Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Know any good Urban Legends?

Alpha-neos

(edited)

The title says it all.

I actually got one of my own.

Gold strand.

Its a little gold hair on your head or beard.

It signifies wisdom.

You can have as many on you (if you can find them).

If you see it, you know you know got wisdom!

But I'd advise you don't cut it though.

I don't know what happens if you do.

And I really don't wanna find out.

So what Urban Legends do you know? 

-a~N

Edited by Alpha-neos

(edited)

Uhhhhh this question does only apply to people with religion right?

Ha! XD

Nah it doesn't.

Urban Legends are all kinds of stories.

Told over and over but different each time.

It doesn't only apply to people with religion.

Because everyone has a urban legend.

Edited by Alpha-neos

The Ogopogo of Okanogan Lake is a famous Urban Legend. It's like British Columbia's equivalent to Scotland's Loch Ness Monster. Also the Sasquatch is allegedly from B.C. but I seriously doubt that guy.

One thing I like to tally up to Urban Legend is the license taken with realism in The Dark Knight Rises, specifically the scene where apparently Bane has coked up a bunch of Gotham's concrete with explosives.

batman10.jpg

Concrete is very susceptible to additives, which means even adding a little bit of chalk or sand to its mix can seriously affect its rigidity and strength performance. (You can put in concrete additives which make it dry faster or slower, result in lighter color, greater hardness, etc.) Adding enough explosives to the concrete to actually make them be able to detonate using an active electric current however, would seriously change its strength in hardened form. Unless Building Contractors of Gotham NEVER do on-the-spot strength tests of the concrete they purchase (which is done quite regularly if you're paying for a decent contractor in the real world), the scenario you see in the movie would never happen.

Even if it did, the concrete would probably be set off by electrical groundings that often run through concrete, whenever somebody blew a fuse.

Holy crap....

I didn't even think about that. O-o

(edited)

There are alligators living in the sewers of New York City because people used to buy them as pets but when they got too big they shoved them down the storm drains.

And there are rats as big as cats in the New York subway tunnels.

The other one I heard is wildly inappropriate and I don't wanna get banned for telling it.

Edited by chocolate cake

There are alligators living in the sewers of New York City because people used to buy them as pets but when they got too big they shoved them down the storm drains.

And there are rats as big as cats in the New York subway tunnels.

The other one I heard is wildly inappropriate and I don't wanna get banned for telling it.

Ever heard of the one where this girl is dared to go a cemetery and stick a knife into a grave.

And when she did and tried to leave, she couldn't get up because something was grabbing her and she died of fright.

When the cops found her, the knife she stabbed into the grave was stabbed through her dress.

That's kind of a common one though. 

(edited)

Holy crap....

I didn't even think about that. O-o

There's as much art as science in building roads and infrastructure. There's an entire world under your feet and no one even thinks about it.

Like how asphalt as actually just like an umbrella, and what actually does the load-bearing on roads is a specific kind of gravel that's hidden underneath (which must be protected from being disturbed from traffic or rain, hence the asphalt.) But that's not very legendy.

Here's a good one:

The appearance of cars on buildings.

prank-car.jpg

article-2339331-01C363E600000578-140_634

These are real cars on real buildings. How they get there is a mystery, beyond the description "Engineering student pranks". The first one is a VW Beetle suspended under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver, which suddenly appeared there one morning. (It had to be cut down, since it was blocking ship traffic.)

Edited by Blue

There's as much art as science in building roads and infrastructure. There's an entire world under your feet and no one even thinks about it.

Like how asphalt as actually just like an umbrella, and what actually does the load-bearing on roads is a specific kind of gravel that's hidden underneath (which must be protected from being disturbed from traffic or rain, hence the asphalt.) But that's not very legendy.

Here's a good one:

The appearance of cars on buildings.

img-2366586-1-prank-car.jpg

img-2366586-2-article-2339331-01C363E600

These are real cars on real buildings. How they get there is a mystery, beyond the description "Engineering student pranks". The first one is a VW Beetle suspended under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver, which suddenly appeared there one morning. (It had to be cut down, since it was blocking ship traffic.)

I bet it took a lot of work to get them there.

But still thats very amazing. O__O

Once upon a time, on a dark and stormy night, there was this place on the internet called MLPForums. And everybody who went there died!

...that's a true story. It may not be true now, but eventually it will be.

• Brohoof 3

Once upon a time, on a dark and stormy night, there was this place on the internet called MLPForums. And everybody who went there died!

...that's a true story. It may not be true now, but eventually it will be.

Yeah I think it could come true.

I just almost died laughing. XD

My dad told me this one yesterday (he's said it before, but he likes to tell old stories again and again).

A while ago (about 30 years ago), someone on the upper deck of the interstate swerved and fell off the bridge and fell to the bottom onto the service road, flat on four wheels...and he drove off as if nothing ever happened.

(edited)

Yes, there are tales that this one house near me is haunted. (Story time with Celtore!)

Long ago, a very successful hotel was built in 1890 at the outskirts of my city. It was decently sized, five floors high with over 120 rooms. It was a hotel and spa, known far and wide for its sulphur springs. The hotel had to shut down in 1940 due to increasing standards in the hotel industry and became a clinic. The clinic shut down years later and became a retirement home; it all goes down from here.

By the 1980's, the hotel was a shadow of its former self. Several sections had severe water damage and staff had to use their own money to pay for food and heating for the residents. The retirement home closed for good in 1990 and today, the interior is still an utter wreck. Many have tried to restore the building, but none of them yet have had the resources to fully repair it.

This is where the legends comes in. There are a few stories about that hotel ranging from mysterious circumstances (like the top floor being illuminated despite electricity being disconnected) to ghostly confrontations involving the old caretaker. There are also some hair-raising tales I've heard about fatalities involved with that building: kids falling down the elevator shaft, important guests leaping off the roof into the streets and one alleged incident I really don't think I should mention.

I don't believe in any of it myself besides the historical facts about the building itself, but it's still pretty cool to know that much about a building many people just idly drive by each day. Plus it's fun to know that obscure local legend.

Edited by Celtore

There's an urban legend of my town.

My town supposedly has catacombs that are over a hundred years old, running under it. They were last used to transport ammunition from the factories to the trains that hauled them off.

I have yet to find the entrance of them....despite my extensive exploration of my town. It's written in the history books of my town. and they also lead to various buildings that were deemed "important" back in the day.So my guess the entrances/exits have all been sealed/hidden OR they're just not publicly accessible.

Whether it's true or not....that's another story.But then I guess that's why it's called an "urban Myth".

(edited)

I'm into the dark and disturbing legends...like Bloody Mary, or those stories about bugs getting into people's skin (the latter freaks me out O_O)

I also love gaming legends like Polybius. (Hey, anyone know some good gaming urban legends? :lol:)

Edited by Midnight Dragon

One night a woman went out for drinks with her girlfriends. She left the bar fairly late at night, got in her car and onto the deserted highway. After a few minutes she noticed a lone pair of headlights in her rear-view mirror, approaching at a pace just slightly quicker than hers. As the car pulled up behind her she glanced and saw the turn signal on — the car was going to pass — when suddenly it swerved back behind her, pulled up dangerously close to her tailgate and the brights flashed.

Now she was getting nervous. The lights dimmed for a moment and then the brights came back on and the car behind her surged forward. The frightened woman struggled to keep her eyes on the road and fought the urge to look at the car behind her. Finally, her exit approached but the car continued to follow, flashing the brights periodically.

Through every stoplight and turn, it followed her until she pulled into her driveway. She figured her only hope was to make a mad dash into the house and call the police. As she flew from the car, so did the driver of the car behind her — and he screamed, "Lock the door and call the police! Call 911!"

When the police arrived the horrible truth was finally revealed to the woman. The man in the car had been trying to save her. As he pulled up behind her and his headlights illuminated her car, he saw the silhouette of a man with a butcher knife rising up from the back seat to stab her, so he flashed his brights and the figure crouched back down.

• Brohoof 1