S04:E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies  

309 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Nothing much I can say about this one, tbh. I liked it, but at the same time I wasn't all that invested in it. Seabreeze was easily the best part, I was on a massive giggle fit when she--oh sorry, HE spoke the first time. I have to ask, how in the world do they determine a breezie's gender when they've all got huge eyelashes? That's usually the best indicator, especially with folks with high-pitched voices. There was just no clear clue at all until Fluttershy outright said it. @~@

One more thing: when the leaf broke off and ran into the breezies it brought to mind the beginning of A Bug's Life. I would've laughed my ass off if one of them shouted "I'M LOST!!!!!" be it in English or their own little gibberish. XP That would've made my day.

• Brohoof 1

This episode was good, not particularly my favorite of Season 4, but good nonetheless. I enjoyed seeing the Breezies appear, they were adorable and their Scottish accents were so cute and reminded me of Disney's Brave. I also loved the moral in this episode, and I see Fluttershy got her key, which is a flower, weird I guess the whole mane 6's names in the titles isn't the case. That spell Twilight used however, that was freaking weird, I didn't particularly enjoy that part, but what Rainbow Dash said afterwards was funny. All in all a good episode, 9/10!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

OK, well, this review should be pretty short.  Not that the episode was bad or anything, it accomplished what it wanted and needed to just fine.  But for a key episode, or an episode in general, "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" was just pretty boring and forgettable, despite doing some things quite well.  So, without further ado, let's get started.

First I guess we'll cover Fluttershy and the Breezies, seeing as there's not much to say about either of them and they were pretty interconnected in this episode.  Both groups learned good lessons (will cover those more extensively in the next section) and learned something from one another.  It's strange that, for her key episode of all things, Fluttershy didn't really do anything that was incredibly adorable or noteworthy (besides the bee costume I suppose, that was pretty cute).  I did sort of like how grounded she was and that she was also in full-on animal caretaker mode and displayed no timidity whatsoever; it just gets old sometimes when Fluttershy's biggest recurring problem is her insecurity and fear of doing something (take your pick, there's a lot of things she's afraid of  :blush:), so I did appreciate that here she faced a dilemma in showering creatures with too much kindness instead.  The Breezies themselves actually weren't that cute, at least I didn't think so; the cutest thing about them was actually their Scandinavian accents of all things!  :lol:   Now don't get me wrong, they didn't do anything unforgivable either, again, like Fluttershy here they just didn't leave that much of an impression on me, that's all.  That's not as bad as being, well, just plain bad, but still, any film or television critic who knows their stuff knows that a cardinal sin of any form of media is to not really leave an impression of any kind, be it good or bad feelings, on the viewer.  I know some people seem to think this episode was great, so if you saw something that you found particularly endearing, good for you, but for me, this episode just didn't leave that much of an impression, most notably in its two main characters, Fluttershy and the Breezies.  Don't really have anything bad to say about them, but I don't really have anything good to say about them either.  They were just all very forgettable here, and I have mixed feelings about that.

The lessons learned here, on the other hand, actually save this episode from being a bad one in my eyes.  Not only were they executed very handily, with plenty of time devoted to both of them, but they were just plain good lessons in general.  On one side you had Sea Breeze (who is awesome by the way, just gotta get that out there, that guy is hands down best Breezy!  B)) teaching Fluttershy about "tough love" and why sometimes it's actually more harmful than helpful to coddle someone with unconditional, endless love and adoration, and on the other side you had Fluttershy teaching Sea Breeze how, even though there is a time and place for tough love, one can't let it get out of control, otherwise it'll devolve into just plain nastiness and mean-spirited put-downs without any kind of meaningful, helpful support.  Good lessons all-around, and even better, there are a lot of real-world parallels where these lessons could be applied, both in big or small scenarios (including U.S. politics, believe it or not, if you think about it a bit).  Definitely one of the most smartly-written and executed lessons in awhile on this show, and easily my favorite aspect of this episode.

As for the rest of the cast here, I guess we'll just lump all the supporting characters and background characters in here in one section.  Like Fluttershy and the Breezies, the Mane 6 didn't do anything terribly offensive here, they just didn't leave much of an impression.  No matter how tense or worried RD tried to be during the Breezy sequences, I just couldn't really get into those scenes myself; not trying to sound mean or anything, but I just wasn't convinced or sold on how high the stakes were.  That has nothing to do with the small size of the Breezies really (though that aesthetic aspect doesn't help), but more really with the fact that we didn't know that much about them, and so it was a little difficult caring about something we the viewers didn't know that much about, at least I thought so.  And can I just say that there was WAYYYYY too much time devoted to Rainbow working on getting those breezes just right?  It may have been crucial to the plot, but it got so boring at times that it seriously felt like filler, it really did.  Pinkie and Rarity both had some fun moments, but overall, like I said, none of the Mane 6 left that much of an impression either.  Spike's goof up was hilarious just because it was so predictable (seriously saw that coming from a mile away  ^_^), but he just kind of disappeared from the episode after that.  The other background ponies didn't do too much of note either, aside from Doctor Whooves and Roseluck showing up together later in the episode in a pretty clever Doctor Who nod (though I still have mixed feelings about those two showing up so much together, after all, the Doctor is DERPY'S WAIFU!!!  :angry:).  Overall, like Fluttershy and the Breezies, no other character really left much of an impression, and I just found that boring in general.

Nothing too noteworthy to talk about concerning animation, comedy, or music, everything was pretty standard fare here.  The one thing that was really notable were those Breezy-transformations at the end, and those were just plain terrifying.  They worked in the plot I guess, they didn't feel too phoned-in or anything, but I still didn't really care for them and it was also a poorly-veiled move to launch a new toy line, which I'm guessing Hasbro has every intention of doing.  Ah well, at least these transformations, even if I didn't find them aesthetically appealing, had far more of a purpose than those terrifying and pointless human-horse hybrid transformations in "Equestria Girls" *shudders recalling that bad memory  :unsure:*.  Overall, this episode's biggest sin is that it's boring, forgettable, and didn't leave much of an impression, at least not on me.  It handled the lesson and Fluttershy's receiving her key just fine, but nothing else here really moved me.  All in all, I'm sad to say it, but this might be my least favorite episode of the season so far.  Sure it was okay, and other episode's might've been worse, but at least those episodes made me feel something.  This episode just didn't make me feel anything, so overall, all I have to say about it really is "meh".  :mellow:   Sorry Flutters.  :(

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Just saw this episode! It was absolutely fantastic! I loved Seabreeze. The Doctor Who reference was awesome. Fluttershy was great in this episode (actually, everyone was!), and she learned a very good lesson. I really liked this episode more than I thought I would.

Edited by Creativity

One of my favorite Rarity moments happened in this episode!! :wub::D

YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY SEQUINS.

:wub:

Alright, down to brass tax.

img-2361620-1-rarity_armor_by_dashin_staThere were two things that really stood out to me in this episode: The aforementioned scene with the sequins that was incredibly in-depth and an enjoyable thing to see (which, no matter how I word it, it's just me and my creepy love bond with fashion pone being put on display...again :P ) and the character Seabreeze.

No doubt in my mind Seabreeze is one of the best characters I've seen in the series to date.

img-2361620-2-lady_rarity_by_purplefairy

First off, I couldn't tell if he was a chick or a dude for a long time. I saw him getting a bit harsh with the other breezies at first, but I was like "Meh. It's like a coach and his team, I guess." Then the dude kept on and on, and I was getting irritated with the fella.

Then, I began to empathize with him a bit when he looked so upset and wanted to go home; he was homesick.

Then, all of a sudden, the dude displays hella cajones and goes out and faces near-death situations on his own.

"Damn, this bro really wants to get home."

He's fighting, tooth and nail, to get back to where he belongs, nearly dying a couple of times in the process.

Fluttershy saves him, blah blah blah blah, they turn into breezies and fly back home :D

BUT WAIT.

I don't have a picture right now, dagnabbit, but he was shown with a wife and a baby breezie.

He was willing to risk his life to get back home to his family.

That is something I can respect more than anything.

Bravo, little fella.

Bravo.

A problem I had with this episode was how buckin' creepy the Breezies looked :blink:

Those things looked frightening, and when the mane 6 became breezies...well...I was scared... :(

I didn't like them as breezies, nor did I like the fact they became breezies; overall, it was just a weird and foreign concept to me.

Eh. Whatcha gonna do -_-

Oh, and Rainbow Key Episode :D Gives it a plus.

Overall:

8.5/10

yay.

Oh yeah, Rarity and her sequins... I dunno, I didn't find that to be a shining moment for her(except perhaps literally). She was just there, being shiny and bright for no reason... didn't do too much for me honestly. :P
  • Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, Rarity and her sequins... I dunno, I didn't find that to be a shining moment for her(except perhaps literally). She was just there, being shiny and bright for no reason... didn't do too much for me honestly. :P

Different Strokes for Different Folks, I guess  ;) 

I just found it to be one of the high points of the whole episode; I thought it was humorous yet true to her character :D I dug it, brah. Plus, I thought it was cute as all get out, that helps out a lot :D

• Brohoof 1

Some things about this episode:

1. The design of the Breezies were wonderful. I didn't like them to start with, but the image yesterday gave me a much better perspective on them from their design. Seeing them up close today only shows how good their designs are.

2. Loved Seabreeze. He was an apprehensive jerk, but for a very good reason.

3. Really enjoyed the worldbuilding.

4. The M6 breezies were quite cute.

5. Loved how Fluttershy scolded the bees and told them to buzz off! :D

6. Like KCaFO, Fluttershy didn't need to overcome her shyness, but this time was about knowing when it's time to be firm and know when it's time for them to go.

7. The swearing in breezie language was too funny. XD

8. Excellent callback to Sonic Rainboom in the Intro, but feels fresh so it doesn't distract the audience.

Some problems I had here:

1. Plenty of the humor was very mechanical, relying on poor comedic timing and forced dialogue to get the humor when it wasn't needed.

2. Rarity's moment of humor (the reflective coats) was quite forced and didn't amount to anything.

3. Outside of Fluttershy, Twilight, Dash, the breezies, Seabreeze, and Spike, I wasn't really feeling the dialogue. Not that it was out of character or flanderized, but…I don't know. Unnatural, maybe? Mechanical?

4. The Breezie!M6 was cute, but the process was a major DEM.

After another couple of viewings, I'll get a better perspective, but right now, it doesn't completely click.

• Brohoof 1

2. Rarity's moment of humor (the reflective coats) was quite forced and didn't amount to anything.

I fail to see it as "forced" in anyway past forcing herself to take the bright coat off for her friend's (and the Breezies) sake.

I found it to be quite in character; you know she like to shine brightly and stand out, but you also know she didn't want to take off that coat, but did it anyway, only to reveal a shinier coat under it. Plus, the line itself was also quite funny, in my opinion, while staying completely in character.

I fail to see in anyway possible how one could call that "forced."

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@@ghostfacekiller39, Rarity's moment with the shiny coat isn't out of character. It just comes across as unnecessary.

To the plotline? Yeahh, it holds no bearing, as moments intended for humor often don't.

Unnecessary? Maybe, but a lot of Rarity's humorous moments are her being unnecessarily over the top like that.

It didn't affect the plot in any major way, but that doesn't make it bad.

I'd like to hear how you saw it as unnecessary, to be honest, past it came across as being unnecessary :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

I enjoyed seeing the Breezies appear, they were adorable and their Scottish accents were so cute and reminded me of Disney's Brave.

Why do I keep seeing people saying they had "Scottish accents"?  They sounded to me to be quite clearly Scandinavian accents of some sort.  Bet you anything this is the Breezies favorite holiday.  :comeatus:

Well, that was a pretty good episode.  I wouldn't say that it was the greatest thing ever, but it was cute.  I suppose that now they're able to make Mane 6 breezy toys...  That was a little bit annoying, but otherwise, I like the breezy design, and the message was good.

Now, I'm sure most of you have figured this out by now, but the key episodes seem to have two requirements: one, the character teaches someone else about their element and receives some sort of gift, and two, the character learns a lesson about the corruption of their element (Rarity's generosity caused others to take advantage of her, Rainbow Dash couldn't be loyal to everyone, Pinkie Pie overdid it with fun, and Fluttershy was too kind).  That makes me think that Applejack's key episode will have to do with being brutally honest, and Twilight's....  

img-2361563-1-darkmagic_png_by_zutheskun

Well, let's just say that I think that we might be in for the darkest season finale yet.

It makes me think that Applejack's key episode will be a sort of homage to "Setting a President" from the "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" series. Maybe the negative side to honesty for Applejack is that her brutal honesty can send the ponies around her in a panic that makes them less capable of handling the very real situation at hand. Part of being a leader is keeping up the morale so that people will be motivated to get things done rather than turn animalistic out of desperation, and it's hard to stay truthful while still accomplishing that. Try picturing an episode where Applejack is running against Mayor Mare for the title of Mayor of Ponyville.

(edited)

I just got started watching this and the breezies look like mini flutterponies

crossed with butterflies

I'm guessing the flutter ponies were the inspiration for them. 

Edited by My Little Mandy

You could always interpret it as a flashing joke that got past the radar.

I think this was one of the better eps

of this season and I do not tend to

hit the cute button but the Breezies

hit that anime fandom on me.  Also

did any one see Dr Hooves?!  I had

to rewind that ans said "Oh Snap!".

Having Fluttershy also take

a good firm hoof down was

a good twist in her canon

and I loved Sea Breeze to!

(edited)

Best pony, and now, best Breezie.  :blush:

A very cute episode, even a bit touching to see the Ponies help creatures in need. Really showed how kind Fluttershy really is. I figured this would be her Key episode too.

The Breezies were very cute, but Seabreeze was guy?  :blink:  Well, I guess after seeing his family, it didn't bother me at all.

Overall, a good episode. Very sweet and heartwarming, and I'm glad Fluttershy finally got her key.

Edited by takai

Hoorayz! Rainbow Key!

It would be pretty awesome for Rainbow Dash to get turned into a dragon, or at least a griffon. Ooh, I have a new episode idea! Twilight agrees to turn Rainbow Dash into a dragon so that the latter will stop bugging the former, but Twilight goofs it up and accidentally turns Dash into an Earth Pony.

I thought it was alright; 7/10. I don't have much to say. The episode's plot was pretty subtle, and we got to see another rainbow key. Who's left anyways? Rainbow Dash, pin; Pinkie Pie, chicken; Rarity, rainbow spool; Fluttershy, flower. So that means Apple Jack is still left.

Other pointers:

-Looks like Doctor Whooves is with Roseluck at the moment (hah! I think some episode writers are whovians themselves and are familiar with the Doctor Whooves headcanon)

-The breezies appear to be German (or at least, have the accent)

-When at the breezies' home, some ponies have cameo appearances as breezies (Babs Seed, Snips, Scootaloo, etc.).

Well that episode was meh. 7/10.

I liked the character of SeeBreeze. And seeing a male character like that in this show, as in one that is something other than a love interest or a gag character. Also, why did fluttershy not just fly them home? I mean they can stick to her, have her fly in the breeze to activate her magic, and have her fly them home. 

Also, another key.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yay! Hasbro gets to sell Mane 6 breezie toys! Isn't it nice? Well, good enough for me. Twilight finally got the deus ex machina spell working.  :huh:

What a nice episode. I was loving it up to the point where Fluttershy explains that you have to be nice, until you are not being heard, them you have to get paternalistic on their asses. What? I think I missed something, or maybe that was a case where it was justified because it seemed like the bees were going to kill Seabreeze. Anyway I like the actual moral of the episode: Too much kindness is not good, and neither is too few of it. Works for me.

I just love the breezies. Their model... Their speech... Everything about them. And this episode had a nice pacing, interesting world building showing the magical nature of Equestria. All the things that I like in a MLP: FIM episode. The Mane Six turning into breezies? Well, Twilight's spell didn't screw up things (I thought it would...). I think that is good... After thinking about it, it doesn't bother me because it was well integrated into the episode: it felt natural.

Did I say that I love the breezies carrying pollen in their saddlebags?  :yay:

EDIT: OH! How could I forget?! Fluttershy teaching the others to cheer silently? Brilliant!

Pinkie didn't feel overwhelming in this episode and that is a bonus the way I have been seeing her in this season. And Spike wasn't too stupid. Maybe Fluttershy's emotions seemed a bit overplayed? Not enough for me to really think it was bad. I can't find a thing to complain. Thanks DHX  ^_^

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 1

I fail to see it as "forced" in anyway past forcing herself to take the bright coat off for her friend's (and the Breezies) sake.

I found it to be quite in character; you know she like to shine brightly and stand out, but you also know she didn't want to take off that coat, but did it anyway, only to reveal a shinier coat under it. Plus, the line itself was also quite funny, in my opinion, while staying completely in character.

I fail to see in anyway possible how one could call that "forced."

Thus saith ghostfacekiller39. Rarity's prophet.

Let me sign below that. :lol:

• Brohoof 1