Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did Bronies get lumped into the "nice guy" neckbeard stereotype?

Grumpy Enchantress

Pfft, regardless of the situation, "nice guy" neckbearder's can get girlfriends/boyfriends, I should know, I've dated two. - Granted only one was a brony :B

But in all seriousness, stereotypes do come from valid truths, this has already probably been mentioned though, there is a portion of people in the fandom who fit certain stereotypes, it's a fact of life! You shouldn't put too too much thought into it honestly, You shouldn't hang out with people who will judge you based on your preferences...Unless you take pleasure in killing real people or committing other crimes, in which case you should hang out with those people because they might lead you on the track back to sanity. :B //two cents

On a side note, the stereotypes of bronies wearing fedora's is more common, since I went to the EQ film and saw multiple bronies possessing those hat types. XD

• Brohoof 2

It's as Cherry said, and apparently has evidence to prove unlike me because I don't date men (yet), and the bottom line for me in this argument. Some people act like that and you can't get around it. They're not exclusive to this fandom. And they're not necessarily definied by fedoras, neckbeards, and Mountain Dew. People who criticize bronies for that fail to see how diverse this fandom is, for good and for ill. And the 'for ill' bit? Yo, your fandom also has some nasty shit in it. Don't call us out when you have people of your own to call out.

Well, I'm a 19 year old college student who isn't interested in a relationship in the slightest....well, at least not since the girl I was attracted to moved to Texas. I miss her, but I've moved on. I wasn't actively looking for someone then, I'm not looking now, and I certainly don't think I fall into this stereotype (not that I think it should matter to anyone anyway).

As for whether or not I'm a "nice guy," I honestly despise the thought. I rarely think about sex, and I am a hardcore equalist. Nobody should be treated differently for race, gender, sexuality, religious beliefs, etc. in my opinion. For example: when I saw my friend's heart broken, because her boyfriend broke up with her over "not putting out" I just comforted her. I had no alterior motive, I didn't want in her pants, I didn't want to catch her on the rebound, I just wanted to give my teary-eyed friend a hug in hopes that it would cheer her up even if just a little. 

I usually don't come across as the friendliest person, since I'm very direct, a bit egotistical (I like to toot my own horn, but I don't ever try to belittle others), and often sarcastic in my quips. Despite this I've been told I'm a genuinely nice guy from my friends and family, and I rarely make enemies. Take with that what you will, because I feel like an asshole more than not.

I'm a 15 year old guy, I am a very kind person in general, I have been friendzoned by the girl I'm still trying for (very complicated situation since my two best friends are also trying to be with her).

I want to have a goatee when I'm older and out of the house

I also want to dress in ironic t-shirts, chinos, scarfs and fedoras (I think I'm going to be hated for saying that)

• 4 years later...

Things like this just happen, so we don't really have much control over it. It's best to ignore these things and not give others the light of day.

Edited by Cash In

Witch-hunting. Really needs no more explaining than that. All you need to do to get lumped into that category is have non-female parts down below. Then you only have two choices. You're either the overt-male jerk who is a trope in countless movies. Or you're not overtly a jerk. That means you must be covertly a jerk (nice guy), who merely hides all their sexist ways in an attempt to get lucky.

You can't disprove it, and that means you're guilty of witch-cr... err.... insert bad sociopolitical "ism" here.

• 3 weeks later...

It's works just the same with how Catholics are lumped into the nice guy robe-wearing stereotype.  

• 1 year later...