of the imagination and fast witty thinking.

I love to pull off that trick that Captain Jack Sparrow pulls off with the two royal navy men to confuse them enough that they get distracted and have a discussion while he sneaks past them. Also, sometimes I just phase out and start hearing music in my head really clearly that I've never heard before. Picturing things in my head, plotting immediate reactions and strategies to random and very unlikely things, and having things like battles in my backyard for me is easy. unfortunately having it form from pen to paper, not so much

I often simultaneously consider several different viewpoints that people might have on a subject. unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out how to take one and adopt it as my opinion. That is why it will take me a full day just to formulate a response to an argument. 

I have that "jukebox" thing... also, I can remember every details of any songs, even "Supper's Ready", which last 20 minutes. And I mean every single details.

I listen to music all day long lol.

Also, I have a little problem in methematics.. I'm quite good at doing everything in my head. So I usually find the answer before even knowing what to do on the paper. I sux in maths because of this. :/

I have what you call the 'Jukebox' ability too, consciously aware of what song is in my mind. I noticed this as I am a huge fan of music and often get bored easily, so I listen to whatever is on my mental radio station. Since I can't really stay on task, the songs tend to switch fast.

I am constantly creating complex plans in my head for any eventuality, most of which are so unlikely as to approach statistically impossible. I find myself in the grocery store, meticulously planning every detail of what I will do if someone starts shooting. I have a plan that, if typed, would be pages and pages long, specifically for when I wake up in the middle of the night to find my bedroom filled with venomous snakes. I know exactly what I will do if I am held at gunpoint on my porch by organized crime figures who have mistaken me for someone else. I have a detailed agenda for when a pack of coyotes accidentally get let into my basement. I could go on and on.

This is totally what I do! :)

---

I know exactly what to do at a zombie apocalypse, alien attack, captured, stranded on an island, given 3 wishes by a genie and many more things that could (at a 0.01% chance) happen to me. I call it the minds conspiracy wall.

"Smile Song" is now playing in my head

Strange coincidence: I was just practicing playing this song on my keyboard :) (after trying some fragments from "Atlantis: The Lost Empire").

Hmm... tricks of the mind you want? Let me think...

I learned myself to operate mathematical formulas by transforming them into geometry. I can then play around with them in my imagination in this geometrical form, find solutions, and transform back into equations. This could be pretty useful sometimes.

E.g. once my brother has shown me a geometric problem of finding the length of the diagonal of a 2x4 rectangle. I just told him the answer by mere looking at the image without thinking: "Oh, you mean two square roots of five?" He was completely stunned! :) He asked me: "How did you do that so fast?!". I replied: "Well, it's simple. I know that in 1x2 rectangle the diagonal is root five, so I just doubled it, since your rectangle is twice as big." Then he was still amazed: "OK, I get it, but how did you know the root five?" And I drew him this trigonometric spiral:

img-2355398-1-TrigSpiral.png

and I pointed at the square root of five as a diagonal between 1 and 2 perpendiculars (one can think of them as the sides of a rectangle 2x1).

I also figured out how to solve quadratic equations in my head, without the need for using the infamous quadratic formula. Most equations are so simple that such formula isn't needed at all, and using it is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. And even in the most complex case, where all terms are present, you don't really need this formula. You can just complete the square, which also can be done geometrically in your head:

img-2355398-2-CompSqr_anim.gif

I use a similar method to always remember the short multiplication formula for square of the binomial:

img-2355398-3-Kwadrat_sumy.png

and it can be easily extended to 3D ;)

So I don't need to remember those formulas anymore: I can just picture this in my head and read out the formula from it as from a book :)

The deep understanding of geometry behind equations also allows me to solve some simple differential equations in my head. For example, once my friend has shown me an equation he had trouble with. If I remember well, it was something like y" - 2y' = 0 (a difference between the second derivative of some function y and twice its first derivative equal to zero). I almost immediately told him the answer: y = Ae2x + B, where A and B could be any constants (just some numbers). He was totally stunned!  :) because they solve similar equations for about 15 minutes and scribble the whole blackboard in their undergraduate school :P He asked me what devil magic I used to solve that so quickly. And I told him what my stream of thought was. It was something like this:

"Well, first I reordered it this way: y" = 2y', which means that the second derivative of my function has to be twice as big as its first derivative. You can also express it like this: y"/y' = 2, which means that the ratio of first and second derivatives should be 2.

There's only one function in mathematics which is always proportional to its derivative: the exponential function, ex. When you differentiate it, it passes through differentiation untouched. But if there's something in the exponent, you need to take its rate of change (which should be 2 in this case, since we want its second derivative to be twice as big) and scale the function by that (that is, multiply 2 times). So one possible answer is y1 = e2x. But this is a second-order equation, so we need two independent solutions. What could be the other one?

Well, a derivative of any constant is zero (because it doesn't change), so if y is any constant, we have 0 = 2*0, which is also true, so the other possible answer is y2 = B (where B is some constant). Now you just add these solutions up, scaled by some constants: y  =  A y1 + B y2  =  A e2x + B."

Of course it flashed in my head quicker than I can describe it with words, because I use images for that, which are always quicker than words.

Does it qualify as a trick? :P

Because for most people it can look as trickery or Magic.

But it's only when you don't know the secret of the trick ;-J

I can do 4 digit multiplication in my head.   It wasn't even that hard to learn. My brain just works like that, you know?

Nice! That's what I'd like to learn myself too. Can you teach me that?

Is it somehow related to Vedic Mathematics? Or did you just invent it yourself?

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

I am also able to fantasize while lying in bed, creating different scenarios or movies.

This is something most people can do though, it's called thinking  :lol:

However I do have an "ability" of sorts which I've had since I was a kid.

Imagine the fantasy world you created while playing with toys as a kid. It's almost like that I do.

I am lying in bed holding an object in the air and looking at it. By turning this object and moving it around I can "look around" in a fantasy of mine.

This object however isn't an toy. I have had the best results using an AAA battery actually.

This object represents objects and movements in the world I create, almost like a link between my fantasy and the real world.

I have had a LOT of fun with this ability, as I can create and be a part of any movie or fantasy I like.

The problem is my character often ends up being a marry sue, and I'm rarely able to change that fact. 

So lately I have been bored of the stories I end up getting  :(

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so this just came into my mind. You know how some people can do cool tricks with their mind? Well, I happen to be one of those people. 

So get this...I have a "jukebox" inside my head. This means, I'm conscious of what song plays in my head and I could change it wherever, whenever. "Smile Song" is now playing in my head but...I just changed it to "This Day Aria". Cool huh?

Any mind tricks you can do?

Same here!

In an odd way, I can instantly select what do I want to listen if the songs were great enough.