Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Home Town

Fanglore

hey everyone  :)

i was watching How To Train Your Dragon today and the opening got me thinking, how would i describe my home town in one word?

after some thought i have decided on "Historical". my home town values its heritage and hometownyness( :huh: if that's even a word) that the nicest building in town is the Heritage Museum. not to mention we still have the homes that our founders lived in. 

:eww:

:comeatus: so what is the one word to describe your home town

I live in a city where there is a weird mix, and somewhat of a clash, of rural and urban attitudes. Like, traveling a few miles in either direction will lead you to a hub of some kind, old stuff or just straight up farmland.

This may not be the first word you think of when you think "a city in Kansas", but I guess the word I would use is "Eclectic"

"Junkie" in case you don't know in Australia there are whole suburbs with nothing but Department of Housing (housos) houses which are basically the houses that poor suburbs have where most of the people who live in them are on the doll (paid by government) and/or junkies.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Stagnant :eww:

My town is the kind of place old people go to retire to. So politically and economy-wise, change is slow. People try to come here with cool building projects (like water parks and fun things), and then they get voted away by whiners.

Also, my area sometimes is physically stagnant, considering the high humidity and entirely flat landscape allows water to sit.

Or perhaps the word "Wannabe"

This town COULD have alot of potential. After all, we live in a warm, nearly tropical (but not quite) climate next to the world's longest undeveloped barrier island in the world. We have a sort of tourism industry here, but it all feels really pretend. Like, they're trying too hard to sell the idea that its a tropical paradise. In reality, we're relatively obscure for a "city", our beaches (while real) have greenish water with 3ft waves, non-native imported palm trees are numerous, and we're actually prone to extreme droughts.

Edited by crazitaco

Eccentric, that seems about right...

It's just that the place is so tripy, that you'd think it's like living in an LSD trip 24/7. Sure, it's got a bad rep for all the bad reasons but most of those are skin deep once you get to know the place.

Assimilated

I say this because my town has no truly defining characteristics to itself anymore. Once it was known as the go-to place. It was the fastest-growing town East of the Mississippi during and after WWII, given it's status as the home of one of the premier producers of military aircraft engines and parts. However, that was a long time ago, and that business (and this town) is basically just a shell of it's former self. We are bordered by four other towns (one of them a city, the capital), and my town, rather than having it's own distinctive identity, is a reflection of those bordering municipalities. Each part of the town closely resembles the town it is closest to.

This won't last long, however. While two of those towns are very nice places, Hartford, our capital city, is not, at least not the part that borders my town. Every year, the part of my town that resembles Hartford gets bigger and bigger, and it's spreading rapidly enough that it's obvious the majority of the town will be like that in another decade or so. It's amazing how much worse that side of town (where I grew up, incidentally) has gotten in the last 15-20 years. It's almost unrecognizable. 

• Brohoof 1

Heroism, a lot of great hajduks and freedom fighters come from my village, one of the most famous of them is the Dragon of Noćaj, my ancestor :) Another great word would be suffer, since the village was burned more times by nazis, ustashe and commies.

(edited)

I wish I could say "tranquil", but I got two words to describe it actually: cruel, miserable. Can't wait to leave this place and and move to someplace more my liking, like Clearwater, Florida

Edited by Zekromic

I live in a city where there is a weird mix, and somewhat of a clash, of rural and urban attitudes. Like, traveling a few miles in either direction will lead you to a hub of some kind, old stuff or just straight up farmland.

This may not be the first word you think of when you think "a city in Kansas", but I guess the word I would use is "Eclectic"

Just outta curiosity, what city in Kansas do you live in? I'm stationed here at Fort Riley and you just described Manhattan to a tee.

White Trash....

seriously, where I originally grew up in was a very run down trailer park (you have no idea how run down) with about 100 trailer homes that was surrounded by woods and cornfields. The town itself was 5 miles away....

Town I'm living in right now, not where i was born, so that said *clears throat*

-- Listen as you Read --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_5PUrquBtw&list=PLC4C29B263B8AA493

"This is Buda, TX...your typical southern little town. It has its cows and horses, its goats and long horns. And the people here are as friendly as they come. For the most part life goes on peacefully, though with its flaws of over construction, and new people constantly moving in, making this little town bigger by the season. It's hotter then Hadis in the summer, and its not nearly cold or wet enough for our winters... But every Spring, the wild blue bonnets bloom, and green returns to our fields, hiding the inevitable drought that we would face in the summer."

- Lightning Bliss

• Brohoof 1

Interesting

Decades ago, my hometown, Ballincollig, served as an Army Barracks and it even had an airstrip. So when you were on the main road in the village, there was the small shops on one side of the road and a huge wall concealing the barracks on the other side of the road. When the Army Barracks closed, they were seriously considering building an airport in Ballincollig because of the airstrip, but that plan was eventually scrapped. Today, there is a shopping centre, a police station and a fuck ton of empty units standing where the barracks used to be.