Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did Bronies get lumped into the "nice guy" neckbeard stereotype?

Grumpy Enchantress

I understood atheists getting lumped into it because there were a good amount of atheist vloggers who sort of met the stereotype and they might actually where it started from (not saying anything negative about atheists, I'm one myself just saying I can understand the stereotype) but since when did Bronies get mixed into this type of thing. Obese and lonely are natural stereotypes one could make from hearing we watch My Little Pony but seriously how did this whole "friendzoned nice guy" neckbeard thing get lumped into being a Brony?  :okiedokielokie:

Why do pictures like this even exist made by anyone other than trolls? (They were both made by Shmorky an internet artist who I wouldn't classify as a troll in any stretch of the imagination but for some reason he seems to have gotten this impression from Bronies.)

402831__safe_pinkie+pie_brony_twitter_fe

96028__safe_human_meta_brony_politics_lo

It's not just him either, there are lots of posts like this. I was on /r/gamegrumps and I just happened to run across someone who felt the need to declare they were leaving because "Reddit itself has been plagued with Nice Guy bronies who seem to act like they know everything while they really know nothing." Seriously, it was annoying as an atheist stereotype but it doesn't even make sense for Bronies, I haven't seen any Bronies like this at all.  :wacko:

If this is too drama heavy then sorry but, I'm just generally curious how people came to the conclusion we were like this. What do you guys think? Just the internet being general stereotypical dicks and randomly throwing us into a different category of stereotypes all together? But generally why? It seemed like Bronies had their own stereotypes before but now we're lumped into this one. :huh:  

• Brohoof 3

I'm probably going to get attacked for this, but there have only been a small handful of bronies I've met online/IRL who have been genuinely nice, good people.

The rest? Well, I don't know everyone, so I'm not going to say every other brony I don't know is like this.

The majority, however, have left a sour taste in my mouth which has even led me to abandon the "brony/pegasister" title and remain "closeted".

• Brohoof 6

Doesn't help some of us are actually doormats with beards. I myself am one but that's because I've been raised in strife and try to be as peaceful as can be despite having a hulk like anger problem. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm a 17 year old female, normal body weight, with a boyfriend, not gay, liberal/democrat, AND a brony. I don't feel like I fall into the above stereotype at all, but if some random hater clumps me into the 'nice guy group' then I suppose they must be right and must be taken OH so seriously.  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 4

Wow those 2 images are  almost the exact opposite of what I am. 

Married, Healthy body type and weight, not homophobic, sexist, librawhaterver BS that 2nd one was going on about.

Except sitting at my PC with the Plushie,  But I prefer AJ over Pinkie.

Ok I'll concede to being a "nice person" IRL.  Maybe not so much on forums.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

img-2360467-2-96028__safe_human_meta_bro

What the heck is up with the second image?? Libertarians are NOT the same as Republicans! Libertarians are socially liberal, and thus in favor of gender, racial, and sexuality equality! 

That image aside, have you seen the pictures of Bronies who go to cons and meetups? They're cringeworthy, and fit the stereotypes to a tee. Plus, Bronies have whined on social media before of being "Nice guys" who always get "friendzoned", so they fit that stereotype too. 

Brony_meetup.jpg

highres_161490912.jpeg

And BAM! There's ample cannon fodder for guys to laugh at Bronies and lump them in with neckbeard fedora types who whine about being friendzoned. Its not fair, nice, or representative, but its understandable of how it happens. 

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 5

Those cartoons aren't necessarily representative of all bronies, but there are some out like that out there, and it's honestly kind of hilarious  that there would be sexist, racist, homophobic, bronies, since, you know "Friendship is Magic". It's all kinds of ironic.

So the moral of this story: some people are dicks and some of those dicks are bronies.

• Brohoof 3

Those cartoons aren't necessarily representative of all bronies, but there are some out like that out there, and it's honestly kind of hilarious  that there would be sexist, racist, homophobic, bronies, since, you know "Friendship is Magic". It's all kinds of ironic.

So the moral of this story: some people are dicks and some of those dicks are bronies.

Welp, thh-thats all folks

• Brohoof 2

What the heck is up with the second image?? Libertarians are NOT the same as Republicans! Libertarians are socially liberal, and thus in favor of gender, racial, and sexuality equality! 

The Libertarian name has been co-opted by the far right for quite a while now. Remember there was this whole Tea Party thing, and Glenn Beck, and if I keep going like this, this thread is heading to locksville so don't reply to me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ok I'll concede to being a "nice person" IRL.  Maybe not so much on forums.

"Nice guy" is a term that to my understanding is supposed to refer to guys who only act "nice" so they can get laid and get pissed when they don't. 

These pictures are made by trolls, told lies by the "mainstream media"

No, I specifically chose these ones because they were done by Shmorky who I can pretty much guarantee isn't a troll. Hang on, I was looking for a comic he made where he basically said "Being a dick to a group of people isn't 'funny'" but I can't find it right now. I'll edit it in if I do.

Edit: Got it.

tumblr_md4zr99kG31r83ei3o1_1280.jpg

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

(edited)

The only image I can compare the cartoon ones to, is Simon from the yogscast

250px-Simon39785268.png

Other than that- I dont see any of them looking like that- they all look like pretty cool peeps to me.

not that simon from the yogscast isn't a cool guy

Edited by TheChosenPony
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, I may have an idea of how bronies may have been associated with that stereotype. My idea is that it's mostly perspective. Looking at the fandom from the perspective of an outsider who has no context or knowledge of the show and the fandom itself beyond the cloppers and you will have a pretty weird picture. There are some pretty awkward moments and photographs out there as well for strangers to stumble across... Of course there are the moderate fans mixed in as well, but which crowd is more noticable?

As for the stereotype itself... I resent that comment on us being neckbeards. I put a fair amount of care and effort into maintaining my beard and trim it every few days!

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Believe it or not, some guys are just sensitive, and nice, and care about more than just themeselves. It's a good thing to be nice to everyone always, frowning upon being nice is the most absurd thing I have ever heard, its a troll that is really upset that there are people out there that aren't like him.

• Brohoof 5

Believe it or not, some guys are just sensitive, and nice, and care about more than just themeselves. It's a good thing to be nice to everyone always, frowning upon being nice is the most absurd thing I have ever heard, its a troll that is really upset that there are people out there that aren't like him.

"Nice guy" is a term that to my understanding is supposed to refer to guys who only act "nice" so they can get laid and get pissed when they don't. 

Well my understanidng is that "nice" and "guy" are two different words and the word nice is an adjective used to describe a dispaly of kindness, a tleast in the real world.

Well, I may have an idea of how bronies may have been associated with that stereotype. My idea is that it's mostly perspective. Looking at the fandom from the perspective of an outsider who has no context or knowledge of the show and the fandom itself beyond the cloppers and you will have a pretty weird picture. There are some pretty awkward moments and photographs out there as well for strangers to stumble across... Of course there are the moderate fans mixed in as well, but which crowd is more noticable?

As for the stereotype itself... I resent that comment on us being neckbeards. I put a fair amount of care and effort into maintaining my beard and trim it every few days!

To be honest, People with neckbeards are particularly more fun to be with.

Markus Persson, Creator of Minecraft has a neckbeard

150px-Notch3.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Because most people who are in this fandom (general nerd culture as a whole) have self confidence issues, and chicks are turned off by that, duuuuuh. 

(edited)

You can determine that just by looking at them? >_>

I never said you can tell anything about them. All they do is fit the visual stereotypes to a tee. (Fedoras, odd facial hair, awkward body language, strange clothing) Now, for all we know these guys are super chill bros who are all on the lax team or the coolest guys at their schools.... but come on dude, we know they aren't. Is it a fair judgement? No, but their physical appearance is all the detractors of the fandom need to lump us all into one big negative category. And this is why I never mention liking this show to anyone.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/20-reasons-you-shouldnt-date-men-who-wear-fedoras

Use this as a reference if you don't believe me. The guys in that list might be super cool, awesome guys... but first impressions and physical appearances count for a lot in our society.

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 2

We're not talking about guys who are nice, we're talking about "nice guys". Dudes who do nice things for girls, but only under the assumption that this is supposed to get them laid. And then when they find out that women aren't sex vending machines that you pay for with good deed tokens, they get all passive-agressive and butthurt and whine about being "friendzoned".

• Brohoof 3

Well my understanidng is that "nice" and "guy" are two different words and the word nice is an adjective used to describe a dispaly of kindness, a tleast in the real world.

Yeah well obviously but it's become something that people label themselves as and then act like assholes and call women bitches for not fucking them and it's just kind of an ironic term now. That's why I put it in quotations.

• Brohoof 1