S04:E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies  

309 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Definitely an... interesting episode. Yeah, "interesting" is a good adjective. I didn't really enjoy this episode but I didn't dislike it, either.

I felt the episode was a little boring with the repetitive scenes which the Breezies keep trying to stay with FlutterShy.

I get that was supposed to be the point; showing that FlutterShy kept giving in to their every whim.

I honestly found the Breezies to be annoying and their designs left a lot to be desired. They should have resembled ponies in a more prominent way.

I found them annoying because they acted so incredibly stupid.

I get that they liked feeling cared for with FlutterShy, but they became so oblivious that I wanted to jump through the screen and scream "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ALL DOING? GO HOME!"

I'm sorry but I get easily irked by individuals (cartoon or not) who are blinded by something such as FlutterShy as much as they did.

The only Breezie I liked was SeaBreeze. Even though he was rude at times, he was right! They had to get going! Again, even if SeaBreeze was being rash, it just irritated me that no other Breezie would even consider listening to him in the SLIGHTEST.

I sorta liked SeaBreeze's brash attitude and his sweater. It was cute xD

(By the way, I actually thought SeaBreeze was a female until it was announced he wasn't).

FlutterShy's attitude and actions in this episode were totally believable. I mean, she IS the kind of pony who would be afraid of hurting someone's feelings in fear they would be mad at her. I can totally relate to that; I fear others will get upset with me if I say no.

I was surprised this was FlutterShy's key episode because all of the other key episodes included the name of the character who would get that key in the title of the episode. Such as "Rainbow Falls" or "Pinkie Pride" (see the correlation)?

Anyway.. This episode wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. It was just... There.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Could you guys tell the difference between the male and female Breezies?

I couldn't.  I didn't even know Seabreeze was a dude, mainly because of his colors, voice and rounded muzzle...

EDIT:  Oh yeah, and the eyelashes :P

Edited by Neon Fire

(edited)

Didn't like it. In fact, had you caught me an hour ago, I'd say I hated it. It's just a G3 episode with a few shallow G4 bells and whistles hung about to distract the audience. The story is boring and uninteresting, the moral was way too obvious and permeated the entire affair (it was a nice moral, but one can't help but feel they were whacked over the head with it at every turn), the central conflict is uninteresting because we don't really understand what the breezies are or what they are trying to accomplish, not to mention the fact that it's never explained why they didn't want to go home, the character writing is all around sub-par (oh look, Pinkie's a complete spazoid for no reason while Rarity forces fashion into every single thing she says), and it feels like some thinly-veiled commercial. Which it is, but I'd rather the production team at least tried to not be so obvious.

And then the ending comes along.

That was one of the stupidest things that has ever happened in the entirety of the series.

You cannot distract me with your Doctor Whooves!

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 3

we are finally getting further with the rainbow power thing, yay!

Flutters as adorable as ever, and then getting shrinked, HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

It wasn't a bad episode despite the lack of events. I especially loved the end when everypony turned into a breezy. Damn Twilight just happens to have a spell for everything, doesn't she? XD 

After watching again and thinking about the episode for a while, I realized that it was not really the breezies that really got me, but all the care the ponies dispense upon them. I mean, they crossed Equestria... Did the ponies actually set up teams to keep the breeze going to take the little things home? I mean... How much caring do they require?! A freaking leaf ruined their day. Too much of a breeze might as well kill them. Kinda made me think about Winter Wrap Up. I'd like to know more about the breezies. Was their home in another world? What do they DO with the pollen?! Eat it, I guess. Is it some sort of annual thing? Do they come to Equestria, harvest the pollen and leave? Why do they need to cross Equestria to do this?!

Maybe Seabreeze is the actual intelligent breezie and the others are... Well, I don't want to say "stupid", but... Uh... Not so intelligent? "Distracted"? Do they really need him as a leader? That would explain their behavior, I guess, getting so attached to Fluttershy because she was kind to them, despite the need to go home, while Seabreeze would, very understandably push them hard to go back.

Because I know people will say it... Maybe the rest of the group managed to keep going because all they needed to do was follow the breeze without too much need for guidance?

Also, I finally managed to see that male brezzies have a round eye, while the females have a different eye form...

• Brohoof 2

I liked this episode but in typical British fashion (I'm only joking kids) i'm gonna talk about the bad things then the good things!

So for about half the episode I thought seabreeze was a girl (oops :unsure: ) but the only difference was the eye and I guess the black suit thing ???? His voice wasn't even manly! The Breezies hair seemed to glitch, especially Rainbow dashes when she transformed which was quite funny  XD. One thing I didn't get from the episode was what the Breezies really are, many questions about them went unanswered for me.

I did like the whole 'yay' thing coming back and this episode made me like Fluttershy a lot more! I know it looks like I hated this episode but I just pointed out the bad points, everything else I loved!  

• Brohoof 1

I gotta agree with the folks saying this episode looked like a big, boring commercial for a whole new line of toys.  My wife pointed out that G1 had a line of ponies with thin, cellophane butterfly-like wings that would flap with the press of a button, and that they were constantly breaking so that the ponies looked more like they had weird mutations on their backs.  It seems pretty obvious that Hasbro's looking to bring that back here.  And the half-assed nature of this episode gives me hope that DHX doesn't like having this crap forced on it.

The plot was contrived, the execution was forced, the moral (while good in itself) was heavy-handed, and the rainbow-key moment was predictable as all heck.  I didn't feel like I could connect with ANY of the Mane 6 on this one - Fluttershy included, and that comes across to me as a big failure for the episode.  The "Everyone becomes a Breezy" resolution was ... I dunno, I can't bring myself to say it was a shark-jump, but it felt awfully close.  I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time finding anything I actually LIKED about this episode.

About the only two redeeming qualities I feel this episode has are that Sea Breeze was a pretty decent character, and that nothing in it was as particularly grating as "TWILIGHT TIME!  TWILIGHT TIME!".  Initial impression, though, is that this episode is third-worst of the season, behind "TWILIGHT TIME!" and Daring Don't.

Season 4, unfortunately, has also firmly established itself as "Screaming Pinkie" and "Spike-Bashing" Season.  Pinkie needs some Valium, and Spike needs to find a new home.  *grump*

• Brohoof 4

As for the whole "this episode is totes adorb" thing...no, didn't really see it, personally. The breezies looked a bit too weird ("The one in skin-tight black is a dude?!") or were a bit too annoying for me to find them cute. It certainly didn't help that the characters themselves kept on focusing on how cute they were, as if the writers were trying to get me to agree with them.

The Norwegian accents were kind of cute. But otherwise...ehhhh...

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, not a horrible episode, but these last 3 have actually made my positive opinion of the season go down. I mean, I loved Seabreeze's accent, and I love the Doctor Who reference, but... these last 3 episodes look to me as everypony has lost their characteristics. One line I did very much enjoy, however, was when Rarity had her blinding dress on, and she said that business with the purple, and Twilight was like "WHAT?!"

But that last part, I just screamed "NO!"

Edited by Ducksquack

Love the intro playing on reverse of Dash teaching Fluttershy to cheer louder, way back when. Also enjoyed the mariachi band, sudden Flutterglasses to deal with Rarity's latest over-the-top fashion design, in this instance of which she had two prepared. Over-the-top-ception.

Overall, I find the Breezies to be rather interesting, and amusing. They're interesting, because they're one of the few examples of a sentient, intelligent species of non-pony mythical creature that's that small, are the first species reminiscent of fairies or sprites, and have a vague nostalgia about them that caters to G1, which is cool in its' own way. As someone on Derpibooru has said, it must be fascinating to get to work with a show like this, where you're free to be as creatively inclined as you like for the most part, but also have the ability to dabble in references from the past incarnations of the franchise's shows, should the opportunity arise.

As for why they're amusing, the breezies are to ponies what ponies are to bronies, essentially. Bronies see ponies as small(ish), cute, adorable, huggable precious things that must (essentially) be cuddled and treated with care (though grimdark fans would highly disagree, but I don't count them as human anyway so they're a non-issue </3). The ponies share pretty much all these traits with their feelings towards breezies. So, ultimately, they-

That one breezie is wearing a mushroom for a hat ermergherd <33333333

Ultimately, another great Fluttershy episode, making her two spotlight episodes so far this season two very good ones. An interesting theme, hitting on the nose of, 'There is such a thing as being too kind, and that can easily lead to things such as being over-protective, or as in this case, allowing yourself to wait hoof and foot at the slightest excuse. While kindness is wonderful to give and is appreciated, you cannot let people take advantage of you for it. Things you care for are also meant to take care of themselves the way they're supposed to be doing. In turn this all lead to her key, which was pretty neat.

--

Also, Pinkie's portrayal was once again wonderfully handled. If people could pass off her writing in Filli Vanilli as a yet again perfect example of Singular Episode Writer Inaccuracy Syndrome and move on, that'd be super duper, seeing as I'm still seeing Pinkie's character getting unfair repercussions from that episode :3 If you are to play the blame game instead of taking things wisely in stride, blame the writer(s) for that singular event, not the ponies and their characters as a whole, or even the writers as a whole.

• Brohoof 4

A weak episode followed by a weaker episode. MLP is dead. No good can follow this train wreck!

*looks at Season 3*

*Looks at the two Spike episodes*

*Looks at Pinkie Pride*

Bu-but. DOOOOM!! This show is doomed. Two weak episodes in a row! No show can recover!

• Brohoof 1

A weak episode followed by a weaker episode. MLP is dead. No good can follow this train wreck!

*looks at Season 3*

*Looks at the two Spike episodes*

*Looks at Pinkie Pride*

Bu-but. DOOOOM!! This show is doomed. Two weak episodes in a row! No show can recover!

I sincerely hope you're joking. Two weak episodes in a row doesn't spell doom - all of the seasons have had two weak ones in a row at some point, but the show has survived anyway. But I do think they're at risk now - I've been fearing the dreaded shark jump moments, and I'm really torn on whether we've hit that point. Earlier, I said it was in Pinkie Pride with the live- action sequences, but I later decided that wasn't so bad since it was in context to the scene. Now, I feel the resolution to this episode (Twilight just happens to remember an ultra powerful spell that transforms them all into Breezies) is dangerously close, if not over the line.

Between the characters all feeling a lot more shallow in the last few weeks than in previous seasons, and the plots seeming to reach further each time, I really do wonder if you might be right. :/

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Since when has Twilight NOT had a convenient spell to fix the problem?

Even in Season 2, she had her "failsafe spell" which failed due to the fact that Discord is just too powerful for a mere unicorn to overcome.

Edited by SolarFox

(edited)

Don't really see where all the negativity is coming from. I found it to be really nice and enjoyable. No complaints really.

I loved the Breezies, especially Seabreeze. Yeah, not much happened and I can see how people could find it "boring" but in all honestly a lot of episodes have a similar pacing. Some may say it's an obvious attempt to sell more toys, and this is likely true, but I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't take away from the show's quality and as long as they are enjoyable characters, which they are

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly? Worst S4 Episode by far. Nothing at all makes sense, the 'Breezification' of the Mane 6 wasn't needed, Pinkie was, once again, being plain annoying and the Breezies creep me out. This is probably the first episode I legit did not enjoy. I even liked Mare-Do-Well more than this, if u'm being completely honest. The only thing I liked was the Scandinavianish language the Breezies spoke, but that's about it.

• Brohoof 2

This episode was plain disappointing. Mainly because of the final moral. Sometimes you have to be not nice to get others to listen? I know that the writers probably meant something different such as "being nice but also firm and that being kind isn't just about being a pushover" but it also doesn't mean forcing others to do something if you think it's for their own good, which is what the episode seemed to say.

• Brohoof 4

I personally didn't really enjoy it. I know I couldn't wait for the episode to be over because of how dull and uninteresting it was. It didn't help the fact that when the mane 6 were "Breezie-fied", it felt more like a G3 episode than anything. I liked SeaBreeze but all of the other breezies just annoyed me. I thought they were more odd and weird looking than "cute". I didn't enjoy the moral either since it just felt 'off' to me.

"Pushing them away may seem cruel, but it's sometimes the kindest thing you can do." It just sounded really odd to me. I understand the whole "You may be kind but sometimes you have to know when to put your foot down" part, but I felt like it could be said a lot better. 

• Brohoof 3

Meh. Worst episode of the series so far. It wasn't exactly bad but it just wasn't very interesting to me and was lacking in memorable moments. It would make sense if this episode was written to push a new toy line.

my boyfriend and I thought it was the worst episode. There were just so.. many... things.... that I hated about it >_<

Goodie.  Would you mind sharing it with the rest of the class?

Anyway, what do Dragonball Z, Futurama, A Bug's Life, and Fraggle Rock have in common?  All will be referenced in my review of the episode.